Oh boy, trophy hacking coming to PS4?

angelgrievous

I doubt it'll last long tbh, and if it does, then oh well, there'll just be some kids that paid $70 so they could potentially get some hacked trophies.

I understand people's disdain for hacking/cheating, but unless it's in a multiplayer setting, and affecting other people playing the game, I personally don't really care that much.

5 minutes ago, Starflakes said:

I have already discussed this "it doesn't affect them' logic. Feedback please. Also very poor argument with regard to rarity. I guess one more murdered will only affect the statistic slightly. We should not condemn murder then, I guess. It does not affect me personally after all. If someone is doing something wrong, which is against the rules, he or she should not be included and be punished accordingly. This pathetic mentality, dude. Where does it stem from? You're too cool for this?

You're arguing with something I didn't say. I said it shouldn't effect you; I didn't say that it shouldn't be punished. If you see something against the rules, report it. It will be handled by someone who can remove them from the site. You're powerless to stop them from hacking or even to remove them from the site. All you can do is report the bad timestamps. If you want to choose to be upset by it, that's on you.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

Same can be said for people who care about getting onto leaderboards. 

But that's part of human nature to be competitive, so not really.

9 hours ago, doordie19822015 said:

Thats funny I worked for Cook County and see it different

Cook County represent!!!!!

3 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

You're arguing with something I didn't say. I said it shouldn't effect you; I didn't say that it shouldn't be punished. If you see something against the rules, report it. It will be handled by someone who can remove them from the site. You're powerless to stop them from hacking or even to remove them from the site. All you can do is report the bad timestamps. If you want to choose to be upset by it, that's on you.

If it affects nobody, then how does punishment happen? You see, in a court of law for example, there is a multitude of factors including impact on victims/society. I guess I should have been more nuanced. If nobody is affeced or should be, then there is no reason at all to punish either. It's indifference, it's apathetic, it's paraticism. In other words, if it's punishable, it's more than likely to have an effect on people, alright. Also, this edgy line "if you choose to be upset by it". If someone touched my child and someone told me "if you decide to be upset by this, it's on you", I'd probably punch him in the mouth. Now, I wouldn't go as far as saying it would greatly upset me, but it does leave a bad taste on my mouth that people can get trophies by not doing anything for them while I have put in work. See my runner analogy.

Edited by Starflakes

Just now, kuuhaku said:

This is the last comment about this that I will make because it seems that you can't understand what I'm saying and we're getting off topic. No one controls your emotions but you. I've been in groups with victims of abuse and rape before and one of the common things you'll hear therapists and psychologists say is along the lines of 'your abuser will only continue to have power if you let them. You can choose to continue letting them have power over your emotions or you can gain control over them.' As someone who has gone through that, it's really fucking difficult to regain control of your emotions after letting someone else control them for most of your life. That statement doesn't come from a place of indifference or apathy or neuroticism; it comes from a person who was once there and managed to move past it.

My advice to you--and anyone else who is allowing this news make them upset--is to put it into perspective, report anything that breaks the rules, and try to not let other people's hacking effect you.

Emotions are a result of perceptions you get out in the real world. Emotions are also not controlled, they arise sponteneously. How you deal with them is also actually very much up for debate as the deterministic point of view in neurology is actually gaining a lot of ground. Please do not put this nonsense on the forum for people to read, they might in fact believe it. This is also not a question of a abuser-victim relationship. It's a moral question of people doing things illegitemately. Someone who hacks trophies does not affect me in a big deal at all. But the hacker should of course be punished and not included in the statistic. What the hacker does is wrong, it's that simple. That is the message that I convey. Moving past things is a matter of acceptance, not ignoring or belittling, or downplaying. How is it so hard to understand that there are people who dislike the idea of other people achieving the same things as them with no effort. This is true for all things in life, including gaming. Now, for me, gaming does not carry as much weight as other things, but it's still there, regardless. 

I know for example, that if I would ever obtain the platinum trophy for Super Meat Boy, I don't want some random jackass hacker sharing that status with me. And that is a perfectly reasonable thing to think and feel. It's unfair, and unfair things should be met with questions and disdain. There is also nothing to put into perspective in this case. It's wrong and that's the bottom line. 

• Like 1

I also don't think people see the bigger picture here when they say "it does not affect me". I need only think 10 seconds and I can already guess examples. What if FFXIV is included in the game list and players can in fact actully cheat 999999999 gil. That would destroy the economy and potentially the game. Resulting in many people leaving the game. People who have paid 12 euros each month for four years, perhaps including other items from the mogstore. And that is just one example. I advise people make their scope of introspection a little bit less narrow. The continuing trend of online trophies, perhaps ruined by cheaters... 

Edited by Starflakes

8 minutes ago, Starflakes said:

What if FFXIV is included in the game list and players can in fact actully cheat 999999999 gil.

FFXIV is crossplay with PC. So, when an MMO would actualy store savedata on the client side you can be sure it would be actively abused riught now. But, as said, MMO, everything happen on the server side.

13 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

FFXIV is crossplay with PC. So, when an MMO would actualy store savedata on the client side you can be sure it would be actively abused riught now. But, as said, MMO, everything happen on the server side.

Alright, that was a poor example then. But it does demonstrate other possibilities. I don't want to delve into this too much myself. I personally don't buy the "it does not affect me". It comes across as incredibly indifferent and that is not what we need when encountering issues like this. It should be primarily condemned. All this small talk about who or what is affects is secondary and projection for some people in this thread. From a personal perspective. I have really taken a liking into completing games that have a relatively low completion rate. It's because I am naturally competetive, not only in games. I like to achieve things, not only in games. For some people to downplay other people's disdain for this, including myself baffles me. You're not focussing on the right things if you're doing that.

Edited by Starflakes

@Starflakes Well, I do get your point. It's like with sports. When you are doping and people know it, you will get punished for it. But, we are not into esports, we are just, more or less, trophyhunters. We are for the majority weird. Do we care? Not really, I guess. Maybe you wonder now how this is fitting into the context? Well, people who attend to the olympic games want to win them. All of them do. However, people who login to PSN, well, we are just a small group. Most people see trophies as something dumb, waste of time, kiddycrap or epeen. And people who are intoi trophies are just losers with no life, the mass says. And, you need to keep in mind, that PSN statistics are more than inaccurate, because everyone is in them. Even people that have 500 games but not even one platinum. PSNP date is also inaccurate, because it also contains alt accounts, people who just wanted a signature, and not all competitive players. Which means, your complain is understandable but also not understandable at the same time. Because the data is already wrong anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neputyunu said:

@Starflakes Well, I do get your point. It's like with sports. When you are doping and people know it, you will get punished for it. But, we are not into esports, we are just, more or less, trophyhunters. We are for the majority weird. Do we care? Not really, I guess. Maybe you wonder now how this is fitting into the context? Well, people who attend to the olympic games want to win them. All of them do. However, people who login to PSN, well, we are just a small group. Most people see trophies as something dumb, waste of time, kiddycrap or epeen. And people who are intoi trophies are just losers with no life, the mass says. And, you need to keep in mind, that PSN statistics are more than inaccurate, because everyone is in them. Even people that have 500 games but not even one platinum. PSNP date is also inaccurate, because it also contains alt accounts, people who just wanted a signature, and not all competitive players. Which means, your complain is understandable but also not understandable at the same time. Because the data is already wrong anyway.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Although the runner analogy is to demonstrate unfairness. Of course there is a difference in scope between a professional athlete and people who like to obtain trophies. I'm going to leave this thread behind me. Enjoy your evening.

21 hours ago, ArmoredSquirreXD said:

Agreed, it won't be countered. PS3 and Vita saves aren't countered. 

Actually how does vita saves hacks work? I heard about some multiresign feature that person can dupe trophy sets which he already completed legit but I never have found opened way how to do that.

On PS3 it's easy as hell, you can get even hard platinums like Wipeout HD. Only online games are safe or shitty or games with situational trophies. But even that can be hacked through CFW and only in some games people will check that you are hacker (Cloudberry Kingdom, Fight Night Round 4, Destiny etc.)

That's why I don't recommend anyone to get platinum only for rating. Get trophies if you want it, not for anyone thinking you're cool.

I have some games which I actually don't like. It's because when I started playing on this account I wanted to try every genre. Mostly it's sports games or games like Prismatic Solid.

But it's okay, most games are which I wanted to plat and enjoyed it as games (especially from this november starting with Titanfall 2). I even enjoyed from My Name is Mayo, it was so fun cause you couldn't realize 7 years ago that one day you will have platinum like that. (and it's one game, not 100+ novels on Vita)

I glad that I don't have Toro, Duck Dynasty, Alekhine's Gun, Orc Slayer etc.

8 hours ago, PliskinCobra said:

If I'm not wrong all it can do it searching save data and max some values to 99999, similar to Cheat Engine.

It might help with grindy trophies and I can see why people want to bypass that. But it will not work with skill-related trophies that does not have any number to change.

I would assume that someone could take saves at different point in a game -- say for Rise of the Tomb Raider, after she attains each new equipment, and see what variables change from the base save, and implement them for others to use. But yes, the most you'd see is god mode on COD campaigns or stat changes, which can influence trophies (like on Ratchet & Clank with the bolts). Really, there's only so much that can be done with an editor in contrast to a save resigner.

2 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I doubt it'll last long tbh, and if it does, then oh well, there'll just be some kids that paid $70 so they could potentially get some hacked trophies.

I understand people's disdain for hacking/cheating, but unless it's in a multiplayer setting, and affecting other people playing the game, I personally don't really care that much.

And Sony's already shown they will account ban for the most minor offences (the nude screenshot in activities controversy), so if people are stupid enough to try in multiplayer, they would get reported and banned quickly.

53 minutes ago, PlayAsGod said:

Actually how does vita saves hacks work? I heard about some multiresign feature that person can dupe trophy sets which he already completed legit but I never have found opened way how to do that.

On PS3 it's easy as hell, you can get even hard platinums like Wipeout HD. Only online games are safe or shitty or games with situational trophies. But even that can be hacked through CFW and only in some games people will check that you are hacker (Cloudberry Kingdom, Fight Night Round 4, Destiny etc.)

That's why I don't recommend anyone to get platinum only for rating. Get trophies if you want it, not for anyone thinking you're cool.

I have some games which I actually don't like. It's because when I started playing on this account I wanted to try every genre. Mostly it's sports games or games like Prismatic Solid.

But it's okay, most games are which I wanted to plat and enjoyed it as games (especially from this november starting with Titanfall 2). I even enjoyed from My Name is Mayo, it was so fun cause you couldn't realize 7 years ago that one day you will have platinum like that. (and it's one game, not 100+ novels on Vita)

I glad that I don't have Toro, Duck Dynasty, Alekhine's Gun, Orc Slayer etc.

Yeah, if someone has Destiny 100% but only the PS3 disc, they clearly hacked. Vita saves, I think, are able to be modified thru a hex editor like HxD, but as for trophy hacking on Vita, I went over this in 

But its pretty pointless, considering a Vita 3.60 can't go online now, so anybody getting a Vita for trophy hacking or save editing would be in for a surprise. Though the 3.63 fw has stopped vita trophy hackers, it has not stopped people from pirating on Vita. 

1 hour ago, Elvick_ said:

I stopped reading here as it's an attack on personal character, and I can't be bothered with people who do such things.

But I'll leave you with this. How is encouraging people to be better, more mentally healthy individuals, "apathy"? If someone else's actions ruin your fun in something, you're letting yourself lose enjoyment for no reason at all. Not letting it bother you, leads to a happier life. But yes, tell more about how apathetic I am for encouraging emotional strength, instead of re-enforcing that people should totally lose all enjoyment in something if someone else does that same something in a way they dislike.

Long term, which is actually better to apply to your life? I'm done with this subject. Enjoy folks~

An ad hominem or personal attack is a fallacious argument only existing out of the personal attack without backing it up. I'm sorry to come across as arrogant now, but you eloquate people with your reason and your logic do seem to have an issue with actually knowing what you're talking about most of the time. 

All else are basless assumptions and ignoring off all the things I said. You basically throw the same things at me that have already been talked about in other wordings. I know your type. Put the tubes inside your ears. Oh no, he said there is a pathological sense of apathy about me! I mean, should I call an ambulance? Are you going to survive? Are you going to be alright? What you do is a cop-out, nothing less. 

Your indifference isn't encouraging anything and is also anything but healthy. I will quote Gramsci on this: 

“I hate the indifferent. I believe that living means taking sides. Those who really live cannot help being a citizen and a partisan. Indifference and apathy are parasitism, perversion, not life. That is why I hate the indifferent."

You have completely ignored my analogy with the peadophile explicitely debunking your point into the floor about someone else's actions. Not letting is bother you is a fairy tale. It's ataraxia of the highest order which doesn't exist. Emotional strength is facing up to your issues, not plugging your ears and pretending they don't phase you. I for example can commit violence against your loved ones. But don't let it phase you, don't let other people's actions get in the way of your happiness! This is how incredibly stupid your rethoric sounds, and apparently it's also believed by some. You know what is better in life? Talking about injustices, punishing them. You see, if the world would work like you, the world would be an incredibly awful place. Because why bother when people do other people wrong when it does not affect you. In the Kohlberg morality meter, you would score the same as an infant of 4 years old. Let that sink in for a moment. Look it up, it's a real thing. It's very indicative of toddlers to have a selfish morality. Your life advice is poor and should not be followed. It's the lone wolf kind of mentality. I've been there. 

I do apologize for the tone this is written in. But I can't be bothered melting this pot of words into a euphemistic liquid. This is all for me as well, going way off topic here. 

People who use this tool to get trophies need to be permabanned. 

Edited by Starflakes
  • Like 1

I've had so much fun with gamesharks and action replay codes on multiple consoles up until achievements where part of gaming. I'm sorry but the choice of messing with games completely legally was there decades before MS introduced "Achievements". I'm actually ok with this, cancel out trophies with modified saves?

21 hours ago, ArmoredSquirreXD said:

Oh, you already know it'll be cracked by programmers and have a free version released. $70 for this? The developer of it must be high. It's like when Xploder came out for purchase, yet Bruteforce took its place.

It's a possibility once this software goes mainstream, due to the high price it has. Yeah, reminds me of Xploder, of which didn't much use once Bruteforce came and everyone started using Bruteforce. I think Bruteforce isn't support anymore though or something, it's been a long time since I checked up on it. But regardless, I hope sony patch this up soon, just like they did for Vita. I'd love to have BOTH PS4 and Vita free from hacked trophies.

3 hours ago, Starflakes said:

People who use this tool to get trophies need to be permabanned. 

Not sure how do you can differentiate from those who legitly got their plats since they can make it look legit, if the software works just as action replay / gameshark does.

Edited by azlanslayer

i think they mostly try to hack for free games the tools for hacking trophies as just an extra for earning money or PSN cards ..

some games are really expensive in some countries , im not saying its an acceptable reason to hack im just stating the reasons ..

even if they patch it there are some old PS4 on an old OS that are targeted like little pig planet 3 bundle i think ..

Well this discussion quickly got out of hand.

I'm going to change my stance a little from the last post I made here and make this a little brief.

Anybody who posts here and earns trophies on a regular basis knows we are the slim minority. Most people couldn't care less about trophies or achievements for that matter. So far I think there are over two million tracked accounts on PSNPROFILES, but there are far more on PSN. In all honesty less than 5 percent of all tracked players probably really care about trophy completion, fastest achievers, number of trophies earned, etc. That's something I can deal with.

It's a part of life there will always be cheaters, hackers and those who look for easy ways out. I think PSNPROFILES does a good job in tracking hackers and banning them from the leaderboards, as I said before. Unfortunately there are a number of them who are still listed in the "legit" leaderboards, and that right there is what some people here are having serious problems with.

I'm going to skip the "rape" discussion entirely as that is simply a controversial topic and one that is rather difficult to fully elaborate on. You guys are going to have to hope more cheaters will be noticed and banned from the leaderboards, but at the same time most of us couldn't care less. It's a flawed system, but one acceptable by my standards.