RE7 DLCs Feel Lazy

I loved the base game so much, it was excellent, and it was clear a lot of time and effort went into designing a superb game by Capcom, however after playing through the vast majority of the first Banned Footage DLC... The DLCs feel like Capcom got relatively lazy. Two of them are more or less mini-games one of which reminiscent of Mercenaries mode from RE4, 5 and 6. And Ethan Must Die is basically just some unfair challenge mode they made to pad the DLC to make it "feel" longer because you have to replay it like 30 times to learn everything you need to do to finish it. Even Bedroom is a lot of trial and error.

What I really find stupid is that Banned Footage Vol. 1 doesn't even introduce new areas or levels. They just literally took a location from the base game and changed a few things around and stuck the DLC in that tiny area. No new locations, literally just rehash what we already had. It feels really slapped together, and Ethan Must Die feels like padding to make the DLC seem worth it. Then I come to find that Banned Footage Vol. 2 which I haven't played just yet ALSO has a stupid mini-game add-on. That's basically 3 mini-game add ons already. RE4 had Assignment Ada sure, and Mercenaries Mode, but it also had Separate Ways which introduced new story and a new campaign.

Like I enjoyed Bedroom, but it basically just felt like a single puzzle. First Banned footage DLC doesn't really feel "worth it" and I am hoping the second is better shy of padding on ANOTHER mini-game. Ethan Must die feels ULTRA cheap though. It's just a trial and error run that requires dying over and over to learn what you have to do unless you look up a guide. Topped off with luck based item spawning, it's not really a rewarding experience to complete.

I love the game, but I REALLY hope Capcom makes this season pass feel more worth it.

The worse thing of all is that these DLC modes are extra modes that are usually found on a Resident Evil game but Capcom decided to cut them out to make some extra cash (not the first time they do this though). Not a Hero campaign which will be released on a few months will be action focused and will likely introduce new areas (this DLC is free). The third campaign that's been rumored to be on development right now is expected to be release around October - December will be an Horror one and will for sure introduce new areas and story elements (expect to pay some cash for this one).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Aranea Highwind said:

The worse thing of all is that these DLC modes are extra modes that are usually found on a Resident Evil game but Capcom decided to cut them out to make some extra cash (not the first time they do this though). Not a Hero campaign which will be released on a few months will be action focused and will likely introduce new areas (this DLC is free). The third campaign that's been rumored to be on development right now is expected to be release around October - December will be an Horror one and will for sure introduce new areas and story elements (expect to pay some cash for this one).

That totally slipped my mind. Yeah these DLCs would normally be freebies with the game. What sucks is the next "story" DLC we are getting is a freebie, which is nice but it sucks for those of us who bought the season pass that we get the fluff and those who didn't get the meat. Like the game is GREAT, but this once again proves Capcom doesn't know how to handle DLC as they have admitted in the past.

• Like 1

I'm on probably attempt 50 of Ethan Must Die. I can say it's totally just padding that they know will be justified by the "Git gud" crowd who praise unfair difficulty as the steeple of quality. Relatively disappointed that Capcom still hasn't figured out how to make good DLC that's actually worth money. Best they will claim that the Banned Footage Vol. 1 is "4+ hours of extra gameplay!" 3 of said hour just repeating Ethan Must Die over and over to get 1 stupid trophy.

18 minutes ago, yoamosilenthill said:

uh yes, why wouldn't they? the game was a success on sales (it was on the #1 spot of best selling games on the UK for 2-3 weeks straight) and it got really good reviews on every site, on top of that pretty much every popular youtuber has been playing it. if you haven't noticed it has also been on the top 3 of the "popular games this week" from PSNProfiles since it came out.

all that criticism about the 1st person camera was left behind once that the game came out and everyone saw how good and well made it actually is, a really truthful survival horror experience that we haven't seen on the franchise for like nearly a decade.

People always have to complain about everything and nothing! Complain because RE6 is "gears of war", "too much action" etc.. Now that the game has returned to have some horror they complain about first person camera, I was very critical at first because i thought the game was more of "outlast" but i was wrong! The game is fantastic and i love to play both dlc's and campaign

• Like 3

I somewhat agree that they're over kind of quick, however they deliver so much on the backstory of the bakers and Eveline. We're still going to get a free one with someone whose familiar for those who finished the game, and a new story one. So for me so far they're awesome, I mean I also love card games and imagine how fun 21 was for me, with a jigsaw twist :P

So fun, lol :)

3 hours ago, yoamosilenthill said:

uh yes, why wouldn't they? the game was a success on sales (it was on the #1 spot of best selling games on the UK for 2-3 weeks straight) and it got really good reviews on every site, on top of that pretty much every popular youtuber has been playing it. if you haven't noticed it has also been on the top 3 of the "popular games this week" from PSNProfiles since it came out.

all that criticism about the 1st person camera was left behind once that the game came out and everyone saw how good and well made it actually is, a really truthful survival horror experience that we haven't seen on the franchise for like nearly a decade.

2 hours ago, lll said:

People always have to complain about everything and nothing! Complain because RE6 is "gears of war", "too much action" etc.. Now that the game has returned to have some horror they complain about first person camera, I was very critical at first because i thought the game was more of "outlast" but i was wrong! The game is fantastic and i love to play both dlc's and campaign

Meh, I don't really feel like giving it a shot. It doesn't look that great to me. I played the demo on my PC and wasn't that impressed by it honestly. I don't know anyone personally that has played it so that's why I said that it was news to me that people were still interested in Resident Evil at this point. 

10 hours ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

I loved the base game so much, it was excellent, and it was clear a lot of time and effort went into designing a superb game by Capcom, however after playing through the vast majority of the first Banned Footage DLC... The DLCs feel like Capcom got relatively lazy. Two of them are more or less mini-games one of which reminiscent of Mercenaries mode from RE4, 5 and 6. And Ethan Must Die is basically just some unfair challenge mode they made to pad the DLC to make it "feel" longer because you have to replay it like 30 times to learn everything you need to do to finish it. Even Bedroom is a lot of trial and error.

What I really find stupid is that Banned Footage Vol. 1 doesn't even introduce new areas or levels. They just literally took a location from the base game and changed a few things around and stuck the DLC in that tiny area. No new locations, literally just rehash what we already had. It feels really slapped together, and Ethan Must Die feels like padding to make the DLC seem worth it. Then I come to find that Banned Footage Vol. 2 which I haven't played just yet ALSO has a stupid mini-game add-on. That's basically 3 mini-game add ons already. RE4 had Assignment Ada sure, and Mercenaries Mode, but it also had Separate Ways which introduced new story and a new campaign.

Like I enjoyed Bedroom, but it basically just felt like a single puzzle. First Banned footage DLC doesn't really feel "worth it" and I am hoping the second is better shy of padding on ANOTHER mini-game. Ethan Must die feels ULTRA cheap though. It's just a trial and error run that requires dying over and over to learn what you have to do unless you look up a guide. Topped off with luck based item spawning, it's not really a rewarding experience to complete.

I love the game, but I REALLY hope Capcom makes this season pass feel more worth it.

This is amazing insight, thank you man. I loved this game, for me it was the best entry in the franchise since RE4. I deliberately held off getting the season pass and/or DLC as a result. From what you described, it sounds like these DLC packs are just filler until an actual meaningful story DLC comes along.

5 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

This is amazing insight, thank you man. I loved this game, for me it was the best entry in the franchise since RE4. I deliberately held off getting the season pass and/or DLC as a result. From what you described, it sounds like these DLC packs are just filler until an actual meaningful story DLC comes along.

Yeah, I would wait until the next DLC comes out before dropping the money. These DLCs don't really add much substance to the game.

On 2/17/2017 at 7:16 PM, Crispy_Oglop said:

Glad you liked the game as much as i did, the best one since 4 for me too.

But i'll be honest the season pass( the one i got) is really worth it. Like i mentioned before, sure the dlcs are "over" rather quickly, however they add some great new modes and extra lore on the bakers, which is to me the best new addition for the series in forever. Apart from all of this we will still get a free and a new story one, so in the end is worth it, at least in my opinion.

This mode for example, took me lots of tries and was really fun, reminded me of akumu at some point on the awesome evil within.

2 hours ago, Mah2c said:

But i'll be honest the season pass( the one i got) is really worth it. Like i mentioned before, sure the dlcs are "over" rather quickly, however they add some great new modes and extra lore on the bakers, which is to me the best new addition for the series in forever. Apart from all of this we will still get a free and a new story one, so in the end is worth it, at least in my opinion.

This mode for example, took me lots of tries and was really fun, reminded me of akumu at some point on the awesome evil within.

The thing is though, most of these "modes" in previous Resident Evils were included as end game unlocks.

Also most of the DLCs so far are just cheap crap that force you to replay over and over because they are unfair by design, and specifically designed to force you to replay them over and over and over to complete. The maps in most of these DLCs are just rehashed from the base game. It's lazy to the 10th degree. This is one of the worst season passes I've ever bought so far, look at how a GOOD season pass is done:

Dying Light's season pass introduced 3 new areas to the game, new weapons, new items, and an ENTIRE NEW CAMPAIGN with The Following, which it gave to you at a discounted price if you bought the season pass. You even got more leveling you could do. It added hours of legitimate content instead of just crap that forces you to replay again and again to actually finish.

I was foolish and trusted Capcom to deliver good DLC, but I should have known better than to trust Capcom whom has such a long history of bad DLC practices to where they even admitted their poor DLC handling.

3 hours ago, Mah2c said:

It does look fun, I will definitely get all of the DLC for this, i'm mainly debating on whether it's currently worth it to buy a full price season pass for the dlc that currently stands.

44 minutes ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

The thing is though, most of these "modes" in previous Resident Evils were included as end game unlocks.

Also most of the DLCs so far are just cheap crap that force you to replay over and over because they are unfair by design, and specifically designed to force you to replay them over and over and over to complete. The maps in most of these DLCs are just rehashed from the base game. It's lazy to the 10th degree. This is one of the worst season passes I've ever bought so far, look at how a GOOD season pass is done:

Dying Light's season pass introduced 3 new areas to the game, new weapons, new items, and an ENTIRE NEW CAMPAIGN with The Following, which it gave to you at a discounted price if you bought the season pass. You even got more leveling you could do. It added hours of legitimate content instead of just crap that forces you to replay again and again to actually finish.

I was foolish and trusted Capcom to deliver good DLC, but I should have known better than to trust Capcom whom has such a long history of bad DLC practices to where they even admitted their poor DLC handling.

I understand what you're saying, but we can't compare a game like resident evil 7 to a open world game like dying light. Witcher 3 was the best for me when it comes to content vs price but again, I couldn't compare that one with re7.

Hopefully the last dlc gives you something good, would be a shame to ruin the great experience you had with the main game. 

1 minute ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

It does look fun, I will definitely get all of the DLC for this, i'm mainly debating on whether it's currently worth it to buy a full price season pass for the dlc that currently stands.

The season pass, so far there's one for 15 and another one for 10 making 25. I'm pretty sure the last story one will be at least 14 dollars leading to a ~13 dollars save at least.

3 hours ago, Mah2c said:

I understand what you're saying, but we can't compare a game like resident evil 7 to a open world game like dying light. Witcher 3 was the best for me when it comes to content vs price but again, I couldn't compare that one with re7.

We can in terms of giving the player content for their money. RE7's DLC is mega lazy:

• All the DLC so far is rehashed maps and levels of the base game, nothing new to explore. The developers couldn't be bothered making new areas, so they just gave us more of the same areas slightly altered. That's acceptable in maybe one or two of the DLC items, but every single one? The only one I guess you could "claim" was a new area is 21, but it's literally one dark room where you can't see anything in said room and you never leave said room.
  • 4 minigames. Out of the 6 pieces of content we got, we got 4 minigames. Minigames were included in the older REs with the base game as a "Beat the game" reward. So literally they just hunked off stuff that was freebies in the base game and threw it in.
  • MINIMAL story or extra information added from all the DLCs so far.
  • One of the DLCs, Daughters literally takes about 12 minutes to finish... That's not even speed running either. It's literally a walking simulator where you just roam around the house and avoid enemies for a few minutes and to make it seem "longer" they made a "bad ending" to get so you have to play it twice to see both.
  • Speaking of "play it twice" that's basically what all the minigame DLCs do to make the game "seem" longer. Many of them are unfair by design. Night Terror for example, is designed to where you can't beat the harder "Nightmare" mode until you unlock more stuff to work with, forcing you to play multiple times to grind points. Same goes for Jack's 55th Birthday, and Ethan Must Die is literally just a trial and error run designed to force you to play many many many times to complete what is actually a 20 minute run. It's fake difficulty, added to give the illusion that you're getting your money's worth because "Hey look how many hours you've sunk into it!" It's only point of existing is to take advantage of completionists who wants 100%.
  • The first "story" DLC is actually going to be free, which is kind of a kick in the nuts to those of us who paid for the season pass.
  • Ethan Must Die is pretty much aimed at the hardcore crowd who praise unfair difficulty like it's the second coming. People who scream that anyone who doesn't like insane difficulty is just not good at games.

When you look at what a game like Dying Light did with its season pass, you can clearly see they cared far more about giving the player enough for their money's worth without padding it. Hell, even Fallout 3 did with its 5 DLCs being basically new campaigns with new story, areas, weapons, etc. Taking LEGITIMATELY 2-3 hours to complete and not because they were designed to be unfair to force you to play multiple times to actually get through them.

This is kind of shitty when you think about it.

3 hours ago, Mah2c said:

The season pass, so far there's one for 15 and another one for 10 making 25. I'm pretty sure the last story one will be at least 14 dollars leading to a ~13 dollars save at least.

Except many of us would not have bought these two DLCs had we known they were just going to be padding and minigames. So for those of us who didn't like the first two DLCs, that $13 saving doesn't really exist. Honestly, had I known the DLCs would be this crappy, I would have skipped them and just got the final one when it came out which is actual story content.

Capcom clearly doesn't know how to do DLC, they've proved that over the years look at how terrible they've done it thus far:

• RE6 literally locking out entire multiplayer modes as DLC.
  • On Disk DLC, which basically translates to: we literally locked content out of the game to force you to buy it later.
  • Locking Vs. Mode in RE5 behind DLC.
  • Pulling DLC off the stores ENTIRELY making it impossible to get the DLC for some of their older titles, sometimes doing so as early as 2 years after a game's release such as the case of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom.
  • To releasing terrible DLC such as the infamous Dead Rising 3 DLC packs which received insanely low scores from review sites and players.
  • Also not including parts of DLC as the season pass such as the case with Dead Rising 3.
  • Capcom has even admitted before that their mishandling of DLC has harmed them in the past.

Honestly, I wanted to hold out hope that MAYBE they learned something, but I am a fool for trusting them. They can deliver a decent base game, but it seems as though DLC has poisoned them.

On 2/17/2017 at 11:24 AM, yoamosilenthill said:

highly disagree with this comment and people who upvoted it. im sure your comment will be a one off but i see alot of people have this mentality so heres why none of what you said makes sense atleast to people who dont like 7

first of all: the game has not been announced as a success the latest statement i heard from capcom is better than expected if you look at it from a numbers stand point to be successful it would atleast have to hit 4M in sales to say otherwise capcom would be lying big time you mention that RE7 was best selling in UK for 2-3 weeks but notice how its only the UK and not to mention the fact that 5 and 6 did better in their first weeks and still hold supreme over 7s now you could defend this all you want by saying but fans they were so heartbroken that 6 did so bad which is a load of bull. people who hated 6 are the  ones usually wanting to purchase 7 back on topic 7 has decent sales right now and how it did first week isnt so special when you compare it to most games now a days or even in  its own series 

#2:cough cough only number 3 though and the game is still fresh... this game will not be for the long run and by a couple of months i guarantee it will drop off the list or be at the bottom 3. compare this to games like uncharted 4 a game which has been on this list for months you will see re7 drop soon enough..

#3: the reason it gets good reviews are because of two things.. one, money most review sites will get paid for positive reviews..two,nostalgia since the game has some creepy atmosphere and is set similarly to re1s style people will praise it but really think about it would it really make a difference if you just walked through the door instead of doing a easy ass puzzle the only puzzle really worth praising is the shadow portrait one which is done count em 3 different times in game its like they couldnt  create a well crafted puzzle and when they did they were like lets do it a few more times  also ammo management felt like nothing most of your bullets only counted when you first got a gun and even then you dint have repercussions (exception is madhouse difficulty) 

#4: youtubers are irrelevant to how good a game is especially ones that are not hardcore videogamers most of these youtubers are just like capcom in a way capitalizing on popular things like the outlast or PT people saw how good their views were with these games and saw that 7 was nearly identical but with guns so of course they capitalized on their fanbase most of these other supposed youtubers are either ones who play all types of games all the time, who love resident evil as a franchise or they get viewers to vote on their next play through 

IM not claiming this is why everybody hates re7 but i feel like these are just a few things that make people not like 7 and this is why i personally agree that 7 is very good at all some of these examples i dint even go in depth especially on things like the atrocious amount of enemies in this game correct me if im wrong but this game has little to no enemy variation `and no i dont count blobs that have different abilities especially when its such a lazy design that you call each one different 

9 hours ago, Aranea Highwind said:

Capcom has just confirmed the rumored DLC that is coming sometime during October - December. Like i previously said this DLC will be horror focused and will feature new story, enemies, characters, location, etc.

C5ONPEDVcAAzsKT.jpg

I'm really hoping that DLC makes the season pass "worth it", but I have a feeling it's just going to make me wish I only bought that and skipped the other DLCs.