Tribulations be damned, lets finish Trials of St. Lucia!

Metal Slime King

When it comes to anything related to the "Explosives Only" waves, don't bother with having to grab the enemies and throwing them. Instead, lure them to the enemies that need to die via explosives, and they should auto detonate if you're close enough.

For the "Health Drain" waves, just save your mana and use the angel wings skill to regen your health.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. When I was going for the Path To Elightenment trial for Dante, I got up to the last wave with a full health and mana bar, but those fucking monsters are a pain in the ass. It's a "kill all enemies" wave, however it's the demons where you have to shoot them with :circle: to get them out of their invincible fire armor, and then constantly attack them. You have to defeat 3 of them, and they give you almost zero breathing space.

EDIT: if you're online now, we can try to get the trails done together.

Edited by GarciaFever
  • Like 1

The biggest thing is to learn the moves (that includes parries). Dante's Inferno didn't have any difficulty related trophies, so you could basically button mash until you finished the game. I didn't truly learn Dante's moves until I did the Trials and had to start from scratch with Lucia's because of her being a brand new character. 

The only magic I remember being of any use was the divine armor. Iirc, it also gives you a bit of leeway with the no health loss trials too.

Learn to lift enemies to single them out. Really helpful for the kill x enemy first trials. Also, summoners should always take first priority. They are usually on timed trials where you have to kill all enemies and you damn sure don't need any more. Lift them to where you can concentrate on them with having to worry about taking damage from other enemies. Grab small enemies for the insta-kill on timed trials. Learn to parry those spinning enemies (I forget their names, sorry) or you'll have to wait forever for them to stop and possibly be hit by another as there's usually multiple. 

Sorry if some of this sounds a bit vague. It's been a really long time since I did these.

2 hours ago, GarciaFever said:

When it comes to anything related to the "Explosives Only" waves, don't bother with having to grab the enemies and throwing them. Instead, lure them to the enemies that need to die via explosives, and they should auto detonate if you're close enough.

It worked out better for me to throw them towards other enemies. Do what you're comfortable with though. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips guys!

15 hours ago, Rowdi said:

divine armor. Iirc, it also gives you a bit of leeway with the no health loss trials too.

Confirmed!! This got me through Wrath and Look Out Below! I didn't think about this because I thought the flag was getting touched but the condition doesn't say "Don't get Touched" it says "Take No Damage" :lol:. Excellent find!

Look Out Below! is still kind of a pain because you only get 2 lives and the 3rd wave where you have to target the one enemy and not kill any of the swarm of knife babies that follow you around just seems like blind luck to get through. Not having much luck yet on selecting one guy and just launching him to focus attack in the air. Practice make perfect I suppose. I also got The End of Innocence in 1 try so I've got all of the SP Bronze trials done. Didn't have as much time as I would've liked when I got home last night but I'll do some more later today.

On 22/02/2017 at 8:06 PM, Rowdi said:

It worked out better for me to throw them towards other enemies. Do what you're comfortable with though. 

Ok I figured out that it is good to throw them, but when you are in a 2-player game and you have your partner throwing crap all over the place, you tend to get caught up in the explosion as well. I tried to tell my partner to only lure them together and have them detonate when we get close to them, but it's like talking to a brick wall. Was placing Ascension and managed to get up to the 5th wave in the second last arena before I rage quit.

On 2017-02-22 at 5:57 PM, GarciaFever said:

When I was going for the Path To Elightenment trial for Dante, I got up to the last wave with a full health and mana bar, but those fucking monsters are a pain in the ass. It's a "kill all enemies" wave, however it's the demons where you have to shoot them with :circle: to get them out of their invincible fire armor, and then constantly attack them. You have to defeat 3 of them, and they give you almost zero breathing space.

Path to Enlightenment? More like path to the game store to buy a new controller! This one took me awhile to get through but the further I got through the less I wanted to quit. Fortunately I had full magic for the last wave and just used holy armor when I was running low on health and finally got it. It seemed like after you took away their fire armor enough times they would go straight to their weak state after a couple of shots. I might have been imagining that though.

I had trouble going through the last arena of Journey Through Hell. All 3 waves are timed encounters against big enemies with lots of HP, I kept running out of time. I found a thread on trophies.org about it that helped me get through. First off kind of make a lap of the level collecting all the Redemption spheres and attacking nearby enemies as you go with the :triangle::triangle: combo then when they kind of clump in the middle rip through them with Lust Storm and keep using the :triangle::triangle: combo. For the last couple of Gluttons it's faster to Absolve them than to Punish them. It was the first time I've seen anyone suggest Lust Storm and it worked good for these encounters.

General note: For any Don't Kill Prisoner waves. When you R2 a scrub enemy, if you Punish them it does splash damage which could hit the prisoner but if you Absolve them there is no splash damage.

I think I'm probably ready to do some 2P trials without totally embarrassing myself now. How does chat work? Does the game have it's own voice chat or do you use a separate application for that?

Edited by mking_63

@mking_63 I finally managed to get it! Had to make sure I saved up my full rage bar along with full magic, then I just kept on spamming :l2:+:circle:, and once weakened, kept spamming the skill that sends out a golden cross. All that's left for singles is Rage.

I haven't seen anyone else use chat, but it should work in the game. If not, I can send you a party invite.

• Like 1

Started 2P trials yesterday with some success, we got Ungodly Children, A Sunday Affair and Tick, Tick, Boom knocked out. Both plats done (yay) but apparently Ascension is the hardest 2P trial (?). Anyways, time for some 2P strat chat. Playing through I thought of a couple co-op play styles.

• Divide & Conquer - Split the map and clear out enemies. Good for Summoners, particularly on the hallway arenas.
  • Concentrate & Dominate - Focus attacks on strong enemies. Stick together and keep enemies off each other.

Obviously you want to switch up depending on the situation. Fortunately the only time friendly fire is a consideration is when you're throwing around explosive guys so be mindful when you're doing that.

One situation unique to 2P is Explosives Only waves with fire enemies (Tick, Tick, Boom) where one player should use cross attack to put enemies in a damageable state and the other player should immediately hit them with a bomb.

• Like 1

On 2017-02-24 at 5:15 PM, GarciaFever said:

All that's left for singles is Rage.

That was my last hold out too but I picked it up last night, so I'm done all the single player trials, woo! I'd say Rage was the hardest for sure. What helped me was taking out those wizards fast, isolating them with the L2 + :cross: launch attack which is faster than the hold :triangle: launch. The fire demons I was pretty patient with. After taking away their fire armor spamming quick :circle: shots I'd give them a few quick slices, dodge away and fire off a couple more :circle: and repeat. It's nice they give you a chance to recharge on 5-1 if you don't kill that one skeleton before getting the fountain. Last wave I triggered Retribution and Shield, took out the armored demon quick with :triangle::triangle: combos then dealt with the fire demon. It was a pretty tense fight, wanting to be done so bad it's easy to mess up.

I think my favourite SP trial was ExtraOrdinary Expo Of Awe, it was kind of a joke, gimmicky trial. Lots of bombs to trigger to blow up dudes. There was one wave in a hallway arena with a lot of golden skeletons and only like 30 seconds to complete. Too many to handle in time but there's a bomb halfway down the hallway, you lead them down there and blow them all up at once. That wave made me laugh. :lol:

Well now there's only the 2P trials for me to focus on.

• Like 1

Dude, Where's My Scythe? was a bit of a troll trial. 2nd wave requires 2x50 melee hit combos and the enemies are super weak so it's entirely possible to kill them all doing your combo then your partner has no one to attack to do their combo. I found it best to group the enemies in the centre then just use the regular :square: attack with a half second pause between swings so you just keep using the weakest swing. 3rd wave is Explosives Only on a narrow hallway map, it's really easy to get blown off the edge. Definitely a good idea to split the map for this wave. 2nd last wave is a tricky Marked for Death where you have to kill the two winged demons and leave the other two enemies alone. Found it best to stay at the top of the map in the centre of the big circle, get the winged demons kneeling around the outside of the circle and blast them off the side with a charged :circle: shot. I don't know why they fall over the edge when they still got their wings but they do. :lol:

Here's a handy hint for Melee Combo Required with Lucia that was useful for Courage of Heaven. If you do a move that launches you in the air but you didn't take any enemies up there with you, fire off a couple of homing shots as you fall back to the ground. It doesn't increase the combo count (not a melee attack) but it does sustain the combo long enough to get back into melee range.

Mission Accomplished! All the trials are done and I got my 100%! Thanks to @daftprophet and @GarciaFever for running though 2P trials with me. If either of you need any other trials just let me know. One last point that came up in Ascension, in Explosives Only waves you can soften guys up with your weapons first as long as you kill them with explosives. I hope this thread is a helpful read for anyone trying to get through the trials and please feel free to post your own experiences. Good luck and have fun!

Edited by mking_63
  • Like 2

WOOT!!! Finally completed the last trial in singles. Now I just need to do 7 more in the 2P trials for the trophy.

Turns out that for the last wave in Rage, all I needed to do was hit the fire demon with magic enough times to drop fire armor, then whack him a few times with :square:, then rinse and repeat (although it did help a lot when I used my rage meter). Don't know why this trial gave me such a hard time before.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

This might be beneficial once I start.  I don't want to dedicate many hours to this game at all though. 

I had 20 hours logged in by the time I got it, including all the community levels I went through first. Those don't take long at all if you just choose the ones labelled quick you can finish them usually in 10 seconds by holding L2 and hitting :circle: a couple of times. After you've rated 100 levels you can just restart the same quick level over and over again until you get the (100 bronze / 75 silver) and (50 gold / 25 platinum) trophies.

5 hours ago, Galactic Balls said:

Now the DLC has been removed from the NA PSN marketplace.  well guess not

Yeah that sucks, I don't know what they were thinking. Fix the server then stop selling the DLC. :(

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...