Who Is Your Favorite Comedic Actor?

marvelboy10

Leslie Nielsen, just for Airplane and the Naked Gun movies

On 21/06/2020 at 7:15 PM, TKdovahkiin said:

What?! Not a single one of you mentioned Will Ferrell? He puts a lot of heart into his comedy.

lmao, nevermind, you're my favorite now

• Like 4

On 6/21/2020 at 6:15 PM, TKdovahkiin said:

What?! Not a single one of you mentioned Will Ferrell? He puts a lot of heart into his comedy.

Course there are some resident comedians on this site that’ve made me forget about those on TV/movies etc. 

Edit: Oh, does this include actresses too? Kristin Wiig

I thought he was funny early in his carrier but now I just don't find him as funny anymore. I guess I just got used to his comedic style. 

• 4 weeks later...

Jerry Seinfeld 

There wasn't single episode from the sitcom Seinfeld that I didn't laugh at. The characters from the show always seems finds the humor in any situation.

George Carlin 

Would have first seen him in the Bill & Ted movies but I had the opportunity to watch his stand-up routines from the 80s and 90s, he is so hilarious just making jokes at the most simplest things.  

• Like 1

I am not sure if this counts since it is a comedic duo, but Gene Wilder and Richard Prior were two of the funniest people I have ever seen. Each of them are extremely funny on their own but when you put them together, the two of them were legendary. I guess that is why they are in the same category as Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis or Abbot and Costello, or Laurel and Hardy.

• Like 2

These new comedians can't touch the old ones.

I went to a comedy show last September in Sacramento California. On the wall were comedians who were there decades ago.... but the guy who was the main act was from Los Angeles. Only a small time performer, but his jokes were hilarious.

If you ask me who my favorite comedic actors are, it will probably be Robin Williams. As far as stand up comedians, it has to be George Carlin.

Both were standup comedians and both as far as I'm concerned completely blow away today's comedians out of the water. Both of these guys were not afraid to get politically incorrect if they had to. I was watching one of the old Robin Williams standups not too long ago on YouTube and it was unbelievable how talented that man was. Not just a brilliant comedian but also a very good dramatic actor. I recommend Dead Poet Society and Good Will Hunting for anybody interested in seeing his dramatic work.

George Carlin was a pioneer in stand up comedy and basically spoke so much of the truth of America.

Today I find that comedians rely too much on potty humor and using the same gags over and over. Some are good, I'll grant them that, but a number of them to me are no better than people like Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia. They both suck, lack talent and are basically boring. If you're going to try to be offensive to get people to laugh, then you're not a comedian. You suck, and you disrespect the art of comedy. That's a lot of today's comedians in a nutshell.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

A few that come to mind, in alphabetical order, and between brackets for those who aren't labelled comedians but crack me up every time when acting in this category. List far from exhaustive.

(Bae Doona)

John Belushi

Bernard Blier

Charley Bowers

Bruce Campbell

Jackie Chan

Charlie Chaplin

Graham Chapman

Carol Cleveland

(George Clooney)

Rhys Darby

(Ossie Davis)

(Robert Downey Jr)

(Colin Farrell)

W.C. Fields

(Samuel Jackson)

Buster Keaton

(Kitano Takeshi)

The Marx Brothers

Danny McBride

(Frances McDormand)

(Mifune Toshiro)

(Paul Newman)

Una O'Connor

(Al Pacino)

Lori Petty

(Brad Pitt)

Kurt Russell

Peter Sellers

(Wesley Snipes)

(Danny Trejo)

Gene Wilder

Bonus: Keanu Reeves when he's trying to act

Edited by KennethMcCormick
Unfortunate typo, Cgarley instead of Charley
  • Like 1

SMH...

So many of the giants left on the outside looking in...

Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner jump right out from the start. These two were comedy giants both in front and behind the camera.

Jonathan Winters was probably the best Improv comedian, including Robin Williams, to ever grace a screen or a stage.

Tim Conway, Harvey Korman, Don Knotts, Bob Hope and Flip Wilson were some of the best sketch comedy actors EVER.

George Burns and Gracie Allen were one of the best husband/wife teams on any medium; stage, screen, radio and/or television.

And then we have the obvious female giants of the industry; Lucille Ball, Lily Tomlin, Gilda Radner, Joan Rivers, Carol Burnett, Betty White and Phyllis Diller.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Always been a big Jim Carrey fan for sure.  Also Robin Williams will always be a fave.

One of the all timers for me has to be John Cleese.  That guy just tickles my funny bone like few others, his demeanor his delivery his voice and actions, just everything about his performances is absolute comedy gold.  From Flying Circus to Holy Grail to Fawlty Towers to A Fish Called Wanda, I can't think of anything I've seen him in where he didn't crack me up.

Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks are another two that I've always appreciated.  Also same goes for Trey Parker and Matt Stone, between their insanely hilarious movies and 23 seasons (and counting) of South Park, they hit the nail on the head more often then not.

I'm sure I forgot to mention a couple more faves.  Too many great comedians to pick just one!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There are so many I know the second I hit submit I’m gonna realise I missed like a dozen! ?but the ones right up there would be:

Albert Brooks

Julia Louis Dryfuss

Bill Murray
Eugene Levy

Tracy Ullman

Peter Sellers

Michael McKean

Leslie Neilson

Kate McKinnon

Robin Williams

Kristen Wiig

Will Forte

Hannibal Buress

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Leslie Nielsen might just be my top pick - I don't think I've seen any other actor perfect deadpan humour the way he did.

Robin Williams, Jim Carrey (for his body of work in the 90s), Eric Idle and Ryan Reynolds are all good choices.

Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor were comedy gold by themselves, and even more so when paired together.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 0:36 PM, StewartBros said:

Leslie Nielsen might just be my top pick - I don't think I've seen any other actor perfect deadpan humour the way he did.

Robin Williams, Jim Carrey (for his body of work in the 90s), Eric Idle and Ryan Reynolds are all good choices.

Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor were comedy gold by themselves, and even more so when paired together.

Without a doubt. Love the old guys.

Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, Chevy Chase would also be my picks.

• 3 months later...

Robin Williams by and large. Good Morning, Vietnam and Mork and Mindy  just showcases what manic energy he had and still make his death feel really tragic to this day.

For television it'd probably be Michael Richards. Kramer is one of my favorite TV characters.

Honorable mention: Don Knotts, The Three Stooges