Will 2017 Finally Be The Year? (For games)

Crzy Minus

And like the title suggest, not for politics, or the climate or whatever is going on where else. But For Games.

I've been reading about how this has been like the worst generation of games in general, he haven't had a year of amazing game after amazing game like we did in 2011 or 2007 in quite awhile (although 2013 came up to be very close to) Ever since the PS4 and Xbox One released, like we haven't had that much of a strong lineup of games. Those include very bland new IP's, more of the same of what you already knew, and just disappointments.

Let's have a look at 2014 for example: Basically the first year for both the PS4 and Xbox One, we had Watch Dogs, Destiny and Titanfall 1. These games were considered to be very weak IP's unlike the ones of past generation. We had more of the same like The Last of Us Remastered, Grand Theft Auto V getting re-release and a bunch other ports of last gen-games and so on. IMO 2014 was a pretty poor year for games, embarrassingly enough it was the same year the Wii U go killer exclusives like Smash 4 and Bayonetta 2 but spoiler, those weren't enough to save the system later on.

2015 was a slightly better year: Games like Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid V and The Witcher 3 got a lot of attention just for being brand new takes on an existing franchise but it worked. You still had a few disappointments here and there but it was a little boost from there.

2016 was more so the same: You got some games that got some good attention, but now from more disappointments to a few improvements. You got games like Titanfall 2 and Watch Dogs 2, two sequels of games that were regarded as disappointments but in reality managed to get attention for being better games. Then you got disappointments like Tom Clancy's The Division and Mafia III, games that tried to go for something that was already popular and didn't really go there. Then we have No Man's Sky, considered as the ultimate example of disappointing games, which proved to people of why you shouldn't hype a game as much. 2016 was also a good year for the PS4 imo, if not a very strong one. Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian being excellent examples of the variety of games you could play on the platform, while the Xbox One didn't showed as much variety but still showed games like Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 (games that you can also play on PC). Of course you still had your Battlefields and Call of Duties, a bunch of more ports of last gen games and sadly it was the dying year of the Wii U as a game like Star Fox Zero couldn't suffice for the platform.

Now

We're into 2017, and here's why I think things will get much better from here:

With January alone already starting off very promising, Resident Evil VII being a good take on the RE formula at last, Yakuza 0 being a great brawler with a good story and sense of humor, Tales of Berseria being considered as the best Tales of game in quite awhile, Gravity Rush 2, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, etc etc etc. Followed by February with Nioh, and now Horizon Zero Dawn which both received great reviews, as well as both months showing further the variety of games the PS4 has as actual exclusives unlike the Xbox One, and there's even more to come for the PS4 (I know Microsoft confirmed they are saving a lot of shit especially for Project Scorpio, but who knows really)(Also Scalebound was cancelled early this year too). Then next month its March with stuff like the new Ghost Recon and Mass Effect, and most importantly Nintendo's new chance of becoming relevant again. With their new console release and new Legend of Zelda title as a fresh start. Then from here on we have other games like Nier Automata, Persona 5, Yooka-Laylee, Prey, etc etc etc. And that's just in the span of 5 months from the start of the year, then later on we'll have Red Dead Redemption 2, Destiny 2 (hoping that's it a Titanfall 2 scenario on that one), Super Mario Odyssey, South Park, hell those Crash Bandicoot remakes as well, and much much more that hasn't been announced yet. But when the stuff we already had this year has been great so far, the upcoming stuff in the few months that's shaping out to be great, and the way later games coming out this year. 

If they manage to pull it off, if they honestly manage to keep this momentum through out the year with all of this. Then I'll think that 2017 will be a great year for video games and the best one of this generation without a doubt.

What do you guys think? 2017 in gaming in general. What are your hopes and if you agree with my points? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Edited by Crzy Minus
  • Like 1

I think you're being a bit pessimistic about the last couple of years. 2015 and 2016 were very strong years which saw some great games released. You're being particularly harsh on 2016, where you have missed out some absolute smash hits like DOOM and Overwatch. 2016 was not "more so the same", IMO. Personally, I think it was one of the strongest years in gaming we've had in a while.

Only a month and 3 weeks into 2017 and it might be a bit early to start declaring it the best year ever. However, the releases so far do give me a lot of hope. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

I think you're being a bit pessimistic about the last couple of years. 2015 and 2016 were very strong years which saw some great games released. You're being particularly harsh on 2016, where you have missed out some absolute smash hits like DOOM and Overwatch. 2016 was not "more so the same", IMO. Personally, I think it was one of the strongest years in gaming we've had in a while.

Only a month and 3 weeks into 2017 and it might be a bit early to start declaring it the best year ever. However, the releases so far do give me a lot of hope. 

2016: The Last Guardian, Watch_Dogs 2 (much better than the first), Bound, DOOM, Uncharted 4 (big improvement on the others in my eyes), Ratchet & Clank, Day Of The Tentacle, Unravel, LEGO Star Wars The Force Awakens.

2015: Just Cause 3, Super Star Wars, Guitar Hero Live, Mad Max, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, Batman Arkham Knight, LEGO Jurassic World, Bloodborne, The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt.

2014: The Crew, Alien: Isolation, Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor, Velocity 2X, Hohokum, The Swapper, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Rayman Legends, South Park: The Stick Of Truth.

I think we've had some nice years. Note that this is ONLY games I've played myself, there's much more to be found.

2017 wins though on account of Switch, Zelda, Mario, Fractured Butthole, Yooka-Laylee, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Snipperclips, and more. But the other years were not bad by a long shot.

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

2017 wins though on account of Switch, Zelda, Mario, Fractured Butthole, Yooka-Laylee, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Snipperclips, and more. But the other years were not bad by a long shot.

You haven't played any of these. A bit early to declare victory, don't you think?

• Like 2

Just now, StrickenBiged said:

You haven't played any of these. A bit early to declare victory, don't you think?

I have complete confidence in the Switch, Zelda and Fractured Butthole. I have much confidence in the rest I mention. Yes I've been burned before (coughnomansskycoughcough) but it doesn't feel like that will happen with these games, except maybe Yooka-Laylee because it's a VERY thin line they have to walk across.

Also, personally with "wins" I'm mainly talking about games to be excited for in advance. If I would cross off the games on my previous list about which I wasn't excited ahead of time, this would remain:

2016: Day Of The Tentacle.

2015: Just Cause 3, Super Star Wars, Batman Arkham Knight.

2014: .

Compared to that, 2017 is a huge deal for me in terms of games I'm excited about before they're even released.

Maybe every game isn't a winner, but each year has its stars as you have pointed out.  I agree the hype gets out of control trying to make a bad game good. Unfortunately, games are expensive and I've gotten to where I wait for the rest of the gamers to give the REAL opinion on a game before I buy it.  I do admit that I will probably buy RDR2 before it is released, and probably GT Sport.  

Been thinking about this today actually. While I did find 2014 to be a crappy year for everyone except Nintendo, 2015 and 2016 were great years that saw the releases of game such as Bloodborne, Witcher III, Overwatch, DOOM, etc. 

Although we're still in early 2017, so far the lineup of games such as Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, and Horizon is pretty sweet and makes me excited for the rest of the release this year such as Persona 5, Nier: Automata, GT Sport, and more.

7 hours ago, StrickenBiged said:

Yes, Doom and Overwatch were also great in 2016. But aside a few others, it was pretty much it.

I definitely feel like this generation has been picking up since last year. 2016 was personally a good year for me, but I can agree about 2014 being a mess and it being somewhat of a meh year. 2015 wasn't bad, but not too many games I was interested in, and most were indies. Only AAA stuff I recall getting from that year was The Order: 1886, Lego Jurassic World, Until Dawn, Just Cause 3, and Tearaway: Unfolded.

But I'm definitely optimistic about this year. We're getting great games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, NioH, Nier: Automata, etc. and it definitely feels like it'll be a great year. And also the PS4 already has been getting some great exclusives, which is a bonus. Hoping we'll get an abundance of both great AAA and indies. :)

2017 is the year. We have had great years this generation particularly with 2015 having games like The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne, but I feel like 2017 will, at the very least, be one of the best years for gaming this generation. It's because we're getting new IPs that are either refining their genre with games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, and Zelda or providing an entirely new experience with games like NieR Automata and For Honor. We've also got established franchises releasing new entries that really capture what made the particular game a franchise in the first place with games like Yakuza 0 and Resident Evil 7. As a player of fighting games, it also seems like we are getting some very polished titles that are continuing the current generation of fighting games with games like Tekken 7 and Injustice 2. To me, 2017 is the year for gaming this generation because not only are we getting some great titles, we are also getting some truly revitalizing gaming experiences. 

On 20/02/2017 at 0:31 PM, StrickenBiged said:

I've played Switch, Zelda, Snipperclips and Fast RMX now and I'm ready to declare victory :D

Zelda is an amazing game. I thought other people were exaggerating but it may indeed dethrone Ocarina for me as best game ever.

Snipperclips is a lot of fun and gives me the faith that the Switch will be used much more by me and the missus than just another LEGO game.

Fast RMX... Wow, I finally have that new F-Zero title I've been wanting for so long. No exaggeration, this is a current gen version of F-Zero and it's one of the best looking Switch launch games. And that for a game that's smaller in size than Snipperclips... The devs are geniuses.

As said before, I don't think the previous years were bad for gaming at all but for me it's a huge deal that there's a new Nintendo console I can be wowed by. I liked the GameCube in the end and I tolerated the Wii but I never bought the WiiU, the Switch is right up there for me with thw SNES and the N64. That's a big deal and that's why, while I don't agree that the last years were shit, I do agree with the OP that it's getting better, starting now.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Seriously don't we have a thread like this every year?

Every year we keep hearing that it's going to be the year to rock our socks off. Gaming hasn't had a consistently *bad* year in quite some time, so no I don't think this year will be particularly off the chart. Will just be another good year.

43 minutes ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

Seriously don't we have a thread like this every year?

Every year we keep hearing that it's going to be the year to rock our socks off. Gaming hasn't had a consistently *bad* year in quite some time, so no I don't think this year will be particularly off the chart. Will just be another good year.

Yeah, but this year is different :awesome:

Honestly though, personally I don't think we've had some bad years (on the contrary, things keep getting better) but I'm super pumped for 2017 because of the Switch (with Zelda/Mario/Yooka-Laylee/FastRMX/Kart/Snipperclips/etc) and because of PS4 titles like Horizon Zero Dawn, Fractured Butthole (hopefully) and Assassin's Creed (if Ubi manages to make me more excited about a new title than "just another one"). It's been years since I wanted to have so many games day one, and a lot of what makes this year better than normal for me is because of the new Nintendo system.

There's no doubt about it, 2017 is the best year for videos ever. I think 2011 was the last time a lot of great titles came out in one year. 

These are just the games that interest me: 

Persona 5

Tales of  Berseria

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 Remix

Yakuza 0

Horizon Zero Dawn

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy Remasters

Nioh

Gravity Rush 2

Danganronpa 1 2 Reload

Danganronpa V3