What was the Point in this Game?

39 minutes ago, Mar said:

Right because lets be a smartass and also ignore the fact that this happened (and for not so bright people) - v

I made myself pretty clear. So.. you cant take the time to understand or accept a different vision with an installment in a franchise? Since when was it law that every single R&C game had to be linear, single player experiences? Why cant one experiement with non-sp focus ideas? In short, it should be judged for what it tries to do, not for failing to meet your expectations by not being a traditional R&C game.

Because why waste a good franchise that has consistently put out fantastic games on a garbage co-op experience? Make a new IP, don't drag a beloved one through the dirt.

Tomb Raider used to be my favourite franchise. It was a series with a light-hearted tone, amazing controls, engaging exploration and fantastic platforming. Then Legend came and it dumbed down the platforming and exploration, and that was okay. It was still Tomb Raider at heart.

But with TR2013, they ruined Tomb Raider imo. It became grimdark, Lara became whiny and weak, and the platforming? lol, there wasn't any tbh. It became a third person shooter.

It could've been a great game had they made it a new IP, but no, they slapped the Tomb Raider branding on it and that really harmed both the game and the brand.

In the case of Ratchet & Clank, they nailed the tone, and the gameplay was more faithful than TR2013 was, but at the same time... It just didn't feel like a Ratchet & Clank game, and that brings the game down because it is supposed to be a Ratchet & Clank game. Had it been a new IP, it wouldn't have had to live up to the previous R&C games and thus may have been regarded more fondly.

44 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Because why waste a good franchise that has consistently put out fantastic games on a garbage co-op experience? Make a new IP, don't drag a beloved one through the dirt.

Tomb Raider used to be my favourite franchise. It was a series with a light-hearted tone, amazing controls, engaging exploration and fantastic platforming. Then Legend came and it dumbed down the platforming and exploration, and that was okay. It was still Tomb Raider at heart.

But with TR2013, they ruined Tomb Raider imo. It became grimdark, Lara became whiny and weak, and the platforming? lol, there wasn't any tbh. It became a third person shooter.

It could've been a great game had they made it a new IP, but no, they slapped the Tomb Raider branding on it and that really harmed both the game and the brand.

In the case of Ratchet & Clank, they nailed the tone, and the gameplay was more faithful than TR2013 was, but at the same time... It just didn't feel like a Ratchet & Clank game, and that brings the game down because it is supposed to be a Ratchet & Clank game. Had it been a new IP, it wouldn't have had to live up to the previous R&C games and thus may have been regarded more fondly.

Void. All franchises shouldn't have to use the same formula over and over until its finished or until an entirely new IP is made. You know how ridiculous that sounds? (The new IP point is even more crazy as its nowhere near as simple as you made it sound, otherwise devs would do that more often than experiement with established ips.) R&C FFA is 1. not a sequel, 2. not a mainline game 3. not titled R&C5/6/7/8/etc, thus ultimately your point is pretty out of place. Its a spinoff BEING A SPINOFF (again, judge a game for what its trying to be). And it sure as hell is a generally nice break from the traditional games that offer the same one-sided genre theme.

JaD TLF is a more traditional-like sequel to Jak that does mostly a disservice to the mainline games. R&CFFA at least a natural spinoff that executes its focused on components well. Fun is also a relevant factor, expectations is not.

Clearly I was not saying new ideas should become the bases or norm for the rest of the franchise, as you think with your examples, but one or two time spinoffs.. spi..spinoff titles like these are perfectly fine.. cause you know.. spinoffs. R&C did a few spinoffs then went back to what its praised for and great at........... what is the issue?

Edited by Mar
  • Like 1

FFA gets grief mainly, I think, because of when it was released.   There is nothing wrong with changing up the formula for spin-off games or even main franchises...if they are needing freshened up, but FFA released '12, 2 years after the previous instalment, which was yet another spin-off in A4O, and 3 years after the last 'proper' game in the franchise.   It simply wasn't what people wanted, never mind it being an decent but yet average 'mini' game.   

Had it come between games in the core franchise it'd probably have been received better, like QfB, or A4O which besides a better game, we'd just had a core game and the expectation was another core game was following...but we got FFA 2 years later.   There was a lot of disappointment at the time and subsequently Insomniac pushed out Nexus a year later, great little game but much like the PS4 remake, short and not quite a full experience for many.    Fan disappointment weighs heavily on FFA, and the fact it wasn't anywhere near being a great game doesn't help it either.   Some liked it, fair enough, but personally I'd rather have been playing a new core game...and I'm still waiting!

14 hours ago, Mar said:

Right because lets be a smartass and also ignore the fact that this happened (and for not so bright people) - v

So.. you cant take the time to understand or accept a different vision/idea with an installment in a franchise? Since when was it law that every single R&C game had to be the traditional linear, single player experience? Why cant one experiement with cooperative or online play? In short, it should be judged for what it tries to do, not for failing to meet your expectations by not being a traditional R&C game.

No Ive read several of your Jak post on different threads. There was no judging or assumptions :p.

Jak X isnt a kart racer, and if thats what people wanted and expected (like CTR), you'd be fairly disappointed. Its an arcady half drive sim/half kart racer, so more complex controls should be expected. A lot of ppl dislike the entire game and call it bad (.. lol..) cause its not easy like kart racers, esp since CTR wasnt. People dont like the concept of having to learn to master the controls and the general demanded skill input of the game, since kart racers (again like CTR) dont do this. (Basically... people dont like it because it isnt a kart racer.) Ignoring that closeminded perspective, the game is actually amazing. From structure, production values, design, graphics, environments, story, gameplay, content, music, and so fourth.

Dude I have no idea WTF you're even talking about because you started typing out these essays on Jak & Daxter that I'm obviously not going to read. All I noticed was that you said "R&C fans have no appreciation". No appreciation for what?

1 hour ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Dude I have no idea WTF you're even talking about because you started typing out these essays on Jak & Daxter that I'm obviously not going to read. All I noticed was that you said "R&C fans have no appreciation". No appreciation for what?

That's sad, that's truly sad. I separated replies per person, and it wasnt an essay nor about Jak.

Also............. it's Jak *and Daxter :^] Only Ratchet and Clank have the & in their titles.

If nothing else, R&CAFO is actually a fantastic cooperative game. So much coop depth, variety, consistency, mechanics. etc. Everything bores me but all the coop mechanics. Great game with friends for sure, and 10/10 coop gameplay wise.

Edited by Mar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnimeDreama said:

Yep, yep, a million times yep.

No... you don't count! For the people who like mp and sp. For those who come back for mp, wouldnt come back otherwise if it didnt have it. I love TLOU SP, but doing SP everyday vs MP everyday... MP is going to win in the end. 

• 3 years later...

Just to necro a thread real quick with a post that's actually on topic. I don't know what the point of a game like this is. 

Sure, experimenting is fine but delegate that to an actual spinoff and make it obvious. After Crack in Time came out, the R+C series kinda just flopped about for a while and even now, 4 years after the movie and PS4 game, there is no clear indicator of what is coming next. I may not like the Future series very much but the R+C games were always known to be of the best quality and then they went out of their way for about 5 years to just make trash and have that be it, sullying the name of the series. Sure, Mario Party and the Mario sports games aren't really that great but they also come out along side actual, core Mario games. Imagine if they just released Mario Party and that was it for 5 years? People would be much more critical of it. Most series do something special for their numbered anniversaries and yeah, we got an HD version of 1,2,3 and that should have been it, reminding us of what the series once was. But in the space of just about 3 years there was mediocre Ratchet game after mediocre Ratchet game.

I enjoy this much more than All 4 One but that isn't saying much, that game went on for far too long. But the core mechanics of this game are just flawed. >have to beat level quickly >cant upgrade weapons because doing so spawns another wave of enemies to fight >get bodied anyway because my guns were bad but cant get more because then go over the time limit >???????????. The final boss activated a bomb I need to turn off? Oh, he's shooting at me, have to wait until he puts his shield back up and then shoot the shield off so I can just barely make it to the bomb. It's simply bad design, there's no two ways around it. How can one person be in two places at once with defending both sides of the base. I do well, and then both sides spawn in a tank and then what am I supposed to do? One side always gets demolished. I somehow managed to do a dev time by myself but that was by the skin of my teeth. Having unskippable cutscenes count towards the runtime should have died ages ago. Its simply unfair. 

I was enjoying it at first, game made me laugh, the story was lighthearted and I enjoyed seeing the characters in a setting like this, even if they don't get to do much and the gameplay was different. But before the first level ended I already started to question what I was playing. It looks cheap, doesn't control well and is all over the place. I thought this was a version of the R+C3 multiplayer made into a full game but nope. I just hope these 3 games (A4O, FFA,ITN) were budget titles x2. Imagine paying 40 dollars for FFA, you can finish it in like 2 hours. I replay the classic series of games annually and never touch anything after the PSP. Its a shame, but hey, its just me.

• 7 months later...

When I played it years back when I cared less about trophies, I though it was fine, but nowadays, when I replayed the game with a follow partner I boosted the rest of the Online I had left via Discord, my god. The game sucks. Graphically it is okay, but the story is non-existent and is extremely terrible, the game is repetitive, and it is easy as hell via coop, and the ending makes zero sense. The multiplayer is no better, with a lack of modes. 

Just saying my opinion of the game. I can see the concept of the game, but it poorly made that it is the worst game in the series. 

The digital version gave me the PS3 port of Deadlocked, though it is not a perfect port

One more thing, the main antagonist is awful that he says crappy social media memes, and it full of internet references. Forgot to put it out there.

• Like 1