*SPOILER* Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Movie)

Gray-Fox-44

Hi there! I've just finished watching the last chapter in a rather weak series of movies, in my opinion getting worse one by one.

The first one I think it's great. In fact they should have stopped there :P The second one, well, Jill and Nemesis are there, and thus they bought me :giggle: But then... I just can't follow the ridiculous plot...

Now onto "the final chapter," so I can make myself more clear. Can anyone tell me where the hell are Jill, Leon and Ada?? I mean... WTF?? They are not even mentioned, at all :facepalm: I don't know, it just has a twist that makes the story end, but it leaves so many things behind, so many plot holes :| I hated that big blank space, I thought that THAT was the team to end the nightmare, and then they simply vanished in thin air.

As regards the action scenes I think it was ok, it didn't make me feel that the movie was too long, on the contrary, it was entertaining enough for me to stay focused. But the plot... I can't stop thinking about it... Such nonesense... I admit I didn't expect something great, but this really felt like too little too late xD

What do you guys think?

Edited by Gray-Fox-44
Spelling mistake

The whole movie series was basically just a terrible Mary Sue fanfiction so the director could have his wife (Mila Jovovich) show her ass in slow motion for two hours while the other Resident Evil characters we know and love take a back seat and look like bad cosplays save for Ada. They stopped being faithful to the games right after the one with Nemesis if not right after the first movie. Now since I could barely stomach watching any of the later ones, from the bits I saw they couldn't care less about the story or anything about Resident Evil. Plus having the idea of listening to Alice's smoker voice for two hours made me rather want to listen to the PS1 voice acting.

I sure hope it really was the final chapter and they can stop getting money to make that garbage. What makes it odd is the director made the 90's Mortal Kombat movie, which while it was cheesy as hell it was at least faithful to the source material and fun to watch. So it makes you wonder what even happened between then and Resident Evil.

Anderson himself always said he would keep making them if they made money. And sadly enough people are curious enough to keep going to see them, so he kept making them. It's really sad he was able to make so many of such a terrible film series...

But sadly... Sony's film division has a TERRIBLE reputation for cashing in on CRAP movies that bomb all the time and get lots of terrible feedback from fans of the original source material. Let's not forget the same company made this abomination:

ghostbusters-2016-625x324.png

I loved these movies. If they were not title-associated with Resident Evil, you know that at least a third of the people who love the games but dislike the movies would say "Yeah these are decent, if not pretty good." I stopped thinking of them as Resident Evil movies after the third one. Maybe if more people took on that mentality, the movies would be a little bit better received. Obviously they made money, so enough people liked them. 

Jill Valentine was never mentioned after her one and only role in the second movie, I didn't even know it was Leon in Retribution until the last few minutes of the movie, and I was kinda mad that the fight in Washington was just skipped over after being set up so awesomely. The main 2 things I didn't like about The Final Chapter were that half the film was out of focus, and that the twist on Claire's boyfriend Doc being one of the Umbrella guys was so damn obvious, I figured it out as soon as Alice mentioned that "Someone could've warned me about the trap, but didn't."

18 minutes ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

I loved these movies. If they were not title-associated with Resident Evil, you know that at least a third of the people who love the games but dislike the movies would say "Yeah these are decent, if not pretty good."

Not really. I saw the first two before ever playing the games. They are quite bad even by their own merits. Alice is a terrible Mary Sue who is unrelatable, they almost abandon the zombie plot by the third film to where zombies become a non-issue, and much of the action is over the top to levels of cheesy and dumb. They're just bad movies in general. Alice's acting is dreadful along with many of the other actors.

20 minutes ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Maybe if more people took on that mentality, the movies would be a little bit better received. Obviously they made money, so enough people liked them. 

Not true. Look at their scores on review sites. They are notoriously despised. Making money doesn't make them good. It just means they suckered enough people into the theaters and they kept budgets for the film low enough to where making a profit was easy. I mean they only spent $40 million on The Final Chapter which in 2017 isn't much for a film like this. The average box office smash movie that makes big piles costs around $150-250 million. Virtually  every super hero movie that comes out shy of a few spends around $200 million. The fact that Sony didn't want to invest more than 40 into this film tells you that they knew it wouldn't make much.

Also this movie was sold almost entirely on the recent game release hype. So much so that they delayed it to coincide with the release of the new game. A lot of newcomers to the franchise probably got that game and saw the advert for the movie and loved the game so went to see it.

43 minutes ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Jill Valentine was never mentioned after her one and only role in the second movie

She does appear 3 times in the series. First in Apocalypse with quite a lead role (although she still is a secondary character)

The 2nd appearance is after the credits in Afterlife, which gives her the "taken by umbrella" look from the RE5 game with that device on her chest. I would say that being an after-credits character gives her much attention.

And finally in Retribution she is one big villian for a great part of the movie.

This being said, I don't see how the dorector suddenly thought "well, lets take her of and recycle Claire for no reason" :facepalm:

7 hours ago, Redgrave said:

I sure hope it really was the final chapter and they can stop getting money to make that garbage

1 hour ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

Anderson himself always said he would keep making them if they made money. And sadly enough people are curious enough to keep going to see them

I didn't know he had said that. Maybe I just bought us a ticket to a RE: The Final Chapter Strikes Back movie :giggle: Hopefully I didn't :lol:

I've stopped watching them after the second movie, I'm glad I did, and I'm even more glad that this sorry excuse of the movie franchise is finally ending.

It's mere existence was causing me great soul pain, even after I applied the Law of Fan Discontinuity to games' storyline post RE4 (except of Chronicles), and wasn't as fervently hung up on games' lore.

So yeah. Good Riddance. *shudder*

17 hours ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

Not true. Look at their scores on review sites. They are notoriously despised.

Once again going back to my point of that if they were not related at all in any way to the Resident Evil games, people might think they were even slightly better movies. Gotta wonder if people even saw the movies and wrote a review, or if people like you who are outspoken about their hatred for the movies, never actually went to see any after like the second or third, but still kept writing 0% reviews or whatever, just because they don't follow the games. Sure, I don't think they're scores would jump 40%, but they'd almost certainly go up a decent amount, noticeable enough for sure.

Just for another example, I hated Silent Hill 4: The Room as a Silent Hill game, but as it's own individual game, it was great. The Silent Hill stuff felt shoehorned and forced into the game, felt like they were trying to get people to buy it based on the name alone. It was a great game, and would've loved to have it in the PS3 HD Collection, or even its PS2 version on PS4, but as a Silent Hill game it was awful. This kind of thinking is not uncommon, and surely there's a bunch of people out there who feel the same way about the RE movies.

9 minutes ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Once again going back to my point of that if they were not related at all in any way to the Resident Evil games, people might think they were even slightly better movies. Gotta wonder if people even saw the movies and wrote a review, or if people like you who are outspoken about their hatred for the movies, never actually went to see any after like the second or third, but still kept writing 0% reviews or whatever, just because they don't follow the games. Sure, I don't think they're scores would jump 40%, but they'd almost certainly go up a decent amount, noticeable enough for sure.

Just for another example, I hated Silent Hill 4: The Room as a Silent Hill game, but as it's own individual game, it was great. The Silent Hill stuff felt shoehorned and forced into the game, felt like they were trying to get people to buy it based on the name alone. It was a great game, and would've loved to have it in the PS3 HD Collection, or even its PS2 version on PS4, but as a Silent Hill game it was awful. This kind of thinking is not uncommon, and surely there's a bunch of people out there who feel the same way about the RE movies.

I do agree with this. That's the kind of feeling that I get. I'd rather they had another name after RE2, and that would have been enough. If they stopped using the franchise name and the games' characters, I think that the movies might have been better received by the public.

I actually quite enjoyed the series. They certainly had their flaws for sure, but overall I felt like I enjoyed them. The first two were the best in my opinion, and the end of Retribution set up for an epic battle which they unfortunately did not pick up on in The Final Chapter. I do agree that after the second movie zombies were a minor nuisance and barely relevant which was disappointing and largely why I liked the first two best.

I thought it was meh. Fight scenes are dope and the scare scenes are good too. However Albert was a little bitch in this movie. He didn't do anything. He cries for help then dies. LAME
Also the ending made no sense. Alice says the Anti-virus worked but theres still more of those zombie Pterodacty and shes says "My work is not done" Which is stupid becuase those things should be dead. The Anti-virus spreads by air, so what the hell!?!? Also where the fuck are the charterers from the last 2 movies? Did they die? They were not mentioned.

RE1: 3/10
RE2: 2.5/10
RE3: 2/10
RE4: 4/10
RE5: 1/10 boring 
RE6: 4.5/10

Stop making these movies 

15 hours ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

That's heavily assuming don't you think?

Leon and co. died in the White House after Wesker betrayed them. 

1 hour ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

Mad curious about something here but do people really hold the source material in such regard? the movies are terrible but they didn't have much to work with story wise.

Incorrect. There's over 50 years of in-game DEEP history for filmmakers to work with. The discovery of the Progenitor virus and subsequent race to create the T-Virus, the founding of the Arklay lab, the creation of the Umbrella Corps., etc. There is a LOT to work with. You just have to look beneath the batshit insane upper layers.

38 minutes ago, AnimeDreama said:

Leon and co. died in the White House after Wesker betrayed them. 

Incorrect. There's over 50 years of in-game DEEP history for filmmakers to work with. The discovery of the Progenitor virus and subsequent race to create the T-Virus, the founding of the Arklay lab, the creation of the Umbrella Corps., etc. There is a LOT to work with. You just have to look beneath the batshit insane upper layers.

Deep history doesn't constitute good writing. RE story wise was always ''good kind of bad''. Also a lot of said history doesn't really have much impact if you're not familiar with the games themselves and the basic stories.

16 hours ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Once again going back to my point of that if they were not related at all in any way to the Resident Evil games, people might think they were even slightly better movies.

I've never, ever, played a RE game. I still think the first movie was good, after that, it's just crap after crap. The movies on its own are garbage, the fact that they are based on a video game make no difference.

3 hours ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

That's heavily assuming don't you think?

Not really when its something that's not that hard to believe. There are people out there who love the RE games and absolutely DESPISE the movies simply because they didn't follow the story of the games, which to be fair were all over the place. They voice their opinion every single chance they get, so its not hard to imagine they made reviews on places like RottenTomatoes or MetaCritic just to get their say in even more. Those kind of reviews happen every now and then, just like companies that put up reviews of themselves via fake accounts just to improve their rating

11 hours ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Not really when its something that's not that hard to believe. There are people out there who love the RE games and absolutely DESPISE the movies simply because they didn't follow the story of the games, which to be fair were all over the place.

It's even harder to believe if they hadn't played the games they would suddenly love a mary sue main character. Sorry I saw the movies BEFORE I played the games and I still hated them. They're terrible movies on their own merits. Alice's acting is dreadfully bad, her character is a boring mary sue, and the plot is rapidly changing, not staying consistent for even 10 seconds it seems. 

11 hours ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

They voice their opinion every single chance they get, so its not hard to imagine they made reviews on places like RottenTomatoes or MetaCritic just to get their say in even more. Those kind of reviews happen every now and then, just like companies that put up reviews of themselves via fake accounts just to improve their rating

Come on man, to believe that would have a large effect on all the films is basically living in denial. "Something I like gets bad scores? MUST be because people who haven't even seen it are putting negative reviews on it". That's almost conspiracy level shit. Sorry man, but you have no hard evidence to back up that even happens or that it has any significant effects. Not to mention those reviews would NOT affect critic reviews which are also almost always low.

If you read my post before, I said it wouldn't significantly affect the scores, maybe only a few percentage points as a noticeable amount, but nothing like 40%. And if you knew anything about corporate business, you'd know that companies having employees creating overly positive reviews or creating fake accounts to create overly positive reviews happens a lot more often than you'd think. Who's to say that people creating overly negative reviews even if they hadn't seen the movies is too far fetched? Again, would it affect the scores drastically? No, absolutely not. Would it increase the scores a little bit if the RE movies were not using the RE universe and were their own entities? Most likely. 

The other thing about Jill Valentine, Leon and the other characters that were survivors at the end of Retribution when they're at the White House, is that at the beginning of The Final Chapter, everything has been destroyed, and its revealed that the whole thing was a trap to get everyone killed, but Alice survived. I guess that was their lame way of saying all those beloved characters at the end of Retribution are just dead.

23 hours ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

There are people out there who love the RE games and absolutely DESPISE the movies simply because they didn't follow the story of the games, which to be fair were all over the place.

Hey, that's me! Almost. Not exactly.

I love RE (as it was pretty much the first gaming franchise I ever had contact with as a kid) and I played pretty much all of the main games, but I'm not so keen on the movies to say the least. That's not to say I despise them, though. I think they're fairly good, over-the-top action movies (the slow motion spam bothers me a bit, to be fair), and I value them as such. The problem is that I also think they're essentially using the Resident Evil IP as a canvas to sell an action movie which, apart from the characters (except Alice, obviously) and the loosely based settings of the first 2 movies, doesn't really have anything to do with what the franchise is about, Survival Horror.

Now, one can argue that after RE4, and (specially) RE5, the franchise "lost it's soul" and become an over-the-top, QTE-ridden, boulder-punching action game that also used RE's name as a way to sell more copies, I'll give you that, but those games were the minority on a collection of titles that embraced the roots of what made RE awesome for a lot of gamers, and it makes sense that the RE movies would actually be as close as the source material as possible, but what we have now is a series of action setpieces that, albeit debatably entertaining, don't really represent what we love about RE, and actually end up alienating people that don't play the game, but actually watch the films, they get motivated to play some RE thinking it's some kind of action game with slow-mo sequences with zombies, and then they got dissapointed because of the difference between the games and the films.

In the end, I'll reserve my final opinions of the RE films as a whole when I watch the last one. But I sincerely hope they pull a RE7 and reboot the films, if Sony is ever interested in using the RE IP once again. Although given their film history recently, I'm not sure it'll be a good idea.