So how would you change trophies...?

willmill97

11 hours ago, willmill97 said:

A fun little discussion, what would you change about trophies? This can be anything, from the images, to the layout. But keep it non game specific.

Personally, for me, it would be that EVERY game's developer has to give the platinum a name that isn't 'Platinum', 'Platinum Trophy', 'Complete' or something of the sorts. Second of all, I wish that trophies popped on time, like they do on xbox :(

Ps. to keep it original, "no online trophies" is BANNED from discussion, and all those who mention it shall be sent to the rancor pits.

Set a standardized criteria for trophies to have platinum trophies -- or just give any and all future games plats. Makes no sense to give Mayo a plat but keep Hitman a minigame.

11 minutes ago, Cielle said:

I WILL die if trophies are gone. 

/dies

There's always Steam achievements :)

9 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I do enjoy playing games thank you very much, in fact, I'd argue that I enjoy them more now that trophies are a thing, at least if the trophy list is done well. I find that I get more out of them and I'm encouraged to do things I might have never tried otherwise. Trophies just make it all the more satisfying to 100% a game.

but steam Game Centre achievements yo

10 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I don't know if this really counts, but I would like trophies to mean something within the game. Very few games actually tie trophy accomplishments to anything in the game (Mass Effect, Uncharted 2 are examples of this, but they are few and far between). This would make trophies more than just this silly "stand alone" achievement system with no value, as it currently is. At least then, trophies accomplishments would have value even to a person who didn't collect trophies (assuming they care about the game itself, but why wouldn't they?).

Black Ops 1, 2, and 3 do this sorta -- for BO1, you have to complete the Shang and CotD easter eggs to do Moon. Doing so also gets you their respective trophies. BO2, you have to do TranShit, Die Rise easter eggs to get a certain ending to Buried. Doing so gets respective easter egg trophies. BO3 -- same thing with getting a unlockables in Revelations. I mean, the trophy and easter egg go hand-in-hand, and assure that the player can go further. Not exactly the same as Uncharter's.

59 minutes ago, Alternatewarning said:

I like this but I would add the exception for #1.  Visual novels tend to be shorter just in general and I would still give them platinums

Of my own, though, I'd love an in-game tracker for anything you get a trophy for.  I want to be able to look in game how close I am.  Also, I'd love to be able to use platinum trophies as avatars for PSN

Some games actually do have in-game trophy tracking. The Uncharted series tracks every action you make, as does The Last of Us, The Evil Within has a progress bar that pops up on the bottom after a milestone has been reached, Mass Effect allows you to view your trophy progress in the main menu and captains cabin of the Normandy. Borderlands, to an extent, allows you to view what actions have been completed, Dead Space 2 and 3 have trophy progress trackers. 

That's just off the top of my head. There's a whole lot more. 

Edited by AnimeDreama

I really like the Xbox feature that you get a notification whenever you've done something that works towards a certain long-term achievement. For instance, there's a notification if you're halfway to killing 200 enemies or stuff like that. 

In another aspect, I'd like to detach from Xbox further: There are people who feel that every game should have a Platinum. I very much disagree with this. If extremely short games and extremely long games all held the same amount of trophy points, the people who play short games would raise their PSN ranks far higher than people who play long games. While I certainly think they're sometimes wrong in their classification of games into one category or the other (f.i. Virginia should have small trophy list and Resident Evil 4 should have full Platinum trophy list), I do think that the distinction is to be kept. 

And this is one many people, especially those that value having 100% on games with a platinum, over having the platinum, will probably not agree with: I think more games should add extra extremely difficult challenges in a DLC-like trophy list that's available from the start. An example of what I mean is the Extended Trophy list of the Remastered Uncharted games: a 5-6/10 difficulty Platinum, and then the trophy that's a 9/10 is added in a DLC list, just so that people who do beat it on the Brutal Difficulty get recognition for it as well. This method rewards people for overcoming extreme challenges, but allows people who are dedicated and skilled, but not gaming masters, to still earn the platinum. An example of how I think this could be fun is adding an Extended Trophy List to a Dark Souls game and adding gold trophies for Speedruns or No-Bonfire Runs, or No-death runs, etc. Like I said though, I understand how this would be unpopular for people who find it important to have 100% on everything. 

Just now, marvelboy10 said:

I would increase the values of the trophies. For ex. Bronze is worth 30,Silver is worth 60,Gold is worth 180 and Platinum is worth 360.

If you double all the values, but keep all the proportions, what are you changing really? Only how quickly you grow to the next PSN level. So basically what you're saying is you want the PSN level progression to be twice as quick as it is now? 

Here are my changes:

1. Platinum titles shall not be named "Platinum"

2. Thou shall not recycle trophy images for the same game or across different games.

3. People shall be able to use trophy images as avatars :)

4. The title of any trophy shall not be the name of the discription such as "50 kills -AK-47"

5. Games that can be easily finished within a few hours shall not have platinums (I am Mayo).

6. Games that take a significant amount of time to finish shall have a plat.

7. Companies shall hire consultants for trophy names and images.

8. No game shall have all of one type of trophy (example: bronze only)

9. Thou shall not recycle trophy titles.

10. Though shall not just change color of trophies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Difficulty specific? Sure, go ahead. Speedruns (including S Ranks)? No thank you, unless you're a racing/runner game. Speedruns (including S Ranks) for every level/chapter? Fuck you.

What about Speedrun (and/or S Rank every chapter) + only have 1 health *looks at Muramasa Rebirth*

As for what I would change, I would have the option where if a game's server would go offline for unknown reasons, there should be a way to unlock those trophies offline and without having to find a way to hack said trophies. Oh and no games that will allow you to auto-pop trophies via syncing your account (basically

10 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I would change it so that no one could view trophy information about other gamers.

I like that trophies give me directions on how to get the most out of games, but I hate that anyone cares about any one elses trophies.

I think there is a way to do so. Have you tried to hide your profile?

40 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Here are my changes:

1. Platinum titles shall not be named "Platinum"

2. Thou shall not recycle trophy images for the same game or across different games.

3. People shall be able to use trophy images as avatars :)

4. The title of any trophy shall not be the name of the discription such as "50 kills -AK-47"

5. Games that can be easily finished within a few hours shall not have platinums (I am Mayo).

6. Games that take a significant amount of time to finish shall have a plat.

7. Companies shall hire consultants for trophy names and images.

8. No game shall have all of one type of trophy (example: bronze only)

9. Thou shall not recycle trophy titles.

10. Though shall not just change color of trophies.

As an ideological libertarian, I don't think we should "force" any companies to do menial things such as name their platinum Platinum Trophy, or any other of the little rules that you'd like to apply, but that doesn't mean I disagree that it would be more creative if they did find a name, and never reused trophy tiles, etc. 

3: I definitely agree that trophy images should be usable as avatars! 5&6: Yes, Equity over equality! 7, Oh come on now. Actually spend money on this thing that isn't really THAT relevant? That's a bridge too far in my opinion lol. If they want to, they can, but I think since trophy names and images will never ever change the sales of a game (whereas the kinds of trophy requirements, and whether or not there's a platinum will), it's a waste of money to hire a consultant for something like that as a business. With 8, again, I don't like all-bronze lists either, but if it fits their trophy plan best, then I see no reason to force them not to do it as they want to. 2, 9, 10 are basically the same: Yeah, different trophy images are cool, but not essential enough to enforce. 

My Trophy Suggestions:

1. Only online trophies count for the platinum. 

2. At least one online trophy has to require 100+ hours of boosting and/or active playing time to acquire.

3. All single player content should be considered as "DLC" and not count for platinum.

4. Going along with #2 the only single player trophies would be in relation to gathering collectibles. 

5. Each trophy for every game only is only allowed to have the name "Trophy".

6. Each trophy must have the generic bronze/silver/gold/platinum trophy images.

If all of these happened then and only then would we have the chance to encounter more bitching than is currently on the Uncharted 4 Survival Mode Thread. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PSXtreme_ said:

I would make it mandatory that once a game shuts down it's MP servers, that all online-only trophies get awarded to any game owner. 

I think we shouldn't do that lol, then someone who earned them legit maybe had to grind hours to get them. Then the servers shut down and everybody gets them without even touching the multiplayer

• Like 2

I think trophys should always mirror some kind of 100% a game.  So i dont like it if a game has a highest difficulty without a trophy for it , or collectables only necessary to collect 50% of it (yes i mean you Far cry series) .

I just think getting a Platinum but still a lot of stuff todo in a game is failed on idea to have a plat.  Like ff15 ... most of endgame is not included in trophies.

I know some ppl would disagree here because they dont want to play every game on stupid high difficulty or what so ever.... but 100% a game is not same than platting sadly.

• Like 3

I don't like when trophies want you to do several "Random things" that does not have to do with the game competition and some of them do not pop during a normal playthrough and you have to play specifically to earn this trophies. Some examples that come to my mind are Batman Arkham Knight (glide under the bridges) or The Witcher 3 (there was something with headshots if I am correct).

Also I would appreciate if developers think a better name than "Platinum" hahahaha

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yeah, I tried to look for a setting in there that stopped PSN from letting everyone see everyone else's trophies, but turns out I don't have access to that feature. ?

I was about to say the same thing about privacy settings, but then I figured you were likely not just talking about not letting other people see yours specifically.

A few people have talked about letting trophies unlock some stuff in-game. I'm not sure because I don't have a Wii U or a 3DS but I've been told that Nintendo is doing something like this these days with a few games. With in-game actions (same stuff as trophies or Ubi-actions or whatever those are called) you unlock coins, and those coins can be used for in-game stuff or even discounts on digital games.

29 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yeah, I tried to look for a setting in there that stopped PSN from letting everyone see everyone else's trophies, but turns out I don't have access to that feature. ?

If you go to the privacy settings you can set your trophy list/profile to only be viewable to you, your friends, or anyone.

34 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

4 minutes ago, AnimeDreama said:

If you go to the privacy settings you can set your trophy list/profile to only be viewable to you, your friends, or anyone.

Not really what he is talking about though... That setting is just to prevent others to see your trophy list but Daiv's point is that everybody should be able to see only their own lists.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnimeDreama said:

Awe, come ON people! I bolded it and didn't make it that difficult to read!!!

I would change it so that NO ONE could view trophy information about OTHER gamers.

• Like 1