OMG why are these shackles so rare?

angelgrievous

So, I'm on NG++, SL 165, Item discovery rate is at 407.  I have been farming red eye skeletons in the Catacombs for 2 days and I have not had one drop a vertebrae shackle!  Not one!  I've been away from the game for about 8 months but last I heard this is the place for offline farming.  What gives?  I have literally been at this for 2 days and have not had a single drop.  I've watched youtube videos of people getting drops with lower item discovery rates and I've got nothing.  Did From nerf this farm or something?  Can anyone point me in a direction that might help a bit more please.  It's killing me.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

Yeah, the drop rates for covenant items in this game are absurd. Is there any particular reason you're farming the shackles offline? If you boost them you can easily get all you'd need in under half an hour.

Please tell me how you can boost these.  I've just started invading with mound makers and I keep running into party's of 3 and getting killed.  Also, as a side note, why do these people keep throwing up the "whats up" gesture when they jump you?  I mean, come on, of course you won, there were 3 of you and 1 of me.  

Find someone to boost it with. Set your online settings to password and get it on with your boosting buddy. Password lobbymaking removes the ilv difference, so as ilv165 you can easily boost it with someone that's ilv50 or something. 

EDIT: If you haven't done the silver knight farming in Anor Londo yet, oh boy you're in for a treat :rolleyes: Took me three full days of farming those two knights and was summoned maybe once or twice during my entire farm.. 

Edited by kibbypls
  • Like 2

Yeah, you can definitely boost these with a partner. Same thing with Pale Tongues if you need those.

I agree with the other responses though, Anor Londo Silver Knight farming is dreadful if you haven't already done that. Can't even tell you how many rusted gold coins I used. Took many, many hours. I got summoned as Blade of the Darkmoon very rarely as well.. and in most cases the Host died before I could make it to them. 

Best of luck to you. :) 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Takes about 30 minutes boosting with another player using a password.  Lay red soapstone while in mound makers cov, get summoned then kill them.  If you cant find your partner, just get them to jump off a cliff or die ... Its so fast... youll have em all in less that an hour. ?

On 11/20/2017 at 10:23 PM, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

If only I had a friend. xD

Just out of curiosity, is anyone still playing this game?

Big time.. You get summoned for alot of bosses in less than 3 minutes during peak hours.  Specially the armor boss and dancer of boreal valley.  Alot of people are leveling up for PVP action.

Edited by Paradigmatica

If you can't find a boosting partner, one way to get shackles if you are tired of farming is to head to the PvP heavy area after the Pontiff boss fight. Put down a friendly summon sign while in the mound makers. As soon as you are summoned by a host, show fealty to them via a gesture to show that you intend to protect them as a mad spirit, a lot of the time I wore the white phantom ring while doing this to emphasize my intentions. If they accept your help, then no matter the outcome you win. If you successfully help the host fight off an invader or two, you get a shackle. If the host dies, you also get a shackle.

Win - win.

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, The_LoneWolf said:

Anyone willing to help me with Vertebra Shackles? :D

why do u grind them on mobs? get the mound maker covenant and start invading people. thats by far the best way to get them and u will have fun grinding them. the only thing that u need to grind are the ears from the darkmoon covenant. with invasions u will get the shackles in like 1-3h.

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2017 at 9:21 PM, angelgrievous said:

Please tell me how you can boost these.  I've just started invading with mound makers and I keep running into party's of 3 and getting killed.  Also, as a side note, why do these people keep throwing up the "whats up" gesture when they jump you?  I mean, come on, of course you won, there were 3 of you and 1 of me.  

yeah if you're soul level 165 you're going to run into non stop gank squads unfortunately. obviously this is a 2 year old thread but for anyone else that is still working on this plat and needs vertebra shackles try joining mound makers and either boost with someone else or invade when you're soul level 60 or below so you're not quite as likely to end up with a gank squad. the one good thing about getting the shackles is you just have to kill the host or a phantom to get one. 

i don't even know how people enjoy baiting invaders and ganging up on them 3 on 1. how is that even fun you're going to win 90% of the time unless the invader is ridiculously skilled. plus at this point a lot of the PvP people have been playing the game for 3 years nonstop and are really good.

You can do farm 30 in just a few minutes...

Join and enable the covenant, tell a friend to use the same password, place a sign with the red soapstone, get summoned by your friend and kill him. Repeat!

You will never be summoned by someone else and your friend will not lose anything because you can set your sign near a bonfire, he will never need ember to summon you and he doesn't even have to be around your level.

Edited by DaftenMiescha
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a shockingly lucrative alternative if you're too lazy to grind and too lazy to get help:

Invade people in the very first part of the ringed city, heres why.

- A lot of people are embered after their fresh demon prince kill

- New players have no clue about the golden archers (I sure didnt)

- No one puts their summon signs down here, I encountered literally zero phantoms

I farmed 20 shackles in three hours.

Six people fell off a cliff.

Four got mowed down by the archers.

The rest just couldn't handle the mighty girth of my +10 Sharp Zweihander. 

And if you're worried if you're too high level you might be surprised. I was 135 and found someone every five minutes. Only downside is you'll occassionally be summoned for spear of the church.

Edited by Grample_Gust
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Meta level is something between 120-130. At this point people stop leveling further to get the best pvp experience. Beyond that your build is just overpowered.

As for covenant items you should work on them in the early parts of the game. This is where most people play and the majority of them are unexperienced players.

This is the best time for co-op and invasions.

For instance if you go to the Road of Sacrifices at level 25, with a +3 weapon it will be very busy and you will get invasions non-stop.

This is the place to go if you want swordgrass, pale tongues, shackles and sunlight medals 30x each in just a few hours with little effort.

If you want human dregs you should go past pontiff at level 55 with a +6 weapon.

The darkmoon covenant never works so it's the only thing that you actually need to farm once you clear every location in the game.

Edited by ScharkThePlayer
  • Like 1