What's your opinion on share play boosting?

OJ9999vr

2 hours ago, APeskyAxolotl said:

Somebody asked people to Shareplay "The Kid" from Super Meat Boy. This was my response...

"The year was 2005. Times were simpler. Games were different. Little 10-year-old me, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, spent the summer season waking up just as the dawn yawned over the crest of the world, and happy that the day had officially begun. Not, mind you, because I like the day, or the sun, or summer heat, or any other aspect of "daytime," but because the sun meant it was an acceptable time of day for me to be awake, and the square, bubble TV's unavoidable click-and-static means of powering-on wouldn't get me in trouble for not being a good little boy and being asleep when I should be. Neither here nor there. There were a few games I loved to juggle back then, picking some up and tossing some aside, trying to find one that I liked. It was a process.

This was, you see, before trophies and achievements existed (at least on the console side of the landscape), so everybody and their mother started dozens of games and never finished them because "completions" and "statistics" were "good ideas," at best. Finding a game that I could really sink my teeth into took quite a bit of trial and error. There was one franchise, though, that I'd play until blue in the face, without even needing to "try" the games to see if I would like them; I could rent them right off the shelf and know that I would be spending countless hours with them. Star Wars. Those games fueled my childhood almost as much as the movies have. As time has gone on, the games and the movies have grown to disappoint but my *memories* of the games are strong, still.

As mentioned, 2005. "Revenge of the Sith" was everywhere, and everything. Toys. Merchandise. Double-sided puzzles that you could sandwich between two pieces of plexiglass and hang from your ceiling so you can see the Jedi AND the Sith as it slowly spins oh my god it was amazing. And, of course, video games... back then, every movie had a game adaptation but Star Wars didn't do it like the others did. Star Wars did it right. The Revenge of the Sith video game was lightning in a bottle. It was the most beautiful game ever created. It was better than anything that had come out before and most certainly better than anything that has come out since. If there was one thing to give to the aliens to prove how advanced we are as a species, it's the artistic and creative masterpiece that is the Revenge of the Sith video game adaptation on the original Xbox. Please note: I also haven't played it since 2005 so my memory of it may be faded, biased, and inaccurate.

Anyways, I loved the game. I loved it, even though it was stressful. The game was hard for a kid. There were fights I struggled with, and some I all but gave up on. But, I persevered and prevailed.

I'm sorry. I've lied to you. I prevailed with most parts of the game after hours of trial and error, but there was one part that I could not beat. Mace Windu v Palpatine. I'm not sure what about it was so difficult but I simply could not grasp success. Breathless, angry, and disappointed, I asked my then-stepdad to beat it for me. He did, fairly quickly and painlessly. I learned then and there that the anger and disappointment of failure pale in comparison to the anger and disappointment of giving up; to having somebody else help with the challenge and strip me of potential pride. I regret that to this day.

I beat the remainder of the game and, although it was still hard, I knew that it was possible as I had seen it done. I don't remember the rest of the game. I remember the Windu v Palpatine fight. I remember giving up. I remember never being able to beat it without, first, somebody doing the work for me. The fight had been won. But, I wasn't the one to do it. I don't think I've ever played that fight since, nor do I want to. It haunts me. I was the chosen one. It was said I was to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness; destroy the Sith, not join them. Alas, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to shareplaying. You deserve to be content with your memory of Super Meat Boy. I believe in you. May the force be with you"

EDIT: I've been corrected. It's Windu v Anakin during Palpatine's reveal as a Sith. Either way.

this is exactly my point. Flashing a medal of achievement, for something you didnt do, is hollow. I would never let anyone get a trophy for me.

i WILL boost and co op, and DO work, and yeah, i might have a partner who does more than 50% of The work, but as Long as i participate and contribute, i did The work. 

In football (soccer), its a form of co op, and 11 players win together. And there might be a superstar doing The biggest effort, but all contribute.

shareplaying and letting others play, is contributing with NOTHING towards The Victory/trophy. 

• Like 1

I'm against it: it may be allowed for the leaderboards or similar, but under a morality point of view I find it so wrong and miserable. Having another person do the job for you is just sad.

I'm even surprised there are folks comparing it to traditional boosting: boosting with other players still requires effort from yourself, share boosting does not. Receiving help is one thing, doing nothing and having the task done by someone else is another.

• Like 4

After i read whole thread i want to address some things.

This is old af, opinions probably changed since then but: there is grey area in both boosting sessions and share play sessions in terms of what's "cheating" (but we can kinda get rid of it).

Firstly we can't just oversimplify to: boosting = good/bad, shareplay = good/bad.

We can categorise both:

SharePlay:

1. Playing local co-op/multiplayer games but over shareplay. (e.g. Doom 2, Resogun)

2. Playing part of the game that may be unbelievably hard for some players for different reasons. (e.g. button mashing)

3. Just bluntly getting trophies for someone.

Boosting:

1. Getting team for co-op. (e.g. GTA V DLC heists, Dying Light, Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Homefront)

2. Playing otherwise dead multiplayer. (pff maaaaany Mordheim and Resident Evil 6 are just 2 i won't ever forget)

3. Rest i guess, playing fine and alive game to boost rank or some other thing that is probably still possible to do legit way (e.g. Street Fighter V, UFC 4 and For Honor are just few i see often)

While i think 1. in both is very fine, good even (for GTA V getting crew is even intended way to do it), 2. should be fine too.

Now finally Boosting 3. may be very different to every game, some can debate for hours if it is "cheating", if people can say they really got the plat etc. etc.

But boy, oh boy SharePlay 3. is just getting for free at it's finest and we all know it is. 

Nobody is going to ask for "kill 10 enemies" because it's too hard to them but then they go for "beat the game on shoving-big-red-hot-metal-club-up-your-bum difficluty" alone. People gonna ask for Mein Laben, Batmans Freeflow Perfection/Brutality 101 trophies and entirety of Driveclub apparently. In my opinion plat is worth as much as it's hardest trophy, so it's not getting just one trophy in my head, 1 can make or break most lists. Wolf II would have bland, forgettable and quite easy list if not Mein Laben. Fall Guys wouldn't even get half it's fame here if not Infallible. 

If you SharePlay pop like kill x enemies, complete tutorial that's fine and you would probably do them anyway when you go for platinum but if you can do every trophy expect     
No Point in Dying 
from Limbo you are not even close to 100% even if 90% on your profile says otherwise.

And friend playing on your account is same as Shareplaying to me. If someone comes to you, play Uncharted, pops trophies for kill 30 enemies/find 10 treasure it's perfectly fine but if they sit down and complete Brutal difficulty for you that's just stupid.

I just picture my reaction when someone told me they have Crypt of the Necrodancer plat and then they mention it was fully played by someone else, it would be very similar to "Luigi follow only the Ferrari" scene from Cars.

I think there could be solution to that. Games could have access to info if you are using SharePlay and devs should be able to disable trophies in their games if they wanted to. Like when you start SharePlay this blue pop up shows and says something like:

"

Using SharePlay feature may disable some features in this game such as:

• Trophies

"

And even better if devs could disable only some of the trophies like you can do everything but certain trophies like mentioned Brutality 101, Super Meat Boy deathless trophies or There Can Be Only One from UFC 4. Trophies could be listed on this pop up thing or something. That's solution for casual players who may want to play campain "pass the controller when you die" way, still get easy trophies/get them in correct order but this would change a lot to SharePlay boosters.

Edited by WiktorM101

2 hours ago, TomataEighty9 said:

I guess those who compare it with boosting, can compare it with having a threesome vs someone just banging your Girl ?

the job is done, but you had no part of it ?

Now Imagine it as girl on girl action with you watching. Might be easier for you to comprehend

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, disabling trophies earning via shareplay seems nice, but for me better would be having note at the trophy "earned via shareplay". And this note also under platinum trophy even if you earned 1 and only trophy from the trophy list using shareplay. In that case it would be possible to earn trophies using shareplay, but everyone will know which trophy you didnt earn by yourself

??

Edited by DaivRules

lol @ elitist rhetoric

If there's a trophy in a fighting game for getting 10 wins a row.. And I don't have the skill to do it MYSELF.. so I get a friend who is very good at the game to play for me instead.. I would've gotten the trophy but not because I had the skill to do it

How is that different from boosting the same trophy with another boosting partner? How much skill does it take to arrange someone stand there like a dummy while u wallop them for 10 games straight?

Having someone do the trophy for you STILL MEETS THE TROPHY REQUIREMENT

I've never seen a trophy called "perform x by account holder only"

people need to get a life, mind their own damn business and stop trying to fabricate ways to make themselves feel they're better than others. I can't imagine the ego involved in trying to police the validity of someone else earning a trophy over an officially implemented Sony feature

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

lol @ elitist rhetoric

people need to get a life, mind their own damn business and stop trying to fabricate ways to make themselves feel they're better than others. I can't imagine the ego involved in trying to police the validity of someone else earning a trophy over an officially implemented Sony feature

I'm sure that may apply to some people, but I think most of the people in here are just taking the piss. I wouldn't take anything too seriously; it's not worth the mental anguish. 

People are fee to set their own standards and do as they please. However, when a leaderboard is derived for the sake of competition, there also needs to be a clear set of standards and rules, which have clearly degraded over time, which is what is causing people to become heated, I believe. There have always been accounts with multiple users, save file hacking, CFW and, more recently, SharePlay, which, in my opinion, have made it an utterly pointless and meaningless event, not that it hasn't pretty much been this way from the start, just one more fault added to the list. 

On 3/30/2017 at 0:27 AM, iAlphaSoldier said:

The things I read here are ridiculous. 

If you consider share play cheating then the whole trophy boosting session is cheating and the same logic would apply if you got any trophy with others including multiplayer trophies. With your logic you'd need multiple consoles and game copies to get these trophies yourself because if you got them with another person you wouldn't have gotten the trophy yourself. 

I agree with the post a few before mine that trophies mean different things to different people. 

Having grown up with Gameboys it was a common thing to hand it to your friend for a couple of minutes until he got you past the part you couldn't do and then you finished the game yourself. Share play is exactly that and even if it's used to get trophies that you can't do, so what? Gaming is about having fun and so is trophy hunting. It's not a bad thing to ask for help you know? 

The definition of cheating is gaining an advantage unfairly. Share play isn't unfair it's accessible to everyone. 

You have articulated my thoughts perfectly. I have used the Share Play feature to help earn different trophies for other people before. Their hobby isn't any less significant now because of it.

I look at share play as the 21st century method of asking your parents, older siblings, or friends to complete a section for you. You're not hacking the game or anything but doing something that we gamers have been doing for decades, helping each other. It's on the same level as being carried in an MP or Coop mode IMO.

• Like 4

I guess realistically, opinions on SharePlay, with regards to Trophy Hunting/ Leaderboards etc. are going to boil down ones view on what exactly constitutes a profile - the account, or the person:dunno:

If one considers the profile to be purely an account, then really, the actual person “at the wheel” for a specific trophy is immaterial- it could be a couple / a group / a whole team… or SharePlay feeding into it, and it wouldn’t matter really, as all that is important is what trophies appear on the account.

On the other hand, if someone thinks of a profile as a person - a specific gamer - then obviously SharePlay is going to be considered gauche in that instance.

Though, obviously, if that’s the case, they would also have to consider practices having “alt” profiles / multiple profiles / starting over with new accounts etc. to be gauche too - since those would all have to be considered to be a part of that same person, and so would have to be factored into things like completion percentage / average rarity etc - and to be honest, those are widely accepted as legitimate practice.

Personally, I have no issue with folks using it for trophies  - but I don’t really like the idea of using it myself, and have declined when I have (rarely) been asked to do it.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

My view is influenced by my health. I get every single trophy that I am able to get by myself without harming my anxiety or mental health. If I find one that is so difficult for me that it becomes detrimental to my anxiety, then I use SharePlay and credit the people who helped. Y'all can call that pathetic if you want, but nothing comes before my mental health and a 100% profile is important to me. To date, with 19 platinums, I have only had to use SharePlay for one DLC trophy.

• Like 1

It's 100% cheating, I could never do it because I can't look at my profile ever again knowing another man earned a trophy in it, I would rather never get a trophy than have somebody else do it for me, what's the point of having a trophy hunting profile if somebody else is going to do the real work

17 minutes ago, The Investigator said:

It's 100% cheating, I could never do it because I can't look at my profile ever again knowing another man earned a trophy in it, I would rather never get a trophy than have somebody else do it for me, what's the point of having a trophy hunting profile if somebody else is going to do the real work

People who are ok with share play boosting don't care about the satisfaction of overcoming the odds and having the feeling of accomplishment of earning the Trophy themselves, they just want the Trophy unlocked, regardless of how

Just a different way of approaching Trophy hunting, and personally I would never agree with that

It's a weird place for this hobby to be in when people choose to personally value earning trophies on their own accounts that they did not get instead of accepting that they won't get the plat/100%

It's not like just playing the game and getting help, something you probably shouldn't do either, because trophy hunting and gaming aren't the same hobby anyway

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

It's a weird place for this hobby to be in when people choose to personally value earning trophies on their own accounts that they did not get instead of accepting that they won't get the plat/100%

its even weirder trying to impose your own values on other ppl 

personal value is subjective. and as long as u are having fun trophy hunting by whatever arbitrary personal metrics u use (eg both of us won't play a game that doesn't have a platinum, and I'm sure u have had people call u stupid for it - I certainly have), then what does it matter what other ppl do?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

its even weirder trying to impose your own values on other ppl 

personal value is subjective. and as long as u are having fun trophy hunting by whatever arbitrary personal metrics u use (eg both of us won't play a game that doesn't have a platinum, and I'm sure u have had people call u stupid for it - I certainly have), then what does it matter what other ppl do?

Well in the immediate it sort of devalues the metric for the trophies I guess. May as well just let people buy trophies at that point. But your line of response is really pretty pointless since not only am I not "imposing" anything on anyone, I couldn't even if I wanted to since it's not like I control someone's actions other than my own. The only imposition here is the website's rules that we either adhere to or are penalized for. 

What I'm doing is having my own opinion. Sorry if it doesn't jive with the feel-good rhetoric but I'm entitled to it all the same. 

• Like 4