Switch It Up! (event for Nintendo Switch gamers)

9hjdwaM.png

Because I have not yet found a Nintendo community to rival PSNP and there are enough Switch players here to warrant an event

Event open for joining!

Do you find the pressure of trophies to be a burden on how much you can enjoy a game?

Have you seen too much of Shepard and Ezio lately and too little of Mario and Zelda?

D0 you like the community event setup of PSNP and do you wish Nintendo had a forum like this?

Have you tried praying to our lord and saviour, King Bowser? How about an event focussing on the Switch?

The Idea

As is probably clear from my talks about the Switch and my other event, I divide my gaming time between the PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.

There are a fair few people on PSNP who are getting the Switch, and I thought having an event for those people would be fun. This way, we can be a bit more active about sharing our experiences.

The rules

• The event runs from the first of March to the end of 2017. You can use your own time zone for this.
  • There is no limit to the number of participants. If you want to join, then join!
  • You can join even after the event has started. The event will run for the rest of the year so naturally people who get a Switch at a later time
  • Participants should have at least 100 posts in the forum to their name, and have been a member since 2016/01/01 or earlier. This is to filter out people who are not active in the threads and/or have just found PSNprofiles, I'd like to see all participants staying active to the end.
  • By the end of the event you should have played through at least 4 games. I'm keeping this number intentionally low for the people who only feel like playing the big exclusives. More is allowed, of course, but try to keep your list to games you already own or have pre-ordered.
  • Adding games to your list once the event has started is allowed. Of course it is, we don't nearly know all the games that will be released yet.
  • All games that run on Switch are allowed, also games from the Virtual Console. If you're mainly looking to do retro gaming though, you might want to consider the Golden Oldies event.
  • You should make regular updates in this thread. Tell us about the games you've been playing, and your opinion on them. If there's a thing as "too much talkie", I haven't seen it, and this event can be a nice way to discover cool older games because other people are playing them.
  • Have fun!

Scoring:

:platinum: - at least 8 games played through

:gold: - at least 4 games played through

:silver: - at least 1 game played through

:bronze: - joined the event

The Go-Getters (actually played through at least four games, like the event asks for)

:gold: BillyHorrible (Early Bird)

Spoiler

Games Played Through

Fast RMX

Snipperclips

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Shovel Knight: Shovel Of Hope

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Shovel Knight: Specter Of Torment

World Of Goo

Games Played

Blaster Master Zero

Human Resource Machine

:platinum: Super-Fly Spider-Guy (Early Bird)

Spoiler

Games Played Through

Fast RMX

Metal Slug 3

King of Fighters '98

Shovel Knight: Specter Of Torment

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Over Top

Mr. Shifty

Kamiko

Dark Which Music Episode: Rudymical

Gunvolt

Games Played

Blaster Master Zero

Graceful Explosion Machine

NBA Playgrounds

The Early Birds (joined for March)

:silver: angelgrievous

Spoiler

Games Played Through

Neo Turf Masters

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Games Played

Alpha Mission II

Blaster Master Zero

Metal Slug 3

Games to play

Kamiko

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

:bronze: cjshaitan

Spoiler

Games Played Through

Games Played

Games to play

TBA

TBA

TBA

:silver: fisty123

Spoiler

Games Played Through

Super Bomberman R

Games Played

Blaster Master Zero

VOEZ

Games to play

:bronze: MosesRockefeller

Spoiler

Games Played Through

Games Played

Blaster Master Zero

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Games to play

TBA

:bronze: SnowxSakura

Spoiler

Games Played Through

Games Played

Games to play

TBA

TBA

TBA

:silver: Zanreo

Spoiler

Games Played Through

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Games Played

Dark Witch Rudymical

Games to play

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Splatoon 2

Super Bomberman R

Super Mario Odyssey

Taiko no Tatsujin Switch

VOEZ

The Second Mice (joined after March)

:bronze: DuckSwimmer
Spoiler

Games to play

VOEZ

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

World of Goo

Super Bomberman R

Puyo Puyo Tetris

LOZ BOTW

Binding of Isaac Rebirth

Game I'll be getting when they release so they can be added to the list

Splatoon 2

Super Mario Sunshine - Virtual Console

Animal Crossing - Virtual Console

Luigi's Mansion - Virtual Console

SSB Mele - Virtual Console

Super Mario Odessy

Taiko no Tatsujin Switch

:bronze: Miles_Warren
Spoiler

Games Played Through

Games Played

Disgaea 5 

Arms

Fast RMX

Ultimate Street Fight II: The Final Challengers

Just Dance 2017

Binding of Isaac

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Games to play

:bronze: ShonenCat
Spoiler

Games Played Through

Games Played

Games to play

Splatoon 2

Super Mario Odyssey

:bronze: SolidJD
Spoiler

Games Played Through

Games Played

1-2-Switch

Snipperclips

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Games to play

Edited by BillyHorrible
updates
  • Like 3

↑ Someone is upset they don't meet the requirements to join... 

I'll have to keep this thread in mind if I manage to get permission from wifey to buy the Switch right away and can find time to get some real gaming in. This thread should prove most helpful in getting some real-world Switch gaming experience in my purview, since I don't go to any gaming sites outside of this one.

Thanks for starting up the Event, BillyAcceptable!

• Like 1

I probably should have waited a bit with creating this thread, it's getting snowed under by other events. I don't think many Switch players have even seen this thread, they might not overlap with the people looking in the event forum...

On 08/02/2017 at 5:28 PM, NebbyLunala said:

What should we do with this thread, Dragon? Technically posting a Nintendo thread in a PSN forum is treason. xD

J/K. Sadly, I will never be able to afford the switch on launch date.

To afford my Switch, I'm selling a bunch of stuff I'm not using any more like my Vita, my Wii and old games.

On 08/02/2017 at 5:52 PM, DaivRules said:

↑ Someone is upset they don't meet the requirements to join... 

I'll have to keep this thread in mind if I manage to get permission from wifey to buy the Switch right away and can find time to get some real gaming in. This thread should prove most helpful in getting some real-world Switch gaming experience in my purview, since I don't go to any gaming sites outside of this one.

Thanks for starting up the Event, BillyAcceptable!

My wife gave me permission... Provided I would sell one of my consoles because she thought it was getting crowded xD

Sold the Wii, that thing was only still here to play Netflix in the living room (the PlayStations are in the mancave) and it hadn't been used since we bought a smart-tv :)

And yeah I figured there's not really a cool Nintendo forum like PSNP so might better do an event here for Switch players that are also into PlayStation.

7 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I probably should have waited a bit with creating this thread, it's getting snowed under by other events. I don't think many Switch players have even seen this thread, they might not overlap with the people looking in the event forum...

To afford my Switch, I'm selling a bunch of stuff I'm not using any more like my Vita, my Wii and old games.

My wife gave me permission... Provided I would sell one of my consoles because she thought it was getting crowded xD

Sold the Wii, that thing was only still here to play Netflix in the living room (the PlayStations are in the mancave) and it hadn't been used since we bought a smart-tv :)

And yeah I figured there's not really a cool Nintendo forum like PSNP so might better do an event here for Switch players that are also into PlayStation.

Yeah, the Nintendo Wii and Wii U are pretty much no longer supported and dead, so it makes sense to trade it for credit towards the Switch. Sadly, I'll never be able to afford one at launch date, I only have $40 to my name. Maybe I can sell all my 3DS stuff, but then I'll have to give up on Pokemon again and that hurts. xD

On 14-2-2017 at 4:24 AM, NebbyLunala said:

Yeah, the Nintendo Wii and Wii U are pretty much no longer supported and dead, so it makes sense to trade it for credit towards the Switch. Sadly, I'll never be able to afford one at launch date, I only have $40 to my name. Maybe I can sell all my 3DS stuff, but then I'll have to give up on Pokemon again and that hurts. xD

What I'm hearing is you'll have no problems with selling your 3DS if they announce a full Pokémon game for the Switch?

... Because we're all waiting on that news item, something Pokémon is in development and given the best-of-both-worlds nature of the Switch, it would not be impossible to see an actual full Pokémon game for the Switch in the near future.

12 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

I'm in :D

Getting/signing up with for now:

- Breath of the Wild

- Mario Odyssey

- Splatoon 2

- Bomberman

- Taiko no Tatsujin Switch (if released in 2017, getting either way though)

Cool! I'll add you to the list. You're always allowed to remove games from your list if they've been delayed or if you're not buying them any more.

Personally, I only added the games I'll get at launch. Definitely getting Super Mario Odyssey when it's released but I figured that if the December launch window holds up then I'll add it to my list then.

Edited by BillyHorrible

I might just get Super Bomberman R after all. Selling / trading in games and consoles has gone well and just looking at money I didn't have to pay that much for my Switch and accessories, might want to add one more game.

Also Fast RMX and Snipperclips are now confirmed for launch and I'm definitely picking those up, perhaps even day one.

On 24/02/2017 at 0:18 PM, BillyHorrible said:

I might just get Super Bomberman R after all. Selling / trading in games and consoles has gone well and just looking at money I didn't have to pay that much for my Switch and accessories, might want to add one more game.

Also Fast RMX and Snipperclips are now confirmed for launch and I'm definitely picking those up, perhaps even day one.

Still in doubt about Bomberman.

Fast RMX's price has been revealed as being €20 and for a price like that I'll buy it on launch.

We already knew Snipperclips would be €20 but it is now also available as a bundle with red and blue joycons, which I planned on buying anyway separately, for just €15 more than a pack of only joycons so I'm definitely picking that one up at launch as well.

I added icons to the list of games that are being played - also removed everything there that's not a launch title, I'll add games as they're being released since my intention with that section was that people could see right away which games we'd have experience with and could give opinions and advice on.

9 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I'd like to join since I'm doing the whole launch thing. As of now, only picking up Zelda, but that might change depending on the digital store

1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:

Sign me up Billy, I'm in day one with Breath of the Wild.

Both added, and welcome! Looks like we all have a lot to discuss on Zelda :)

@Zanreo adding you to this post as well so you get notified.

All: what's your planned strategy on Zelda? Are you going to stick to the main story, are you going for 100%, are you going for somewhere in between?

Personally I'll probably do a lot, but not everything. Huge open games are often a problem for me - like Zanreo, I get distracted by other games quickly. Glad Zelda is the only big game I'm interested in with the Switch launch so I should be able to get through the whole game. If there are enough in-game counters to tell me how I'm doing in each region and how much I've got left to go, I might even 100% the whole thing, but I wouldn't count on it.

I have a problem with open world games whereas I can't finish the main story until everything else is done.  I did it with Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4, and MGSV.  I'm trying to make an exception with Horizon so I can at least finish the story by Friday and then play Zelda but I keep doing the damn side quest and gathering stuff for hours.  All of this just means that I will 100% 100% Zelda dlc not included (although I'll probably get that too).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zanreo said:

So got another game to add to the list: VOEZ (which is a launch title in Europe!), to no one's surprise I'm getting the rhythm game :3

Cool stuff! I'll add it to the list and I'll make an icon for it.

7 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

I have a problem with open world games whereas I can't finish the main story until everything else is done.  I did it with Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4, and MGSV.  I'm trying to make an exception with Horizon so I can at least finish the story by Friday and then play Zelda but I keep doing the damn side quest and gathering stuff for hours.  All of this just means that I will 100% 100% Zelda dlc not included (although I'll probably get that too).

Doing other stuff and then getting distracted (both in-game and out) is exactly why I've started but never finished any Witcher (started 2 and 3), Fallout (started 3, NV and 4), Dragon Age (started all three), Elder Scrolls (started Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim), Far Cry (started 3 and Primal)... I'm used to games pushing me more towards the next mission, like the Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed and Just Cause games do (they also all have less extensive side quests and maps that are easier to not get lost in).

Trying to make a change with Witcher III, want to do all the Witcher contracts and side quests now before I continue on to Skellige. Getting pretty far in Witcher III now, only one of those games mentioned above where I got farther was Skyrim, though I still didn't finish that one sadly. With the latest Zelda being a big open world as well I'm twice as determined to finally get through these games. I also want to find Skyrim for PS4 at some point to try it once more, and I've already got Fallout 4 lying in wait.

I might as well join given this is going to take up a lot of my gaming time..... and work time being portable :D

Games I have on pre-order
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Super Bomberman R

There are a few others I want to play so I will end up getting them but waiting to see what is out after a week or so. I also feel that cross platform games I will still play on the PS4 when possible mainly due to the trophies

Edited by fisty123
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, fisty123 said:

I might as well join given this is going to take up a lot of my gaming time..... and work time being portable :D

Games I have on pre-order
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Super Bomberman R

There are a few others I want to play so I will end up getting them but waiting to see what is out after a week or so. I also feel that cross platform games I will still play on the PS4 when possible mainly due to the trophies

Welcome, and added!

I'm glad both you and @Zanreo are trying Bomberman right away. I was doubting about getting it but that had more to do with not many games being out yet, decided not to get it right away because I really want to know if the game is worth it first, from peers instead of reviewers. I've never been into the Bomberman multiplayer so how long the story campaign will take you to beat is a big factor for me.

Also, thanks to @xFalionx giving me the idea, I've now made a header for the event. Decided to go for minimalistic and efficient, if I ever create a header for my other events they should prove more intricate but I liked the pure red with white text for a Nintendo event myself. Falion, you probably haven't seen this yet but I also did something cool in the OP with the list of games that everybody is playing (which is of course a lot easier to do for a new console event than for any general games event).