Oh boy, trophy hacking coming to PS4?

angelgrievous

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

Make all games reportable already, the team can ignore the ones that are legit

I have to agree with this.

No matter how hard anybody tries, hackers will find a way to manipulate the games they play. Some will get caught of course, but the sad truth is the majority of them end up never getting caught, some of whom have continuously been hacking for many years.

Trophy hacking destroys the entire point of the hobby. Oh look somebody earned all trophies in 50 games in just two days. That's not accomplishing anything, that's just trying to make yourself stand out when you're really just manipulating the system Sony and other big companies have built up.

I'm disappointed that Sony will go out of their way to ban an account with an inappropriate name, but let countless hackers continue to abuse the games they play without even a slap on the wrist. Thankfully I think PSNPROFILES does a good job in separating the cheaters from the legit players. But unfortunately there are more who haven't been reported.

I would have no problem with people manipulating their saves if it was only for single player games and trophies wouldn't unlock because of it. What people do in their own games isn't a problem, but it becomes a problem when it affects other peoples experience. Like people using cheats in MP games or gathering trophies they did not really earn.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I have to agree with this.

No matter how hard anybody tries, hackers will find a way to manipulate the games they play. Some will get caught of course, but the sad truth is the majority of them end up never getting caught, some of whom have continuously been hacking for many years.

Trophy hacking destroys the entire point of the hobby. Oh look somebody earned all trophies in 50 games in just two days. That's not accomplishing anything, that's just trying to make yourself stand out when you're really just manipulating the system Sony and other big companies have built up.

I'm disappointed that Sony will go out of their way to ban an account with an inappropriate name, but let countless hackers continue to abuse the games they play without even a slap on the wrist. Thankfully I think PSNPROFILES does a good job in separating the cheaters from the legit players. But unfortunately there are more who haven't been reported.

4 hours ago, QuinlanLJ said:

I would have no problem with people manipulating their saves if it was only for single player games and trophies wouldn't unlock because of it. What people do in their own games isn't a problem, but it becomes a problem when it affects other peoples experience. Like people using cheats in MP games or gathering trophies they did not really earn.

Or at least when rng is too much hassle? Like on Knack with Diamond Knack. Regardless, people will use the editor for manipulating stats and collectibles, say for Arkham Knight, Uncharted, Tomb Raider (would think multiplayer stats could be done thru save, since deleting save sets you at level 1), but don't expect it to help any for CoD, Battlefield, Overwatch, and the like. If there's save editing for CoD, it will be for campaign, as always, and many people will use it to get Mile Run trophy.

Edited by Parker
  • Like 1

3400+ titles. That is insanity. I know a lot of people like to double stack or in Sound Shapes case, stack the same game six times. But this guy George is proof some people take things way too far.

When you look at the 'Dirty' leaderboards here you see some pretty insane trophy completists, of course they platted 20 - 100 different games in less than a weeks time, which is only possible legit if you planned well ahead of time to where you only need one or two trophies before the platinum. People have done it (the record is close to 100 I believe) legit, but when cheaters do that several times, on games that are either very time consuming or very difficult, you know something is up.

Edited by Parker

I don't understand people wasting 70$ on this and I don't get why you'd hack in general. For me it'd take all of the enjoyment out of the game (even when you're not playing a game explicitly for trophies), but to each their own I guess. I understand making something like this from a hard- and software standpoint, because boy would it be interesting to find out how the saves work and how you can manage to manipulate them, but I'd never buy it. So easy money for the guys (or gals) that made it, kudos to you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shakie19 said:

Come on Sony, sort this BS out and get it patched. Where is the fun in this? What do you really gain from using it? 

shakie19.png

To be fair, the original intent of the product is not so harmful as far as I can tell.  I used Game Genie when I was younger on games that I had played and finished and only wanted to have some extra fun with.  It could also be used by some that don't really have time to sink into a game to get all of said games content. Games that have content locked behind long grinds or multiple playthroughs can be cut through with this thing.  Hopefully, Sony can find a way to disable online play and trophies when using this product, much like how mods are handled in Fallout 4. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

To be fair, the original intent of the product is not so harmful as far as I can tell.  I used Game Genie when I was younger on games that I had played and finished and only wanted to have some extra fun with.  It could also be used by some that don't really have time to sink into a game to get all of said games content. Games that have content locked behind long grinds or multiple playthroughs can be cut through with this thing.  Hopefully, Sony can find a way to disable online play and trophies when using this product, much like how mods are handled in Fallout 4. 

Yeah, I mean, I don't want to see the leaderboards tarnished. But I bought and used a GameShark, back in the day. A lot of times, because I got stuck on games, and didn't have the internet readily available. I only legit beat FFX for the first time on the PS4. Sometimes, you just want to beat a game, and see how the story ends. 

• Like 2

Were you guys even reading the compatible games, and what it does? The 3DS version might be interesting at some points, but the PS4 or PS3 version are kinda... meh.

Example... In GTA5 (PS4), offline-mode, max money on all three characters... Wow... You have in that game way too much money anyway... :awesome: 

In Pokemon you could have 999 Masterballs, or however it's called in English, which makes even the hardest catchable legendaries an instant-catch and would save a lot of money. Oh, wait, you can max out your PokeDollars, and all your items. Also TMs. So, why would you need money anyway? Ah, and you can even trigger Event-Pokemon.

Also, you are only allowed to use one PSN account with it. ...Ehh, that means, the server of that thing knows your PSN ID. No thanks, I don't think you would want to be marked as cheater. Imagine they get hacked. This is the latest possible moment Sony would figure it out. And then it's even proofed without any effort. Because, why else is your ID on their servers?

Not really sweating it as I think most people won't use this for trophy hunting. 99% of us who actually do this for fun wouldn't even touch it because it completely ruins the point of hunting in the first place.

We'll probably see a few questionable fastest plats occasionally, but whatever. It doesn't ruin the big picture of trophy hunting.

1 minute ago, Meepy- said:

Nothing special, just a save editor that's overpriced currently. Still waiting for the PS4 to get a good homebrew scene like the PS3.

The only good homebrew scene I know involves lautering and mash tuns.  If the PS4 can pull that off then it would save me a ton of money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, angelgrievous said:

The only good homebrew scene I know involves lautering and mash tuns.  If the PS4 can pull that off then it would save me a ton of money.

I think the psp, the dreamcast, and the original xbox had the most active homebrew communities. It is a little fishy as to why it needs to know your psn ID, and at that price I can't imagine too many people will buy it.

Edited by SnowxSakura

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

I think the psp, the dreamcast, and the original xbox had the most active homebrew communities.

I bought a Dreamcast from a flea market that was hacked but the roms ran like garbage.  I just bought a PSP and I am in the process ripping my games to run on it.  Lots of downloading and unzipping going on.

7 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I don't see why them earning trophies matters to you, honestly.

Other than for leaderboards like on here, I can understand that. But in general? I don't get it. I don't see the satisfaction someone gets, but it hardly stops me from enjoying getting a platinum. And there are plenty of current "legit" ways that defeat the "purpose" of earning a trophy. Guides, exploits, "cheap" methods, boosting, etc. They all defeat the purpose of truly earning them in the strictest sense of the word, yet... many wouldn't deem that "cheating". While some would.

It's in the eye of the beholder really.

Playing videogames is no different than "playing" any other sport or activity, or really anything involving more than one person for that matter.  While videogames were mostly a personal experience, the advent of online gaming has changed that, eSports have made it more than what is once was and it's not unreasonable for that to pour over into other aspects of gaming, like gamer scores and trophy leaderboards. 

" it’s said that when chased by a bear, you don’t need to outrun the bear; you just need to outrun your friend. Similarly, to win a championship, a promotion, or a date, you need only to beat the immediate competition, whether a team, a colleague, or a fellow suitor."

It is our nature to want to compete with our peers.  Society as a whole is eager to advance and the only way to do so is to seek someone or something better than ourselves to try and best. Without competition we are left with just being just.  Yeah, maybe people are just wanting to show their epeen, or maybe they just want someone to say "Hey, nice job".  Maybe somebody got the plat in Axiom Verge in 3 hours and you said to yourself "I bet I can get it in 2".

"Psychologically speaking, competition has been seen as an inevitable consequence of the psychoanalytic view of human drives and is a natural state of being. According to Sigmund Freud, humans are born screaming for attention and full of organic drives for fulfillment in various areas. Initially, according to this view, we compete for the attention of our parents—seeking to attract it either from siblings or from the other parent. Thereafter, we are at the mercy of a battle between our base impulses for self-fulfillment and social and cultural mores which prohibit pure indulgence."

It is a race to the top and everyone is on board.  I heard the winner gets a golden ticket.  Just don't be Beauregarde and chew the gum.

4 hours ago, azlanslayer said:

The price is rather steep though compared to free softwares like henkaku or bruteforce. I don't see it being used by a lot of people, but then again this type of software can be cracked and gave out on torrent websites.

Oh, you already know it'll be cracked by programmers and have a free version released. $70 for this? The developer of it must be high. It's like when Xploder came out for purchase, yet Bruteforce took its place.

2 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

Were you guys even reading the compatible games, and what it does? The 3DS version might be interesting at some points, but the PS4 or PS3 version are kinda... meh.

Example... In GTA5 (PS4), offline-mode, max money on all three characters... Wow... You have in that game way too much money anyway... :awesome: 

In Pokemon you could have 999 Masterballs, or however it's called in English, which makes even the hardest catchable legendaries an instant-catch and would save a lot of money. Oh, wait, you can max out your PokeDollars, and all your items. Also TMs. So, why would you need money anyway? Ah, and you can even trigger Event-Pokemon.

Also, you are only allowed to use one PSN account with it. ...Ehh, that means, the server of that thing knows your PSN ID. No thanks, I don't think you would want to be marked as cheater. Imagine they get hacked. This is the latest possible moment Sony would figure it out. And then it's even proofed without any effort. Because, why else is your ID on their servers?

Hmm, are you sure it's one PSN account, or just one computer?

2 hours ago, Slipknot_rooney said:

Can't say I'd lose sleep over it. I don't think I've ever looked at someone else's profile and cared what platinum's they have. Although, If they have My Name Is Mayo or something similar, I automatically consider them a trophy whore lol, you cheapskate you, gameplay my ass! :giggle:

Heyyyyy, my thumb got worn out from playing the Vita and PS4 versions :(. Who knows what GOTY edition will be like

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I hope Sony patches this.

Really doubtful. They would have to change the savegame structure, which would probably take another firmware update -- and then the tool will just be updated for it. Really, they couldn't do anything about PS3/Vita, so PS4 saves will be fucked. Your best hope is getting Sly to implement reports for PS4 games, and hope you can easily discern PS4 trophy hackers. (I do believe, that if spoofer/online access comes to those on 1.76, they would trophy hack the same way Vita was able to.) But don't expect too many people to drop $70+ for this. Majority will wait till it's cracked.

1 hour ago, Meepy- said:

Nothing special, just a save editor that's overpriced currently. Still waiting for the PS4 to get a good homebrew scene like the PS3.

Homebrew...think that's only possible on devkits, since PS4 has only been jailbroken privately (as in, showcased and sent directly to Sony to be patched the next firmware update), so don't expect homebrew, though Movian would be nice.

14 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Playing videogames is no different than "playing" any other sport or activity, or really anything involving more than one person for that matter.  While videogames were mostly a personal experience, the advent of online gaming has changed that, eSports have made it more than what is once was and it's not unreasonable for that to pour over into other aspects of gaming, like gamer scores and trophy leaderboards. 

" it’s said that when chased by a bear, you don’t need to outrun the bear; you just need to outrun your friend. Similarly, to win a championship, a promotion, or a date, you need only to beat the immediate competition, whether a team, a colleague, or a fellow suitor."

It is our nature to want to compete with our peers.  Society as a whole is eager to advance and the only way to do so is to seek someone or something better than ourselves to try and best. Without competition we are left with just being just.  Yeah, maybe people are just wanting to show their epeen, or maybe they just want someone to say "Hey, nice job".  Maybe somebody got the plat in Axiom Verge in 3 hours and you said to yourself "I bet I can get it in 2".

"Psychologically speaking, competition has been seen as an inevitable consequence of the psychoanalytic view of human drives and is a natural state of being. According to Sigmund Freud, humans are born screaming for attention and full of organic drives for fulfillment in various areas. Initially, according to this view, we compete for the attention of our parents—seeking to attract it either from siblings or from the other parent. Thereafter, we are at the mercy of a battle between our base impulses for self-fulfillment and social and cultural mores which prohibit pure indulgence."

It is a race to the top and everyone is on board.  I heard the winner gets a golden ticket.  Just don't be Beauregarde and chew the gum.

If sports or activities could be just you playing Football, or whatever, and then deciding "I'm going to just use my hands!" and it... not affecting literally anyone else. Then sure.

How does someone choosing to edit their single player game save to have max currency, or levels, affect you? What competition? Sites like this already ban obvious cheaters from leaderboards. And, some games have microtransations that effectively do the same via selling ingame currency, boosters, and experience. So are people who buy those ruining your experience?

Did people who bought currency in Cross Edge ruin your trophy earning all these years? No? Didn't think so. So... and not everyone earns trophies for "competition". I sure don't.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

If sports or activities could be just you playing Football, or whatever, and then deciding "I'm going to just use my hands!" and it... not affecting literally anyone else. Then sure.

How does someone choosing to edit their single player game save to have max currency, or levels, affect you? What competition? Sites like this already ban obvious cheaters from leaderboards. And, some games have microtransations that effectively do the same via selling ingame currency, boosters, and experience. So are people who buy those ruining your experience?

Did people who bought currency in Cross Edge ruin your trophy earning all these years? No? Didn't think so. So... and not everyone earns trophies for "competition". I sure don't.

I didn't mean to come off as antagonizing, sorry if I did.  I was just trying to legitimize others defensive responses to this.  I'm sure this site will handle any "cheaters" accordingly but I'm not sure how it will affect the PSN standings.  Not that I really mind, mind you, just saying.  Anyone choosing to do anything, be it gaming or otherwise, does not affect me in the slightest.  I just think if there is a platform for hierarchy there should be some sort of control or regulation.  

Edited by angelgrievous

5 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I didn't mean to come off as antagonizing, sorry if I did.  I was just trying to legitimize others defensive responses to this.  I'm sure this site will handle any "cheaters" accordingly but I'm not sure how it will affect the PSN standings.  Not that I really mind, mind you, just saying.  Anyone choosing to do anything, be it gaming or otherwise, does not affect me in the slightest.  I just think if there is a platform for hierarchy there should be some sort of control or regulation.  

AFAIK, the English release of this tool doesn't even come till like March/April -- so I'd think by then, or by the time it gets cracked and released for free, that it would be a bigger concern to the community. Though $70 is way too much, especially if you look at the developer's twitter and see that he initially planned to release it for free.

11 hours ago, kuuhaku said:

The "sound shapes bug" was apparently patched out in an older firmware. But deleting your save and redownloading would autopop any trophies in games that worked that way. Doing so on a ps3 would get you flagged as it did with @Super-Fly Spider-Guy

Yup.

I did everything on LBP 2, acquired the DLC, borrowed a PS Move system, all of it. I did it on my missus' PS3, then copied the save off to my PS3 and did instapopped all the shit there as I had the game installed on both for boosting purposes, and all the trophies dinged. Problem was, my original timestamps, the ones I got on her PS3 should have, in theory, overwrote the ones I got with the instapop when I synced her PS3, but instead the instapop ones overwrote the ones on her PS3. 

Anyway, we gave that PS3 to a friend ages ago when she moved out and no longer could play her roommate's PS3. Good riddance.

• Like 1