DLC is Obligatory? Stupid

linkdevivo

I'll take my games as complete they can be, thank you.

Now try to think what is worse: Buying a complete version with a mandatory DLC that was so-so or actually buying the game and DLC separate and find that the DLC sucks?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

I'll take my games as complete they can be, thank you.

Now try to think what is worse: Buying a complete version with a mandatory DLC that was so-so or actually buying the game and DLC separate and find that the DLC sucks?

Id rather the DLC didn't suck at all to be perfectly honest. If it does end up sucking why would anyone want it to be imposed on them? Content for contents sake?

• Like 1

So I haven't started the Ezio collection yet, but these missions surely can't be worse than having to clean up after some retarded pigeon that apparently can't fly 2 yards without hitting a wall and losing his feathers? Or can it? :blink:

Do you have to complete the requirements too? Cause that's pretty frustrating in any mission of the whole series :shakefist:

54 minutes ago, mekktor said:

Look at the title of the thread. Read the OP or any of the complaints in the thread. Nobody has complained that the DLC was included with the game.

There is a difference between "included" and "included as a compulsory distraction before the final sequence".

99% sure it was something they decided to leave out of the game because it didn't fit or flow well and then released it as DLC.

Hah, I remember this. The guy who was ranting about the importance of hay in controlling a population...Reminds me of some other people I know with an over-exaggerated sense of their own importance.

1 hour ago, colia100 said:

Do you have to complete the requirements too? Cause that's pretty frustrating in any mission of the whole series :shakefist:

AC2 doesn't have secondary mission requirements, that started in AC:B. It's one of the easiest games in the series in that regard.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Same here on X360, happy that it was included in the PS4 version (I bough the DLC for all three games on X360). I thought I liked S13 more back then than I did this time around though.

I think you haven't read the OP because complaining that it's included in the game is how this entire thread started.

No one's complaining that the sub-par dlc is included in the game, bro. Complaining it's obligatory and forced upon you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mekktor said:

Look at the title of the thread. Read the OP or any of the complaints in the thread. Nobody has complained that the DLC was included with the game.

There is a difference between "included" and "included as a compulsory distraction before the final sequence".

51 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

No one's complaining that the sub-par dlc is included in the game, bro. Complaining it's obligatory and forced upon you.

Same difference. If you had downloaded the DLC on PS3, it was obligatory during the main game as well, just like the earlier mentioned Catwoman DLC of Arkham City.

You can try to call it something else but the point of the case is: it is included in the game but you don't want to play it. That you don't find it fun to play is only the "why" of why you don't want it included.

Personally, I didn't like playing through sequence 13 again either but the point is that the DLC was always part of the main game and I personally feel it would not have been good if the DLC had not been included in the game. Yes it's obligatory but it was like this on PS3 as well, nothing has changed about that.

22 hours ago, mekktor said:

You've got it wrong. I was happy to see it was included when I bought the game (on PS3) and of course I wanted to play it. I just didn't want to play that type of content at that point in the game. It didn't add anything to the story, instead it took away from it by destroying the pacing completely. The content was basically tacked on side missions and should have been treated as such - left optional like any other side missions. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it if that's how the content was delivered. It also clearly wasn't part of the main game or it wouldn't have been offered separately as DLC.

As I said, this thread has nothing to do with the fact that the DLC was included with the game and everything to do with the fact that it's forced on you in a way that makes the game worse.

Oh yeah, because the rest of the game's pacing flows sooooo well. Personally, I think the worst 'side missions as main missions' part of this game is all of the random thieves' guild stuff you're required to do. Especially the one where you have to free the prisoners. Talk about pointless. At least with the DLC, the character motivation is there and it concerns characters you actually care about. I don't give a shit about some random thieves. And you've only just arrived in Venice at that point, so you didn't really care about 'taking back the city' either. I actually cared about Caterina and wanted to help, even if it broke pace. And I wanted to take back Florence from the Templars since you'd spent half of the game there. It wasn't the best idea for them to tack these on right before the final mission, but is there a better place for them to be?

23 hours ago, mekktor said:

You've got it wrong. I was happy to see it was included when I bought the game (on PS3) and of course I wanted to play it. I just didn't want to play that type of content at that point in the game. It didn't add anything to the story, instead it took away from it by destroying the pacing completely. The content was basically tacked on side missions and should have been treated as such - left optional like any other side missions. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it if that's how the content was delivered. It also clearly wasn't part of the main game or it wouldn't have been offered separately as DLC.

As I said, this thread has nothing to do with the fact that the DLC was included with the game and everything to do with the fact that it's forced on you in a way that makes the game worse.

My point is though, it was that way in the original game as well, so having it included in the remaster automatically meant having it be unskippable, as the remaster did change nothing to the games except polish the graphics a bit.

So you can say that it's about quality but the fact is that it was exactly this in the original as well. Once again, I didn't like one of the two sequences either but I'd rather have them included than not at all (and the optional thing is not an option, since that's simply not how it worked in the original).

7 minutes ago, mekktor said:

Sure. My complaints are about the original issue of these sequences being obligatory to progress the story, which is still a valid complaint here.

Imagine if every game did this. Like if Mafia II directors cut forced you to play 6 hours of mindless arcade gameplay (Joe's Adventures) jin between Chapters 6 & 7. Or Borderlands GOTY edition forcing you to complete all 375 waves of Mad Moxii's Underground Riot in order to access the last two DLC packs. I'm not saying this is anywhere near as bad as those examples, but still, the practice should be called out when it doesn't work.

See, I'm not sure I agree with you here. You picked some pretty extreme examples. I'd think of something like the Leviathan DLC from Mass Effect 3. It's fairly long, and completely breaks the pacing. But if you were forced to play it right before the final mission, I wouldn't mind it I think that length has a lot to do with this argument. And the fact is that Chapters 11 & 12 aren't that long. They can take you a while if you don't know your stuff, but that's not the game's fault. But there not any longer than any other chapter in the game.  

• 4 years later...
On 5/11/2017 at 4:03 AM, The Shopkeeper said:

To be honest though this happens often with GOTY remasters when DLC content is woven into the main game. Can't play the PS4 version of Batman: Arkham City without doing the Catwoman levels...

Personally even though I didn't like the DLC for AC II that much (as others I was not amused by the one in Florence with just a bunch of people to kill), I still think that an "Ezio Collection" remaster would not have been complete without it.

Ha, I bought Batman: AC the day it came out. It came with a code for the Catwoman add-on DLC. I've never played that game without it. It would be weird for me to go back and have it NOT be there. It's strange to realize that some people played the game and she wasn't a part of it. Same goes for ACII. I originally played the game after sequence 12 & 13 were released. I've never had the missing sequence experience.