Switch It Up! (event for Nintendo Switch gamers)

I am glad I stumbled across this thread, I have never owned a Nintendo console and was not particularly interested in the Switch. Having heard some great things about Zelda and general positive reviews of the console all around I am slowly coming around. Need a few more days to convince myself but definitely leaning towards a weekend acquisition. 

44 minutes ago, cjshaitan said:

I am glad I stumbled across this thread, I have never owned a Nintendo console and was not particularly interested in the Switch. Having heard some great things about Zelda and general positive reviews of the console all around I am slowly coming around. Need a few more days to convince myself but definitely leaning towards a weekend acquisition. 

Join usssssss.....

:)

Getting one now depends on how much you want the few games that you can't get on other systems, and how much you want gaming on the go. In my opinion, Zelda is definitely a console seller while there are other great exclusive games as well (that's just having played Fast RMX and Snipperclips).

• Like 2

So went in and picked one up this morning (before I have time to change my mind :P ).  Just downloading Zelda now and looking forward to starting. Must say I quite like the size of the screen, going to take a little bit to get use to those controllers. Did pick up a pro controller so will probably stick with that at home. 

No idea what other games I will get over the course of this year, which is kinda exciting. The Fast RMX racing game looks good. Look forward to reading some peoples thoughts and going from there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cjshaitan said:

So went in and picked one up this morning (before I have time to change my mind :P ).  Just downloading Zelda now and looking forward to starting. Must say I quite like the size of the screen, going to take a little bit to get use to those controllers. Did pick up a pro controller so will probably stick with that at home. 

No idea what other games I will get over the course of this year, which is kinda exciting. The Fast RMX racing game looks good. Look forward to reading some peoples thoughts and going from there. 

Congrats, and added you to the OP! Downloading Zelda? If you plan on downloading a lot, do you already have a microSD card? Personally I've bought a 128GB one so I'm done right away, seems a bit excessive now that I have the Switch with only Fast RMX and Snipperclips downloaded but I'll be happy with it in a couple of years, I'm guessing.

2 hours ago, fisty123 said:

Just purchased VOEZ which I planned on doing at launch but Zelda took over. I have also started Super Bomberman R but has yet to play enough to give it a comment

Updated you in the OP.

17 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Congrats, and added you to the OP! Downloading Zelda? If you plan on downloading a lot, do you already have a microSD card? Personally I've bought a 128GB one so I'm done right away, seems a bit excessive now that I have the Switch with only Fast RMX and Snipperclips downloaded but I'll be happy with it in a couple of years, I'm guessing.

Updated you in the OP.

Thanks man, didn't plan on downloading it but the shop had sold out. We look into the micro SD for sure as the whole space is basically taken with Zelda. Does it matter which brand I see the Samsung evo 128gb seems a decent price ..... so much better than the Vita sims 

1 minute ago, cjshaitan said:

Thanks man, didn't plan on downloading it but the shop had sold out. We look into the micro SD for sure as the whole space is basically taken with Zelda. Does it matter which brand I see the Samsung evo 128gb seems a decent price ..... so much better than the Vita sims 

I bought one from SanDisk, never had problems with their SD cards I bought for my camera. Also it was reasonably priced, at €50 it was the cheapest SanDisk microSD while looking at price per GB. At the same store I see now that Samsung one for just €1 more (take note what the writing speed is though, Samsung has several speeds).

The one from SanDisk which I have is speed class 10, 30 MB/s writing and 80 MB/s reading. The ones Nintendo has Hori produce is speed class 10, 15 MB/s writing and 80 MB/s reading. Personally I figured that as long as I at least matched the official Nintendo cards in specs, I would be fine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cjshaitan said:

P.S. I thought Fast RMX was a blast. It looks and feels like a current day F-Zero (with added gameplay mechanic of switching between two colors for boosts/jumps). Played through the whole game on the slowest difficulty, am halfway through the second but I don't know how long I'll keep up with it if I don't get good enough to maintain first place (I'll probably play more once Zelda is done though). The game really is tough from the start, the only difference in difficulty is how fast you're going, so you've seen the whole game if you've done the slowest difficulty and all that's left is bragging rights in higher speeds and Hero mode (single track, finish first, boost is linked to your shields like in F-Zero (G)X).

I will keep recommending Snipperclips to people who have others to play with, even if no new content is released. there are 45 two player levels divided in 3 worlds, and there are 21 four player levels. The two player levels can technically be done solo and the four player levels can be done with two to three players but I'd advise not doing anything solo.

I'm looking forward to these Switch titles the most:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Super Mario Odyssey

Yooka-Laylee (to the point of preferring the Switch version over the PS4 trophy version - might get the PS4 version as well but I will trade it on afterwards and I will keep the Switch version)

Runner3

I am looking forward to these titles as well, whether or not I will buy them immediately depends on peer reviews and pricing:

Snake Pass

Sonic Mania

Redout (excited less now that Fast RMX has turned out great, Redout can only be disappointing now, with less tracks and locations but a higher price)

RiME

Hollow Knight

These are games that have not been announced officially but I'm excited for them anyway:

Smash Bros Switch title

Mario Party Switch title

Retro Studios, whatever they've been working on for the last three years

So, I finished the main story of Zelda yesterday...

What an awesome game, definitely best game ever in my eyes and I'll keep on exploring in it for a while, doing shrines and side quests and stuff. I have a feeling I've still missed a lot...

Yesterday I did everything needed for the final Beast (at the volcano), even the last one managed to surprise me by how it worked. I hope they add more big dungeons in the next Zelda, I loved these four big dungeons, much less repetitive than those in other games and it was very cool that you had to manipulate the beasts to complete the dungeons.

So because I have now played through all three of my Switch games (and 100% completed the puzzle game, I'll allow myself to buy a new game. One of these days I'm going to buy either Blaster Master Zero or Shovel Knight (oh yeah, haven't mentioned it here but I really want those two games now), not both at the same time though and likely not until monday at the least.

At first I wanted to do a bigger update here and in the Zelda thread with pictures but I don't want you guys spoiling yourselves. I'm going to do the pictures in Falion's event if you really want to see them but beware, I am adding spoilers of the final boss, side quests, characters and creatures.

• Like 1

So, I just decided to get the complete package of Shovel Knight :)

Decided that since they're such good sport with all the free DLC being released that they now need to up the base price, I'm not going to be a dick and wait on a sale.

I also bought the Shovel Knight amiibo B)

Adding it as my fourth game here...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

So, I just decided to get the complete package of Shovel Knight :)

Decided that since they're such good sport with all the free DLC being released that they now need to up the base price, I'm not going to be a dick and wait on a sale.

I also bought the Shovel Knight amiibo B)

Adding it as my fourth game here...

I have the base game on PS4 but I think I'm going to get Treasure Trove for the Switch.  Let us know what you think.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I have the base game on PS4 but I think I'm going to get Treasure Trove for the Switch.  Let us know what you think.

Will do, I'll be playing a bit tonight.

P.S. the base game on PS4 includes all DLC, you know that right?

The actual base game will become a separate download at a later point but what can be bought now includes all DLC :)

Edited by BillyHorrible

4 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Will do, I'll be playing a bit tonight.

P.S. the base game on PS4 includes all DLC, you know that right?

The actual base game will become a separate download at a later point but what can be bought now includes all DLC :)

Played the first level, explored the village and the pond and then called it a day, I still have to be awake for work so I'll game some more when I get home.

Really cool game, though because of the graphics I probably would not have liked it on the PS4. Glad I can just play in handheld mode on the Switch, now I can really appreciate the game.

It feels really right to play this on a Nintendo console. I know the NES did not have parallax scrolling but still. I often don't like these current day 8-bit graphics games, I think it's often a cheap trick for some easy nostalgia, but I can see and appreciate the effort that went into Shovel Knight.

Will gladly play more of this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

Played the first level, explored the village and the pond and then called it a day, I still have to be awake for work so I'll game some more when I get home.

Really cool game, though because of the graphics I probably would not have liked it on the PS4. Glad I can just play in handheld mode on the Switch, now I can really appreciate the game.

It feels really right to play this on a Nintendo console. I know the NES did not have parallax scrolling but still. I often don't like these current day 8-bit graphics games, I think it's often a cheap trick for some easy nostalgia, but I can see and appreciate the effort that went into Shovel Knight.

Will gladly play more of this.

I honestly didn't know the base game got updated with the DLC.  I've played a bit of it but not enough.  I am going to get it for Switch to play while listening to baseball games.  I think the Switch is the right fit.  Meanwhile, I just finished my second "dungeon" in Breath of the Wild, it was 

Spoiler

Divine Beast Vah Naboris

It took me a while to figure that one out and the boss almost killed me.  I think I'm getting close to 65 hours in and I'm not too sure I'll get the 100% like I was hoping.  Too much to play right now.  I did end up grabbing Blaster Master Zero and Metal Slug 3.  I like both games as an alternate to Zelda although Metal Slug 3 is pretty tough.

11 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

I honestly didn't know the base game got updated with the DLC.  I've played a bit of it but not enough.  I am going to get it for Switch to play while listening to baseball games.  I think the Switch is the right fit.  Meanwhile, I just finished my second "dungeon" in Breath of the Wild, it was 

Hide contents

Divine Beast Vah Naboris

It took me a while to figure that one out and the boss almost killed me.  I think I'm getting close to 65 hours in and I'm not too sure I'll get the 100% like I was hoping.  Too much to play right now.  I did end up grabbing Blaster Master Zero and Metal Slug 3.  I like both games as an alternate to Zelda although Metal Slug 3 is pretty tough.

Yeah, I had to google which Beast that was, I can't seem to keep track of which is which :) Let's just say the Gerudo one. As far as coolness of dungeons goes, I'd rate them best to least best: Goron - Rito - Gerudo - Zora. Only talking about the dungeon itself, not the Beasts or the quests around it.

I'll add the two games to your list. I'll get Blaster Master Zero myself at some point but I already have bought and played the Metal Slug Anthology on PS4 recently so I'm going to skip that one.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Yesterday I mainly worked some more on Witcher III, it's great that I can use the Switch as a handheld because I could do two levels in Shovel Knight before going to sleep.

Did the first two boss levels that were open after the village, King Knight and Specter Knight (I'm going to assume that everyone knows the basic idea of this game already - Enchantress is the big bad, and The Order Of No Quarter are eight knights who you'll have to go up against Mega Man style, a boss at the end of each big level). I only died on King Knight because I entered with barely any health left (stupid griffin) but Specter Knight took me two tries to figure out, he was easy once I had him pegged but he has a very aggressive attack. Should be cool playing him in the new campaign later on.

I was almost tempted to buy Blaster Master Zero but in the end I told myself that I could get it once I was done with Shovel Knight. I don't need another big backlog just yet, I'll just buy one game at a time for the Switch and I'll only get more than one if it's two different experiences I can play next to each other (like adventuring in Zelda and racing in Fast RMX) or if it's a game I'm only going to play in co-op so I can still play something else sole (like Snipperclips next to Zelda and Fast RMX). Shovel Knight and Blaster Master Zero are both solo experiences so I don't need them both together.

• Like 1

They made a Blaster Master game? I remember that game from the NES days! ^_^

Anyways, I've resubbed to Gamefly but will only be on the one-game-a-rent plan (don't need to pay for two games I am not going to play all the time) and rented Breath of the Wild as my first game on my new Q since for some reason every store I visit has sold every copy of the Wii U version of that game. :(

EDIT: My local Gamestop finally got a Wii U copy of Breath of the Wild and ended up spending the rest of the day exploring Hyrule. While it's not a Switch game, I really don't see the difference - Breath of the Wild is great and addictive; I couldn't stop playing! I Game Overed a few times(once because I thought I could make a fall and didn't and two times because those damn blue bokoblins one-shotted Link, I didn't realize how dangerous they were!) but had a ton of fun exploring Hyrule, collecting stuff and finally reached Dueling Peaks stables. :)

Edited by NebbyLunala

I played some more Shovel Knight yesterday. Got through the Plague Knight level, two wandering bosses and a wandering treasure.

Plague Knight took me two deaths to fully figure out how to beat as well, long story short: I've started using the chalices and the phasing ring for stuff now :)

100%'d Fast RMX's main mode on all difficulties, hero mode I'll have a crack at some time.

Clocked Metal Slug 3 a few times now.

Nearly done with Shovel Knight: Spectre of Torment.

Beaten the main mode of King of Fighters 98 a few times too, English and Japanese.

Most of the way through Blaster Master Zero too.

Where's my prize?

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
Forgot about Blaster Master, knew there was another game
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

100%'d Fast RMX's main mode on all difficulties, hero mode I'll have a crack at some time.

Clocked Metal Slug 3 a few times now.

Nearly done with Shovel Knight: Spectre of Torment.

Beaten the main mode of King of Fighters 98 a few times too, English and Japanese.

Most of the way through Blaster Master Zero too.

Where's my prize?

Nice going, and welcome to the event :)

Your prize is that you've been added to the main post and that you're still an Early Bird :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2017 at 1:25 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

King of Fighters '98 is a really good fighting game, my favorite in the series, and with the glorious power of the Switch, I can finally do this to the game

17457281_730796067078742_434749721576760 

I'm mature.

It would be so cool if you started using imgur instead of those temporary pictures... I forgot what you posted.

3 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Hey Billy, just picked up Alpha Mission II and Neo Turf Masters.  I guess add those to my switch backlog.  

BTW, both are really great but really tough.  I guess that's a trend with these neo geo games huh?

Happened to notice my name when skimming my content list but feel free to @ me if you want me to notice something :)

I'll add the games next sometime next week, feel free to yell if it's taking too long.

I don't have any of the Neo Geo games but to the best of my knowledge, the devs that port those really put in the work.

Personally I haven't made any more progress on Shovel Knight by the way, I've gone back to do more stuff in Zelda and I'm concentrating on the Assassin's Creed games right now.

55 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

It would be so cool if you started using imgur instead of those temporary pictures... I forgot what you posted.

I don't have any of the Neo Geo games but to the best of my knowledge, the devs that port those really put in the work.

Personally I haven't made any more progress on Shovel Knight by the way, I've gone back to do more stuff in Zelda and I'm concentrating on the Assassin's Creed games right now.

It's just a hassle for me. I'll upload from like PSN or the Switch, or even the Xbox on occasion, and they all usually just dump it on Facebook (or fucking One Drive, if you're Xbox) and from there I can just link it. But the thing is, I'm not gonna bother to leave it on my wall forever, even if it is hidden from everyone, so I delete it after a while. As for when they're taken from messages in Facey, I don't know why they die so quickly. It's kind of annoying but I suppose it's not the main intention of their service to provide. Anyway, do I need an account on imgur or what? Because I can use Post Image and whatnot without an account, I just generally don't have much use for the photos after a day or two anyways. Would be cool if I could upload photos into PSNP directly but whatever. Which is the other thing by the way, the main hassle is doing stuff from my phone, if I want something off my phone, I will just send it through Facey and download it on my computer, unless it's something I don't want to be compressed beyond recognition.

They are fucking great ports from the few I've played. I've played Metal Slug 3 through a fair few times now, a couple hours of King of Fighers 98, and I'll be jumping into a few more soon in all likelihood. I don't like paying 9.10 for old ass games, but since it's about all the Switch has, and since I'm using "money" from survey sites anyway, I don't really mind.

I've been doing new game plus on Spectre of Torment and it's a LOT harder. Like, you'll manage, but you'll die a lot more.

Also, Mario Kart 8 is dropping at Target here for just under 20 less than the average retail elsewhere, so I'll be getting into that game yet again, played it the other day on Wii U and it's already a beautiful game, so the Switch version should be stunning.

I think they need to get Dragon Quest IX on the Switch, it would make a lot of money from the fans. They put a remake of DQVII and DQVIII on the 3DS and they did well. Think how much money this game would make on the Switch with HD graphics. ^_^

Edited by NebbyLunala