So how would you change trophies...?

willmill97

A fun little discussion, what would you change about trophies? This can be anything, from the images, to the layout. But keep it non game specific.

Personally, for me, it would be that EVERY game's developer has to give the platinum a name that isn't 'Platinum', 'Platinum Trophy', 'Complete' or something of the sorts. Second of all, I wish that trophies popped on time, like they do on xbox :(

Ps. to keep it original, "no online trophies" is BANNED from discussion, and all those who mention it shall be sent to the rancor pits.

• Like 4

First of all, I'd give games that actually deserve platinum's like Resident Evil 4, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game, Star Wars Bounty Hunter (That game is hard as heck and considering how long it takes, I'd definitely give it a full list. At least 40 something trophies.), etc. And not let stuff like My Name is Mayo, Nubla, etc. get platinum's.

I'd also try to make trophy lists more creative and original, like what Willmill said, but also by not letting the developers be lazy and making every trophy image the same, just different color schemes.

I'd also like to add more golds in games that typically only get one or two, but get a load of bronze trophies as that's just weird to me. xD 

And finally, try to make online trophies also unlockable in SP such as how Mass Effect 3 did it. I know you said no online trophies, but the idea of allowing them to be popped in the SP component is actually a pretty good idea.

25 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

A fun little discussion, what would you change about trophies? This can be anything, from the images, to the layout. But keep it non game specific.

Personally, for me, it would be that EVERY game's developer has to give the platinum a name that isn't 'Platinum', 'Platinum Trophy', 'Complete' or something of the sorts. Second of all, I wish that trophies popped on time, like they do on xbox :(

Ps. to keep it original, "no online trophies" is BANNED from discussion, and all those who mention it shall be sent to the rancor pits.

The rancor pits? But Jabba's dead at this point. :awesome: Careful, we'll feed your KFP to the rancor though!

Edited by Jyn Erso
  • Like 1

I'd like it if every game had amazing images.

22 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

Damnit, *Puts on Rancor-proof armour* online competitive mp trophies shouldn't count for a plat, unless the entire game is meant to be played online, like Evolve.

• Like 2

If would have an option to create Trophies, I would name all trophies by the name of some famous movie/song titles or things well known things like "That what she said" etc. 

VF0ndKb8.png  a74h6Z2x.png

And there would be no Online/Luck based trophies. Only cleaning the game and mastering it's mechanics. 

41 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

You must still be playing heavily on PS3, because trophies pop instant all the time on PS4. And cheeves are actually quite broken on xbox, where someone can have them all unlocked but for some reason they are stuck in Microsoft's cloud server and won't actually unlock til months later.

Different name for a plat than "Platinum" or similar... different artworks for trophies... @Caesar Clown that sounds pretty awesome indeed, i'll second this :)

To reduce imbalacing trophy lists just like on XOne only "full" lists (with Plats)...

@Jyn Erso a gold trophy or two more in games? Agreed... Games with 50 trophies tend to have 1-2 golden ones... games with 15 trophies tend to have 10 golden ones... fair? :huh:xD

• Like 1

More creative trophy lists. Be it with titles or trophy images, so each trophy will look unigue, and not just a part of a bronze-silver-gold tier or a tick on the checklist to do. I'll actually cite DmC's trophy list as an example. It dropped the ball a little by calling platinum trophy a Platinum Trophy, but all the trophy icons have a defined style and all the titles are actually quotes from the other games in the series that actually make sense and fit the trophy they are assigned to

Now that's creative. 

1 hour ago, willmill97 said:

Well, that's me out.

... okay, second thought: it should be a basic guideline that there should be trophies for completing chapters in the game, side quests, and so on. I'd like to use trophies as a measurement of how much of the game I've played, not how much random shit I've done. I'd like to see the trophies for 100% DNA synch return to Assassin's Creed instead of having a trophy to show I've shot a few horses in the face.

Difficulty specific? Sure, go ahead. Speedruns (including S Ranks)? No thank you, unless you're a racing/runner game. Speedruns (including S Ranks) for every level/chapter? Fuck you.

• Like 3

I know it wouldn't ever happen but I'd quite like to see the trophy system act as a virtual sticker book, each game you add to it it adds an extra page or double page so your album expands.  As the trophies pop they fill in the blank spaces like you would see in a new sticker album if collecting them.  The images wouldn't have to be the screenshot where you earned them but could be set images that may relate to certain parts of the game or other cool pics.  You could have an index when you open the trophies so you can go to the exact virtual pages to check them out rather than go through page by page.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

I hate these so much that I forgot about them. Speedrun trophies are even worse than online ones.

I don't mind speed runs if they are set up correctly (like Uncharted). You can set the game to lowest difficulty and there's an in-game timer so you know where you stand at each level/chapter.

Regarding the topic, here are my thoughts (some of these may be repetitive from other posts:

1) Going to take OhDearGodRun's idea and apply it to Undead Wolf's comment about $1 games that can be beaten in an hour. All games should have a platinum trophy, but these cheap/easy plat games should give fragments instead of full trophies. That way you get rewarded for playing and 100% a game, but you're trophy stats aren't blown way out of proportion by them.

2) I'm ok with multiplayer trophies as long as they don't basically require you to boost in order to achieve them. If the game is heavy single player focus with MP elements, then multiplayer trophies should either be: A) limited to basic or fairly easy to obtain [amass total MP kills; play X number of matches; finish tutorials; reach a relatively low level  showing you attempted and put a little time into MP] or B ) Not actually count for the platinum and be listed separately like some DLC trophy lists.

3) Games released on different platforms (IE PS3, PS4 and VITA) or Remastered games re-released on later consoles should not have separate trophy lists. I don't care if I played Tomb Raider on the PS3 and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on PS4. It's the same game just bundled with the DLC and the trophy lists should overlap and carry over (Similar to how FFX/FFX-2 remastered did). This would help some clean up their trophy backlog if that's your thing. I don't want to go back and re-play the original PS3 Tomb Raider or Uncharted to fix my completion percentage if I already Plat'd the remaster. This also terribly inflates true trophy numbers and completion percentage as a lot of the easy plat's have separate lists for 3 different consoles.

I don't know if this really counts, but I would like trophies to mean something within the game. Very few games actually tie trophy accomplishments to anything in the game (Mass Effect, Uncharted 2 are examples of this, but they are few and far between). This would make trophies more than just this silly "stand alone" achievement system with no value, as it currently is. At least then, trophies accomplishments would have value even to a person who didn't collect trophies (assuming they care about the game itself, but why wouldn't they?).

• Like 1

No trophies that require multiplayer. (No rancor pits for me, as I stated it in a way that was not deemed as banned in the OP) ;)

Also, I would like to see trophies based on difficulty be represented properly. For instance, the Social Lubricant trophy in Watch Dogs. Yes, the patch made it easier, but even after the patch, it was still more of a silver trophy than a bronze. So I'd like to see greater accuracy on trophy types based on the difficulty it takes to complete the trophy.

Oh, and I don't like trophies for separate challenges. Batman: Arkham Asylum and Wolfenstein The Old Blood both had those. Doing the challenges should be optional for the player, and I hate to see trophies dedicated solely to those features.

Edited by ShogunCroCop

3 minutes ago, Khain24 said:

I don't mind speed runs if they are set up correctly (like Uncharted). You can set the game to lowest difficulty and there's an in-game timer so you know where you stand at each level/chapter.

Yeah. If I'm being forced to do a speed run, at the very least give me a timer. The same should hold for trophies requiring kills, or collection. If I have to kill 100,000 enemies, Zotrix, let me know how many I've killed at any given moment.

• Like 2

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

Yeah. If I'm being forced to do a speed run, at the very least give me a timer. The same should hold for trophies requiring kills, or collection. If I have to kill 100,000 enemies, Zotrix, let me know how many I've killed at any given moment.

Good point. I couldn't imagine trying to do some games "challenges" without a timer or counter or something. I'm looking at you Dishonored/Dishonored 2 no-alerts/no-kills.

My main change is what some people have already mentioned which is some games that have plats shouldn't and some games that don't should have plats.

The other change I would make is requiring games with plats to have a minimum number of trophies (I'm thinking 40) because a lot of games coming out these days have very few trophies for the plat and those trophies are mostly gold and silver. Gold trophies are meant to be the hardest trophies to earn in a game yet some games are giving them out like they are going out of fashion.

2 hours ago, willmill97 said:

A fun little discussion, what would you change about trophies?

I would change it so that no one could view trophy information about other gamers.

I like that trophies give me directions on how to get the most out of games, but I hate that anyone cares about any one elses trophies.