Trailer perked my interest, Platinum=Happy Ending

Kishnabe

Does anyone remember the Xbox Live Indie Games section back on the Xbox 360 marketplace? That's what the influx of shit games making their way to the PS Store remind me of, except instead of being hidden away in some obscure section, they're now displayed prominently next to the games that are actually worth a damn. That's just great... <_<

It baffles my mind when I see people defending shit like this. Don't you realise this is harmful? If this continues, you can bet this will make it harder for indie game developers who are actually competent to get their games noticed. They often rely on the attention given to their game by being on the front page of the store, or the PS Blog posts listing new games for that week. The more shit there is to wade through, the less willing people will be to check out their game. Also, let's say someone purchases one of these games and gets burned by its shocking lack of quality, they may be less willing to take risks in the future. More doesn't equal better.

If Sony really want to start going down the Steam/iOS/Android route, they need to sort their shit out and get a better refund system in place. At least if you fall into one of these traps on Steam, you can refund it with no problem. Buy it on the PS Store, though, and you're stuck with it. That's unacceptable.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kishnabe said:
Trailer perked my interest, Platinum=Happy Ending

"Perked" your interest? I think you meant it piqued your interest! :P

Anyway, what's so bad about this game everyone? It's at the very least a good laugh. That being said, you won't catch me playing it... xD 

On 2/5/2017 at 3:58 AM, Undead Wolf said:

It baffles my mind when I see people defending shit like this. Don't you realise this is harmful? If this continues, you can bet this will make it harder for indie game developers who are actually competent to get their games noticed. They often rely on the attention given to their game by being on the front page of the store, or the PS Blog posts listing new games for that week. The more shit there is to wade through, the less willing people will be to check out their game. Also, let's say someone purchases one of these games and gets burned by its shocking lack of quality, they may be less willing to take risks in the future. More doesn't equal better.

I completely disagree with you. I'll try and put my reasons across, and hopefully you won't be as baffled when you see people "defending shit like this".

First of all, this game does not look like "shit". There's precious little gameplay shown in the trailer, I'll grant you that. But what was shown appears competently put together, with decent assets and animations for the aesthetic chosen. Compare that to Life of Black Tiger - where you've got assets and gameplay that would have been considered bad 15 years ago - and you'll see what a shit game looks like. To my mind this game looks funny and I might look into it a little more, but we're allowed to disagree on that. 

Just because a game doesn't look like it will suit your taste doesn't make it shit. 

As for whether it's harmful, I'll grant you that the store is hard to navigate with the tidal wave of games available on the system. Sony needs to figure out a better way to highlight the games on the system which might be of interest to each player, possibly by allowing media personalities or other users to curate lists of games they enjoyed or making better use of the rating and "like" data collected from users. I agree that there is a risk that games which might interest you being buried and never noticed under the sheer number of titles available.

But Sony only bears some of the responsibility here - Devs are fully aware of how Sony's store operates by now (and if they're not, they should be) and they have chosen to enter this marketplace to try and get a slice of the 50M+ PS4 owners out there. If they felt that they wouldn't be able to compete and make a buck then they shouldn't enter the market. They've got to do their own marketing too, that isn't wholly Sony's responsibility. 

And with all respect, I don't trust you or some suit at Sony to make decisions about what games should be available along the lines that you suggest. I would far rather the PS4 remain an open platform (well, as open as it can be following the certification fees and process, etc) where I can decide where to spend my money than have it limited to the smaller number of games that would follow some sort of subjective quality bar. 

To cite a quick example, I doubt that Infinity Runner would have made it onto the store under your proposals. I bought it cheap and happened to really like that game and if the alternative universe in which Sony has some sort of anonymous person or panel who decides what games are "good enough" to make it onto the store had barred it from entry, my life would be a little bit poorer for it. 

Oh, and watch this, basically:

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm a month late, but I just want to weigh in and say how tired I am of everyone assuming that a game's playability is an objective assessment. I bought this game last night after stumbling across this forum and I'm having a blast. I absolutely hate Uncharted and The Last of Us. I'm dreading having to go back to the first game to up my completion percentage. But other people adore those games, and neither of us are wrong.

Games are situational. After a really rough night of Overwatch (Zenyattas who never put an orb on anyone, tanks who refused to get on the point and instead tried to snipe from a distance, just stressful losses), this game is like a breath of fresh air. I like being able to relax for a change. I like not feeling my heart rate skyrocket the second I pick up a controller. Games are meant to be fun. I find this game fun. Therefore, this game did its job in my case.