Oh boy, trophy hacking coming to PS4?

angelgrievous

14 minutes ago, doordie19822015 said:

Don't really see the point of hacking.Why waste money on game then hack?Your eventually gonna get caught or accused. A hacker is like a rapist they hide and do what they do in the dark and when their alone.

The only way to get caught is if they make it astoundingly easy to see they're hacking (via trophies popping, or perhaps online modding -- very unlikely). Save editing wouldn't really help much in online community, but rather for single-player (though this can hurt a lot of rankings, as someone could use cheats in Dark Souls III or something. Or use god mode in COD's campaign mode) But in that regards, saves would help more for stats, than actual modding -- which would require a jailbroken PS4 (good luck with that).

4 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I don't see why them earning trophies matters to you, honestly.

Other than for leaderboards like on here, I can understand that. But in general? I don't get it. I don't see the satisfaction someone gets, but it hardly stops me from enjoying getting a platinum. And there are plenty of current "legit" ways that defeat the "purpose" of earning a trophy. Guides, exploits, "cheap" methods, boosting, etc. They all defeat the purpose of truly earning them in the strictest sense of the word, yet... many wouldn't deem that "cheating". While some would.

It's in the eye of the beholder really.

I'm with you, but it's not about me. In all honesty I wouldn't care and don't care if people hack trophies. As you said it doesn't and shouldn't affect me. But to some people it's a big deal. And it is kind of unfair to certain people who bust their nuts off just to get a certain hard platinum when someone else comes and does it with ease through hacking. Some people enjoy hunting rare trophies and people hacking could destroy their satisfaction in earning a trophy that becomes well not so rare. Not to mention the trophy rarity pretty much becomes useless at that point.

And I don't really agree that exploits and boosting are the same thing. It's part of the game, it may not be the most legit way of earning certain tedious trophies, but the game or the save files don't get tampered with so it's pretty much fair game as the developers themselves made it possible. But as you said, opinions vary on the subject.

7 minutes ago, Parker said:

No, a rapist and someone who hacks trophies are nothing alike. Rapists generally aren't "desperate" for sex, it is about the power and control over a woman (or man) for them, someone who hacks trophies just wants to look cool for random people on the internet.

Parker

Not trying to change the thread to raping or start drama but a rapist will rape just to rape has nothing to do with control really.In prison it might mite but if a dude wants it he will take it just like a hacker will hack for his thats all I'm saying.I see your point too.

Edited by doordie19822015

1 minute ago, Parker said:

Almost 4 years of Law Enforcement experience tells me otherwise, I've dealt with plenty of rapists and they didn't "rape just to rape." I suppose we'll agree to disagree and get the thread back on topic. B)

Parker

Thats funny I worked for Cook County and see it different

53 minutes ago, doordie19822015 said:

Not trying to change the thread to raping or start drama but a rapist will rape just to rape has nothing to do with control really.In prison it might mite but if a dude wants it he will take it just like a hacker will hack for his thats all I'm saying.I see your point too.

50 minutes ago, Parker said:

Almost 4 years of Law Enforcement experience tells me otherwise, I've dealt with plenty of rapists and they didn't "rape just to rape." I suppose we'll agree to disagree and get the thread back on topic. B)

Parker

Sorry to drag it off some more, but Parker's completely right dude. I completed a diploma on youth work late last year and had plenty of interactions with members of law enforcement, youth help groups, all that shit, and in particular, sexual assault cases. Literally every time rape came up, which was a god damned lot (holy shit, some of the crap young people go through is horrible, and surprise, I have a new course this year that's a lot happier), it was always about power.

I used to think the same way, you know, someone's just really horny, someone can't hold it in anymore and they snap. Sure, there are cases like that, but they are a lot rarer. Most of the time, rapes are committed, at least in Australia, by people who knew the victim personally, who usually had a trust built up with them, or a position of power over them, or they knew of a vulnerability or something else to exploit. As shitty as it is, that's how it is.

So anyway, I'll take someone fucking around with some digital achievements over my uncle fiddling with me any day.

• Like 4

Whatever..

the only outcome it could cause is: Decreasing of "Ultra Rare" trophies on this site and alike.

and maybe some chaotic events in some multiplayer domains :huh:.

also i think device like this and similar activities only do harm to those who uses them, a lot of risk involved, and you could even loss your account (because its violation of EULA)

and access to all games you bought digitally :rolleyes:.

11 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

To be fair, the original intent of the product is not so harmful as far as I can tell.  I used Game Genie when I was younger on games that I had played and finished and only wanted to have some extra fun with.  It could also be used by some that don't really have time to sink into a game to get all of said games content. Games that have content locked behind long grinds or multiple playthroughs can be cut through with this thing.  Hopefully, Sony can find a way to disable online play and trophies when using this product, much like how mods are handled in Fallout 4. 

I can agree with you on this one. It's just my personal preference not to use any cheat systems. 

I mean life without the grind would be a lonely one for me 

Edited by shakie19
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, nyantzu1986 said:

Whatever..

the only outcome it could cause is: Decreasing of "Ultra Rare" trophies on this site and alike.

and maybe some chaotic events in some multiplayer domains :huh:.

also i think device like this and similar activities only do harm to those who uses them, a lot of risk involved, and you could even loss your account (because its violation of EULA)

and access to all games you bought digitally :rolleyes:.

That would be whatever to you. If I ever succeed in getting the platinum trophy for SMB, I want them brag rights. I don't want to share them with some 14 year old cheeky bugger who happend to hack them. 

Edited by Starflakes

6 hours ago, ArmoredSquirreXD said:

Hmm, are you sure it's one PSN account, or just one computer?

1ユーザーライセンス:7,800円(税抜)/3ユーザーライセンス:14,800円(税抜)
1 user license: 7,800 yen (excluding tax) / 3 user license: 14,800 yen (tax excluded)

PS4がソニーのネットワークサービス「PSN」に接続できる環境およびネットワークID(PSN ID)
Environment and network ID (PSN ID) that PS4 can connect to Sony's network service "PSN"

本製品は複数のパソコンで使用することができます(編集できるセーブデータはすべてのパソコンで共通です)。
This product can be used with multiple computers (Saveable data that can be edited is common to all PCs).

6 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

How does someone choosing to edit their single player game save to have max currency, or levels, affect you? What competition? Sites like this already ban obvious cheaters from leaderboards. And, some games have microtransations that effectively do the same via selling ingame currency, boosters, and experience. So are people who buy those ruining your experience?

^ They are right.

AC:Rogue microtransaction are doing the same as this tool provides. Adding ressources to upgrade your ship. So basicly microtransactions are cheats too, just with the difference that you paid for them.

Edited by Neputyunu

The arrogance on some people though. I have earned my trophies the legit way. I am bothered by the fact that a device exists which can make life incredibly easy for people. When biking, and you win things through hard work, you set record times ... And then someone comes along with an amazing drug increasing all performances to incredible levels, he is easily getting to even your records or even does it better. If you think, from a logical point of view, that this is acceptable, then I have some bad news for you. 

Edited by Starflakes
  • Like 2

I do not get it. I treat trophies as addition and way too explore all what devs given us players in their product. Hacking your own trophys is like sex with random person in a dark room after too manu shots of tequila. You cant see their face, wont remember a lot so what was a point?

1 hour ago, Elvick_ said:

In my opinion, if you get bothered by this... maybe try not to. Because it's in your hands to be bothered by this. If knowing you got the trophy legit isn't enough for you, then maybe you should re-evaluate why you're even doing this.

"Just don't get bothered by it." is pretty much what you can say about anything people get bothered by. But the thing is it's not always easy to not get bothered by things. You don't get bothered by it but some take it personally. It's pretty a natural thing and saying "just try not to get bothered by something" is an easy thing to say when you're not the one bothered by it. Is it a stupid thing to get bothered by? Yes. But people can't always control that even if they want to.

40 minutes ago, QuinlanLJ said:

"Just don't get bothered by it." is pretty much what you can say about anything people get bothered by. But the thing is it's not always easy to not get bothered by things. You don't get bothered by it but some take it personally. It's pretty a natural thing and saying "just try not to get bothered by something" is an easy thing to say when you're not the one bothered by it. Is it a stupid thing to get bothered by? Yes. But people can't always control that even if they want to.

And I say that about pretty much everything. Offense is taken, not given. Particularly in silly instances like this, where it's someone else doing something for themselves and you decide to let that ruin your personal experience. Even somehow demanding other people stop enjoying something the way they want to, just so you can continue to enjoy things the way you want to. Which is a bit narcissistic. "You can't put  mustard on pie, that's disgusting. I can't even eat pie knowing you do this. You can't do that anymore or I can't enjoy pie ever again!"

There are many things that used to bother me, until I learned it's far better to not give a shit at all. And I wish someone had told me this good advice, instead of people trying to make irrational feelings some big meaningful force in my life. I could have gotten to this point way sooner, life is so much easier when you aren't letting petty things bother you. This is universally applied life advice. Stop caring so much about minor things that literally should never affect you. If you want to make yourself miserable, do so, but don't expect anyone else to care about it and don't try to force others to cater to your misery. You choose it.

If someone else hacking a single player game ruins your own gaming experience... that's on you. No one else.

• Like 4

And I say that about pretty much everything. Offense is taken, not given. Particularly in silly instances like this, where it's someone else doing something for themselves and you decide to let that ruin your personal experience. Even somehow demanding other people stop enjoying something the way they want to, just so you can continue to enjoy things the way you want to. Which is a bit narcissistic. "You can't put  mustard on pie, that's disgusting. I can't even eat pie knowing you do this. You can't do that anymore or I can't enjoy pie ever again!"

There are many things that used to bother me, until I learned it's far better to not give a shit at all. And I wish someone had told me this good advice, instead of people trying to make irrational feelings some big meaningful force in my life. I could have gotten to this point way sooner, life is so much easier when you aren't letting petty things bother you. This is universally applied life advice. Stop caring so much about minor things that literally should never affect you. If you want to make yourself miserable, do so, but don't expect anyone else to care about it and don't try to force others to cater to your misery. You choose it.

If someone else hacking a single player game ruins your own gaming experience... that's on you. No one else.

What's up with the pathological apathy? Let us discuss your use of logic though. I will give an extreme example. A peadophile sexually assaulting a child does not affect me. After all, the peadophile is doing something for himself. Why would we ruin his personal experience? The reason why this analogy works is because people who cheat their way through trophies affect ratings while they do not deserve it. It does affect me. Why should I share platinum trophies I worked hard and long for with people who just hacked them? I shouldn't, right? You should be outraged at a child molester for what he is doing is wrong. I don't give a shit if it affects you or not. It's a very weak moral state of you if that's your reasoning.

I guess we should leave people who do wrong alone, because it's a bit narcissistic. 

It's also nice that you have achieved this state of tranquility. I see it has even made you put up that little purple colour as you type. But not all people are like you, and it's true narcissism to project your personality on others. Feelings are also not always irrational, especially when backed up by rational thought. I also don't think that anyone here claimed that someone else hacking trophies is ruining personal gaming experience. It ruins the competitive edge with earning trophies. Which is what my other analogy is about. 

As a competitive runner, you win prizes, you're the best. Then some cheater comes along with an amazing drug who equals all your records and improves them. All he had to do was take the drug. There is a reason why this would be against the rules. Because it's not fair, it's wrong, and it ruins the competition. 

Edited by Starflakes

30127858.jpg

I don't think they're going to understand though. They seem to think that just because it's "normal" to have an external locus of control on one's emotions that it makes it ok. At the end of the day, hacking trophies isn't going to effect any of us at all. It may inflate rarity slightly, but it won't changed them enough to matter at all. If people want to be angry about that, I feel pity for them but hope that they can eventually learn to let it go.

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

I don't think they're going to understand though. They seem to think that just because it's "normal" to have an external locus of control on one's emotions that it makes it ok. At the end of the day, hacking trophies isn't going to effect any of us at all. It may inflate rarity slightly, but it won't changed them enough to matter at all. If people want to be angry about that, I feel pity for them but hope that they can eventually learn to let it go.

I have already discussed this "it doesn't affect them' logic. Feedback please. Also very poor argument with regard to rarity. I guess one more murdered will only affect the statistic slightly. We should not condemn murder then, I guess. It does not affect me personally after all. If someone is doing something wrong, which is against the rules, he or she should not be included and be punished accordingly. This pathetic mentality, dude. Where does it stem from? You're too cool for this?

Edited by Starflakes