Switch It Up! (event for Nintendo Switch gamers)

Decided to do a level of Shovel Knight before continuing on Uncharted. Defeated Mole Knight, cool level. Got Mole Knight on my first try. I was almost dead (he had four or five health circles left) when I realised that boss fights was why I had filled two chalises with red potion. Drank one, crushed him.

• Like 1

P.S. did Treasure Knight and Polar Knight as well :)

Meaning I now have Propellor Knight and Tinker Knight to go and then it's on to Enchantress!

Really enjoying the game. The levels are all really unique and they're easing you in with getting you familiar with what's new in each level, there's a good learning curve.

I don't know if I'll do Plague Knight right away afterwards as it's just an alt skin for the regular game, I feel more like playing Specter Knight who has a new campaign. Let's not get ahead of things though, after beating the Shovel Knight I might just feel like buying a new game. And let's not forget that Mario Kart releases two weeks from now!

Did Propellor Knight and then Tinker Knight. Really had a laugh at Tinker Knight, very funny boss fight!

Have to say I am really glad I gave Shovel Knight a chance even though I'm normally not into 8-bit stuff.

@angelgrievous, @Super-Fly Spider-Guy, how are you both finding Blaster Master Zero? After I finish Shovel Knight, BMZ is probably my next buy.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

how are you finding Blaster Master Zero?

I played a good couple hours of it but ended up switching to Shovel Knight. I don't think either is better than the other, they are both fun games, but I think Shovel Knight is a bit more fast and furious, whereas Blaster Master is a little more explorative. They're both really fun though and I intend to finish up Blaster Master when my course starts up again in a couple days. I'd get it if you're thinking about it, if it's priced reasonably. I paid 13 for it, but at the time it was about all that was available without Zelda in the title and I buy my games with money from survey sites most of the time. I have 60 sitting in my email right now ready for Target when they drop Mario Kart at 62 (RRP of 80) in a couple weeks too. 

This episode of "How Dylan Justifies Buying So Many Games" was brought to you by cheating in online surveys, because if I can spend 5 minutes spamming the tab and left arrow key in class and make twenty bucks, why wouldn't I?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I played a good couple hours of it but ended up Switch-ing to Shovel Knight. I don't think either is better than the other, they are both fun games, but I think Shovel Knight is a bit more fast and furious, whereas Blaster Master is a little more explorative. They're both really fun though and I intend to finish up Blaster Master when my course starts up again in a couple days. I'd get it if you're thinking about it, if it's priced reasonably. I paid 13 for it, but at the time it was about all that was available without Zelda in the title and I buy my games with money from survey sites most of the time. I have 60 sitting in my email right now ready for Target when they drop Mario Kart at 62 (RRP of 80) in a couple weeks too. 

This episode of "How Dylan Justifies Buying So Many Games" was brought to you by cheating in online surveys, because if I can spend 5 minutes spamming the tab and left arrow key in class and make twenty bucks, why wouldn't I?

Fixed :D

Also, good to know. It's €10 over here I think, for reference I paid €25 for the full Shovel Knight, all Tomorrow Corporation games cost €10 as well.

Personally I can afford a lot of games because I buy a lot on disc and trade them on afterwards, I keep only a bare few games lying around. This is a conscious choice after my X360 collection was large enough to fill a whole cupboard - played, unplayed, half played... I probably will keep most of the cartridges I buy for the Switch though.

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

Fixed :D

Also, good to know. It's €10 over here I think, for reference I paid €25 for the full Shovel Knight, all Tomorrow Corporation games cost €10 as well.

Personally I can afford a lot of games because I buy a lot on disc and trade them on afterwards, I keep only a bare few games lying around. This is a conscious choice after my X360 collection was large enough to fill a whole cupboard - played, unplayed, half played... I probably will keep most of the cartridges I buy for the Switch though.

I tried not to make the joke, but I still put the word in there.

That seems pretty fair, all things considered.

I feel that. I had literally hundreds of suckers I got for a couple of bucks and the quality was far lower than the quantity. I have since reduced the number drastically, probably only have 20 odd physical PS3 games at the moment, around a hundred or so PS4 discs, and a hand full of Xbox titles, but most of my stuff on all of the machines is digital, so trading generally isn't something I do too much anymore. I did trade in a shit load of crappy old cheapass games I picked up for easy platinums over the years, sadly most of them never got played since after I got the flag I lost interest, but I made money overall and threw it at a PS4 Pro when my launch PS4 shit itself the other day. Spewin' too because normally I don't rush into shit like that so quick but the one time I did I got no bundled games or anything and now, a week and a half or so later, Horizon and the new Tom Clancy game are bundled in for no extra. I have no interest in either, but given their recent release status, I could have resold them easy and made a cool hundred or so, given that Horizon hasn't dropped below 80 here, 50 for a sealed copy is a pretty good deal.

I forgot to mention, I finished up Spectre of Torment ages ago and am pretty well done with the new game plus as well.

I started up Blaster Master again before and will probably clock that soon too.

I'll be getting Mario Kart day one and will mostly be playing for fun in split screen, I'll probably just do what I usually do with these kinds of games though and just get gold on all the GPs and play for fun, don't know if that counts as beating the game for this thing.

Next up would be Shakedown Hawaii and you can bet your sweet ass I'll be getting that.

Somewhere in the middle I'll be picking up Overtop (Neogeo) when it comes out, and maybe Graceful Explosion Machine or something too if I get bored in class.

Okay, I think i've let this OP slip for long enough. Going to update everyone with what they said in the thread here, so feel free to correct me if it's still wrong now.

@angelgrievous added the two games you bought. Got anything I can move to played through?

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy moved Specter Of Torment to played through, added Mario Kart.

@cjshaitan, @fisty123, @MosesRockefeller, @SnowxSakura, @Zanreo any updates? Games played through, games started, games purchased?

For me:

I completed the campaign of Shovel Knight, great game.

I played a little bit of Plague Of Shadows but I didn't really like the controls, going to remove it from my list for now as it's just a resking of the Shovel Knight campaign. Going to play it at some point, sure, but not right now or even soon.

Played the first level and the area afterwards of Specter Of Torment, awesome campaign, definitely continuing on it.

Played some more of Blaster Master Zero. I'm not really a huge fan but I don't really dislike it either, it's kind of mediocre for me. Question for others who have played it: I'm in the second area now (Residential) and I obtained some form of weapon that's supposed to cut through rocks but I can't seem to fire it at those orange rocks that block shortcuts. What am I doing wrong? also, can the tank crouch or something or is the only way to deal with the caterpillars to use the lightning weapon?

Really excited for Mario Kart, it's the first must-have title for me since the Zelda, Snipperclips and Fast RMX launch games. Going to play a lot of it, both single player and whole days of multiplayer fun with others.

P.S. Eventually I started doing Shovel Knight in docked mode and it became a lot easier to play, I started with Blaster Master Zero in docked mode but played it in handheld mode today and I find it much more enjoyable. Go figure.

Edited by BillyHorrible

On 4/15/2017 at 8:12 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I tried not to make the joke, but I still put the word in there.

Come on man, you're a dad like me! It's out duty to humanity to make horrible dad jokes whenever and wherever we can! Right? 

On 4/15/2017 at 8:12 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I feel that. I had literally hundreds of suckers I got for a couple of bucks and the quality was far lower than the quantity. I have since reduced the number drastically, probably only have 20 odd physical PS3 games at the moment, around a hundred or so PS4 discs, and a hand full of Xbox titles, but most of my stuff on all of the machines is digital, so trading generally isn't something I do too much anymore. I did trade in a shit load of crappy old cheapass games I picked up for easy platinums over the years, sadly most of them never got played since after I got the flag I lost interest, but I made money overall and threw it at a PS4 Pro when my launch PS4 shit itself the other day. Spewin' too because normally I don't rush into shit like that so quick but the one time I did I got no bundled games or anything and now, a week and a half or so later, Horizon and the new Tom Clancy game are bundled in for no extra. I have no interest in either, but given their recent release status, I could have resold them easy and made a cool hundred or so, given that Horizon hasn't dropped below 80 here, 50 for a sealed copy is a pretty good deal.

On the subject of backlogs, with the second baby on the way in a few weeks, I realize more and more that something needs to change. Looking at my shelves of 100+ games PLUS all the digital games I own on Xbox 1, PS3, PS4, Vita, 3DS, and Wii U, fills me with shame. I think I probably need to drastically cut back trophy hunting and focus on story completion for the most part. I will probably maintain a few Platinum series/genres like LEGO, Assassin's Creed, etc. But something needs to change drastically. 

On 4/15/2017 at 6:46 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Did Propellor Knight and then Tinker Knight. Really had a laugh at Tinker Knight, very funny boss fight!

Have to say I am really glad I gave Shovel Knight a chance even though I'm normally not into 8-bit stuff.

Thank you again for talking me into giving Shovel Knight another chance. I mentioned it in other threads, but I'm happy to admit I was wrong about it. Playing the game "properly" the first time with relics and upgrades makes a huge difference. I will say that the Plague Knight and Polar Knight levels are pretty damn frustrating, and I still have the last few bosses to fight so it's possible I'll run into even more annoying levels later on. But the game is really good and I'm glad I'm giving it another chance. Interestingly enough, I find that it's a perfect fit for Vita and I think I'd enjoy playing it on Switch in Handheld Mode. But... as my comment above states, I need to cut down my backlog, so I need to avoid repurchasing games going forward. 

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

@cjshaitan, @fisty123, @MosesRockefeller, @SnowxSakura, @Zanreo any updates? Games played through, games started, games purchased?

I have really only played Zelda. I am not getting sucked in by Blaster Master Zero, my only other game, but I haven't really given it another chance either. I have gotten to the point in Zelda where I can finish the story, but I am a little indecisive. 

Spoiler

I have the Master Sword and I have upgraded my armor, I have 1 or 2 hearts on the second row and decent quantities of healing power, and I have done all 4 Divine Beasts. I am trying to decide whether to go for the Ganon boss battle now or do some more side stuff first. I still have 10 or so memories to find, but I am starting to lose motivation a little. The story was always driving me on to do things and keep upgrading Link, and if I go for the end now I may lose the motivation to keep exploring. But if I drag out the exploration too long, I won't be motivated to fight Ganon. Choices, choices. I really, really enjoy the Shrines but I feel too stupid to do the Shrine Quests without using a guide, and I really don't want to just whip out a guide and get 100% completion just because. I have warped to all of the towers and visited every Shrine I've been able to spot, so I think the only way I'll find more is to comb the map slowly, which I'm not really motivated to do. I do have 2 or 3 discovered Shrines that I haven't completed, but they are all "Major Tests of Strength" and I'm not that interested in going through multiple weapons and healing items to finish them at the moment (I guess I could always use an Ancient Arrow but those things are precious! 

All this might sound like I have gotten bored of the game, and maybe I have a bit, but I still think it's a fantastic game and it's easily worth full retail price. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Wow, are you playing only a little on your Switch or just exploring a lot?

I know that's a face, but I find it amusing to translate it as "0.0 points". :P

As for my next game, it will probably be Mario Kart unless there are some cool new digital downloads, or Nintendo really shocks me with a stealth Virtual Console release. :)

27 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Come on man, you're a dad like me! It's out duty to humanity to make horrible dad jokes whenever and wherever we can! Right? 

I take offense to that, I don't have children but I should be allowed to make bad jokes as well. You families with children try to put a monopoly on everything...

On 15-4-2017 at 2:12 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

On the subject of backlogs, with the second baby on the way in a few weeks, I realize more and more that something needs to change. Looking at my shelves of 100+ games PLUS all the digital games I own on Xbox 1, PS3, PS4, Vita, 3DS, and Wii U, fills me with shame. I think I probably need to drastically cut back trophy hunting and focus on story completion for the most part. I will probably maintain a few Platinum series/genres like LEGO, Assassin's Creed, etc. But something needs to change drastically. 

I've taken a good look at my backlog again and boy do I still have a long way to go... I really don't want to buy new games in the next few months except for Mario Kart, Yooka-Laylee, some virtual console stuff and whatever I'm going to do with those final €2 from my PSN refund. I've got more than enough to play and I shouldn't buy more games until I play what I have.

Thank you again for talking me into giving Shovel Knight another chance. I mentioned it in other threads, but I'm happy to admit I was wrong about it. Playing the game "properly" the first time with relics and upgrades makes a huge difference. I will say that the Plague Knight and Polar Knight levels are pretty damn frustrating, and I still have the last few bosses to fight so it's possible I'll run into even more annoying levels later on. But the game is really good and I'm glad I'm giving it another chance. Interestingly enough, I find that it's a perfect fit for Vita and I think I'd enjoy playing it on Switch in Handheld Mode. But... as my comment above states, I need to cut down my backlog, so I need to avoid repurchasing games going forward. 

You're welcome, glad you're enjoying it more! Don't recall Plague Knight as it was at the start of the game but I do know that Polar Knight got considerably easier once I just started spamming him with pogo attacks, drinking red potion when I had to and just continuing with my attacks otherwise. P.S. the relic I've used the most often is undoubtedly the invincibility ring, but the fire wand and the anchor are good ranged attacks (that anchor does miracles when Propellor Knight takes to the air).

Yeah, you'll probably get frustrated with some of the final levels... The final boss can take a bit to get used to and can seem difficult even if you know what to do. It's very rewarding when you get through it, though.

And yeah, if you already have the game on the Vita and if the VIta doesn't pain your hands like it does mine then you don't really have a reason to buy the game for the Switch, unless you want to be able to play the Specter Of Torment campaign already.

I have really only played Zelda. I am not getting sucked in by Blaster Master Zero, my only other game, but I haven't really given it another chance either. I have gotten to the point in Zelda where I can finish the story, but I am a little indecisive. 

Reveal hidden contents

I have the Master Sword and I have upgraded my armor, I have 1 or 2 hearts on the second row and decent quantities of healing power, and I have done all 4 Divine Beasts. I am trying to decide whether to go for the Ganon boss battle now or do some more side stuff first. I still have 10 or so memories to find, but I am starting to lose motivation a little. The story was always driving me on to do things and keep upgrading Link, and if I go for the end now I may lose the motivation to keep exploring. But if I drag out the exploration too long, I won't be motivated to fight Ganon. Choices, choices. I really, really enjoy the Shrines but I feel too stupid to do the Shrine Quests without using a guide, and I really don't want to just whip out a guide and get 100% completion just because. I have warped to all of the towers and visited every Shrine I've been able to spot, so I think the only way I'll find more is to comb the map slowly, which I'm not really motivated to do. I do have 2 or 3 discovered Shrines that I haven't completed, but they are all "Major Tests of Strength" and I'm not that interested in going through multiple weapons and healing items to finish them at the moment (I guess I could always use an Ancient Arrow but those things are precious! 

All this might sound like I have gotten bored of the game, and maybe I have a bit, but I still think it's a fantastic game and it's easily worth full retail price. 

Blaster Master Zero: Yeah I'm not finding it a super awesome game either, What keeps me going is that by intentionally keeping my backlog on the Switch low, I only have it and Specter Knight with the story not finished so I can't ignore it as easily as if I would have bought Snake Pass and the three Tomorrow Corporation games as well. I am somewhere in area 2 now and I do find the game more enjoyable, but it's certainly no masterpiece (but since I'm coming from Shovel Knight and since I have recently played A Link To The Past, I may be needlessly harsh). Didn't you buy World Of Goo by the way? Have you played that already?

Zelda: I'd say finish the story before you get bored, then you can concentrate on other games and maybe do one or two shrines a week afterwards, like I am doing. I have two shrines found but not completed, I did the major tests of strength but these are puzzles I couldn't figure out and refused to look up the answer for.

26 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Haven't played it in awhile, persona 5 distracted me for a good week or two

It's the other way around for me, Zelda made me ignore all of my PS4 gaming.

25 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I know that's a face, but I find it amusing to translate it as "0.0 points". :P

Well, that still works...

25 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

As for my next game, it will probably be Mario Kart unless there are some cool new digital downloads, or Nintendo really shocks me with a stealth Virtual Console release. :)

AS said above, didn't you buy one or more Tomorrow Corporation games? If I can guess your gaming preferences a bit, there's probably nothing you'll really enjoy right now; except for Shovel Knight which you already have on the Vita, the Tomorrow Corporation games which if I recall correctly you already have, and perhaps Snake Pass but as I haven't played it myself I can't really say much about it. I don't think you'll enjoy any of the NEO GEO games that have been released already.

1 minute ago, fisty123 said:

I am about 70% through Zelda, after the hype I have come to find many things I am not a fan of the game. Still a good game but not the direction I wanted Zelda to take.

I also started Blaster Master Zero and finished Bomerman's main story

Too bad you don't like Zelda as much any more. Personally I've had it go the other way around; I didn't buy into the hype because I played all home console Zeldas and thought none after Ocarina were really super awesome so I expected a game that was just good, I even refused to start it immediately on day one and played Fast RMX for a few hours first. I really love the game now, though.

How was the remainder of Bomberman's story campaign? Did you play on your own or with someone?

I thought you also had VOEZ, did you play a lot of it already?

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

I take offense to that, I don't have children but I should be allowed to make bad jokes as well. You families with children try to put a monopoly on everything...

Ha! Actually, my friend who intends to always be child-less recently hit me with some truly impressive dad jokes, which he then blamed on working with older people. Maybe that's why I told corny jokes before I became a dad, I worked in a similar environment where I was the "baby" in the office. Anyway, I told plenty of bad jokes before becoming a father, but I think I've become worse since then. And I know you were kidding around, but I'd like to think I'm not one of "those" parents who goes around telling everyone they need to have kids. Those people pissed me off before I became a parent. I don't want to put a monopoly on anything; me always being late for everything isn't any more valid than someone being late because of non-parental reasons. Kids and being a parent are just a convenient excuse for all of my failings, that's all. :) 

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I've got more than enough to play and I shouldn't buy more games until I play what I have.

Damn, this needs to go in my signature. Great wisdom, but easier said than done! Maybe I can limit myself to buying "exclusive" collector's editions that won't be available when I'm actually ready to play said game... I know it's still new games but baby steps, right? :)

You're welcome, glad you're enjoying it more! Don't recall Plague Knight as it was at the start of the game but I do know that Polar Knight got considerably easier once I just started spamming him with pogo attacks, drinking red potion when I had to and just continuing with my attacks otherwise. P.S. the relic I've used the most often is undoubtedly the invincibility ring, but the fire wand and the anchor are good ranged attacks (that anchor does miracles when Propellor Knight takes to the air).

Yeah, you'll probably get frustrated with some of the final levels... The final boss can take a bit to get used to and can seem difficult even if you know what to do. It's very rewarding when you get through it, though.

And yeah, if you already have the game on the Vita and if the VIta doesn't pain your hands like it does mine then you don't really have a reason to buy the game for the Switch, unless you want to be able to play the Specter Of Torment campaign already.

Actually, the Plague Knight and Polar Knight levels were mostly difficult because of the platforming sections on the way to the boss, not the bosses themselves. The only reason I needed a couple of tries to beat Polar Knight was because of the spikes he exposed at the bottom killing me a few times. And yes, I do have the invincibility ring, but I find it more useful for platforming than fighting bosses. I typically just wail on the bosses with the pogo attack and use the chalices when needed (which with 9 health orbs I sometimes don't need at all). I'll have to try out the ranged weapons you mentioned, I have them but haven't used them. 

Blaster Master Zero: Yeah I'm not finding it a super awesome game either, What keeps me going is that by intentionally keeping my backlog on the Switch low, I only have it and Specter Knight with the story not finished so I can't ignore it as easily as if I would have bought Snake Pass and the three Tomorrow Corporation games as well. I am somewhere in area 2 now and I do find the game more enjoyable, but it's certainly no masterpiece (but since I'm coming from Shovel Knight and since I have recently played A Link To The Past, I may be needlessly harsh). Didn't you buy World Of Goo by the way? Have you played that already?

Zelda: I'd say finish the story before you get bored, then you can concentrate on other games and maybe do one or two shrines a week afterwards, like I am doing. I have two shrines found but not completed, I did the major tests of strength but these are puzzles I couldn't figure out and refused to look up the answer for.

AS said above, didn't you buy one or more Tomorrow Corporation games? If I can guess your gaming preferences a bit, there's probably nothing you'll really enjoy right now; except for Shovel Knight which you already have on the Vita, the Tomorrow Corporation games which if I recall correctly you already have, and perhaps Snake Pass but as I haven't played it myself I can't really say much about it. I don't think you'll enjoy any of the NEO GEO games that have been released already.

I did buy World of Goo, thanks for reminding me. So I have 3 games. For some reason I haven't gotten back to World of Goo. I should try to do 1-2 levels each day to keep my (lack of) skills up. I intend to get the other 2 games but I will wait for a sale. Snake Pass does look interesting and probably worth $20, but I'm not interested enough to grab yet another new game right now. If it goes on sale my will to resist will probably disappear. :P

Good guess on the NEO GEO games, none of them really interest me. My arcade skills (e.g. Contra) are behind me now. I wouldn't fool anybody if I claimed I could get through Metal Slug games now... or as Homer would say: 

Spoiler

116382.jpg?b64lines=IFlPVSBDT1VMRE4nVCBG

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I waited nearly 10 years for persona 5, so everything else took a backseat, I'll get around to playing it again soon

That's a long time to wait on a single game...

5 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Ha! Actually, my friend who intends to always be child-less recently hit me with some truly impressive dad jokes, which he then blamed on working with older people. Maybe that's why I told corny jokes before I became a dad, I worked in a similar environment where I was the "baby" in the office. Anyway, I told plenty of bad jokes before becoming a father, but I think I've become worse since then. And I know you were kidding around, but I'd like to think I'm not one of "those" parents who goes around telling everyone they need to have kids. Those people pissed me off before I became a parent. I don't want to put a monopoly on anything; me always being late for everything isn't any more valid than someone being late because of non-parental reasons. Kids and being a parent are just a convenient excuse for all of my failings, that's all. :) 

I just love bad jokes in general.

I always wanted to have my own bakery... But I couldn't raise the dough.

Damn, this needs to go in my signature. Great wisdom, but easier said than done! Maybe I can limit myself to buying "exclusive" collector's editions that won't be available when I'm actually ready to play said game... I know it's still new games but baby steps, right? :)

Feel free to use it, as long as you mention the source :)

Actually, the Plague Knight and Polar Knight levels were mostly difficult because of the platforming sections on the way to the boss, not the bosses themselves. The only reason I needed a couple of tries to beat Polar Knight was because of the spikes he exposed at the bottom killing me a few times. And yes, I do have the invincibility ring, but I find it more useful for platforming than fighting bosses. I typically just wail on the bosses with the pogo attack and use the chalices when needed (which with 9 health orbs I sometimes don't need at all). I'll have to try out the ranged weapons you mentioned, I have them but haven't used them. 

Good luck, let me know what you think of the final stages and the ending!

I did buy World of Goo, thanks for reminding me. So I have 3 games. For some reason I haven't gotten back to World of Goo. I should try to do 1-2 levels each day to keep my (lack of) skills up. I intend to get the other 2 games but I will wait for a sale. Snake Pass does look interesting and probably worth $20, but I'm not interested enough to grab yet another new game right now. If it goes on sale my will to resist will probably disappear. :P

You know my view on the World Of GOo Pricing :) I'll add it next time I do an OP update.

As for Snake Pass... There was a 20% off pre-order sale on PSN. I want to get the game on the Switch but I refuse to pay more for said version, so I'll wait on a 20% or more off sale :)

Good guess on the NEO GEO games, none of them really interest me. My arcade skills (e.g. Contra) are behind me now. I wouldn't fool anybody if I claimed I could get through Metal Slug games now... or as Homer would say: 

Reveal hidden contents

Metal Slug is actually pretty easy to get through as you can put the options on easy with unlimited continues.

3 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I just love bad jokes in general.

I always wanted to have my own bakery... But I couldn't raise the dough.

You brought this on yourself... my favorite bad joke is this little chestnut: 

"Have you ever seen Stevie Wonder's wife? No?... neither has he!"

5 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Metal Slug is actually pretty easy to get through as you can put the options on easy with unlimited continues.

Well that's cool, it's just not interesting to me. I played the Metal Slug-inspired PS+ game Mercenary Kings, and despite having some fun with my friend in co-op, it wasn't something I'll ever play again after a single 2-3 hour session. 

18 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

My arcade skills (e.g. Contra) are behind me now. I wouldn't fool anybody if I claimed I could get through Metal Slug games now... or as Homer would say: 

Reveal hidden contents

You can screw with the settings too, to make it even easier than it normally would be, which is easy already. Plus you can spam L1 (or R1, I forget which) to give yourself more quarters and unlimited lives. Metal Slug 3 is beautiful on the Switch and I'll probs pick up Metal Slug 1 too whenever I load up my Nintendo account with some more survey credit. Highly recommend, excellent port, great variety of options with screen scaling and shit, just really good. Depends on your opinion on the price though, whether it's worth it or not, I'm not saying it's worth the 9 bucks I paid, I'm just saying it's a fun ass game. No excuse not to give it a go though if it lands on sale some time. 

Also, I love your constant Simpsons referencing and I feel you'd like to know I bought a cheapo eBay smart watch for 10 bucks the other day (actually really good for the money, love the thing, despite not being a watch person) and loaded 15 seasons of Simpsons onto a memory card for it, had an old ass download from like 10 years ago of them all in 3GP format compressed up the ass. 15 seasons, 2.74gb of storage. That's just impressive.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

You can screw with the settings too, to make it even easier than it normally would be, which is easy already. Plus you can spam L1 (or R1, I forget which) to give yourself more quarters and unlimited lives. Metal Slug 3 is beautiful on the Switch and I'll probs pick up Metal Slug 1 too whenever I load up my Nintendo account with some more survey credit. Highly recommend, excellent port, great variety of options with screen scaling and shit, just really good. Depends on your opinion on the price though, whether it's worth it or not, I'm not saying it's worth the 9 bucks I paid, I'm just saying it's a fun ass game. No excuse not to give it a go though if it lands on sale some time. 

Also, I love your constant Simpsons referencing and I feel you'd like to know I bought a cheapo eBay smart watch for 10 bucks the other day (actually really good for the money, love the thing, despite not being a watch person) and loaded 15 seasons of Simpsons onto a memory card for it, had an old ass download from like 10 years ago of them all in 3GP format compressed up the ass. 15 seasons, 2.74gb of storage. That's just impressive.

Ha, I remember 3GP from my old flipphone days. Thankfully I gave up on watching videos on that thing, because it was too tiny of a screen to enjoy. I have to congratulate you on your clever use of a smart watch though. I'm not a watch person either, and don't pretend to be interested in fitness, so I feel like it would be useless to me. But I approve of this use of the device. :)

Regarding The Simpsons, I've been a fan for 16+ years, ever since my college roommates "corrupted" me with the show. When I met my future wife, who is from Thailand and only had bits and pieces of Western culture exposure, I had to convince her that The Simpsons wasn't actually a kid's show. Now she loves it almost as much as me. I need to go back and watch the newer stuff, because I haven't really watched past Season 15 or so. I know the newer stuff isn't as good but I'm easy to amuse. Most people can't stand the early stuff but I still enjoy watching the first season (although for my money, the peak of the show is S3-S8). So many good episodes. Frinkiac is amazing, I was telling my friend the other day that it failed me when I couldn't find a scene, and it turned out it was from Futurama! D'oh! 

As for Metal Slug, I have some of the games on PSN so I probably should start there if I decide to get into it. It's just not my kind of game really. 

@BillyHorrible Nothing completely played through yet.  I've been slowing chipping away at the Neo Geo games while enjoying the long run in Breath of the Wild.  I will say that they are all pretty tough.  I should make use of the unlimited continues.  I might have to pick up Wonderboy for the switch.  I've started it on PS4 and would love to play in handheld.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2017 at 11:26 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Too bad you don't like Zelda as much any more. Personally I've had it go the other way around; I didn't buy into the hype because I played all home console Zeldas and thought none after Ocarina were really super awesome so I expected a game that was just good, I even refused to start it immediately on day one and played Fast RMX for a few hours first. I really love the game now, though.

How was the remainder of Bomberman's story campaign? Did you play on your own or with someone?

I thought you also had VOEZ, did you play a lot of it already?

I played Bomberman by myself, it was a fun game but I can't see if having a lot of replay value in a single player mode.
I started VOEZ for an hour, then got called into work and never went back yet, been two weeks now. It was a great game from what I played but I keep going to something else instead.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2017 at 6:48 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Okay, I think i've let this OP slip for long enough. Going to update everyone with what they said in the thread here, so feel free to correct me if it's still wrong now.

@angelgrievous added the two games you bought. Got anything I can move to played through?

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy moved Specter Of Torment to played through, added Mario Kart.

@cjshaitan, @fisty123, @MosesRockefeller, @SnowxSakura, @Zanreo any updates? Games played through, games started, games purchased

Thanks for the call out, at this point I have had a Switch since Day 1 and played less than 1 hour which is pretty disgusting, but probably unsurprising to those that are familiar with my playing patterns. No excuses as I have been on a break from work too, just to distracted with a few PS4 games, Finding time for VR and playing XBone amongst living real life. I'm going to devout a day to Switch, probably Sunday so can't wait to actually join in the conversation