Sony files patent for what looks like a new handheld

ratchetdude231

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/17/sony-files-patent-for-what-looks-like-a-switch-esque-handheld

It looks like Sony may be taking cues from Nintendo, as the PlayStation manufacturer has filed a patent for what looks like a new Switch-inspired handheld device.

As spotted by NeoGAF user ponpo, the patent was filed back in 2015 but was only just recently published. While the controller pieces on the side look as though they may be detachable, they aren't explicitly shown as being removable from the device.

This news is rather interesting. A lot of the people I have seen talk about this seem to be comparing it to the Switch, and while the similarities are definitely there I also think the Switch is pretty similar to the various gaming tablets on the market.

Image result for Sony new handheld patent

What I think is even more interesting is that the possibility of Sony making a new handheld is definitely there now. For the past couple years I have felt that the chances of Sony making a new handheld were slim, but as someone who would be interested in another handheld from Sony I would love for them to release another one. Hopefully this patent is a sign that we are definitely getting a new handheld within the next 2 to 3 years. 

Edited by ratchetdude231
  • Like 1

Looks gawky as all hell to hold. 

Despite my love for the PSP and Vita, I just don't know why Sony would try another handheld again considering how lukewarm of a reception both had outside of Japan, especially Vita. This honestly looks like an apparatus where you pop your phone in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

WTF is this shit? Why can't the VITA get some love and the AAA games it deserves? We all know it has the power to run them.

This is exactly why I wouldn't understand Sony trying again. Once PS4 became a huge success, Sony was like "Lol see ya later, kid" to the Vita and stopped all first party development soon after. It's literally being kept alive by JRPGs like PSP before it.

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

JRPGs didn't keep the psp alive, the massive piracy due to the CFW being released is what sold the systems

As far as retail releases go though through PSP's last couple of years.

CFW is what helped kill most game development for the system and having people buy it, yes.

Edited by Death_Ninja

23 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

WTF is this shit? Why can't the VITA get some love and the AAA games it deserves? We all know it has the power to run them.

This, so much this. I'm actually surprised Sony would attempt another handheld considering how fast they pulled the plug on the Vita support.

• Like 3

This looks interesting but I think I will wait out on getting excited yet. Sony has historically made the same mistakes with each system, the biggest being incredibly overpriced proprietary memory. While pawn shops have been my best source of finding vita memory at an affordable cost, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Sony to learn from their mistakes.

Would love it if it played digital PS3 titles but not if I'm paying an extra $100+ for 32GB of memory.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

Or at least let Spyro and Crash be downloaded onto the Vita, like with PSP. :(

10 minutes ago, Sly Ripper said:

Looks like a smartphone attachment.

Well with all these kiddos growing up with smartphones nowadays, using that model may be Sony's way of easing the transition from a mobile device to the handheld. 

Now this I was not expecting! Not after the travesty that was the Vita (rest in peace sweet child). This looks pretty clunky to be honest. I can't imagine Sony following this through to market really, probably just a prototype. 

16 minutes ago, ArmoredSquirreXD said:

Or at least let Spyro and Crash be downloaded onto the Vita, like with PSP. :(

The PSone Classics work on Vita (and PS TV for that matter) in the PAL region, I can't understand why they're blocked in NTSC territories. It must be some sort of licencing issue because there's clearly no technical reason. 

Edited by dell9300

1 hour ago, Death_Ninja said:

This is exactly why I wouldn't understand Sony trying again. Once PS4 became a huge success, Sony was like "Lol see ya later, kid" to the Vita and stopped all first party development soon after. It's literally being kept alive by JRPGs like PSP before it.

I am of the mindset that if there is anyone that is crazy enough to make another handheld it's Sony. I am seeing a lot of comparisons between this and the Nintendo Switch, but unlike with Nintendo the PS4 is dominating the market. The Wii U did so poorly that Nintendo made a system that was both a console and a handheld. 

For now this is just a patent, but I think what will determine if we see another handheld from Sony or not is if the Nintendo Switch is successful. The handheld market is slowly dying, but if the Switch is successful I could see Sony releasing another handheld and trying again.

Edited by ratchetdude231

17 minutes ago, dell9300 said:

Now this I was not expecting! Not after the travesty that was the Vita (rest in peace sweet child). This looks pretty clunky to be honest. I can't imagine Sony following this through to market really, probably just a prototype. 

The PSone Classics work on Vita (and PS TV for that matter) in the PAL region, I can't understand why they're blocked in NTSC territories. It must be some sort of licencing issue because there's clearly no technical reason. 

The PSone classics work on the vita in the NTSC region too, crash and spyro just happen to not be available for purchase on the vita store

3 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I am of the mindset that if there is anyone that is crazy enough to make another handheld it's Sony. I am seeing a lot of comparisons between this and the Nintendo Switch, but unlike with Nintendo the PS4 is dominating the market. The Wii U did so poorly that Nintendo made a system that was both a console and a handheld. 

For now this is just a patent, but I think what will determine if we see another handheld from Sony or not is if the Nintendo Switch is successful. The handheld market is slowly dying, but if the Switch is successful I could see Sony releasing another handheld. 

While a new dedicated handheld device from them could very well be a possibility, Sony is eyeing the mobile market as they announced that they plan to release more games for phones. Looks like they are going to test that market first.