What's your opinion on share play boosting?

OJ9999vr

3 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Ok,i give up.Boosting online trophies is legit.Share play is evil.Send the ''share players'' to Guantanamo

Give up? This is a "Whats your opinion" thread... What are you giving up on? Your opinion? You're allowed your opinion, others are allowed theirs. Just like you're allowed to play games under your self-defined laws and others can follow their own.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Ok,i give up.Boosting online trophies is legit.Share play is evil.Send the ''share players'' to Guantanamo

No need to be dramatic, people are sharing opinions in a respectful manner and no one has said anything even close to what you just posted. You made a claim and they proved it wrong, no need to take anything personal.

Parker

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Didn't say it was evil or wrong, I just don't agree with your assertion that there's little difference between Share Play and online boosting, for the reasons already stated. But oh well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. :P

17 hours ago, TristanBrown17 said:

On the other hand, I see one great thing about shareplay that helps people. I don't have a ton of controllers, a second PS4, or local trophy hunters that I know personally. When trophies such as Sportsfriends and the "I'm back and I brought a friend" trophy from Resogun show up which require local play, I feel like I'm backed into a corner. Shareplay allows me to hand over a second controller to that individual to do local coop trophies. This is the only exception to my dislike of shareplay "boosting"

This is what I was going to say as well. I haven't gotten this specific trophy for this exact reason. I moved from my friends and do not have any gamer friends that are capable of doing this in Resogun so I figure it might work through share play. However, in this case it would be coop and not someone playing your game for you to unlock trophies. I feel cases like these should be acceptable. 

22 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Well, I mean, Daiv was accusing anybody with a high trophy count of being a cheater, which isn't very fair is it?

But did Daiv accuse Alpha? No. Should I get mad as hell curse like a sailor towards an comment that wasn't meant especially for me? Maybe but I could be civil about it and make a conversation about it rather than a lash out.

I saw it inappropriate, I mentioned about it and that's it.

Let's make a DM group if you guys want to talk about it more, but let's stop derailing the topic.

• Like 1

if you wanna get real techincal here you go: how is shareplaying any different to rubberbanding your controller and getting a free trophy that you didn't "earn"? :o mindblowing, i know yes. same thing. shareplaying,boosting,rubberbanding your controller, all the same. who cares what people do... it shouldn't affect you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

if you wanna get real techincal here you go: how is shareplaying any different to rubberbanding your controller and getting a free trophy that you didn't "earn"? :o mindblowing, i know yes. same thing. shareplaying,boosting,rubberbanding your controller, all the same. who cares what people do... it shouldn't affect you.

Rubberbanding your controller is you setting something up that the game itself allows you to within the boundaries it sets. Shareplay is an outside thing that lets others do everything for you.

Boosting requires active participation from yourself and can actually be quite a challenge depending on game, and it's all within the boundaries of what the game allows. Shareplay requires 0 active participation from you.

Shareplay is basically just downloading a save file. You did just as much work either way - nothing. And, guess what, downloading save files is a flaggable offense here, so why isn't Shareplay??

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Rubberbanding your controller is you setting something up that the game itself allows you to within the boundaries it sets. Shareplay is an outside thing that lets others do everything for you.

Boosting requires active participation from yourself and can actually be quite a challenge depending on game, and it's all within the boundaries of what the game allows. Shareplay requires 0 active participation from you.

Shareplay is basically just downloading a save file. You did just as much work either way - nothing. And, guess what, downloading save files is a flaggable offense here, so why isn't Shareplay??

Probably because share play is a built in feature by sony and downloading save files and using requires using an outside resource. Besides, unless everyone records every single game they play, you can't really prove they did them all themselves.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Maybe I missed it, but I can't recall that anywhere in this topic it got discussed about how... intense SharePlay gets used.

Are we talking about

"I bought that game and let someone else play it 100%. YAAY!! FREE TROPHIES!!"

or about

"WAAHHHHH!!!! I really can't beat Venom Hot Lap 2 in Driveclub Elements DLC... I was trying it for days now... :( Guess I'm asking my friend/sibling/SomeAsianIHavePaid to do this one race for me, because it's the last thing I would need, and doesn't even has it's own trophy..."

? :) 

Also, well, downloading a savefile is "IT'S RAINING TROPHIES! HALLELUJA!!"... You havn't done anything. While, before you used SharePlay, you have at least tried it (it = your problem) and were playing it legit until this point. Now you are at this point and jjust can't beat one specific thing you would have had just called over a friend for help, 10-15 years ago, right? SharePlay is basicly the same. In our nowadays globalized world, your buddies and friends can live like thousands of kilometers away...

Unless it somehow directly affects my gaming experience, I don't really care how other people choose to play their games. Trophy hunting is just another game to me. I'm happy to find "interesting" ways to get trophies (boosting, taking advantage of "quirks" in the game, rubber-banding, multiple accounts, etc.), because for me it's part of the fun/challenge.

I personally wouldn't ever have someone else earn a trophy for me because FOR ME that's counter to how I want to play the trophy meta-game. But if someone else chooses to do it this way, it doesn't really take anything away from my experience. I already take my own trophies way more seriously than I probably should, I can't be bothered with everyone else's trophies too. :)

Edited by RNumbers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Neputyunu said:

Maybe I missed it, but I can't recall that anywhere in this topic it got discussed about how... intense SharePlay gets used.

Are we talking about

"I bought that game and let someone else play it 100%. YAAY!! FREE TROPHIES!!"

or about

"WAAHHHHH!!!! I really can't beat Venom Hot Lap 2 in Driveclub Elements DLC... I was trying it for days now... :( Guess I'm asking my friend/sibling/SomeAsianIHavePaid to do this one race for me, because it's the last thing I would need, and doesn't even has it's own trophy..."

? :) 

Also, well, downloading a savefile is "IT'S RAINING TROPHIES! HALLELUJA!!"... You havn't done anything. While, before you used SharePlay, you have at least tried it (it = your problem) and were playing it legit until this point. Now you are at this point and jjust can't beat one specific thing you would have had just called over a friend for help, 10-15 years ago, right? SharePlay is basicly the same. In our nowadays globalized world, your buddies and friends can live like thousands of kilometers away...

If you tried it and couldn't accomplish it, you should leave that trophy behind. Not cheat and get someone else to get it for you lol, it doesn't matter how much you've tried it beforehand.

I know people who have played games for quite a while before downloading a savefile to complete it because they simply couldn't manage it themselves. So the same logic applies to that as well - and it's cheating.

Even before trophies, I struggled through games alone. When I was very young, the final boss of Sly 2 gave me a lot of trouble (now I realize how easy it is though) and my dad offered to go ahead and do it for me so I could see the end. I thanked him but declined his offer because if I didn't do it, what was even the point? I'm not a cheater and would feel like I hadn't earned that ending.

I gave up on that boss in the end and only came back to it years later. If you can't do something, just let it go.

• Like 1

Share play boosting is fine simply because Sony allow it to happen. Opposite to earning trophies using other's savefile which is technically not allowed.

Want to let a friend try out your new game? Or give you a helping hand on that tricky end of level boss? Share Play lets you hand over control of your games to your PSN friends, no matter where they are.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/features/share-play/

Edited by PliskinCobra

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

Well, I mean, Daiv was accusing anybody with a high trophy count of being a cheater, which isn't very fair is it?

That's not quite the interpretation I was going for, but I can now see that apparently people took it that way. My point was only that I can't and shouldn't assume any trophies on anyone account were earned by the account holder. I was going to an extreme to show something that's completely possible is similar to what is being asked about in the OP.

I also, for the record, don't consider handing off a controller to a buddy, share playing over the internet or letting someone log into your account cheating, so I wasn't actually accusing anyone at all of cheating per my definitions. 

• Like 3

@madbuk Okay. I can understand and accept the explanation of your opinion. 

I just have one, well, two, questions about it. ...What, if a game has trophies for multiplayer, but only has local multiplayer? Would you own four controllers, because it is okay to let three of them idle, or would you give up the game just because you (hypothetically speaking of course) have no friends?

I, as shut-in (and known for having weird problems, I don't even understand, while communicating), would find it pretty unfair to get locked out of a platinum just because I don't have real-life friends, or the will to voluntarily go outside to maybe get some. :) (Where should I look for them anyway?)

48 minutes ago, madbuk said:

because shareplay is a feature created by sony? using it is not breaking their terms of use is it? and also about "Rubberbanding your controller is you setting something up that the game itself allows you to within the boundaries it sets." can be argued with that you're also setting up a shareplay session meaning YOU have to boot the game up first, load your save and have someone help you. shareplaying/rubberbanding/boosting is about as much effort as scratching your ass.

there are plenty of games that you can boost where you can be AFK so your arguement doesn't really have any legs to stand on from my point of view.

Edited by UlvenFenrir

7 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

I just have one, well, two, questions about it. ...What, if a game has trophies for multiplayer, but only has local multiplayer? Would you own four controllers, because it is okay to let three of them idle, or would you give up the game just because you (hypothetically speaking of course) have no friends?

I, as shut-in (and known for having weird problems, I don't even understand, while communicating), would find it pretty unfair to get locked out of a platinum just because I don't have real-life friends, or the will to voluntarily go outside to maybe get some. :) (Where should I look for them anyway?)

This is the exact case i were talking about, this way it's completely innocent boosting. But as i understand you can't be more than 2 at a time, host+player?

1 minute ago, OJ9999vr said:

This is the exact case i were talking about, this way it's completely innocent boosting. But as i understand you can't be more than 2 at a time, host+player?

I don't know. I never used SharePlay and I don't own a PS4 at the moment.

It was just a more personal question for him. :) 

12 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

As someone with no friends, I have regularly used multiple controllers myself to get trophies.

If we're talking about something like the co-op trophy in Resogun, then I have no problems with people using Shareplay. Because they're still actively participating in the co-op experience instead of being carried, it's nonsense that the trophy doesn't allow online play in the first place tbh.

In the example of having to use 4 controllers, but being able to let 3 of them idle, I don't see an issue because you're still the one setting it up and getting the trophy. It's not like someone else is there controlling player 1 while player 2-4 idle - you are the one controlling player 1.

• Like 1

Trophies lost their competitive aspect a long time ago, so there's no reason to care about others' methods of earning trophies.

The trophy system cannot be taken seriously because:

• Countless undetected hackers
  • Many game-breaking exploits/glitches that reduce a game's difficulty significantly
  • Unexpected server shutdowns
  • Glitched trophies that rarely, if ever, pop
  • Sony introducing Share Play, a "legit" way to get free trophies you didn't earn
  • Is boosting cheating? Everybody boosts. To the legit players, we're all cheaters.

Etc...

Hence, if you hunt trophies competitively -- or with a competitive attitude (like being vehemently against share play / boosting / exploits) -- then you're gonna have a bad time, because the system is fundamentally corrupt.

Edited by Thropy_Hore
added 2 points
  • Like 3