So how would you change trophies...?

willmill97

Enforce some regulations.

• Required progress bar, either via XMB or in-game (total kills with ___,  alarms raised....)
  • Unique platinum name; requires at least 1 adjective, verb, or proper noun ("Platinum Trophy" doesn't count)
  • Required 30 days notice before rendering any trophies unachievable. Premature shutdowns (Dead Star/NFS: The Run) or unpatched trophies (Dragon Fin Soup/Badland) blacklist the developers from releasing any more games/DLC onto PSN.
Edited by Thropy_Hore
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Thropy_Hore said:

• Required progress bar, either via XMB or in-game (total kills with ___,  alarms raised....)
  • Unique platinum name; requires at least 1 adjective, verb, or proper noun ("Platinum Trophy" doesn't count)
  • Required 30 days notice before rendering any trophies unachievable. Premature shutdowns (Dead Star/NFS: The Run) or unpatched trophies (Dragon Fin Soup/Badland) blacklist the developers from releasing any more games/DLC onto PSN.

There are already some great ideas posted, but I really like these ones. I don't care as much about the 3rd point since I don't care about my completion percentage, but for those who do, I think it's easy to implement. And it's just courteous to the end-users (and courtesy is sadly uncommon these days). 

Most of the suggestions here can be summed up as "developers not being lazy when implementing trophies". I think cool images are good, as are fun titles. I just started playing through PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate, and I love how it has a mix of titles with in-game relevance and pop culture titles. There are trophy titles with quotes from Star Wars, Dr Who, Red Dwarf, etc. I like it when developers have fun with their trophy titles like that. Sure, it has nothing to do with the actual trophy in some cases, but I'd rather have a Star Wars quote than "500 kills with the plasma rifle" or whatever. If it somehow works in a reference to plasma rifles that's also a movie quote, even better. :)

As far as the first point above regarding progress bars, I think Xbox One implements that fairly well. I don't play it much (I probably haven't booted up my Xbox One in a few months) and I never had a 360, but from what I remember achievements like "500 kills with the plasma rifle" show a counter or at least progress bar in the Achievement interface. 

I'm not sure if there is a definitive answer for which games get Platinums... I've seen conflicting info on that. But I think the rules should be clearer and it should make sense. Don't give every game a Platinum like Xbox One does with 1000 Gamerscore. But when The Walking Dead Season 1 has a Platinum and Season 2 doesn't, something is broken with the system. I know Sony doesn't actually care, but it can't be that hard to improve the system. 

I like the idea of making trophies provide in-game benefits. Some games do that, but only a handful as far as I can tell. I do think better trophy choices and better titles and descriptions at least have the benefit of better representing what you have accomplished in a game. By all means include trophies for story milestones in a campaign, but also include some that tie into more difficult optional content, etc. Some games already do this well, but it's not true of enough games. 

I think the fact that Sony and Microsoft require trophies and achievements makes some developers throw them in to tick off a box, without any real effort at decent trophies/achievements. If they're going to enforce them in the first place, they might as well make it mandatory that they aren't complete shit. :P

• Like 2

- DLC should, in most cases, NOT count towards 100% completion.
- No duplicate trophy lists for same game on different consoles, different regions ect.
- Multiplayer trophies (especially online) should not count towards a plat... stuff like server shutdowns happen. Exception would be games that are heavily multiplayer-based, but for something like a singleplayer game with a few MP minigames/coop mode ect... please don't. The MP trophies could have their own section like DLC.

- Progress bar for "do this X times, collect X of these, kill X enemies" type trophies especially when the game itself doesn't list it
- Hidden trophies should be restricted to story/spoilery trophies. No more hiding 80% of the trophy list for no real reason, ESPECIALLY for trophies where you probably wouldn't think of doing that if you didn't know.

- Glitched/unattainable trophies should be dealt with - either get them patched, or they get removed (though this might be an issue for people who already got it?)

On 22.2.2017 at 4:03 PM, Undead Wolf said:

I don't believe every game deserves to have a platinum trophy, but the way the system works now is a complete mess. Some games that clearly do deserve to have one don't, while other games do have a plat when they obviously shouldn't. I would make the rules that determine which ones get a platinum much clearer and apply to ALL games.

No more shitty $1 games that can be completed in under an hour with plats, but games such as Outlast, Spelunky, Resident Evil 4, etc, would have one.

Not saying I disagree when it comes to some platinum games, but where exactly would the "limit" for "quality enough" go? Where would the line be drawn? How about 3-hour games, 4-hour games? Amount of content, and if so, how much? I imagine this would just lead to debates about if such-and-such game that barely passed whatever guidelines, or barely DIDN'T, really should or shouldn't have a plat, and why this game A had one while B didn't. ect. Difficulty/challenge? Difficulty can in some cases be relative, especially in terms of how familiar you are with the genre.

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Thropy_Hore said:

I like where you're going with this, but think 30 days is too generous. Dare I speculate that developers know much further out than that when their trophies will be unachievable. 90 days should be minimum and I think "notice" should include PSN messaging/emailing anyone who has the game on their profile that hasn't obtained all trophies, in addition to Sony's site where they announce online portion of games shutdown.

• Like 3

Just now, erised_ said:

DLC collections where the amount of trophies rival the number of main game trophies & cost close to the price of the original game 

Am I one of the few who see this as a good thing since the developer is still supporting the game after release instead of abandoning the IP altogether? Or are you saying they should just be doing it for free?

• I don't ever want to see the same trophy images in different colors (Atelier and Tales of series).
  • Please don't repeat plat images, it's boring and lazy (FF13 and FF13-2)
  • Be more creative!

Oh yes and more importantly, I'd hire Colin and Greg as trophy image consultants. With that said, can't the gaming studios get professional copywriters to help them out?

Edited by Edunstar84

I would wish that Developers/Sony are obligated to patch trophy-lists whenever server closures happen.

So they either remove online trophies or patch some new in. Or at fucking least, you should be able to delete those lists via patch.

To be honest, online trophies should be listed like DLC by default. So you can't get your precious 100% but at least the platinum. People would obviously still play online :rolleyes:.

Then there is Trophy-progression which should be a thing on Playstation too.

You could tell neat little stories with hidden story-related trophies like The Wolf Among Us did. Or the picture stuff like Resonance of Fate.

Better Trophy-images like some mentioned....looking at you Telltale.. - Again, developers sould be obligated to provide different pictures for each trophy.

And just overall better trophy lists. 2016 was quite a fun year for trophyhunters, but of course it still had it's downsides. *cough The Last Guardian cough*

Sometimes I have the feeling that developers want to punish you for the idea of getting the trophies for their games. I thought about this more than once, which I shouldn't have to.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Am I one of the few who see this as a good thing since the developer is still supporting the game after release instead of abandoning the IP altogether? Or are you saying they should just be doing it for free?

Not at all, as I actually enjoy the extra gameplay from DLCs, but Arkham Knight & Fallout 4 seem excessive.  Don't mind paying a reasonable price, but when it can be $40 on top of a $60 game (new)?

3 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

Not saying I disagree when it comes to some platinum games, but where exactly would the "limit" for "quality enough" go? Where would the line be drawn? How about 3-hour games, 4-hour games? Amount of content, and if so, how much?

I dunno, it's hard to determine how much content a game has exactly when everyone plays at different speeds. Also, maybe the game itself is short, but it could have tons of replayability. All I'm saying is that Sony clearly have some guidelines regarding this because they deny plenty of developers platinums for their games, while allowing others. I just want them to be more consistent. I don't think they're even communicating with each other over there most of the time. They need to get their shit together. I think it would be a problem if more "games" like My Name is Mayo started popping up all over the place, trying to cash-in on the allure of a platinum. In what world does that game deserve one but something like Resident Evil 4 or Song of the Deep doesn't?

Basically, I just want them to enforce their own rules, but they should also be more lenient to games with a considerable amount of content. You know, stuff you wouldn't be able to complete within a few hours.

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

Sony clearly have some guidelines regarding this because they deny plenty of developers platinums for their games, while allowing others.

Basically, I just want them to enforce their own rules, but they should also be more lenient to games with a considerable amount of content. You know, stuff you wouldn't be able to complete within a few hours.

We don't know this. We speculate on this. We have a sentence here and there from people involved who allude to this but don't have *any* of the factual details.

We really don't even know if Sony has or had guidelines/rules that were established. No one has leaked anything that Sony has ever published on trophy rules for developers.

If anything, revealing Sonys trophy guidelines should be all we're asking for. THEN we can figure out if developers have been interpreting the guidelines differently than each other or something else completely is going on.

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

We don't know this. We speculate on this. We have a sentence here and there from people involved who allude to this but don't have *any* of the factual details.

We really don't even know if Sony has or had guidelines/rules that were established. No one has leaked anything that Sony has ever published on trophy rules for developers.

If anything, revealing Sonys trophy guidelines should be all we're asking for. THEN we can figure out if developers have been interpreting the guidelines differently than each other or something else completely is going on.

Actually, I remember that Brian of PS4Trophies has reached out to developers multiple times regarding why they don't have a platinum trophy in their game and they have straight out said that Sony didn't allow them to have one. Also, even Kojima came out around the time MGS Ground Zeroes was released and said it didn't have a platinum because of Sony regulations. There seems to be mixed messaging around the whole thing. Different developers are being told different things and that was my point. They need to get their shit together and start communicating with each other about what the rules actually are so they can properly enforce them. They clearly have some guidelines regarding who gets a platinum and who doesn't but nobody sems to be aware of what exactly they are.

3 hours ago, totallycrushed said:

I'd like to see more of the trophy images that complete a bigger picture all together. i.e Resonance of Fate.

That's pretty cool. Only other game that has something like that, that I know of is Gravity Rush

The thing I want most with trophies is a rewards program. Once you reach a certain level you unlock an exclusive theme, avatar or emblem to accompany the ps+ symbol perhaps. Maybe even throw in some once off discount vouchers and free games into the mix. Just give us some reward that justifies the hours upon hours spent unlocking them.

As i read a couple of times before. I believe trophies should have 2 things, they should make you do everything that is in the game, especially everything in the single player. Highest difficulty, all the collectibles, challenges and so on. Have a small taste of mp maybe, some random trophies that require you to get out of the way a little bit, not too much. Some kill related stuff, that kind of things. One thing i don't like are complete out of place grinds, single player or multiplayer, and i believe every game should have a ingame tracker like blur, or dead island. Then we won't need to look at collectible guides and other guides every 10 seconds and then we can  enjoy the game. Oh yeah, and include chapter select, so much better. 

Furthermore, trophy images and titles could sometimes be a lot more original. Just Cause 2 is just stupid, but for example Sherlock Holmes The Devils Daughter has amazing images i think.

I forgot to mention something, i believe it was Mass Effect 3 that gave you a choice between multiplayer and singleplayer, with muliplayer being easier, but singleplayer was possible 

Edited by lars9612
Forgot to mention something
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Actually, I remember that Brian of PS4Trophies has reached out to developers multiple times regarding why they don't have a platinum trophy in their game and they have straight out said that Sony didn't allow them to have one. Also, even Kojima came out around the time MGS Ground Zeroes was released and said it didn't have a platinum because of Sony regulations. There seems to be mixed messaging around the whole thing. Different developers are being told different things and that was my point. They need to get their shit together and start communicating with each other about what the rules actually are so they can properly enforce them. They clearly have some guidelines regarding who gets a platinum and who doesn't but nobody sems to be aware of what exactly they are.

You started your sentence with "Actually" but didn't dispute anything I said and reinforced everything I said.

MGS tweet quote is "They won't allow us to have them for non-full price game." WTF does that mean? What does "Full Price" mean in regards to games? How is that supposed to explain it to anyone. 

Brian of some website said "Sony didn't allow them to have one." Why? We didn't get the full facts from either of those two examples. As I said above "revealing Sonys trophy guidelines should be all we're asking for."

19 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

You started your sentence with "Actually" but didn't dispute anything I said and reinforced everything I said.

MGS tweet quote is "They won't allow us to have them for non-full price game." WTF does that mean? What does "Full Price" mean in regards to games? How is that supposed to explain it to anyone. 

Brian of some website said "Sony didn't allow them to have one." Why? We didn't get the full facts from either of those two examples. As I said above "revealing Sonys trophy guidelines should be all we're asking for."

You highlighted "they deny plenty of developers" and I gave you some examples of Sony denying platinums to developers. Not really sure what you mean there.

Yup, that's what I meant when I say that Sony don't even know their own rules. There have of course been plenty of games with platinums that haven't been full price.

No, he didn't say they didn't allow them to have one, the developers themselves did. We don't need to know their guidelines, but the developers do.

Going to keep this short for now. But the uplay points are a nice touch for completing certain game criteria. And you can use it to get themes or in-game items. Points carry over to any uplay games so you could actually use the points on another upkay game and get exclusive in-game items early. I think ubidoft uplay freebies are really neat. If other companies follow suite would be great for us gamers. Even better if SONY actually have a little reward system. Maybe for avatars, ps cards....little goodies. Like turning in our Chuckie Cheese tickets at the end of the day...GREATNESS AWAITS.

My personal requirements for a trophy list would be:

1. Must be at least 5+ hours for a general playthrough to have a platinum. 

2. To be eligible for a platinum it must have at least 12 trophies and be available in retail outlets.

3. All story specific action trophies must be hidden (kill x boss). Troohies for completing chapters do not have to be hidden.

4. No ridiculously grindy trophies (kill 2500 of this enemy).

5. Extremely difficult actions, such as no damage runs, must be a gold trophy.

6. No multiplayer trophies for a single player focused game in the main list. Must have a separate list or no MP trophies at all.

• Like 1

It'd never happen but it'd be nice if you got money added to your wallet (or an addition to a "Money Off" voucher like thing) when you reached a certain amount of points. It'd have to be pretty steep so people can't abuse it, say like £/$/€1 per 5,000 points or something. 

I like Mcbeanstr's suggestion of a reward system though, unlocking exclusive avatars/themes etc. at certain levels.

Definitely to have more variety in trophy titles is a must, same for those games *cough Infamous cough* which have the same trophy image for the whole trophy set. Gee, even in some cases just a few designs repeated all around Atelier and Tales of Series.

Now, something that I've always wanted but probably will never happen :/, a different sound for the Platinum trophy.

Something like when you go to the movies and hear the Dolby/THX intros.

6 hours ago, AnimeDreama said:

My personal requirements for a trophy list would be:

1. Must be at least 5+ hours for a general playthrough to have a platinum. 

2. To be eligible for a platinum it must have at least 12 trophies and be available in retail outlets.

3. All story specific action trophies must be hidden (kill x boss). Troohies for completing chapters do not have to be hidden.

4. No ridiculously grindy trophies (kill 2500 of this enemy).

5. Extremely difficult actions, such as no damage runs, must be a gold trophy.

6. No multiplayer trophies for a single player focused game in the main list. Must have a separate list or no MP trophies at all.

I like this but I would add the exception for #1.  Visual novels tend to be shorter just in general and I would still give them platinums

Of my own, though, I'd love an in-game tracker for anything you get a trophy for.  I want to be able to look in game how close I am.  Also, I'd love to be able to use platinum trophies as avatars for PSN