What's your opinion on share play boosting?

OJ9999vr

3 minutes ago, JiII-Valentine-- said:

It's cheating, fake and lying. Okay...

It's no different then inviting a friend over to play some games.

You're kidding, right? Having a friend over and playing co-op games together is completely different from unlocking trophies by cheating or having someone play for you on shareplay.

If you mean by "inviting a friend over" that that friend plays solo games for you to unlock trophies, then yeah I agree, that's the offline variant of using shareplay and it's moronic.

8 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

You're kidding, right? Having a friend over and playing co-op games together is completely different from unlocking trophies by cheating or having someone play for you on shareplay.

If you mean by "inviting a friend over" that that friend plays solo games for you to unlock trophies, then yeah I agree, that's the offline variant of using shareplay and it's moronic.

You take trophy hunting way too seriously. If you've ever boosted for a trophy, which you probably have. That's considered cheating. In fact, it's worse than using Share Play.

• Like 1

Just now, JiII-Valentine-- said:

You take trophy hunting way too seriously. If you've ever boosted for a trophy, which you probably have. That's considered cheating. In fact, it's worse than using Share Play.

Completely wrong, in fact I don't take trophies seriously at all (which you would know if you read my first post here or checked my profile). Also, nicely spoken from an obviously secondary profile.

Go on, check my profile. Most of the time, my multiplayer trophies remain unobtained completely. The only boosting I do is in games where it doesn't matter if you win or lose or where players have to play together against AI, because multiplayer is only fun to me if I'm playing together with others, not against others. Then, "boosting" becomes just a matter of making sure there's enough people to play with.

Using shareplay is worse than boosting though. With boosting, you're playing with someone else who is possibly throwing the game to let you win. With shareplay, you're not doing anything at all and let someone else take over for you.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Completely wrong, in fact I don't take trophies seriously at all (which you would know if you read my first post here or checked my profile). Also, nicely spoken from an obviously secondary profile.

Go on, check my profile. Most of the time, my multiplayer trophies remain unobtained completely. The only boosting I do is in games where it doesn't matter if you win or lose or where players have to play together against AI, because multiplayer is only fun to me if I'm playing together with others, not against others. Then, "boosting" becomes just a matter of making sure there's enough people to play with.

Using shareplay is worse than boosting though. With boosting, you're playing with someone else who is possibly throwing the game to let you win. With shareplay, you're not doing anything at all and let someone else take over for you.

Completely with you on this. Boosting still requires effort even if it is minimal, share play you just sit back and watch someone else do it. I wouldn't consider boosting cheating as such, depends on the situation. I find it annoying how people compare two different forms of cheating and conclude to say "cheating is cheating regardless of how you did it". Which is a completely stupid way of seeing things. For example an in game exploit should never be compared to something by the likes of game saves or hacking. Yes, they're both cheating as such but if it's in-game and all your own work then it's not comparable in the slightest. Just my 2 cents. I know some will disagree.

Edited by DarkSamuraii-
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DarkSamuraii- said:

Completely with you on this. Boosting still requires effort even if it is minimal, share play you just sit back and watch someone else do it. I wouldn't consider boosting cheating as such, depends on the situation. I find it annoying how people compare two different forms of cheating and conclude to say "cheating is cheating regardless of how you did it". Which is a completely stupid way of seeing things. For example an in game emploit should never be compared to something by the likes of game saves or hacking. Yes, they're both cheating as such but if it's in-game and all your own work then it's not comparable in the slightest. Just my 2 cents. I know some will disagree.

Just worry about your own profile don't worry about others...its exhausting with all these threads about cheating. Using an in-game exploit or glitch to get trophies is cheating because its not how it's intended to earn it. Also if you want to throw the word exploit out there then using game saves and hacking are also methods of exploits by definition.

• Like 2

Sorry, but it's cheating (unless it's earned somehow). SharePlay popping trophies is for the weak and obsessed. ;] /half-srs

I'm not against it completely, nor am I judging individuals' entire character; it just doesn't fit the spirit of trophy hunting or being a completionist and you should not be awarded trophies for it. Primarily, it's used to give people trophies who normally can't get them....

I'm torn between relieving someone's ocd/struggle and doing all the work for them (I've never done this, just theorizing).

• Like 1

I don't really agree with it. I see trophies as a record of that person's accomplishments, so if said person is getting someone else to pop trophies for them that they find too difficult, it does feel like cheating to me. If you can't earn a trophy yourself, then you don't deserve that trophy. That's how I see it anyway. Boosting multiplayer trophies and what not is fine to me since it's still you playing the game. The same goes for exploiting game mechanics, glitches, etc. I think all of that's fine, it's just getting someone else to do it for you that I have a problem with.

I guess I'd treat shareplay boosters similarly to how I treat group accounts. I can't be sure who earned what trophies, so I take it all with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

If you can't see how wrong it is to play through AN ENTIRE GAME for some lamer's 100th plat you are the one with a problem. Its not us who takes trophy hunting too seriously, its the lamer who had you do that. If you wanna be a gamer, it requires actual gaming. Trophies alone don't buy you street cred.

Tell me, did you get paid to do that?

SO MUCH THIS!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

Its not us who takes trophy hunting too seriously, its the lamer who had you do that. 

Pretty sure if I brought this topic up at a meal with non trophy hunting people it wouldn't last more than a few seconds, they're not going to care. 

I give Jill credit for being able to plat a game using shareplay. There is a half a second lag after all(unlike remote play and psnow which is no lag). That's an achievement in itself imo. 

But we're totally the ones taking this more seriously than anybody unassociated with trophy hunting let's not kid ourselves. 

• Like 3

I don't care at all, it doesn't take anything away from how I get my trophies. I have never really cared about another persons trophy list. So, I don't really understand why people get so up in arms about this, it's a virtual little thing that doesn't do anything.

• Like 1

agree with above...glitch, hack, mod, boost, use save files, share play, etc. all you want...has no effect on how I go about earning my trophies...also not in a position that I feel the need to judge others...gaming is a fun hobby...trophies are meaningless...no use for share play on my end of things...simple as that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

But we're totally the ones taking this more seriously than anybody unassociated with trophy hunting let's not kid ourselves. 

Yeah, but if someone invites you to play for them solely for the purpose of getting trophies, I doubt they are "unassociated with trophy hunting".

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yeah, but if someone invites you to play for them solely for the purpose of getting trophies, I doubt they are "unassociated with trophy hunting".

EXACTLY!!! 

I game cuz I like gaming. Trophies are relatively new so they haven't ever been my primary focus, just a happy bi-product of the process. To buy a game and have someone else play it just to fill out the trophies on your profile . . .why even bother?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

If you can't see how wrong it is to play through AN ENTIRE GAME for some lamer's 100th plat you are the one with a problem. Its not us who takes trophy hunting too seriously, its the lamer who had you do that. If you wanna be a gamer, it requires actual gaming. Trophies alone don't buy you street cred.

Tell me, did you get paid to do that?

Calling BS is worrying about my profile. It sucks MY trophy rarity gets diluted by such bullshit. If you are truly exhausted by threads like these stop clicking into them.

No, I didn't get paid and no I don't see anything wrong with it. It's funny how you said it's me who has the problem when you seem quite agitated in your response.

• Like 3

Just now, JiII-Valentine-- said:

No, I didn't get paid and no I don't see anything wrong with it. It's funny how you said it's me who has the problem when you seem quite agitated in your response.

No just responding to your assertion about me having a problem. I'm guessing you really like Resident Evil then to play through multiple times. But then you name answers that question too lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is bittersweet I stumbled upon this thread because it answered some questions that me and a friend had about the feature. 

So essentially this is what happened I was watching him play a game we both have on our profiles and he was struggling on a particular level. I ended up taking over via Share Play and beating the one level for him. First time we had ever used that feature then we had questions pop into our heads. 

My worry was I invalidated a trophy further down the line for him which I found out via this thread what I did wouldn't invalidate the trophy. 

He was wandering if he tried out one of the remastered Crash games via Share Play would it add the trophy set to his account which I found out it wouldn't. 

This just means I won't let him play Crash 1 or 2 because I haven't beaten them all the way for the first time yet lol. He can play Crash 3 for as long as he wants within 1 hour because I already beat the bosses and got the crystals I just need to get the gems and relics now. :D

I also was curious because while going through my trophy lists I noticed besides "Chat" in the navibar at the top that "Gaming Sessions" rotates through the various types when a new page loads and one I saw was "Share Play Sessions" 

I personally was thinking about asking for help here via that feature with DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition just for two secret missions "Displaced Skirmish" and "Shenanigans" because I failed those two so many times and got very frustrated to the point I had to stop playing the game for a while. I'm not concerned with the trophies as I don't plan on platinuming the game anytime soon I just despise those two secret missions.

In my opinion I don't consider boosting (online or single player via Share Play) bad except in the following instances:
- Paying someone else to get trophies/achievements of any kind on your account regardless of method used.
- Externally modifying the hardware/software in a way the manufactor/developer didn't intend (i.e. in game glitches that require patches to fix do not count for me here - modified game saves do)
- Boosting just to advance oneself in an in game ranked leader board.

I have no issues with boosting multiplayer trophies in general or using a glitch that was shipped with the game especially if someone has paid $60 for a brand new game just to find a glitch. If the developer leaves in glitches and a player finds a way to exploit them to get a trophy or achievement then that is cool with me because the dev shipped a glitched product. I don't see anything wrong with a few trophies being acquired by Share Play either since that is a feature of the PlayStation 4.

I don't believe trophies that were earned during a Share Play session should be labeled "earned with share play" either. If Sony were ever to do that then I expect their Terms of Service to be amended to forbid any trophy boosting of any kind or remove the ability of the host to earn trophies. Its not fair to discourage one way of boosting but overlook another way of boosting.

I rather get a trophy that requires you to use local co-op via Share Play if there is no one around me wanting to play local co-op but yet there is someone else that also needs the same trophy and we are miles away. Makes sense to use Share Play in that scenario than boosting the trophy with a second DualShock 4 alone which defeats the purpose of the trophy. 

Me personally I don't think getting a few single play trophies via Share Play is bad or devalues a trophy rarity/value its like boosting multiplayer trophies to me or using a guide to gain trophies like for collectibles. 

For me personally I don't approve of someone playing a game for another person in any way to get half to all the trophies or achievements in any way. To me that devalues the purchase of the game, takes all the fun out of it. For me I rather spend the money on a game I personally would play then buy a copy of a game just to have another do half to all the work for me. 

Edited by ScoldingComa7

33 minutes ago, ScoldingComa7 said:

It is bittersweet I stumbled upon this thread because it answered some questions that me and a friend had about the feature. 

So essentially this is what happened I was watching him play a game we both have on our profiles and he was struggling on a particular level. I ended up taking over via Share Play and beating the one level for him. First time we had ever used that feature then we had questions pop into our heads. 

My worry was I invalidated a trophy further down the line for him which I found out via this thread what I did wouldn't invalidate the trophy. 

He was wandering if he tried out one of the remastered Crash games via Share Play would it add the trophy set to his account which I found out it wouldn't. 

This just means I won't let him play Crash 1 or 2 because I haven't beaten them all the way for the first time yet lol. He can play Crash 3 for as long as he wants within 1 hour because I already beat the bosses and got the crystals I just need to get the gems and relics now. :D

I also was curious because while going through my trophy lists I noticed besides "Chat" in the navibar at the top that "Gaming Sessions" rotates through the various types when a new page loads and one I saw was "Share Play Sessions" 

I personally was thinking about asking for help here via that feature with DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition just for two secret missions "Displaced Skirmish" and "Shenanigans" because I failed those two so many times and got very frustrated to the point I had to stop playing the game for a while. I'm not concerned with the trophies as I don't plan on platinuming the game anytime soon I just despise those two secret missions.

In my opinion I don't consider boosting (online or single player via Share Play) bad except in the following instances:
- Paying someone else to get trophies/achievements of any kind on your account regardless of method used.
- Externally modifying the hardware/software in a way the manufactor/developer didn't intend (i.e. in game glitches that require patches to fix do not count for me here - modified game saves do)
- Boosting just to advance oneself in an in game ranked leader board.

I have no issues with boosting multiplayer trophies in general or using a glitch that was shipped with the game especially if someone has paid $60 for a brand new game just to find a glitch. If the developer leaves in glitches and a player finds a way to exploit them to get a trophy or achievement then that is cool with me because the dev shipped a glitched product. I don't see anything wrong with a few trophies being acquired by Share Play either since that is a feature of the PlayStation 4.

I don't believe trophies that were earned during a Share Play session should be labeled "earned with share play" either. If Sony were ever to do that then I expect their Terms of Service to be amended to forbid any trophy boosting of any kind or remove the ability of the host to earn trophies. Its not fair to discourage one way of boosting but overlook another way of boosting.

I rather get a trophy that requires you to use local co-op via Share Play if there is no one around me wanting to play local co-op but yet there is someone else that also needs the same trophy and we are miles away. Makes sense to use Share Play in that scenario than boosting the trophy with a second DualShock 4 alone which defeats the purpose of the trophy. 

Me personally I don't think getting a few single play trophies via Share Play is bad or devalues a trophy rarity/value its like boosting multiplayer trophies to me or using a guide to gain trophies like for collectibles. 

For me personally I don't approve of someone playing a game for another person in any way to get half to all the trophies or achievements in any way. To me that devalues the purchase of the game, takes all the fun out of it. For me I rather spend the money on a game I personally would play then buy a copy of a game just to have another do half to all the work for me. 

My stance stands and I think Sly has mentioned before shareplay is fine as long as the trophies are received legitimately(no hacking) (don't quote me lol) 

What's the biggest difference between passing your controls over via shareplay, and passing your controls over to a friend sitting next to you.

Distance, that's it.

And in this day and age we probably should have gotten used to these type of things by now, it's only going to become more common to share this way. Even boosting. 

But I'll say that's 1 damn good shareplay connection! I can use psnow no issues, even on vita in another room! But shareplay always had that 500ms delay. So mad props for being able to play crash like that! 

6 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

My stance stands and I think Sly has mentioned before shareplay is fine as long as the trophies are received legitimately(no hacking) (don't quote me lol) 

What's the biggest difference between passing your controls over via shareplay, and passing your controls over to a friend sitting next to you.

Distance, that's it.

And in this day and age we probably should have gotten used to these type of things by now, it's only going to become more common to share this way. Even boosting. 

But I'll say that's 1 damn good shareplay connection! I can use psnow no issues, even on vita in another room! But shareplay always had that 500ms delay. So mad props for being able to play crash like that! 

He just wants to try it out before he buys he never played the OG PS1 releases! I was shocked when he told me that lol I'm letting him play Crash 3 this weekend via Share Play not sure how it will work with the 500ms delay but it will be fun to see how he does. I'm not letting him play Crash 1 or 2 under my name via Share Play because I want to beat them first lol

NGL I'm kind of against boosting in general if it's a game like Overwatch I feel like you must get the trophies by yourself, but your friends can help (but not rig it)

However, if it's a PS3 game I think boosting is kinda OK cause most games no longer have an online community