Filters? Gas mask? Pffft, why would anyone even use them?

TheYuriG

Jokes aside, i just wanted to make a quick Metro PSA: You don't need to burn through your filters to survive outside, simply putting the mask on and off resets the choking timer, so you can spend about about 15 seconds outside without a mask before getting dizzy, then put it on and remove it right after to restart the  choking timer. Doing this, you can easily survive 15 minutes with a 2 minutes filter. Beware however that in ranger hardcore your timer is somewhat reduced and you won't get dizzy, just gonna die after the third (or so) cough. Make sure you choke once whenever you get to the surface for the first time to mentally learn to clock how much time you can spend without mask before choking. Makes the life outside insanely easier if you are not constantly playing against the time and yeah, it kinda kills the pressure of running out of filters, but then again, you can simply not use this trick if you don't want to.

Sorry if i somewhat missed this being posted before, i didn't do a very high,, detailed and deep search. 

2 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

The Complete Edition apparently has enough ridiculous little problems so I'll keep this little tip in mind if I ever get to this point in the game. :P 

I'm playing that right now and I'm not facing gameplay issues, however the saving, freezing and trophy issues are abysmal! 

1 hour ago, lll said:

This is an extra help for anyone who are new to the game, and believe it will help many players! I personally already knew this trick !

Good luck on the rest of dlc trophies (yes they are annoying) :P

I thought it was surprising to not see this anywhere, but not really difficult to figure out, reason why i posted the last phrase. I'm at contagion in HC Ranger and then I'm wiping my save to do the pavel safe trophy again since that's impossible in my current savefile. 

@littlelostkiwi and @QuentinCle95, you might want to add this information to your guides. 

2 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

I'm playing that right now and I'm not facing gameplay issues, however the saving, freezing and trophy issues are abysmal! 

On the Complete Edition, digital, it's not possible to unlock Shadow and Diver. So even if I did every other trophy in the game...I gotta go find a physical copy afterwards lol.

Would playing while logged out of PSN work better? 

Two people reporting that here on psn, no one at .org, find that really strange. 

You asking about the glitches? Nah, still fucked regardless. Recommend quitting before the end, backing up the savefile and then doing it. Game probably has too much to handle and then it crashes. 

Idk if you downloaded the patches (we're talking about PS3 version, right?).

For what I noticed the game itself have a few bugs/glitches but as soon as you install the season pass, updating the gaming to the last version, that's when it becomes a mess with all the freezing problems.

I don't recall if you can play right away in Ranger/hardcore modes, but for a first/blind playthrough, especially if you like check the whole map it's understandable the presence of this trick to get benefit of the lack of filters, and that you can't check your clock.

1 minute ago, GoldenShaka said:

Idk if you downloaded the patches (we're talking about PS3 version, right?).

For what I noticed the game itself have a few bugs/glitches but as soon as you install the season pass, updating the gaming to the last version, that's when it becomes a mess with all the freezing problems.

I don't recall if you can play right away in Ranger/hardcore modes, but for a first/blind playthrough, especially if you like check the whole map it's understandable the presence of this trick to get benefit of the lack of filters, and that you can't check your clock.

I must download patches to play dlc and I'm playing athe ranger dlc right now. Base game works alright, nothing going wrong atm, but oh boy the dlcs were nightmare

I think you can. At the spider level my save got wiped and i could play ranger and ranger HC. The filter time still shows up in your watch when you are below 5 minutes. Any more than that and it only shows 5 minutes left. Would be understandable if it was 5 minutes for that current filter, but doesn't seem so in my case. I don't remember dropping below 5 many times though. One at the beginning, another after i got captured and one just a few moments ago in contagion where i left the mask on by mistake

Sorry, I didn't check your trophies to know if you already had the platinum, yes, of course you need the patches to download DLC content.

The only thing I disliked while playing the ranger mode was the reload, but it's due a bad custom of reloading the gun after a few shots, so many times I dropped half of my ammunition while reloading. :facepalm:

I played some base game after installed the whole edition, so that's why I noticed that even the base game gets unstable.

1 hour ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

You can do this in Metro 2033 as well. Found that out near the end of my first playthrough of course :facepalm:

Hopefully it was also helpful for you in your second playthrough? 

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Since you've platted the game. If possible do you remember the only enemies you've killed when going for Shadow Ranger? Is it really just the flamethrower bastard at the end and the shield enemies in front of him you can kill at will?

I killed the flamethrower guy and any shields that got in the way. Mind you, i never restarted a checkpoint for anyone falling into water or near train tracks. Heard you can kill the enemies in the railcart chase too, i would confirm that in the ps4 version if such had that trophy, but doesn't seem like it. 

Edited by TheYuriG

1 minute ago, TheYuriG said:

Sorry i didn't reply before, i got distracted reading all my previous posts trying to understand what were you apologizing for hahaha you did nothing wrong and had me confused.

I killed the flamethrower guy and any shields that got in the way. Mind you, i never restarted a checkpoint for anyone falling into water or near train tracks. Heard you can kill the enemies in the railcart chase too, i would confirm that in the ps4 version if such had that trophy, but doesn't seem like it. 

I'm guessing that bold bit is for GoldenShaka? :P 

Restarting a checkpoint is stated to not work towards to the trophy anyways. I played the ps4 version and without this trophy it'll be a patience tester I think lol.

As long as I can kill the shield dudes in front that's really all I have to know because I know the flamethrower guy has to be killed.

1 minute ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I'm guessing that bold bit is for GoldenShaka? :P 

Restarting a checkpoint is stated to not work towards to the trophy anyways. I played the ps4 version and without this trophy it'll be a patience tester I think lol.

As long as I can kill the shield dudes in front that's really all I have to know because I know the flamethrower guy has to be killed.

Yup AAAAAND i realized i fucked up AAAAAND i deleted it. 

My point was that if i ran over anyone or they drowned, it didn't affect me and i still got it. Pretty sure i ran over those guys that try to rape the man in the bandits level. Kills one and forces the one to say it's a whore, then try to fuck his ass or kill him if you don't move fast enough. They deserved it, right? 

5 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Yup AAAAAND i realized i fucked up AAAAAND i deleted it. 

My point was that if i ran over anyone or they drowned, it didn't affect me and i still got it. Pretty sure i ran over those guys that try to rape the man in the bandits level. Kills one and forces the one to say it's a whore, then try to fuck his ass or kill him if you don't move fast enough. They deserved it, right? 

I'd say they deserved it. xD 

Game might not think so though lol.

• Like 1

While this is a handy trick (I wound up using gas masks just fine) you're unknowingly giving Artyom a cocktail of lung diseases where he probably won't make it another game. Was it really worth it?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redgrave said:

While this is a handy trick (I wound up using gas masks just fine) you're unknowingly giving Artyom a cocktail of lung diseases where he probably won't make it another game. Was it really worth it?

At least I'm democratic and did the same with everyone else in the DLCs. LUNG DISEASES FOR EVERYONE! 

15 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

At least I'm democratic and did the same with everyone else in the DLCs. LUNG DISEASES FOR EVERYONE! 

I'd have a feeling they'd probably die from radiation sickness before any lung disease could develop. It's definitely a useful trick though, didn't think about it

15 hours ago, TheYuriG said:

I thought it was surprising to not see this anywhere, but not really difficult to figure out, reason why i posted the last phrase. I'm at contagion in HC Ranger and then I'm wiping my save to do the pavel safe trophy again since that's impossible in my current savefile. 

@littlelostkiwi and @QuentinCle95, you might want to add this information to your guides. 

Thanks for letting me know, I added it in :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 9:30 AM, TheYuriG said:

*snip*

You can't receive messages so...plan B lol.

Should I wait to buy a DS3 to play so that I can sync trophies right away? I only have a DS4, DS3 broke a couple months ago, and I'd have to shut the system off and turn it on again to sync the trophies to the PSN. 

12 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

You can't receive messages so...plan B lol.

Should I wait to buy a DS3 to play so that I can sync trophies right away? I only have a DS4, DS3 broke a couple months ago, and I'd have to shut the system off and turn it on again to sync the trophies to the PSN. 

I might have missed the point of your question? What else the lack of ds3 controller stops you from? Unless maybe you are just not willing to restart to sync, what wouldn't be a problem since trophies are kinda spread apart post halfway through the game 

Oh, i think i got it. Talking glitch wise? You are good with that controller, just make sure you quit and upload your save to the cloud (no usb allowed) and sync your dlc trophies when you get them

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 1

Just now, TheYuriG said:

I might have missed the point of your question? What else the lack of ds3 controller stops you from? Unless maybe you are just not willing to restart to sync, what wouldn't be a problem since trophies are kinda spread apart post halfway through the game 

I wasn't exactly sure if having to restart the system could possibly screw with the trophies. I remember reading somewhere to sync them it might be better to quit out of the game instead of just pressing the PS button to get to the xmb menu. I generally don't worry about bugs but thought I'd ask anyways.

Just now, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I wasn't exactly sure if having to restart the system could possibly screw with the trophies. I remember reading somewhere to sync them it might be better to quit out of the game instead of just pressing the PS button to get to the xmb menu. I generally don't worry about bugs but thought I'd ask anyways.

If you're a plus member, you can set up the ps3 to auto sync your trophies daily at the time of your choosing