Switch It Up! (event for Nintendo Switch gamers)

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Also, thanks to @xFalionx giving me the idea, I've now made a header for the event. Decided to go for minimalistic and efficient, if I ever create a header for my other events they should prove more intricate but I liked the pure red with white text for a Nintendo event myself. Falion, you probably haven't seen this yet but I also did something cool in the OP with the list of games that everybody is playing (which is of course a lot easier to do for a new console event than for any general games event).

You're welcome. :P

I think the banner fits really well. The game icons also look neat but if I were to do this for each game my participants are playing the OP would be long enough to reach around the world and hit me in the head. Gimp would probably sue me as well for not leaving the poor guy alone. ^_^ 

Anyways, I'll be off now before I get jealous of all you switch players. :) 

http://kotaku.com/the-switchs-day-one-update-adds-a-spartan-eshop-and-dre-1792889134

Seems like we're back on friend codes, yay!

This will probably be the point of ridicule for many but honestly, I don't mind that much. I prefer having this code system over constantly getting friend requests from unknowns just because I'm playing the same game as them.

YES, I'M ANTI SOCIAL, I KNOW!

So now the question is: do you all want to swap friend codes? Might be good to creat one group PM list if that's the case. Otherwise, if anyone wants mine then just send me a PM here.

Yeah, this will be a pain especially since they "fixed" it for Wii U... for me, I usually just delete requests from randoms (or more likely, let them expire, sometimes i'm not sure and have to try finding out if this is someone I know or not... just leave a note when requesting, jeez!) and not looking forwards to having to keep digging up this 12-digit code, copypasting it over and over again rather than just searching up the username of someone I already know... at least I can add most of my friends through social media since we're already facebook friends/twitter mutuals.

Edited by Zanreo

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

The time is almost upon us! Are your bodies ready?

I just wanted to say I'm interested in joining this event, but only when I get my Switch. Which will hopefully be tomorrow! 

In any case, I'll let you know how it turns out. At the very least I'll put Zelda BotW on my list. I WILL finally finish a Zelda game, dammit! :)

P.S. My body is ready... 

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I just wanted to say I'm interested in joining this event, but only when I get my Switch. Which will hopefully be tomorrow! 

In any case, I'll let you know how it turns out. At the very least I'll put Zelda BotW on my list. I WILL finally finish a Zelda game, dammit! :)

P.S. My body is ready... 

Naturally, if you get a Switch then I'll add you right away. Happy hunting!

Sounds like a fun idea for an event, but unfortunately I'm not eligible to join as I haven't been a member here long enough. Also playing through 4 Switch games can pose a challenge for me knowing my pace with completing games.

I will probably be lurking and reading your thoughts on games, though. Good luck to the event!

11 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Sounds like a fun idea for an event, but unfortunately I'm not eligible to join as I haven't been a member here long enough. Also playing through 4 Switch games can pose a challenge for me knowing my pace with completing games.

I will probably be lurking and reading your thoughts on games, though. Good luck to the event!

Wait, what? I wanted to say that you can join anyway, but I thought I saw you in a few different threads so I checked your profile and you've been a member for almost as long as me! Just join, it will be fun! Four Switch games in ten months should be manageable, there's enough short games coming in.

Also, fuck the rules.

WT6Hk.gif

6 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

THAT, my friend, is treason :/

Nah, me getting an X360 to replace my Wii was treason xD

I'm just going home now... :)

Still going to game on PS4 and PS3 next to the Switch but one handheld is enough for me, I never used the Vita much... Just for a few PS+ games and to play on PS4 when there was no television available. Now with the Switch, I finally can just play on with my home console games instead of stopping on those and finding some handheld console game to play. I'd never use my Vita any more... It makes sense to sell it, for me.

1 minute ago, xFalionx said:

Hey, someone gets it. :D I will purposefully not mention StaoshiOokami because he'd probably instantly die of a heart attack. :P 

He knows, he's been to my status feed. What a long and fun discussion that was...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Ha, I finished the first main story quest in Breath of the Wild, expected a chime and looked up into the corner of the screen, then I laughed at myself and went back to playing.  

I'm so happy I can play without trophies now...

Also, Zelda does not seem to have a completion percentage somewhere so who knows when you've actually found everything.

Loving Zelda and loving Fast RMX, will get to Snipperclips after dinner.

8 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm so happy I can play without trophies now...

Also, Zelda does not seem to have a completion percentage somewhere so who knows when you've actually found everything.

Loving Zelda and loving Fast RMX, will get to Snipperclips after dinner.

Zelda is amazing.  I am so glad I bought the Switch.  I got it not only for Zelda but for what I am sure Nintendo will throw at it for years to come.  Happy with my day one purchase for sure.  I will get Fast RMX and maybe Bomberman next week.

33 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Whaaaat? :c As a collector this will be a pain... almost feel like obsessively writing down everything I find now xD

Also for a game like VOEZ, I'll say "playing through" means "playing every song at least once on Hard" maybe with B-rank or higher (doesn't actually seem like you can fail/not clear songs either, you just get a low rank at worst)

Edited by Zanreo

Well, I just stumbled upon the cooking mechanics xD

For the record, add a spicy pepper if you want cold resistance. Cooking a spicy pepper, an apple, an egg and a  Hylian shroom together will net you a Spicy Simmered Fruit that grants five hearts and ten minutes of cold resistance. Adding an extra apple makes that six hearts but only 5.5 minutes of cold resistance. Two apples, two eggs and one shroom is a mix that gives a whopping ten hearts.

Edited by BillyHorrible

17 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well, I just stumbled upon the cooking mechanics xD

For the record, add a spicy pepper if you want cold resistance. Cooking a spicy pepper, an apple, an egg and a  Hylian shroom together will net you a Spicy Simmered Fruit that grants five hearts and ten minutes of cold resistance. Adding an extra apple makes that six hearts but only 5.5 minutes of cold resistance. Two apples, two eggs and one shroom is a mix that gives a whopping ten hearts.

I was just about to ask if anyone could help me with the cooking mechanics.  So far I've only figured out that if I drop anything on an open fire it will char.  I've been trying to strike flint next to a cauldron but can't get it to light.  Is this how I cook?  So I thought if I could light the fire under the cauldron and then drop ingredients inside it will concoct something.  Is this right?  

*Nevermind, I'm an idiot.  Didn't even think about using a torch.  

Edited by angelgrievous

3 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I was just about to ask if anyone could help me with the cooking mechanics.  So far I've only figured out that if I drop anything on an open fire it will char.  I've been trying to strike flint next to a cauldron but can't get it to light.  Is this how I cook?  So I thought if I could light the fire under the cauldron and then drop ingredients inside it will concoct something.  Is this right?  

I first dropped something in fire as well. Just before going to the third shrine, I saw a fire with some enemies I dispatched, and I saw something that was not exactly a pot but more of a stone bowl over some wood. I took a wooden weapon (actually have a torch but I found that stuff like a boko club works as well), hold Y next to the fire and I light it. Hold Y with the burning weapon next to the bowl with wood and I light the wood. Then, if you hold something next to the bowl over the fire, you get the option to cook. You must throw all ingredients you want in there at once.

My guess is if you found a pot then it should work the same way.

So, here's my first big update:

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

0jbHSxG.jpg

... Yes, I dyed my clothing green :)

It's very hard for me to keep it short while talking about Zelda. It's such an amazing game, much better than I even expected. I'm not kidding when I say that this feels like the best game I've ever played. It's just so massive, so amazing, so so varied... Everything feels like it's been thought about, from a lone sword in a stone to the charred remains of a house where a fire ghost is roaming around. There's so much to do, so much to see... In three days of playing, I've only just managed to get to the second town, the rest was exploration. I've seen blood moons, a skeleton of a very big creature, I've had a (completely optional and hidden) battle with a creature that in-game literally lasted from dawn till dusk...

It feels like a relief that there's finally a game that can make me stop saying that my favourite game is from the N64 era. Turns out that the best way to make me look past my nostalgia goggles is with a game that takes the best parts of those games from before, and turns them into something better. This game move so far away from the Zelda formula, yet stays so close at the same time... Just when you notice how little music there's in the game, you suddenly run into an octorok. You're climbing a mountain for the first time in a Zelda game, and you find a Korok halfway to the top. BOTW does an excellent job of moving the gameplay into the current age, while keeping the atmosphere unmistakably like the classic Zelda games.

It's amazing how little I've seen from the map, yet how many different kinds of environment I've already walked through, from freezing mountain tops to thick forests and from waterfalls to huge cliffs overlooking the sea. I can't wait to see what other secrets the game has in store for me.

Fast RMX

I9wpLg4.jpg

In short: Fast RMX is much, much better than I expected. It feels like a true successor to F-Zero, it has especially taken a few pages from F-Zero GX.

I've played through all the championships on the easiest difficulty and started a bit on the second difficulty, all but the final vehicle are unlocked.

I like how varied the tracks are, from water to ice to sand to city to forest. The tracks themselves are a lot of fun and are as varied as they can be, while still being race tracks.

The devs are geniuses. They're getting this kind of graphics (1080p, 60fps) from a Switch in an absurdly fast racing game, and the game itself isn't even 900MB big (it's more than 100MB smaller than Snipperclips, by the way). 

Snipperclips

NJipWxq.jpg

Me and the missus have done two whole worlds now, and a few levels of the third world. I'd advise everyone who wants to regularly play with a partner to get this game, it's a sweet puzzle game that has a nice learning curve. Can't really say much without spoiling too many puzzles but there's a lot of fun, varied stuff in there.

There's party games and four player cutout puzzles, which we will try when we have some more people over. For now, the main game is enjoyable enough, though there may not be much replay value once we've reached the end. I don't know how many worlds there are in the game but it feels like it would be easy to add more stuff through DLC.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

So, here's my first big update:

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

0jbHSxG.jpg

... Yes, I dyed my clothing green :)

It's very hard for me to keep it short while talking about Zelda. It's such an amazing game, much better than I even expected. I'm not kidding when I say that this feels like the best game I've ever played. It's just so massive, so amazing, so so varied... Everything feels like it's been thought about, from a lone sword in a stone to the charred remains of a house where a fire ghost is roaming around. There's so much to do, so much to see... In three days of playing, I've only just managed to get to the second town, the rest was exploration. I've seen blood moons, a skeleton of a very big creature, I've had a (completely optional and hidden) battle with a creature that in-game literally lasted from dawn till dusk...

It feels like a relief that there's finally a game that can make me stop saying that my favourite game is from the N64 era. Turns out that the best way to make me look past my nostalgia goggles is with a game that takes the best parts of those games from before, and turns them into something better. This game move so far away from the Zelda formula, yet stays so close at the same time... Just when you notice how little music there's in the game, you suddenly run into an octorok. You're climbing a mountain for the first time in a Zelda game, and you find a Korok halfway to the top. BOTW does an excellent job of moving the gameplay into the current age, while keeping the atmosphere unmistakably like the classic Zelda games.

It's amazing how little I've seen from the map, yet how many different kinds of environment I've already walked through, from freezing mountain tops to thick forests and from waterfalls to huge cliffs overlooking the sea. I can't wait to see what other secrets the game has in store for me.

I was starting my write up of my time so far with Breath of the Wild but then I read your post and noticed that they were basically identical.  Fantastic post Billy, I bet you don't even remember your VitaB)

I'm going to pick up a couple of other games this Friday, but I'm not sure I'll get to play them much.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I was starting my write up of my time so far with Breath of the Wild but then I read your post and noticed that they were basically identical.  Fantastic post Billy, I bet you don't even remember your VitaB)

Thanks! What Vita?

Doesn't matter if they're similar, I wouldn't mind seeing your post in your own words :)

25 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I'm going to pick up a couple of other games this Friday, but I'm not sure I'll get to play them much.

Which games are you thinking about getting?

All I have done is play Zelda, Amazing game thus far not a massive fan of the weapon system but you cant win them all.
The treasure chest system is also lacking, I loved finding hidden chests to reveal heart pieces and so on but now its just another weapon that will last 20 swings or an item to cook a meal with. It makes chests become pointless at times so instead of going to fight them pack of Goblins over there I might as well just keep walking past as all it does is break my weapon and you gain very little out of it.

Still it is an amazing game so far and the change was needed but they went to far on some of the changes I feel.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2017 at 5:02 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Thanks! What Vita?

Mine's not going anywhere, but I loved mine the moment I got it. :)

Now that I have my Switch, I'd like to add Zelda Breath of the Wild for the event. I would like to have Super Mario Odyssey as well, but with it releasing late in the year (or possibly early 2018), I wonder if it will be enough time to play through it. I'll definitely pick up some "smaller" games when the library grows; I know I'll get World of Goo, SteamWorld Dig 2, and probably some others. Games can get delayed or abandoned though, so I'll add them when they're actually in my hands. 

• Like 1

I updated the OP with everything people have said in the thread (so, mostly putting Zelda on "games played").

Personally:

Zelda

Finished two Divine Beasts now. Might push on the story a bit more and explore more afterwards since I'm much more powerful now.

Fast RMX

Played through the whole game on the slowest speed setting. Got halfway through the second speed setting.

Snipperclips

100% completed. There are 3 worlds with 15 puzzles each for two players, and 21 puzzles for four players (doable with two-three players by Switch swapping characters.

Overall, I like Snipperclips as a co-op game and I hope more content will be released at some point. Fast RMX was even better than expected, it really is the new F-Zero. I expected Zelda to be just a very good game but it's amazing and I'm calling it best game ever by now.

On 7-3-2017 at 2:35 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Now that I have my Switch, I'd like to add Zelda Breath of the Wild for the event. I would like to have Super Mario Odyssey as well, but with it releasing late in the year (or possibly early 2018), I wonder if it will be enough time to play through it. I'll definitely pick up some "smaller" games when the library grows; I know I'll get World of Goo, SteamWorld Dig 2, and probably some others. Games can get delayed or abandoned though, so I'll add them when they're actually in my hands. 

Added, welcome to the event!

I don't think Odyssey will be delayed, I think it's all but ready and they're keeping it for the holiday season and to not have to go against Zelda.

Here's hoping a lot of fun games will be released in the next few months, I'm hoping on at least one must-buy before Kart is released.

Edited by BillyHorrible