Not too many Soma fans?

big_bob002

On 12/21/2018 at 9:36 AM, fastflowdaman said:

Story-wise this is one of the best (if not the best) horror games I've ever played. There is a puzzle platformer that uses a very similar topic as a background narrative.

I'd recommend not to do that. While the story indeed is the main draw, the puzzles are interesting enough and imo there's no reason to use a guide if you 1) use your brain and 2) like in any game with adventure elements, check everything meticulously.

Spending some time in the apartment - sure, getting stuck there - can't see why (given you enjoy puzzle/adventure games).

All right! When I pop it in, I'll begin without a guide!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/5/2018 at 8:33 AM, JPageMartin36 said:

Possibly. I thought I opened all the cupboards anyway. I picked up some keys, rattled the door, went on the cpu, opened curtaind, dvd player, phone, went in bathroom, endless other permutations. Just not sure it's my sort of game tbh. 

The gameplay is design is no winner, for sure, and I even stopped playing for a couple months. I had to push through, and I'm so glad I did. The story is incredible, and I still think about it to this day.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/12/2017 at 8:49 AM, big_bob002 said:

This game is easily in my top 5 all time.   The gameplay is passable but the story is so great.   I spent probably 20 hours watching story analysis on YouTube and found this timeline of events that pieced everything together.    

The game even references a short story written in the 1960's that ties back to real life events.   That part is pretty well hidden so most people wouldn't realize it unfortunately. 

Just beat it.

Great story indeed, interesting setting. Those controls are rough. Enemies become more annoying than scary due to not knowing what every monster reacts to.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, SOMA was one of the best experiences I ever had in gaming, I mean it. The one world where I ever cared about saving mankind, whatever that truly means in here. Couldn't be happier for finally playing it. Thanks @Charizarzar for recommending it!

The controls are great and interacting with the scenario is easy, it becomes intuitive very soon, there are puzzles but almost all of them are easy and enjoyable to solve, to the point I was able to complete it without a walkthrough (with a minor exception I'm not mentioning :P). Shout out to @zizimonster whose guide I used to not miss the only missable trophy, thanks!

SOMA was free on Plus in December 2018 so I would say give it a chance if you like exploration, narrative driven games and also some survival horror. It feels old-school by design but I can't say it aged at all. Looking forward to the Amnesia series now that I saw what Frictional Games is capable of!

GravityQueeen.png

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, GravityQueeen said:

Wow, SOMA was one of the best experiences I ever had in gaming, I mean it. The one world where I ever cared about saving mankind, whatever that truly means in here. Couldn't be happier for finally playing it. Thanks @Charizarzar for recommending it!

Glad you liked it! It's a story that still sticks with me all these years later.

• Like 1