Platinum Trophies that made you hate the game

Paleblood

Mine would probably have to be Until Dawn.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't get me wrong I really liked this game but I made the stupid mistake of trying to Platinum this game as fast as I possible could which made the game very stale in my opinion.
Their is not much to say about this as it's a game with not much free roam.
Also the collectibles were kind of a pain in the bum because if you missed this collectible you would have to wait until you finished the game to go back and get it.
Also trying to Platinum this in one sitting, so playing it once to not kill anyone then playing it again straight after to kill everyone made me hate this game. 
--------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

Psycho-Pass Mandatory Happiness. The mini-game is thumb destroying, button destroying, endless grinding. The story and polish in the main game itself was also not great, and it pains me to say this as a Psycho-Pass fan. It's just a very average, at times below average visual novel. 

Sound Shapes. Death Mode was just awful, thoughtless, and masochistic trophy design. Goes against everything about the game's principles. It was so tedious and bad that I gave up on it. Not even sure how so many people have the Platinum. I understand the PS4/3/Vita trophy dupes, but you'd have to get the Platinum in the first place, and who would want to go through that kind of torture?

Need for Speed Most Wanted. Needle Point race. Nigh impossible, Maybe I'm just bad. I've come close to getting 1st place on this race, but never close enough. I always lose speed at the last turn or the game inevitably spawns a car right in front of you and you crash. The sub-native pixel presentation doesn't help either, as stuff is way too small and blurry. I understand it's much easier to achieve on PS3 though, owing to the much better graphical presentation, frame rate and handling of the cars.

These stand out because the last 2 I've just given up the Platinums on. The first one reminds me how much I hate grindy trophies. After getting the Platinum in Bloodborne, I'm reminded of how much of a breath of fresh air it is to not have to do tedious crap to get a little achievement picture on my online profile. The worst trophies are the ones that you have to grind tons for, where the gameplay itself isn't compelling enough to justify the grind. Next up are multiplayer tied trophies that prevent you from achieving the Platinum because its locked behind a mode I don't care for, nor care to pay a PS Plus sub to engage in. Lastly, having to play a game more than once or twice is something I'd prefer to avoid. Games with content that is hidden behind a New Game Plus mode are fine. But that's only if the new content doesn't take me a significant time to reach on my 2nd or 3rd go, or if the gameplay is interesting enough to justify my going through it again.

Really though, games are games and the true test of patience is whether or not the gameplay or content is good enough to suffer the tedium on the path to getting a Platinum. 

• Like 3

Think I'll have to say Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection... Obviously, there are games in the collection I liked much better than others and I enjoyed playing and getting the trophies for those, but for others... some of the trophy-games were just a chore to get through (i'm just really grateful it has in-game savescumming where you can backup and reload saves at any point you want heh) Oh yeah, there's also 2 controllers required for ONE part since you have to beat one of the Sonic 2 bosses in 2-player to get one of the unlockables.
Won't say it's horrible though, overall it's a decent game collection but there will most likely be trophes you really won't like just due to not liking the game it's from. x3

There have also been other games where I in the end really enjoyed the game overall BUT it had one of two trophies which were a pain to get (often not even in terms of difficulty but in terms of grinding)... Project Diva F/F2  (let's just say I'm happy Diva X doesn't show repeat item events anymore... had to grind SO MUCH points to buy 8 and 16-possible-events items over and over again), Neptunia Rebirth and that damn Millionaire trophy... but when I really like a game I'm just even more motivated to plat it even though I hate That One Trophy. If it's just grindy and not too hard skill-wise, I'll probably just power through it somehow anyway even if I hate grinding.

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Spaz said:

I still have this game, don't recall if the game is doable solo with two controllers or if there's an online mode I need to play. 

You need to complete a ranked match online with another player for one trophy if I recall, but the other two online trophies can actually be done solo, and the rest of the offline game is also soloable. I played through the campaign with my partner first time, but I ended up getting most of the trophies on my own.

I guess my pick would be Metal Gear Solid 4 ...
To get the platinum the player has to:
-Beat the game on highest difficulty level,
-Without being spotted (no alarms),
-Without using continues,
-Without using ANY recovery items (even though boss fight with Vamp and Mantis REQUIRE using the syringe - WTF ?!),
-Without using any special items (like stealth camouflage),
-Without killing anyone,
-In uder 5 hours.
ALL IN ONE PLAY THROUGH. (hope I didn't miss any requirements)

Each of those is within my skills if I were to do them independently ... I can even imagine doing every except the time trial in one play through (taking everything really slow, and carefully), but not each and every of those requirements at once ...

2nd Pick would be HELLDIVERS I guess ...
Why ? Because it was fun playing with local friends and all, sometimes some random people online, most trophies popped up naturally, some required some effort , some required really good cooperation, and when I finally got those hardest to get trophies along with my friends, reached the level necessary for the trophy - one last trophy remained to be achieved - KILL ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND ENEMIES. I check my profile ... and after mastering everything else in this game I have LESS THAN HALF of what was required ... that's another 100% of what I already played through just plain grinding kills.

Edited by PiotrekHenry

Until Dawn has a very strict saving system. If you missed a few collectibles it's basically go back and start over.

Nothing in the Mega Drive SEGA collection was bad except for Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine. That last level was a pain. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was a shit cartoon, tried too hard to be like Looney Tunes while lacking the clever wit and humor of the classics.

The best I can offer you in Sound Shapes is keep trying. It took me over 100 attempts for some levels but I eventually pulled through and got them. 

The only thing I'm worried about in Bloodborne are the chalice dungeons.

4 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

You need to complete a ranked match online with another player for one trophy if I recall, but the other two online trophies can actually be done solo, and the rest of the offline game is also soloable. I played through the campaign with my partner first time, but I ended up getting most of the trophies on my own.

You simply just need to complete one match. There's a gold trophy for beating certain times, not sure how that one would go.

But I agree in that offering trophies for running X amount of kms/miles is just stupid. 

Shadow of the Colossus

It was on an older account, and I never did get the plat in the end. Let me start out by saying I love this game most of the time, I really do. I bought it in the PS2 days after a friend reccommended it and I was delighted when I heard it was getting a PS3 version, alongside ICO, which I never had the chance to play before. I start SotC with a happy heart, not caring how many playthroughs I might have to do to max out my stats and generally just enjoying the scenery.

And then it happened.

Hard Time Attack.

I have never raged at a game so much in my history of gaming. I read up on it and apparently what makes it harder on the PS3 is the increased frame rate. Wanda would wobble when frame rates changed or a rumble was detected (or something, it was a while ago) and apparently with the upgrade in FPS and stuff, he wobbles more than ever now. I could not get him to cling onto the colossi to kill them in time for love nor money.

I felt sad too, because I love that game so much, and yet at the same time I absolutely loathe it.

I haven't played it since, and every time I think about trying to go for the plat again I remember that feeling of rage, as I place it back on the shelf and pick another game.

10 hours ago, Joker said:

@TONY-7581 The hate for Max Payne 3 is real in here :lol:

Another gem of mine is Mafia 3.

See, I don't struggle that hard with challenge. What really grinds my gears is repetition... If I have to do like level grinding in a Final Fantasy game thats one thing. You don't like grinding at all? Don't start RPG's.

But when a game forces me to do the same fucking boring stuff over and over and over and over... and calls that 'Story', I really can go nuts at times.
I'm sure you are all familiar with whats the main problem for a lot of people with Mafia's third installment, so I won't go much into detail here. If you don't know, long story short - you have ONE type of mission for ~20h gameplay. Rinse and repeat. Enjoy.

I was literally screaming all the way through my second playthrough. Much to the enjoyment of my girlfriend.

It took me mind numbingly TWO WEEKS of playing this shit everyday for an hour or two, cause I couldn't bring myself to enjoy even one second of it. In a month I had loads of freetime and did what? 14 plats I think? Just saying.

The thing is... I really wanted to like this game. Mafia II got mixed reviews as well at first, and that one I fucking loved.

So I thought: ''Screw all those crtics, they moan about every little thing. It maybe won't be gaming heaven but it sure will be enjoyable.'' Boy was I wrong.

I really liked the first few hours. The lip snyc was so spot on at times, I really just liked looking at the cutscenes.The overall story seemed exciting too, as I'm a huge fan of both, Mafia- and revenge stories. I don't mind graphics at all, so seeing how this game was 'ugly' (as some critics called it) was beyond me.

But it was kind of 'off' from the start. I never was excited to turn on my PS4 and I always quit after two hours or so. I even started the game on hard, which is my go-to difficulty for games I like usally, but I never wanted to do anything.

You feel me? I did like two Main Missions every time and just quit the game because there was zero fun in it. I can't exactly name the problem, its just not fun at all to play Maia 3.

Playing through the game a second time was the most sluggish experience in recent years for me. I absolutely hated its guts.

Still - I had to do the plat. God damn, I hate myself sometimes.

I have to say I agree with the second play through just being god awful. It's just the same thing over and over and you don't even enjoy the cinematics as you did on the 1st. A bunch of people are even having their second play through glitch on them to where they don't get the plat. But with all that said I must say I truly enjoyed this game for a full playthrough. The story, the voice acting, and even the gameplay. I know it was highly repetitive but I still enjoyed it. Can't wait for dlc to drop so I can dive back in. Sorry it completely just quoted the wrong person, my bad. I was discussing mafia 3.

Edited by serialkilla1987
Quoted wrong person

Wipeout hd for me.  Was really enjoying the game until the last tier on elite difficulty. One single race in particular took me 3 nights of agony to come first.  

Another one I guess is world at war. Veteran mode made me hate this game.  I would still hate the game today but it's incredibly fun zombie mode saves it.  

On 2017-02-11 at 11:52 AM, SuperSmexy500 said:

Ratchet and Clank: FFA is the most recent frustrating platinum to come to mind. In particular, the annoying trophy of having to glide and run a specific number of miles. Trophies like this always make a game a lot less enjoyable, since literally all you're doing is moving your character around for hours waiting for the trophy to pop. I just multi-tasked a bit, browsing the net while doing it, still wasn't much fun though.

The concept behind those trophies is fine. "People who just play the game will eventually get this naturally"... but, if your game doesn't have enough content to get you there before you've done everything else.. then it's just dumb.

Trying to remember what game it was, but there's a game with "play x hours" and you can beat and get all other trophies well before the time is up. So then you're just left with nothing but fake playing the game until the timer finally goes high enough. :/ It's just 100% iirc, not a plat either. Still stupid.

Or like Resistance 2 and it's ridiculous kill number trophy. At some point, it's just too much dudes.

8 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Trying to remember what game it was, but there's a game with "play x hours" and you can beat and get all other trophies well before the time is up. So then you're just left with nothing but fake playing the game until the timer finally goes high enough. :/ It's just 100% iirc, not a plat either. Still stupid.

The first part made me think that you refer to Yomowari: Night Alone as according to many the game can be finished in 5 hours, but it has as trophy for playing 50 hours:
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5037-yomawari-night-alone

But it has a plat.

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

The first part made me think that you refer to Yomowari: Night Alone as according to many the game can be finished in 5 hours, but it has as trophy for playing 50 hours:
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5037-yomawari-night-alone

But it has a plat.

You got me curious so I looked up what it was. Thought it was Brick Breaker at first, but it was Breakquest: Extra Evolution for Vita. Wasn't far off, I knew it was something like that. Most people get the rest of the trophies in around 6-8 hours it seems. Sounds about right, it wasn't that hard from what I remember.

It's really stupid on a handheld.

Street Fighter x Tekken

I don't actually hate the game, but I'm really disappointed in it as a whole. Mission Mode is the problem. Some of the missions are just really lame and difficult to the point of being unfun. I just wish Capcom had made the missions a test of fighting game skills and less about survival matches against op characters.  

Edited by The_Blackout_Kid

7 hours ago, closertim said:

Wipeout hd for me.  Was really enjoying the game until the last tier on elite difficulty. One single race in particular took me 3 nights of agony to come first.  

Another one I guess is world at war. Veteran mode made me hate this game.  I would still hate the game today but it's incredibly fun zombie mode saves it.  

Yup, Call of Duty: WAW is a problem. Veteran mode with added grenade spam makes for a delightful experience. :facepalm:

Edited by The_Blackout_Kid

7 hours ago, Thoazol said:

Batman: Arkham Asylum. The combat challenges were some of the most frustrating things I've done for trophies. Also the platinum image is of a completely different design from the rest of the list, it's low-resolution and it's just called Platinum Trophy.

I totally loved the Arkham Asylum trophy list and consider it to be one of the most fun ever.

But as I stated, I love me some challenge. I hate repetition.

I'm kind of annoyed with Arkham City though, as it forces me to go through the Game again with all sidequests and adds nothing to the table.

Just boring repetition.

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 0:17 AM, Spaz said:

Nothing in the Mega Drive SEGA collection was bad except for Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine. That last level was a pain. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was a shit cartoon, tried too hard to be like Looney Tunes while lacking the clever wit and humor of the classics. 

I actually liked that one (since I already like puyopuyo) and enjoyed trying to get that, haven't seen that Sonic cartoon either so don't really have any bad memories from it x3

On 12/02/2017 at 4:56 PM, easterkeke said:

Need for Speed Most Wanted. Needle Point race. Nigh impossible, Maybe I'm just bad. I've come close to getting 1st place on this race, but never close enough. I always lose speed at the last turn or the game inevitably spawns a car right in front of you and you crash. The sub-native pixel presentation doesn't help either, as stuff is way too small and blurry. I understand it's much easier to achieve on PS3 though, owing to the much better graphical presentation, frame rate and handling of the cars.

I've not played Most Wanted but if it's anything like the final race in NFS Hot Pursuit after half a dozen attempts at what was a 30 minute race I realised I was losing out to the rubber banding which pretty much overtook me in the final couple of corners every single time.  The solution was to purposefully drive along in second place and then overtake in those last corners, I finally Platinumed the game with what was probably my slowest time in that race!

Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo.

This was my first ever Rally Racer game and if this is what I'm to expect if I want to play the WRC of Dirt titles, I'll pass. Controls took forever for me to properly memorize and turning was a nightmare. Once i crashed, i was done for even with the rewinds. Not much variety and the game is just boring and frustrating to me. Ill probably try to get the trophies since I started it. My style of racing is more Burnout then this!

I have two in particular: 

God of War - Specifically the challenges of the Gods. Oh my god did I want to smash my controller on this one. The first like 6 or 7 challenges are completely fine, but it's when you get towards the end that there's a particular challenge that states you must kill all the enemies. Easy right? WRONG. Not only does the challenge start with several gorgons, it also has dive-bombing harpies as well. The gorgons just keep on spamming the stone gaze and the harpies keep dive-bombing. You get turned to stone, your dead. I finally managed to beat this one challenge by using a strategy someone made online. Before I found it, I wanted nothing more than to break and smash everything.

Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 - So I got this because I love Harry Potter and generally all the lego games. I figured it would be an easy plat and something to play with my girlfriend. I must empahize, do not play this game in Co-Op if you want the plat. My god, all the character unlock trophies didn't unlock when I did everything. The game doesn't tell you that these trophies are only unlocked by playing single player (a mistake they remedied in Years 5-7 thankfully!). Not only did I have to play through the game a second time by myself, but halfway through my getting the collectibles, the game outright crashed and corupted my save data. All I remember is going into a classroom and the game infinetely loading before it crashed. I was distraught at having to slog through the game yet a THIRD time. I shelved it for a long while because I was at the breaking point. Picked it up several months later, threw on a few podcasts and slogged through the game for the last time.