How difficult really?

Jaguargenie

So Darkest Dungeon is on sale starting today and I'm considering picking it up. The Plat is a .98% ultra rare. The average completion is only 21% but a lot of the trophies look like they could just be earned from playing the game the way it was intended. 

Is this a case of it being super difficult or people just playing a bit and then bailing because of the inherent difficulty? 

It's a great game, you should get it.

I imagine people play it, a couple of characters die and they give up. RNG can and will screw you over, and if you make bad decisions you will be punished for them most likely.

The length probably comes from collecting the Ancestor's Trinkets, which either RNG show up as rewards from Long Champion level quests or dropped by a boss called the Shambler.

The Shambler is only encountered as RNG when you either have no torchlight or when you use a torch on a Shambler's Altar. I don't think any of the trinkets are exclusive to him though, so you can just wait if you'd rather do the quests.

Length otherwise varies wildly depending on how many of your heroes die and how long it takes you to train up/equip new ones. Although if you REALLY don't want to lose them, if you're failing a fight you can close the game down and reload it, you'll start at the beginning of the fight, so you can either run away or make different choices. This kind of ruins the spirit of the game or any feeling of accomplishment though.

A lot of the trophies will be earned naturally as you go for the caretakers goals, again, the only one you'll have to really go out of your way for are the Ancestor's Trinkets.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vanillamoose said:

I wonder if anyone is making a trophy guide for this game...considering how rare the plat is though, it might be quite a while until we see one ?

I was planning on making one once I'd got the plat, but yeah that might be a while lol I need to get back to this.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Asvinia said:

It's a great game, you should get it.

I imagine people play it, a couple of characters die and they give up. RNG can and will screw you over, and if you make bad decisions you will be punished for them most likely.

The length probably comes from collecting the Ancestor's Trinkets, which either RNG show up as rewards from Long Champion level quests or dropped by a boss called the Shambler.

The Shambler is only encountered as RNG when you either have no torchlight or when you use a torch on a Shambler's Altar. I don't think any of the trinkets are exclusive to him though, so you can just wait if you'd rather do the quests.

Length otherwise varies wildly depending on how many of your heroes die and how long it takes you to train up/equip new ones. Although if you REALLY don't want to lose them, if you're failing a fight you can close the game down and reload it, you'll start at the beginning of the fight, so you can either run away or make different choices. This kind of ruins the spirit of the game or any feeling of accomplishment though.

A lot of the trophies will be earned naturally as you go for the caretakers goals, again, the only one you'll have to really go out of your way for are the Ancestor's Trinkets.

Great assessment. Sounds like just a really tough game with trophies that aren't too ridiculous based upon the difficulty of the game. Thanks!

47 minutes ago, vanillamoose said:

I wonder if anyone is making a trophy guide for this game...considering how rare the plat is though, it might be quite a while until we see one ?

Exactly why I started this thread. No guides anywhere! 

3 hours ago, Asvinia said:

I was planning on making one once I'd got the plat, but yeah that might be a while lol I need to get back to this.

Awesome! Glad to here you might make a guide in the future! Also good luck to you with obtaining that Platinum ?

2 hours ago, Jaguargenie said:

Great assessment. Sounds like just a really tough game with trophies that aren't too ridiculous based upon the difficulty of the game. Thanks!

Exactly why I started this thread. No guides anywhere! 

If I come across any helpful forums regarding tips for this game, I will post the links here. Thanks for starting this thread! ?

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FalseSine280 said:

It's really not that hard just very long and gets a little boring after a while. It helps to understand meta-tactics. I'm personally will recommend to check out FilthyRobot guy on youtube. He has tips for combat and estate management, reviews of all classes. Those videos helps me alot.

Thanks for the advice! Im definitely picking this game up in the future, and I will watch all these videos you just mention. :awesome:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/22/2017 at 0:00 AM, Asvinia said:

I imagine people play it, a couple of characters die and they give up. RNG can and will screw you over

This was definitely me.  When i first played this RN Jesus wiped my party on the first proper quest.  I've started this game about 4 times but now i'm going to have a real go at it.  Playing of vita atm but some of the controls are a little fiddly - are the controls similar on ps4?

49 minutes ago, chickenbaltipie said:

This was definitely me.  When i first played this RN Jesus wiped my party on the first proper quest.  I've started this game about 4 times but now i'm going to have a real go at it.  Playing of vita atm but some of the controls are a little fiddly - are the controls similar on ps4?

I first tried the game on the Vita and know what you mean. I didn´t get into it on the Vita and started it on the PS4. It was still confusing sometimes but I was able to Play some quests with it better as with the Vita.

It's interesting how many trophies basically reward you for failing xD Since this is one of my favorite games to watch let's plays off, I'm really itching to play it myself, but kind of turned off by the higher difficulty related trophies. 

How are Darkest and Stygian difficulty different that Radiant? I've read that Radiant is less grindy, but there has to be more about it.

Also I imagine some of those trophies might be difficult to facilitate, it really is meant to be played a lot in the REAL way, and not just to get quick trophies.

Especially What is already Dead Cannot Die seems like a huge pain in the ass due to the RNG luck required.

RNG really isn't difficulty, but depends on if the RNG makes it impossible for you to win compared to more difficult or easier. If RNG makes something impossible, that's just poor gameplay design.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MMDE said:

RNG really isn't difficulty, but depends on if the RNG makes it impossible for you to win compared to more difficult or easier. If RNG makes something impossible, that's just poor gameplay design.

It doesn't make things impossible but I had several situations where I would be winning against a really strong enemy and then they would land 4 crits in a row and kill everybody. To make matters worse in the lower corner you can what chances you and the enemies have of landing a crit (showed in %) and the guy had like 3% chance... But it is an amazing game still :D

5 hours ago, Inuty said:

I first tried the game on the Vita and know what you mean. I didn´t get into it on the Vita and started it on the PS4. It was still confusing sometimes but I was able to Play some quests with it better as with the Vita.

Think i might start (AGAIN) on PS4 then.

As much as I love the portability of the Vita it's a bit too fiddly

17 minutes ago, chickenbaltipie said:

Think i might start (AGAIN) on PS4 then.

As much as I love the portability of the Vita it's a bit too fiddly

It does have cross save. That said I did the plat and the DLC 100% on Vita. Great game to play on the go or in small bits.

The only issue was the DLC area played at like 5fps after it was released, which made it somewhat slow and frustrating. Not sure if it has been fixed but there's a good chance it hasn't.