The final boss (Topaz) is possibly one of the most annoying ones I can think of

Superbuu3

Seriously its more than a little disconcerting when I google tips for a boss fight and the first thing I find is a thread talking about how no one can beat the boss (it was an old thread pre plus, I'm aware loads of ppl have done it now). I'm definitely not a fan of boss fights that go on this long as this I can get to phase 6 no trouble (which I think takes close to 3 minutes) then I randomly get hit by the yellow spawners on the edge, I've got past the a couple of times then get killed by something else. I rarely give up on a final boss but this one actually made me rage quit, which is something that rarely happens to me.

Just curious how many other people ended up giving up on this boss or how long it took those who endeavoured. I genuinely feel like I sank more time into this boss than the whole game. I'm definitely not going for the plat purely because how long its going to take and if I don't get the 3 stars on him in one go I'd be very wound up. Also from what I understand I would also have to beat hi again and 3 star him again in the coop mode (which effectively works out as solo as I doubt I could find anyone locally who'd be able to live very long on the final boss).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Do you have a maxed out turret? I used it defensively and that granted me victory 

I think I got orbs to max it guess I'll give it a shot.

So did you save your turret for the yellow things near the end, because that part is completely ridiculous, as they sometimes spawn right next to you. 

He's a bastard. An absolute bastard. But he can be beaten. 

I wrote out a fairly detailed strategy guide for all the main stages in my trophy guide for the PS4 version:

Spoiler

This trophy will pop once you have defeated the Topaz Boss and the screen showing your score and star rating has popped up.

Overall, this is a fairly difficult boss, which took me 2 hours of attempts to complete. You only get one life, but you have 2 bombs and 2 supers at your disposal.

This boss has 7 phases to his attacks. The boss has a separate life-bar at the top of the screen for each phase. Deplete the life-bar and the next phase will begin.

I used the Collect drone, with the Turret super, both fully upgraded. Please scroll down for a video example of your fearless writer defeating this boss.

Phase 1

The boss will slowly move towards you while spawning pinks, purples, blues and yellows. Just keep your fire concentrated on the boss and move slightly to avoid being hit by enemies. If you keep the fire on him, you should end this phase shortly after the wave of blues.  

Phase 2

The boss will re-shield and spawn a red barrier which is lethal if you hit it. He will then spawn a wave of oranges. Clear a corner for yourself as quickly as possible. Then comes a wave of snakes. I could have done better here, but you want to take out as many of them as possible before he spawns the greens that avoid your fire. These guys are easy to hit if you can trap them on a wall, so stick to the corners and don't let them surround you. After the green wave there are no more spawns in this phase so you are free to attack. Just look out for any rockets or other lurking enemies you may have missed on the other side of the field before you go for the boss.  

Phase 3

The boss will re-shield and spawn 4 sub-bosses. You need to take each of these out before you can attack the boss. The spawns change depending on how many sub-bosses are still on the field.   3.1 - with all 4 sub-bosses, they will spawn blues. These are easy enough, just make sure you take one of the sub-bosses out before too many waves are unleashed.   3.2 - with 3 sub-bosses, the spawn will be little oranges. This is a great chance to farm geoms if you are worried about score, but if you're using the collect drone you needn't worry. Travel in a circle around the map, concentrating on one of the sub bosses as you pass. I chose to take on the sub-boss in the corner opposite my first kill so that the next 2 sub-bosses, and their spawns are further apart.   3.3 - with just 2 left, the spawn will be greens again. This can be tough, and I highly recommend using a bomb and trying to take out one of the sub-bosses before a second wave of greens is spawned. As you can see in the video below, I failed to do this on this run, and a second wave of greens spawned.   3.4 - the final sub-boss will spawn pink diamonds. As you can see, my failure to kill the second-last sub-boss before he spawned a second wave of greens mean that I had to retreat and use another bomb. However, if you can, a good strategy is to stay some distance from the sub-boss and shoot directly in his direction. Your bullets would then take out all his pink spawns and you'd eventually kill him.   After all 4 sub-bosses are dealt with, you are free to attack the boss.  

Phase 4

The boss will put up his walls again, and spawn orange rockets, blues, the purple-blue bouncers (not seen in my run below), and eventually a wave of pinks. The strategy is similar to Phase 2. Keep a corner safe for yourself and hold out until the pink wave. After these guys the boss drops his walls and waits for your attack.  

Phase 5

The outer walls of the field will become deadly, so no more hiding on the edges. The boss will start to chase you too. Blues will spawn along each wall, so travel in a circle and shoot in the direction of travel to clear a gap in the blues to get outside their ring. Once you're outside of them, concentrate fire on the boss. Keep travelling in a circle and clearing your path and you'll get through this.

Phase 6

Yellows will pass through the level. Avoid them, clearing a path if you need to, and concentrate fire on the boss while moving in a circle. You want to get through this phase as quick as you can as it can be overwhelming, so feel free to use a super.  

Phase 7

You're almost there. This phase is similar to phase 5, but spawns can include purples and pinks as well as the blues. The density of spawned enemies is increased, the boss moves faster, and his walls change size, making him harder to hit. Essentially your strategy is the same as for Phase 5. Move in a circle, clear your path, get outside the enemies, then concentrate fire on the boss. Repeat.   I had a hairy moment at 5:24 in this run where I was sure I'd lost it, but I made it through! Try not to let that happen!  

Keen Adventurer (Defeating the Topaz Boss, with 3 stars) Video Guide

Credit to StickenBiged (me!) for the video.

• Like 2

It's just a matter of saving your power-ups (turrets/bombs) for that last phase, which is very doable once you've memorized the prior phases.

Oh yeah, and as mentioned, be careful as to not fuck up your timing or you'll have wasted a turret.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...