Not too many Soma fans?

big_bob002

3 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Without looking it up, I've heard the name of the game in passing before, but I got no idea what it is even about.

It mostly takes place in this underwater facility.   I'll avoid anything further on that because spoilers. 

It's 8-10 hours 1st playthrough.   1/3 walking sim/ stealth/ puzzles.   The enemies are mediocre and the puzzles are passable.  

The story is pretty crazy.   It's Sci fi and dark and twisted.   There's a main theme that's easy to understand after 1 playthrough but they also added audio logs and data files that take some effort to put together what the crew was doing. 

All trophies are story related so easy 100% but not much challenge. 

I'm keen to play this game, but the price is a little too high for my liking. It was priced at $5 at some point in the past, but I think it was a mistake as a day or two later the price went up to $10. I should have grabbed it then, but thought it would come to PS Plus at some point down the line. It's been more than a year since it launched, so it doesn't seem like it's coming to PS Plus, but at least expect a price drop.

A lot of people didn't get it because it has no platinum. It's in my backlog - got it from it's recent sale for $9.00, on its last sale date 01/31/2017 - I'll start it soon, I just finished Dead Space 2. I'm going to do The Park first, however, then SOMA.

41 minutes ago, big_bob002 said:

This game is easily in my top 5 all time.   The gameplay is passable but the story is so great.   I spent probably 20 hours watching story analysis on YouTube and found this timeline of events that pieced everything together.    

The game even references a short story written in the 1960's that ties back to real life events.   That part is pretty well hidden so most people wouldn't realize it unfortunately. 

Based on this comment alone, I super strongly suggest you buy INSIDE (though gameplay will be better than SOMA's).

20 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Unfortunately, the price pretty much turned me off this game.

At $30 for a digital only, non-platinum list that can be finished in roughly 5 hours....that gets a pass.

Had it been priced more reasonably I would likely have given it a try.

Been on sale 3(+) times. Lowest was $9 last month.

I enjoyed Soma, the story was definitely interesting, more so than Amnesia. But in terms of good horror game material, I'd say Amnesia triumphs. I didn't feel uncomfortable or scared while playing Soma at all, especially when you could get most enemies to leave you alone by simply turning your back to them.

I think the price of the game when it first released probably turned off a lot of people, I know it did for me. I ended up buying it when it was on sale on PSN and don't regret it, but it definitely isn't worth the £25 or so that it was originally priced at on there.

2 hours ago, DysectorZA said:

I found the below analysis video very intriguing. 

SPOILER WARNING

Reveal hidden contents

I've watched every video I can about this game including most of the Let's Plays.   It's the only game I've watched Let's Plays for.   I listen to them at work and it's interesting hearing people's reaction,  particularly to the ending.   

Here's a topic that is extreme spoilers but very worth a read for people that have beat the game.   I've learned a few things since putting it together but it's pretty thorough.   I've yet to see anyone figure out the true villain to the game and it was completely over my head.  Again,  don't click the link unless you beat the game. 

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/735003-soma/74834378

Appreciate the video.   Thanks. 

Edited by big_bob002
Correction
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, JPageMartin36 said:

I tried it last night. Horrid. Couldn't get out of the apartment. No idea what to do. No instruction or anything. Quickly trashed the room picking up and dropping stuff. Turned off after 15/20 mins.

have you tried looking in the kitchen cabinets?

• Like 1

Just now, wackt1 said:

have you tried looking in the kitchen cabinets?

Possibly. I thought I opened all the cupboards anyway. I picked up some keys, rattled the door, went on the cpu, opened curtaind, dvd player, phone, went in bathroom, endless other permutations. Just not sure it's my sort of game tbh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JPageMartin36 said:

Possibly. I thought I opened all the cupboards anyway. I picked up some keys, rattled the door, went on the cpu, opened curtaind, dvd player, phone, went in bathroom, endless other permutations. Just not sure it's my sort of game tbh. 

One of those, huh? <sigh>

I can live with a game that has a tough puzzle or twenty. Or, even a game that has you wondering how you should spend your life. But an inability to get out of an apartment is just too much for me. I mean, are you tied to a chair? Is there a bomb connected to the door?

I tried this game on PS Now for about an hour and I got stuck in the appartment too ?. Luckily there is a great walkthrough online, you just need to pick something up that has multiple spawnpoints. Didn’t have enough time before PS Now expired to actually play more, but this game is pretty good. 

5 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

I tried this game on PS Now for about an hour and I got stuck in the appartment too 1f601.png. Luckily there is a great walkthrough online, you just need to pick something up that has multiple spawnpoints. Didn’t have enough time before PS Now expired to actually play more, but this game is pretty good. 

I'll probably play it with a guide. It is free, after all, and it seems that the story is the main draw, which shouldn't be ruined by a walkthrough.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

One of those, huh? <sigh>

I can live with a game that has a tough puzzle or twenty. Or, even a game that has you wondering how you should spend your life. But an inability to get out of an apartment is just too much for me. I mean, are you tied to a chair? Is there a bomb connected to the door?

No, you're free to move.

Funnily enough, I briefly looked up how to get of out the apartment, then still couldn't do it because I couldn't figure out the controls of how to execute the thing that I needed to do. And I couldn't be bothered researching both that (controls) AND the solution.

Probably there's a game in there somewhere though judging by the positive reviews. Just won't be for me. A free game is like a book for me; has to hook you early.

Edited by JPageMartin36
  • Like 1