Shameless Gushing Thread

Precise--Rhythm

This is a thread where Nioh fanboys and girls can gush about the game we love. Let me start. I just finished the Spider Nest Castle level and my lord was it well-designed. The level constantly left you guessing what was next. First, a village where you're ambushed by spiders, then a mansion-like area with destructible walls and secret areas, then an underground spiders' nest full of death traps, then a cliff-side area with well thought out enemy placement, then a well designed final boss in a spider-filled castle. The game plays with your expectations and never let's you guess correctly what's around the corner. That makes it exciting. I can only imagine what this game has in store for us yet.

Feel free to gush shamelessly here and only here.

1 hour ago, x--KalashniiKoV_ said:

I love the game, in my opinion it is better than dark souls

I've seen some Dark Souls fans struggling to accept this game. One got in a salty argument with me online about this game. I think they're mainly PC fanboys that can't accept a ps exclusive of this calibre. We'll have to see how salty they will yet become.

I'm curious though. Why do you think this is better than Dark Souls?

I have seen many people who talk badly about the game because it is playstion exclusive title I am ashamed for these people ... I love the game because it is a mixture of dark souls and bloodborme but more bloodborne, the fighting system is really good, The possibilities of the combos, the game has many possibilities and I am now already excited about the dlc's

Wow, i misread the title at first and had some strange images going through my head,

On topic though, how is the game guys? I don't own it yet but it definetely looks interesting.

Does it look and play a lot like Dark Souls or is completely different?

5 minutes ago, x--KalashniiKoV_ said:

You can compare it with dark souls and bloodborne, if you love darks souls then you feel familiar with it :) I would advise you to play the Game in the future :) 

I'll maybe try it in the future when the price drops, now i'm looking forward to Horizon Zero Dawn to much

I think the loot/crafting system (which is very similar to Diablo3) makes it so much more fun than DS. Dont get me wrong , im a big DS fan , but Nioh was more exciting to play through. 

Im now in Endgame/NG+ and some boss fights are pretty hard.  But IMO its always fair .... you die because you make mistakes or greed. I very very rarly die because of  unfair situations. Play well and you get your victory.  

Oh and another plus side is the length.  I play it now for 50+ hours and still stu´ff to do .  DS3 was done in ~20h . (except all trophies .... NG+2 took a while ) .

I love it and i will still play it after Plat , maybe some challange runs? barehanded playthrough? or ninja/magic playthrough.

9 hours ago, lars9612 said:

On topic though, how is the game guys? I don't own it yet but it definetely looks interesting.

Does it look and play a lot like Dark Souls or is completely different?

It's phenomenal. There are some similarities to the Soulsborne games, but the game is equally as inspired by games like Onimusha, Ninja Gaiden, Bushido Blade and Diablo. People are doing it a huge disservice by describing it as a "Souls clone". What makes it similar to Souls is the stamina-based combat, the high risk high reward gameplay, the leveling system and the way everything resets when you visit the game's equivalent of bonfires or die. The combat is much more fast paced, even more so than Bloodborne. There's a looting system similar to Diablo or Borderlands. The world isn't one big place but separate replayable missions with a world map menu in between. It's a story-driven game, like Onimusha and there's no secret lore to be deciphered from item descriptions etc. If you enjoyed some of the games i mentioned, you're surely going to enjoy Nioh.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

I have to... :D

lel the japanese had it rough in the feudal era

8 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

It's phenomenal. There are some similarities to the Soulsborne games, but the game is equally as inspired by games like Onimusha, Ninja Gaiden, Bushido Blade and Diablo. People are doing it a huge disservice by describing it as a "Souls clone". What makes it similar to Souls is the stamina-based combat, the high risk high reward gameplay, the leveling system and the way everything resets when you visit the game's equivalent of bonfires or die. The combat is much more fast paced, even more so than Bloodborne. There's a looting system similar to Diablo or Borderlands. The world isn't one big place but separate replayable missions with a world map menu in between. It's a story-driven game, like Onimusha and there's no secret lore to be deciphered from item descriptions etc. If you enjoyed some of the games i mentioned, you're surely going to enjoy Nioh.

I frankly the developers just wanted to make a good game. They didn't want to be just like From Software. I don't think they even wanted to cater to the Souls audience. I think that's a good attitude to have.

• Like 1

imo combat is closer to Bloodborne than Dark Souls. I'm finding it easier and less punishing, but this is probably because I'm used to this style of game. 

Loving the Jap theme, the lore and RNG loot system. 

Co-op is much easier too. I do find boss fights to be a little laggy, but might be my connection. 

Just wish there was more variety of enemies. 

Anyway if you're a fan of either, definitely get it & git gud! 

13 hours ago, Greenshyguy said:

imo combat is closer to Bloodborne than Dark Souls. I'm finding it easier and less punishing, but this is probably because I'm used to this style of game. 

Loving the Jap theme, the lore and RNG loot system. 

Co-op is much easier too. I do find boss fights to be a little laggy, but might be my connection. 

Just wish there was more variety of enemies. 

Anyway if you're a fan of either, definitely get it & git gud! 

On the difficulty question, I think it isn't very interesting to debate whether or not this game is more or less difficult that souls-borne. The simple fact that it is comparable puts it aside the other more casual games on the market, and it lets this ever-growing sub-market of hard-core action games more and more relevant. Enemy variety does though appear to be a glaring weakness.

I loved playing Ninja/Samurai games on PS2 like Onimusha and Shinobi. In terms of the world design, Nioh's atmosphere really draws from these games and of course Ninja Gaiden as well. I'm playing the game in short bursts because I don't want to burn through it like I do most games and I want to take in everything, which I rarely do. I'm loving the combat a lot more than the Soulsborne games because it feels versatile and rewarding. I always make sure to make full use of my inventory and abilities from something as powerful as omnyo magic to something as simple as salt. The boss fights I've encountered so far weren't luck based, but rather a learning process. Similar to Soulsborne games you have to learn their attack patterns and determine when to strike however, Soulsborne had a lot of moments where I felt robbed of my victory because the boss just did something random or crazy in their last moments. I'm also really liking the characters and the story is not too bad. Early GOTY contender for me.

• Like 2

I've never been able to get into the souls games before.  I understand why they are fun but I found their speed a bit laborious for my taste.  Nioh fixes that. I can't overstate how much the games speed and fluidity has fixed the issues I had, even with Bloodborne.  

Thanks to the upgrade system I feel as though I am always progressing.  I also find my own skill level raising as I play more.   That happened with Bloodborne as well but not this fast.   I think BB's loadtimes had a lot to do with that. 

I never thought I would be able to get into this style of game but I can't put this one down atm.  

The setting also helps.  I really like the games location, style and atmosphere.  Like many others I love OniMusha and Ninja Gaiden.  This game captures the feel of those so well.

Well done Team Ninja.  Now go and work on DOA6 please :P

I liked it at first but grew rather tired of the game. I think I'm about halfway through (first story mission of fourth region) and it feels like a chore by now.

The same enemies are getting recycled all the time, there isn't much variety once you reach like the third main mission and while it's nice to get new gear constantly, there's rarely something better among it than what I'm already wearing.

I also don't like the leveldesign much, because most of it looks the same to me and it takes me forever to find my lost stuff again after getting killed by a cheap trap.

Overall it's an ok game, but I don't like it nearly as much as the Souls series or Bloodborne.

I'm enjoying it. hoping to plat. just a few side missions where you fight 2 bosses at one time might be a pain. also no idea what it is about them but I'm having major issues killing tengu more than anything else. tengu on its own should be a boss... ugh. 

also end game level gaps for levels are nuts. main is level 103. then 111. then 120. then 146. when am I going to level up 20 times in a single mission? especially because it takes half a million xp minimum after you reach level 108.

overall though I still am very much enjoying Nioh.

2 hours ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

I'm enjoying it. hoping to plat. just a few side missions where you fight 2 bosses at one time might be a pain. also no idea what it is about them but I'm having major issues killing tengu more than anything else. tengu on its own should be a boss... ugh. 

also end game level gaps for levels are nuts. main is level 103. then 111. then 120. then 146. when am I going to level up 20 times in a single mission? especially because it takes half a million xp minimum after you reach level 108.

overall though I still am very much enjoying Nioh.

Use the Sloth Talisman on the Raven Tengus. In fact, use it on everything you have trouble with. As for the mission levels, it mostly refers to your gear's levels l instead of the character level. Whatever the mission level is, enemies will drop and chests will contain gear of that level so you can catch up as long as you don't struggle too badly killing mobs. Also don't forget the blacksmith if you're not getting the drops you want.

Anyway, enemy and level variety are probably this game's biggest weaknesses but I still am really enjoying it after almost 90 hours. Hopefully the sequel will have a Souls-style world with much more enemy variety.

Edited by Killbomb

1 hour ago, MrNutz1 said:

Nioh is such an amazing game! Im still not finished yet, just beat the ogress. With the sloth talisman she was a breeze. What builds do you guys go with? I'm trying to make a Dex (Ninja) build and katana.

That's exactly the build I'm going with. I've had a blast with it so far, although I wish I'd make use of my kusarigama more often, as I'm rocking a full Iga Jonin set and the katana has a crazy good roll on it.