Not too many Soma fans?

big_bob002

1 hour ago, JPageMartin36 said:

No, you're free to move.

Funnily enough, I briefly looked up how to get of out the apartment, then still couldn't do it because I couldn't figure out the controls of how to execute the thing that I needed to do. And I couldn't be bothered researching both that (controls) AND the solution.

Probably there's a game in there somewhere though judging by the positive reviews. Just won't be for me. A free game is like a book for me; has to hook you early.

Sounds like you don't like it.  No big deal.  At the risk of more ridicule I'll recommend checking out a playthrough on YouTube?  I listen to them at work. 

The game requires you to check 3 places and won't give you the tracer fluid until you check the 3rd place.  There's nothing complicated with the controls it's just doing things in the right order. 

The game has a # of puzzles like this and doesn't hold your hand.  In terms of gameplay it does feel a little old school.  Most of the puzzles are fairly simple but there's a few that I can tell you wouldn't enjoy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 4:49 PM, big_bob002 said:

This game is easily in my top 5 all time.   The gameplay is passable but the story is so great.   I spent probably 20 hours watching story analysis on YouTube and found this timeline of events that pieced everything together.    

The game even references a short story written in the 1960's that ties back to real life events.   That part is pretty well hidden so most people wouldn't realize it unfortunately. 

I just start playing it , first searched for the drug for 45 Minutes!!, now I really want to delete the game but you encouraged me to give it another try.

1 hour ago, MomeAlsadi said:

I just start playing it , first searched for the drug for 45 Minutes!!, now I really want to delete the game but you encouraged me to give it another try.

You have no idea the amount of time I put into understanding everything about this game.  Lol. 

If you get stuck again please feel free to post here or pm me if you want and I can help you out. 

There is 1 puzzle that is really involved and long.  There's an open area after the first building that people get lost in and give up. 

The last 3rd of the game is more linear, less puzzles, with a heavier focus on story and is all the better for it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_bob002 said:

You have no idea the amount of time I put into understanding everything about this game.  Lol. 

If you get stuck again please feel free to post here or pm me if you want and I can help you out. 

There is 1 puzzle that is really involved and long.  There's an open area after the first building that people get lost in and give up. 

The last 3rd of the game is more linear, less puzzles, with a heavier focus on story and is all the better for it. 

I am now somewhere after the first building under the ocean and my impression is that the game borrowed a lot from Alien Isolation although the later has some gameplay mechanics, also throwing things to distract the monesters doesn’t work if the sound is not very close to him which is a little bit weird cause if I wanted to use it as they intended then I would risk being caught immediately which makes this method useless so I kept the monsters near me and sneaked behind him whatever I need to go somewhere , also the movement of the monester is not random cause he will take the same route every time I reload the scene although I didn’t test it completely  , To be a little positive I loved the Atmosphere it really strikes your consensus very hard and there is  deep story going on but I am still at the beginning , btw love your name ?

Edited by MomeAlsadi

17 hours ago, MomeAlsadi said:

I am now somewhere after the first building under the ocean and my impression is that the game borrowed a lot from Alien Isolation although the later has some gameplay mechanics, also throwing things to distract the monesters doesn’t work if the sound is not very close to him which is a little bit weird cause if I wanted to use it as they intended then I would risk being caught immediately which makes this method useless so I kept the monsters near me and sneaked behind him whatever I need to go somewhere , also the movement of the monester is not random cause he will take the same route every time I reload the scene although I didn’t test it completely  , To be a little positive I loved the Atmosphere it really strikes your consensus very hard and there is  deep story going on but I am still at the beginning , btw love your name 1f609.png

I'll give you a small hint.  Each enemy type has a gimmick and you need to figure out what it is.  If you don't know what to do they'll just keep killing you and it's frustrating.  When you do, they are very trivial.  Later enemies are more random. 

Thanks for the comment on the name.  It's what my uncle called my grandfather so I just went with that.  Glad I didn't choose xxx69sniperb***h or something.  Is there a particular reference for your name? 

One of those rare games with a story you'll think of long after you played it.

The monsters and frame rate dips were annoying, but story is ace.

Don't know if Safe Mode removes all monster encounters because it wasn't available when I played it.

If it does, the game would be so much better. Definitely worth a playthrough now that it's on PS+

• Like 2

I wrote a long response confessing how much I like the game but its got deleted after I pressed Enter WTF!!!!!

I am now at Theta, I restored the signal at the lower level of the facility, I am enjoying every second of the game, thank you for arguing me to give another try but if you asked me I think the first task to search for the Tracker was the reason for many to pass, after that everything kinda straightforward if you pay enough attention to the details around you, t answer your question Mome is the name that my family used to call me when I was a baby its very close from my real name (Monte) and ( Alsadi) is the name of my Clan, I regret not using My real name instead but its okay who cares its just a name right! 

Edited by MomeAlsadi

53 minutes ago, MomeAlsadi said:

I wrote a long response confessing how much I like the game but its got deleted after I pressed Enter WTF!!!!!

I am now at Theta, I restored the signal at the lower level of the facility, I am enjoying every second of the game, thank you for arguing me to give another try but if you asked me I think the first task to search for the Tracker was the reason for many to pass, after that everything kinda straightforward if you pay enough attention to the details around you, t answer your question Mome is the name that my family used to call me when I was a baby its very close from my real name (Monte) and ( Alsadi) is the name of my Clan, I regret not using My real name instead but its okay who cares its just a name right! 

Sounds like you don't need convincing but things start to get more interesting in Omicron.  It introduces you to one of the more interesting characters imo.  Then at the end of Omicron the game starts kicking your ass.  You'll see.  ;)

I love this game. Don't play it for the gameplay, play it for the story.

Once you reach the end and the credits start rolling you will be given a sensation of "I want more" but during the credits the game will mess with your mind and the way you see the story

Edited by maiathewinners

Story-wise this is one of the best (if not the best) horror games I've ever played. There is a puzzle platformer that uses a very similar topic as a background narrative.

On 5.12.2018 at 2:52 PM, starcrunch061 said:

I'll probably play it with a guide. It is free, after all, and it seems that the story is the main draw, which shouldn't be ruined by a walkthrough.

I'd recommend not to do that. While the story indeed is the main draw, the puzzles are interesting enough and imo there's no reason to use a guide if you 1) use your brain and 2) like in any game with adventure elements, check everything meticulously.

Spending some time in the apartment - sure, getting stuck there - can't see why (given you enjoy puzzle/adventure games).

Edited by fastflowdaman
  • Like 3

Alright I finished the game and it was so cool but the ending wasn't really that heartbreaking like lets say (Life Is Strange), the puzzles weren't hard except for one with the computer that connected with the fake ARK at Theta, that puzzle took me 2 hours using pencil and paper to solve and that wasn't fun AT ALL, <Spoiler ahead> ..... I killed myself at Omicron, killed Lindall at Tau and decided not to destroy the WAU, wonder what would happen if I choose the opposite? so before I rap it up did I miss anything interesting?

16 minutes ago, MomeAlsadi said:

except for one with the computer that connected with the fake ARK at Theta

Was that the one where you had limited hard drive space and you had to distribute the files accordingly so that the actual sim could be launched/tested?

I for one like it if a puzzle game makes me use pen and paper to solve some of its riddles. But I'm really fond of puzzle (elements in) games in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MomeAlsadi said:

Alright I finished the game and it was so cool but the ending wasn't really that heartbreaking like lets say (Life Is Strange), the puzzles weren't hard except for one with the computer that connected with the fake ARK at Theta, that puzzle took me 2 hours using pencil and paper to solve and that wasn't fun AT ALL, <Spoiler ahead> ..... I killed myself at Omicron, killed Lindall at Tau and decided not to destroy the WAU, wonder what would happen if I choose the opposite? so before I rap it up did I miss anything interesting?

It should be more than obvious that I love this game.  I've been extremely vocal online about it.  The thing is I'd call the game an 8/10 after my first play.  It wasn't until subsequent playthroughs that I found what I, and likely you, missed.  

There's another topic on psnorofiles called "this game and the philosophy".  If you have 10 minutes to spare scroll down to "Carthage Conspiracy" and "Punic Wars".  There's a LOT going on in this game. 

Even beyond those things the writing in general reveals itself over multiple play throughs.  I'm still finding things 2 years later.  There's lots of foreshadowing, and I've never seen something where lines of dialog can sound like they mean 1 thing but as you understand it better you realize how well thought out everything is. 

Julia Dahl is an excellent example.  There's also 1 line in a hard to find data log about an "interesting conversation between the people of Tau and Omicron".  Spoilers - the people of Omicron left the people of Tau to starve to death.  Much later the people of Omicron were scanned, and subsequently Tau.  The Tau people would have arrived on the ARK and been like "wtf happened?!  We watched people starve to death." - end Spoilers.  That 1 line in the log shows that Frictional thought of this stuff. 

Edited by big_bob002

15 minutes ago, big_bob002 said:

It should be more than obvious that I love this game.  I've been extremely vocal online about it.  The thing is I'd call the game an 8/10 after my first play.  It wasn't until subsequent playthroughs that I found what i, and likely you, missed.  

There's another topic on psnorofiles called "this game and the philosophy".  If you have 10 minutes to spare scroll down to "Carthage Conspiracy" and "Punic Wars".  There's a LOT going on in this game. 

Even beyond those things the writing in general reveals itself over multiple play throughs.  I'm still finding things 2 years later.  There's lots of foreshadowing, and I've never seen something where lines of dialog can sound like they mean 1 thing but as you understand it better you realize how well thought out everything is. 

Julia Dahl is an excellent example.  There's 1 line in a hard to find data log about an "interesting conversation between the people of Tau and Omicron".  Spoilers - the people of Omicron left the people of Tau to starve to death.  Much later the people of Omicron were scanned, and subsequently Tau.  The Tau people would have arrived on the ARK and been like "wtf happened?!  We watched people starve to death.  That 1 line in the log shows that Frictional thought of this stuff. 

what! wait  a second, the people at Tau couldn't get to Omicron because there was a loss in the signal so the climber was off, there is a staff girl at Omicron I believe her name was Harper tried many time to contact Tau on radio but failed, and then as soon as you descend the stairs of the climber you could find the same voice message that she sent from the radio station at Omicron with Starsky or whatever his name!!! I tell you the truth The story is really interesting but sometimes it gets so complicated that nearly lost me after saying this I think the writer needs to be more famous to pull such an intricate story.

Edited by MomeAlsadi

finished the game recently and really enjoyed it. I had one really cool experience I wanted to share and its not really a spoiler or anything but anyway:

One of the encounters in the early-mid section of the game, I turn into one room to explore a bit and a monster creeps in behind me so I hide. The monster seems to be in this loop where it leaves the room for 5 seconds then comes back in ad infinitum. "Well what the hell, I'm stuck" I remark so I resolve to kill myself in order to respawn somewhere more favorable. So I wander into the middle of the room, and just like in Amnesia - I turn away and look at the floor so I won't see it come up and kill me because its still pretty spooky. So I hear it come down the hallway closer and closer, "hmm, it should have seen me by now" and I'm wondering what's going on when it appears in the peripheral and just walks right by me. I immediately turned around and ran my ass to safety. And that's how I found out that some of the monsters in the game are blind!

57 minutes ago, Fray32- said:

finished the game recently and really enjoyed it. I had one really cool experience I wanted to share and its not really a spoiler or anything but anyway:

One of the encounters in the early-mid section of the game, I turn into one room to explore a bit and a monster creeps in behind me so I hide. The monster seems to be in this loop where it leaves the room for 5 seconds then comes back in ad infinitum. "Well what the hell, I'm stuck" I remark so I resolve to kill myself in order to respawn somewhere more favorable. So I wander into the middle of the room, and just like in Amnesia - I turn away and look at the floor so I won't see it come up and kill me because its still pretty spooky. So I hear it come down the hallway closer and closer, "hmm, it should have seen me by now" and I'm wondering what's going on when it appears in the peripheral and just walks right by me. I immediately turned around and ran my ass to safety. And that's how I found out that some of the monsters in the game are blind!

There's a part in that area where you can break a window.  I did that, jumped through and made some noise to spawn him. 

Then started chucking s*** through the window at him. 

It's like those messing with sasquatch commercials. 

1 hour ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

I'm a little bit wary of playing this game because I did not like Amnesia at all.

Is Soma a similar experience?

Imo.  Copied from a post I made on another site 

Pros:
-Great philosophical and very dark story for 1 playthrough if you want. If you like stories where everyone is f***ed this is pretty good. 
-There's some really interesting back story stuff going on. There's some condensed versions in another topic on here. Combined with this stuff it's my favorite story in anything ever. 
-It's only about 10 hours.
-If you have a conscience the game starts kicking you in the nuts for the last 3rd of the game. In a messed up way. 
-Pretty solid atmosphere and sound design. 
-I put the ending up there with MGS3, FFT, Red Dead, and TLOU. 
-You got it for free?

Cons:
-The enemies aren't anything special. It's "run and hide" which most people dislike. You can make it so the enemies can't kill you but then... 
-It feels a lot like a walking sim. It's very slow with a descent amount of dialog. They have fairly simple puzzles to break it up a little.
-There are a few open areas earlier in the game that are easy to get lost in. This completely kills the game for some people. The last half of the game is much more linear.

• Like 2

Yes and no.  So you can play through once and definitely have a very clear idea of the main theme.  By itself you'll probably think of the ending for a long time.  The game is more about the implications of your decisions and what happens in the game.   This main story is easily worth a play through if you are into story driven games. 

There's 1 character you will probably be a little confused on.  He takes a bit of studying to figure out what was going on there. 

Then there's this nuts back story stuff and references to real world history that is really innovative and probably one of the most complicated things I've seen.  However you do not need these last 2 things to get a lot of the story and if you are remotely interested in this other stuff you can just read summaries online. 

Edited by big_bob002
  • Like 1