Sony files patent for what looks like a new handheld

ratchetdude231

49 minutes ago, dell9300 said:

Now this I was not expecting! Not after the travesty that was the Vita (rest in peace sweet child). This looks pretty clunky to be honest. I can't imagine Sony following this through to market really, probably just a prototype. 

The PSone Classics work on Vita (and PS TV for that matter) in the PAL region, I can't understand why they're blocked in NTSC territories. It must be some sort of licencing issue because there's clearly no technical reason. 

The reason is because Sony is asshole :( If only could put two accounts on one vita, I could just rebuy the Spyro trilogy on a europe account and relive my childhood :(

2 hours ago, Death_Ninja said:

As far as retail releases go though through PSP's last couple of years.

CFW is what helped kill most game development for the system and having people buy it, yes.

While I won't entirely disagree, I think that it is a convenient excuse to blame piracy.

the Vita has been relatively immune to piracy (certainly the wide spread scale that plagued the PSP), but there are very few AAA games outside of Japan, and it is being kept afloat by cross platform indies over here (not that that is necessarily bad....)

Sony didn't market it, didn't support it, and has all but abandoned it, and they can't hide behind piracy as the cause this time around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

Their Vita relocation program video is hilarious lol.

Haha, yup. I love those guys. They're huge advocates for the Vita which you don't often see with "internet personalities" or whatever you want to call them. Let's not forget that Vita island wouldn't exist without them either. :giggle:

• Like 1

:facepalm:OMG! It's Playstation 5!

Trying to hide that big development SONY! haha

Nothing can contain it!

lyWrrAQ.gif

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

PSP- Burn me once

PS Move - Burn me twice

PS Vita - Burn me thrice

Whatever the hell this thing is - Not a chance in hell. ? Don't get me wrong I loved my psp and vita but in both cases Sony did not give them the support they needed because they didn't have incredible sales numbers. So just like I did with PSVR I will not purchase this item for a couple years until I know for a fact Sony won't pull all support for something all over again.

I'll believe it when I see it. Personally I'd buy one, if they marketed it as a portable indie machine, niche Japanese system. And left it at that, maybe it'd get some western games for awhile, and a couple 2nd party games for awhile. But, I think the handheld market is too small in the west for Sony these days. And they need to go after the market that is there.

Which is niche. And Japan is too in love with handhelds and  mobile to ignore. [plz Sony, stop with the mobile... I didn't want this for Wild Arms. Stawp it.]

3 hours ago, serialkilla1987 said:

PSP- Burn me once

PS Move - Burn me twice

PS Vita - Burn me thrice

Whatever the hell this thing is - Not a chance in hell. ? Don't get me wrong I loved my psp and vita but in both cases Sony did not give them the support they needed because they didn't have incredible sales numbers. So just like I did with PSVR I will not purchase this item for a couple years until I know for a fact Sony won't pull all support for something all over again.

PSP had a lot of support for years... and it sold over 70 million against Nintendo, who literally crushed every other competitor that attempted to enter the handheld market...

And contrary to popular opinion, exclusives and first party are not what most people buy systems for. Which is why the biggest games and franchises are 3rd party, multiplatform titles. That's what most people care about. And people also ignore that Sony actually did support Vita, and it's launch had tons of First and Second Party games day 1, and the first year.

People have no idea what the real problems of the Vita were, they just repeat the meme of no games endlessly.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

This...

looks...

like...

shit.

I get this is just blueprint, but this looks even more fragile than Switch. And Switches will be breaking like glass for sure.

We have seen what happened with Vita 2 announcement on TGS (or better said, didn't happen). Until it gets actual confirmation, no reason to expect it's valid.

And seriously, does Sony want a new handheld when Vita is perfect :awesome: after non-Japan fail and when they have PS4?

Maybe when PS4 stops being absolute priority, new handheld may have a chance.

6 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

If this really is the design for a Vita 2, I feel like this video represents my excitement pretty well. :giggle:

Wait... you Englishmans are calling V-I-T-A Viiiiiiida? Wut the hell? xD

4 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Personally I'd buy one, if they marketed it as a portable indie machine, niche Japanese system. And left it at that, maybe it'd get some western games for awhile, and a couple 2nd party games for awhile. But, I think the handheld market is too small in the west for Sony these days. And they need to go after the market that is there.

Which is niche. And Japan is too in love with handhelds and  mobile to ignore. [plz Sony, stop with the mobile... I didn't want this for Wild Arms. Stawp it.]

PSP had a lot of support for years... and it sold over 70 million against Nintendo, who literally crushed every other competitor that attempted to enter the handheld market...

And contrary to popular opinion, exclusives and first party are not what most people buy systems for. Which is why the biggest games and franchises are 3rd party, multiplatform titles. That's what most people care about. And people also ignore that Sony actually did support Vita, and it's launch had tons of First and Second Party games day 1, and the first year.

People have no idea what the real problems of the Vita were, they just repeat the meme of no games endlessly.

As I said I enjoyed my vita and thought it had several good titles, but they cut support way too fast for it to justify the purchase that I made at launch. And yes psp sold a lot better but there were very few titles that I personally cared for. Buying both systems in my personal opinion was a bad choice. Just as if I had bought a PS Pro or PSVR I would also consider them bad purchases for me. If another gamer has the expendable income to buy these items and feel they were worth it then more power to them. However, not everyone has the extra income.

Edited by serialkilla1987

12 hours ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

WTF is this shit? Why can't the VITA get some love and the AAA games it deserves? We all know it has the power to run them.

I never really understood this. Instead of saying "we're not making games for it because people aren't buying it", they should have just made more games for it so people would have bought it. Also, that Vita grip for people with big hands should have been advertised way more because I only found out about it after I already sold my Vita again.

My opinion on the news:

Even if it's true, I don't use handheld consoles that often. The Switch will be the first one I use extensively and that's because I can just continue on whatever I was playing on my television console. I even sold my Vita because I just know I would never use it any more after I'd get the Switch.

I've never owned more than one handheld console at a time because the moments when I really use it are so few and far between. The Switch will fill my needs for the forseeable future so if Sony wants me to buy a new handheld of theirs after how they treated the Vita, it had better come with a shitton of awesome games in its library before I take the leap.

This new thing looks way more comfortable for my hands than the Vita, though.

11 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I would love to be proven wrong. The Vita is one of my favourite gaming devices like ever, so I would jump at the chance to buy the successor to it. I'm just not convinced this is it.

This is exactly how I feel. I love my Vita and I'd love a successor to the Vita if it actually gets the support it deserves.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric said:

Maybe it's just a controller to continue playing when the tv gets occupied otherwise. Like the WiiU and Switch have.

Fixed ;)

Also, the Vita can already do that so what's the use of another one? Unless it's explicitly only useable as a handheld television for the PS4 and as such, a lot cheaper than a Vita...

... On second thought, if it was just that then I'd probably get one.

So a similar Switch Copy? Then hopefully it stays as a project like in the last year! 

I don't actually like it, plus as somebody already said i think Vita will be Sony last Handheld console Because well the world is pure Shit where a Phone shitty game like candy crush could be plaied and sell more because it's on a phone than Persona 4 Golden or Killzone Mercneray or Gravity Rush or Uncharted: GA because this are on a specific gaming console....

3 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Wait... you Englishmans are calling V-I-T-A Viiiiiiida? Wut the hell? xD

Most Americans soften the letter "t" everywhere except the beginning of a word to sound more like "d". Especially when it's a "song" where the words need to blend together well. Proper enunciation is more of a British thing... in fact I wouldn't be surprised if some of our British friends said "Vye-ta" just to be different. :P

I'm not getting excited or disappointed about this thing, since I highly doubt it's going to see the light of day. I would love a new Sony portable if they're going to support it longer this time. But I have plenty of games on the Vita for the near future. I still have lots of games in my backlog, not even counting all the PSP games I still need to play. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Most Americans soften the letter "t" everywhere except the beginning of a word to sound more like "d". Especially when it's a "song" where the words need to blend together well. Proper enunciation is more of a British thing... in fact I wouldn't be surprised if some of our British friends said "Vye-ta" just to be different. :P

Shouldn't have read this as I'm a person that's prone for haunting melodies just by reading one single word. Now I will have to deal with Ricky Martin's Livin' la Vida Loca for the next few hours... :|