Fully dead PS3 controller battery?

Dreakon139

Okay, so it's been about a year since I had a PS3. I've just been sitting on my one controller because I wanted to sell it on eBay (it was practically brand new, since it was one I only got for when people came over).

I'm trying to charge it now to make sure it works before I list it on eBay.

When I plug the controller in, it works fine. It looks like its charging for a minute or two, then stops. If I unplug it, it won't even turn on. If I plug it in and press the middle button (to see the battery level)... it's just a "-".

Does this mean the battery is dead? I'm surprised if so. Like I said, it was never really used even when I had a PS3 and it's been a year since I've done anything with it. Do the batteries just die over time on their own, completely?

Thanks for any info!

I still have my controller from the original release of the PS3 and the battery works okay. It feels as if the battery doesn't last as long as it did before, but I've not seen the '-' you mention. I also have a few other controllers that I've got along the way and haven't had any issues like what you mentioned.

Although, obviously you aren't making this up. It sounds like what you're describing indicates the battery is totally dead. Just haven't heard of it happening before.

It's possible the battery is dead. Rechargeable batteries have a set number of "charges" to them [it's why they say not to charge it before the battery is fully drained - you just waste one of the charges if you do. Turning the system off/on with the controller connected to the charging cable starts a charge as well.]. Once they're used up - that's it. It's time to either buy a new controller, or try to replace the battery yourself.

However - it could also be your USB cable. I've had my controller do the same thing at one point with an old USB cable I had that was slightly damaged - it would charge, but when I unplugged it - it would stay on, but the battery indicator on screen just said "-". I finally found another USB cable I could use and tried it out, and it started working normally again.

So, if you can, try another cable [More than one, preferably] - if it STILL doesn't work, then yeah, the battery is probably dead.

Edited by Fox
  • Like 1