Platinum Trophies that made you hate the game

Paleblood

Mass Effect 3 - Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this game to death. I played through it over half a dozen times just because I loved the story so much and could not bear to part ways with it. What made me hate the game during my final platinum run was insanity difficulty. Specifically the battle against the three Geth Primes. I had to restart this fight over 30 times before I finally achieved victory. I used Garrus and Tali (both of whom died all 30+ times). What finally won me the fight was that I encountered a VERY LUCKY glitch that caused the last Geth Prime to become stuck walking forwards into a crate. Its cannon fire could never hit me so I just stood in place firing my Prothean particle rifle at it for 10 minutes. I was so happy I almost cried.

Borderlands - The grind for this game sucked nearly all enjoyment out of it for the final 20 or so hours that I played it. I enjoyed it overall; it really is one of the best FPS games out there, but it got sooooo boring sooooo fast.

11 hours ago, AnimeDreama said:

Mass Effect 3 -... ...What finally won me the fight was that I encountered a VERY LUCKY glitch that caused the last Geth Prime to become stuck walking forwards into a crate. Its cannon fire could never hit me so I just stood in place firing my Prothean particle rifle at it for 10 minutes. I was so happy I almost cried.

Haha, a very similair thing happend to me with final boss in Jak II. I found a spot where you could not get hit after ~30 minutes of constant failure, I just wanted wanted to hug someone :lol:

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Terra said:

Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo.

This was my first ever Rally Racer game and if this is what I'm to expect if I want to play the WRC of Dirt titles, I'll pass. Controls took forever for me to properly memorize and turning was a nightmare. Once i crashed, i was done for even with the rewinds. Not much variety and the game is just boring and frustrating to me. Ill probably try to get the trophies since I started it. My style of racing is more Burnout then this!

Should take note that DiRT 2 has an unobtainable platinum now.

Stories - The path of destinies

I'm currently working on this one and am about the half way point.  At first I was having fun with it, then after around 5 or 6 playthroughs going over the same scenes and dialogue the boredom began setting in.  The worst part is that you need to do 25 play throughs........  I'm just over the half way point, there isn't anything new happening in the next play through and the ones after.  Each game lasts around 40 minutes and consists of 5 chapters.  I'm now just rushing through to get it done.  The character needs to level up to 46 and I'm now at 23, hoping this will be taken care of and not need anymore plays of it!

Whoever designed the combat system on this need a high five to the face with an axe!  To counter an attack you need to use the analogue stick to face the attacking enemy to counter, the same analogue stick with square to attack enemies.  I've lost count how many times that I lose xp due to the stupid combat system not knowing what I'm aiming for due to the idiotic set up.

They really should have made the amount of play through alot less than it is.  This is quite possibly the most boring grind I have ever done and can't wait for it to be over and done with!

I may actuually enjoy deleting this game more than seeing the plat trophy pop.

• Like 1

I'd have to say red dead redemption. I really enjoyed playing the actual storyline but when it came to getting the plat, well I just gave up out of pure frustration for two reasons. The first being the shower of **** that is online, the second being some of the ridiculous things you had to do for challenges. Also not related to the plat but I was never able to complete the undead nightmare dlc as it glitched out on me mid mission and cba starting again. 

Rogue Galaxy's "reach level 99 with any character" has pretty much soured the entire experience for me. I really should just walk away. However, masochist that I am I'll chip away at this monotonous, pointless task every now and again until any pleasure I derived from the game is but a distant memory. I oddly enjoy grinding in RPGs, but it needs to have some kind of purpose, whether that be being strong enough to face a boss, optional dungeon, gather loot etc. But spamming supernova over and over again when I've done everything that there is in the game is a joke. Combine that with the shitty experience per battle and the shitty monster spawn rates and well...screw the game and screw the plat when I get it lol.

On 16/02/2017 at 11:56 AM, electoblaze said:

Honestly, Lego Marvel Superheroes.

My gold brick count got bugged after many hours working on it, which was devastating. Four years later and I still don't have a single Lego game plat.

I have to agree with you there and then the last race is at the highest point that you can get and it doesn't tell you, so you are flying around the area seeing nothing

I suspect LBP Vita will be on here when/if I finish it... not only does it have a ridiculous amount of multiplayer trophies, but there's stuff like spending 24 "active" hours in Create Mode (and since it's Vita I can't just leave the TV on and go do something else - think I'd have to touch the controller anyway), story mode collectibles requiring 2-player, and doing 10 no-damage runs in a row (as if no-damage running all story mode levels wasn't enough)

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 2:29 PM, FarSideOfSaturn said:

I don't have the platinum because I can't get the :gold: Castle Guide trophy but I'll go for Ico. I like Ico, I think it does everything right, the story, gameplay, it's pretty, excellent audio, even Yorda's AI creates a few suspenseful moments. A lot of people complain about it but I think I understand her, she's been locked up. She's free for maybe the first time in her life, she's curious and wants to explore. I'm okay with that. That's how I feel when I play Ico normally. Trying to finish the game in under two hours though...

YORDA DO AS I SAY YOU #$@% BEFORE I FEED YOU TO THE SHADOW MONSTERS MYSELF YOU !#?@%#@ $#!%!!

Castle Guide is the last trophy I need for the platinum and once a month, I make an attempt at it. I usually come in a few minutes over and I'm sure with enough attempts I'll get it eventually. My hate for ICO isn't eternal, it lasts for those two or so hours, then dissipates before reappearing a month later :lol: It's a great game, it's just a horrible game to speedrun. 

I agree with you on this and know your pain. I failed at the Castle guide once and I was literally probably a minute or 2 off. My final save time was 1:32 and just couldn't get it so I had to do a new playthrough again for the trophy. The game is good, but I would never touch the game again. Just hearing people talk about it brings back feeling of frustration.

To be a little different from everyone else, I'll throw in Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. The game is good and the story is interesting, but there are way too many collectable B.S. trophies. It wouldn't be so bad if the game wasn't so slow! Omg, I was sooo bored collecting trophies. I had to take multiple breaks from the game because I was just so bored. 

On 19.2.2017 at 4:17 AM, Zanreo said:

I suspect LBP Vita will be on here when/if I finish it... not only does it have a ridiculous amount of multiplayer trophies, but there's stuff like spending 24 "active" hours in Create Mode (and since it's Vita I can't just leave the TV on and go do something else - think I'd have to touch the controller anyway), story mode collectibles requiring 2-player, and doing 10 no-damage runs in a row (as if no-damage running all story mode levels wasn't enough)

Little Big Planet 3 litterally scarred me.

It changed my trophy-hunting..uhm..mojo? - Whatever.

I was so frustrated with it, that I'm kind of afraid of frustration now... I know this sounds rediculous but, I just don't want to get frustrated and angry. I hate those feelings.

Usally I am really competitive when it comes to throphies. I never drop a game cause it's too hard, only when I'm bored of it.
But as of now, I can't get myself to try the challanges in Arkham City since I got a little breakdown on LBP 3.

Edited by Joker

On 2/14/2017 at 5:57 AM, AnimeDreama said:

Mass Effect 3 - Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this game to death. I played through it over half a dozen times just because I loved the story so much and could not bear to part ways with it. What made me hate the game during my final platinum run was insanity difficulty. Specifically the battle against the three Geth Primes. I had to restart this fight over 30 times before I finally achieved victory. I used Garrus and Tali (both of whom died all 30+ times). What finally won me the fight was that I encountered a VERY LUCKY glitch that caused the last Geth Prime to become stuck walking forwards into a crate. Its cannon fire could never hit me so I just stood in place firing my Prothean particle rifle at it for 10 minutes. I was so happy I almost cried.

I've just completed Insanity for the platinum and had little trouble with the difficulty, less so than ME2, but I figured this part would give me trouble. I died four times. The fifth attempt I took the first cover on the left with the thermal clips resting on top. I whipped out my upgraded M-11 Suppressor Heavy Pistol I'd gotten during the Citadel DLC on my first playthrough and sent Garrus and Tali up the middle to draw their fire. Between those two, Garrus spamming overload and Tali's combat drone I got extremely lucky, only Garrus was downed so I used medigel quickly while still popping off the Primes. Once the first Prime went down, the other two were cake. Only took me two minutes.

Edited by MeteorHawk

On 2/12/2017 at 11:22 AM, Joker said:

@TONY-7581 The hate for Max Payne 3 is real in here :lol:

Another gem of mine is Mafia 3.

See, I don't struggle that hard with challenge. What really grinds my gears is repetition... If I have to do like level grinding in a Final Fantasy game thats one thing. You don't like grinding at all? Don't start RPG's.

But when a game forces me to do the same fucking boring stuff over and over and over and over... and calls that 'Story', I really can go nuts at times.
I'm sure you are all familiar with whats the main problem for a lot of people with Mafia's third installment, so I won't go much into detail here. If you don't know, long story short - you have ONE type of mission for ~20h gameplay. Rinse and repeat. Enjoy.

I was literally screaming all the way through my second playthrough. Much to the enjoyment of my girlfriend.

It took me mind numbingly TWO WEEKS of playing this shit everyday for an hour or two, cause I couldn't bring myself to enjoy even one second of it. In a month I had loads of freetime and did what? 14 plats I think? Just saying.

The thing is... I really wanted to like this game. Mafia II got mixed reviews as well at first, and that one I fucking loved.

So I thought: ''Screw all those crtics, they moan about every little thing. It maybe won't be gaming heaven but it sure will be enjoyable.'' Boy was I wrong.

I really liked the first few hours. The lip snyc was so spot on at times, I really just liked looking at the cutscenes.The overall story seemed exciting too, as I'm a huge fan of both, Mafia- and revenge stories. I don't mind graphics at all, so seeing how this game was 'ugly' (as some critics called it) was beyond me.

But it was kind of 'off' from the start. I never was excited to turn on my PS4 and I always quit after two hours or so. I even started the game on hard, which is my go-to difficulty for games I like usally, but I never wanted to do anything.

You feel me? I did like two Main Missions every time and just quit the game because there was zero fun in it. I can't exactly name the problem, its just not fun at all to play Maia 3.

Playing through the game a second time was the most sluggish experience in recent years for me. I absolutely hated its guts.

Still - I had to do the plat. God damn, I hate myself sometimes.

yeah had to express my hate for max payne 3 so sad too because i actually loved it after the first playthrough and now i despise it with a passion. i feel you heard alot of bad things with mafia 3, another shame i was actually hype about it when they announced it alot of open worlds have kinda been flops recently atleast thats how i feel

Another one I haven't actually plated yet, but recently got back to Puppeteer for the rest of the trophies and... oh man, the co-op trophies (which I didn't even make any progress towards before coming back to it because I just wanted to enjoy the game by myself the first time) are a PAIN when you don't have anyone to play with. -_- Forget the no-damage sections, this "collect 3000 sparkles as player 2" is gonna be the death of me... having to awkwardly juggle between first and second player, holding both controllers myself... think I might just try for the "kill 50 enemies as player 2" first since it's much faster (collecting any sparkles I can during that time so there'll be less later) and then come back to that one at the very end

Edited by Zanreo

4 hours ago, Zanreo said:

Another one I haven't actually plated yet, but recently got back to Puppeteer for the rest of the trophies and... oh man, the co-op trophies (which I didn't even make any progress towards before coming back to it because I just wanted to enjoy the game by myself the first time) are a PAIN when you don't have anyone to play with. -_- Forget the no-damage sections, this "collect 3000 sparkles as player 2" is gonna be the death of me... having to awkwardly juggle between first and second player, holding both controllers myself... think I might just try for the "kill 50 enemies as player 2" first since it's much faster (collecting any sparkles I can during that time so there'll be less later) and then come back to that one at the very end

While you do this you could listen to this and look awkwardly at your hand with your second controller.

But seriously, good luck, trophies like this are the worst.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

For me it's got to be The Last of Us.

Playing the game for the 1st time was fun, but once you have to replay it over and over... and then the Grounded DLC came out so that's another run... you realize how slow it is, every section it's a slow walk to the next point, then when there is "action" you just slowly stealth through it and repeat this process over and over.

I still haven't done the PS4 ver. because of that, just remembering all the slow walk parts... sheesh! At least let me run on NG+!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26.2.2017 at 9:50 PM, renatabls said:

For me it's got to be The Last of Us.

Playing the game for the 1st time was fun, but once you have to replay it over and over... and then the Grounded DLC came out so that's another run... you realize how slow it is, every section it's a slow walk to the next point, then when there is "action" you just slowly stealth through it and repeat this process over and over.

I still haven't done the PS4 ver. because of that, just remembering all the slow walk parts... sheesh! At least let me run on NG+!

I also think the game is a tad overrated. I love the story and the characters, and I am super hyped for Volume II... but actually playing the game multiple times is a chore to me.

Ev...er...y....thi....ng.....is just soooo slow and sluggish. And once you know everything about the story you obviously can't get invested to the same degree. I still don't own the Plat, hopefully some day I will.

The gameplay is pretty much 'giving up' to the story. That always bothered me.

PS: I want my posts to be read in a posh british accent in your mind if possible. :coffee: pip pip.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2

I was frustrated with AirRace Speed on PS Vita.

I knew the series from the DSi days and assumed this would be easy. While it is currently registered as my fastest platnium, it was still a pain in the ass, as the later levels need so precise timing to get the gold ranking which is hard to do and slowing down to dodge makes you lose so much time that you could just as well crash.

While in no way as frustrating as anything else i read on here i still wanted to mention it.

On 14 February 2017 at 1:43 PM, MIKEY-L-666 said:

Stories - The path of destinies

I'm currently working on this one and am about the half way point.  At first I was having fun with it, then after around 5 or 6 playthroughs going over the same scenes and dialogue the boredom began setting in.  The worst part is that you need to do 25 play throughs........  I'm just over the half way point, there isn't anything new happening in the next play through and the ones after.  Each game lasts around 40 minutes and consists of 5 chapters.  I'm now just rushing through to get it done.  The character needs to level up to 46 and I'm now at 23, hoping this will be taken care of and not need anymore plays of it!

Whoever designed the combat system on this need a high five to the face with an axe!  To counter an attack you need to use the analogue stick to face the attacking enemy to counter, the same analogue stick with square to attack enemies.  I've lost count how many times that I lose xp due to the stupid combat system not knowing what I'm aiming for due to the idiotic set up.

They really should have made the amount of play through alot less than it is.  This is quite possibly the most boring grind I have ever done and can't wait for it to be over and done with!

I may actuually enjoy deleting this game more than seeing the plat trophy pop.

This.

I have it installed and waiting to be finished somewhere in the future... I don't have the strength to replay everything again and again and again.

The first few playthrough were kind of enjoyable... but now... just a pain...

I might have a proper contender: Shovel Knight. 

Fantastic game one that harkens back to the NES/SNES days of platforming. Lots of good memories, but also bad memories. 

This game makes me hate New Game Plus. Like any other game, it's considerably harder, it is less forgiving, and enemies are simply tougher. Equipment and stats carry over, as one may expect from New Game Plus.

But my god, the penultimate level with the boss rush on NG+? That can suck my dick. Made dozens of attempts over the past three or four hours and gotten nowhere. I hit my PS4 controller down and now the left side of it has some loose parts.