NieR Automata Trophies

MinamiKukki

3 minutes ago, Auralancer42 said:

Don't expect this to become a trend. He's said before that he doesn't like the type of people who just play a game for the trophies/achievements. That's why he made obnoxious grinding ones in the first Nier. It's all him, not Platinum. 

That seems counter productive to include it then, because then people are going to play it specifically for the reason he doesn't like. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Auralancer42 said:

Don't expect this to become a trend. He's said before that he doesn't like the type of people who just play a game for the trophies/achievements. That's why he made obnoxious grinding ones in the first Nier. It's all him, not Platinum. 

When you say "he", who are you referring to? Yoko Taro? Also, do you have a source for that?

12 hours ago, Gage said:

That seems counter productive to include it then, because then people are going to play it specifically for the reason he doesn't like. 

yoko taro knows nier is a game that will barely survive, its always been like this from his past games.

Spoiler

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

At least this time it's being marketed unlike the first game

Indeed, i guess they kinda had high hopes for this game, inviting PG and all to help out. We'll see if nier is a success later i suppose, also i want yoko taro to do well, how can u not love this man lol

Spoiler

• Like 1

It defeats the purpose of trophy hunting, but it also works well to have people simply play the game and enjoy it. There's no need to read through a guide, which is something I have found myself doing quite often ever since I started trophy/achievement hunting. The decision lies on the player whether or not they want to earn the trophies legitimately or not. I've always thought of them as something to remind me of some of the moments I had with each game rather than some showcase for others to witness. The only problem I see with this method of handling trophies is for people that are involved in some friendly trophy hunting competitions. 

2 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

It defeats the purpose of trophy hunting, but it also works well to have people simply play the game and enjoy it. There's no need to read through a guide, which is something I have found myself doing quite often ever since I started trophy/achievement hunting. The decision lies on the player whether or not they want to earn the trophies legitimately or not. I've always thought of them as something to remind me of some of the moments I had with each game rather than some showcase for others to witness. The only problem I see with this method of handling trophies is for people that are involved in some friendly trophy hunting competitions. 

Even just having the option for it is an issue, though. Sure, you can unlock them "legit" or whatever, but you're not rewarded for doing that. I'm against the whole buying trophies thing, but since the mechanic is in place, I feel obligated to use it, otherwise I'd just be wasting my time. The temptation would always be there. In that sense, they're a lot like microtransactions in games which bypasses grinding. The game would be better off without it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Even just having the option for it is an issue, though. Sure, you can unlock them "legit" or whatever, but you're not rewarded for doing that. I'm against the whole buying trophies thing, but since the mechanic is in place, I feel obligated to use it, otherwise I'd just be wasting my time. The temptation would always be there. In that sense, they're a lot like microtransactions in games which bypasses grinding. The game would be better off without it.

I can see where you're coming from, but there are other similar issues like players taking advantage of glitches or giving control of their account to others for trophies they can't earn themselves. I see countless players exploiting these means for trophies that I actually put the effort to earn myself. In the case of glitches, they are generally unintentional, but just like these trophies for NieR, it's up to the player whether or not they want to take advantage of it. 

I'm all about this. In game money to complete trophies?! Hell, yeah.
I usually grind so much in games I have an absurd amount of loot, but have some lame-o MP or crazy stunt to pull off to finish. My trophies only matter to me so let me buy them by doing other things in the game. 

My Name is Mayo just proves that lots and lots of people are willing to come as close to simply buying a Platinum with real money as we've seen yet. This seems tame in comparison. At least you need to earn the in-game money.

The real question is why do so many people put value on other peoples trophies?
Shouldn't the person who's account they are on be the one worried about the value of their trophies to them and not care about others? With PS4 share play, I can't be certain anyone actually earned any trophies on their account by themselves. I already question the validity people here place on the "trophy system" since PS4 SharePlay came out.

In fact, this is practically the solution to games when MP portions are shut down. Allow players to earn in-game loot and spend a ton of it to buy the MP trophies instead.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Wait, since your not rewarded, are you saying a trophy doesn't unlock when you perform the task required and you just have to purchase them all at the end anyway? That'd be really weird. 

9 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I still remember the good old days when no trophies existed and people only played for pleasure and in the end they had no reward, now they complain about everything and nothing. But each one has the way of seeing things as it is obvious

• Like 2