Games with great gameplay

mrHappy10989

Hey all!
First post on my forums and I thought it might as well be one i've been thinking about for a while.
What are some games with just really great purely for their game-play??
Last year I finished both Dead Island games on mute while playing podcasts. I found the experience really great, getting to listen to a bunch of my podcast backlog while having fun and earning a couple of trophies (always a plus).
Since finishing these i've been looking for games with really superb game-play to dig into
Yup Yup

Edited by mrHappy10989

The Dark Souls series/Demon Souls have some of the best gameplay in video games and don't require you listen because the storyline is almost non existent. 

If you want a series that has great gameplay and want to listen, I would recommend:

- Mass Effect

- Infamous

- Uncharted

- God of War

-Fallout

-Skyrim

• Like 1

From your post, games that you can mindlessly play while doing something else and that have good gameplay, I can recommend any of the two Darksiders games. As well as Dying Light, if you're looking for some more Dead Island type of games.

• Like 1

There are a lot of games with Great gameplay such as

-Lego 

-Batman Arkham franchise

-Rocket League 

-Little Big Planet 

-Uncharted

-God of War

-Infamous

-Prototype

There are many more but these are the best in my opinion.

Edited by marvelboy10

7 hours ago, mrHappy10989 said:

Hey all!
First post on my forums and I thought it might as well be one i've been thinking about for a while.
What are some games with just really great purely for their game-play??
Last year I finished both Dead Island games on mute while playing podcasts. I found the experience really great, to listen to a bunch of my podcast backlog while having fun and earning a couple of trophies (always a plus).
Since finishing these i've been looking for games with really superb game-play to dig into
Yup Yup

(2.) I highly recomnend you check out Dying Light, a more polished, vastly better, and fun version of DI.

(1.) As for my list (DL heavily included)

- Not Uncharted (You couldn't be anymore misled with this series.

Spoiler

It's only good for the singular shooting aspect. The boring and simplistic climbing, half assed stealth, and button mashing, randomly scripted, lack of depth melee [except U3] combat gameplay will not be "fun", and will not elevate your "gameplay" experience, excluding the few set-piece moments where the gameplay actually elevates itself and makes you feel like you're playing the literal type of game that the game is trying to be/sells itself on. The overall gameplay however will be passable and polished, but it won't be engaging, it won't thrill you, it wont have you go feeling damn I want to keep doing this/variants).

- Just Cause 2/3

- inFAMOUS Series (series refers to all/any)

- Borderland series

- Sonic Generations/Unleashed

- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

- RAGE 

- Rocket League

- Furi 

- Jak 3

- Castle Crashers

All games with good/great gameplay regardless of the quality of the stories in relevant games. Ive played these all. There's a shortage of console RPGs because I rarely play any. Obviously good things are said about Fallout series, Witcher 3, and Soul series (+ Nioh) though.

Note: Horizon Zero Dawn comes out in a few days, Id look into that.

17 minutes ago, lars9612 said:

Haven't played it yet, but have heard great stories about Kingdoms of Amalurs combat system

The combat is pretty fluid for a RPG , looks more like a combat system from a Hack n' slash . Too bad i got bored of the game cause the quests imo are not really appealing or fun and also i kinda tend to get lost in the map while traveling to the places . 

1 hour ago, Sigma999 said:

For the great and fluid gameplay i can advise the following : 

- Vanquish

- The Last of Us

- Unchartes series

- Demon and Dark Souls series 

- Bayonetta

Sigma999 is right ! Vanquish is one of the best (and the most under appreciated) Third Person Shooter that I've played on PS3 ! The game is fast paced, the gameplay is fun and precise. The story is really short (around 5 hours) but it's so fun that you can play the game over and over without getting bored ! And if the story's not enough, there's the Challenge mode which is bloody difficult ! Actually it's a game that's easy to play, but hard to master !

Vanquish_PS3_US_M-logo.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tyxoune said:

Sigma999 is right ! Vanquish is one of the best (and the most under appreciated) Third Person Shooter that I've played on PS3 ! The game is fast paced, the gameplay is fun and precise. The story is really short (around 5 hours) but it's so fun that you can play the game over and over without getting bored ! And if the story's not enough, there's the Challenge mode which is bloody difficult ! Actually it's a game that's easy to play, but hard to master !

Vanquish_PS3_US_M-logo.jpg

Vanquish gotta be the most fun i had with a 3rd person shooter or perhaps a shooter in general . One of the best gameplay out of the library of the PS3 . You really nail'd it with that suggestion :awesome:

• Like 1

When I think of games with great gameplay, it's often the simple ones that are best. It's the games where the controls just feel tight and responsive that end up being the most additive. There doesn't need to be a compelling story or interesting characters when the gameplay itself is just perfection. A few that come to mind are:

• Spelunky
  • Furi
  • Resogun
  • Catherine
1 hour ago, ratchetdude231 said:

The Last of Us (Very story driven, but the gameplay is a lot of fun)

I often see people knocking the gameplay in The Last of Us. I've never understood it myself. I love it! It just feels so brutal and satisfying. The stealth mechanics could use a little work, but other than that, it's a blast. I mean I wouldn't have spent that long in multiplayer if it wasn't. I have high hopes for The Last of Us Part II.

• Like 1

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

When I think of games with great gameplay, it's often the simple ones that are best. It's the games where the controls just feel tight and responsive that end up being the most additive. There doesn't need to be a compelling story or interesting characters when the gameplay itself is just perfection. A few that come to mind are:

• Spelunky
  • Furi
  • Resogun
  • Catherine

I often see people knocking the gameplay in The Last of Us. I've never understood it myself. I love it! It just feels so brutal and satisfying. The stealth mechanics could use a little work, but other than that, it's a blast. I mean I wouldn't have spent that long in multiplayer if it wasn't. I have high hopes for The Last of Us Part II.

I personally couldn't stand the gameplay in Uncharted which is why I am not a very big fan of that series as a whole, but The Last of Us did gameplay perfectly in my opinion. While Uncharted felt like a game were you go into rooms and just clear out enemies in TLOU there was a lot of strategy involved in how you take out your foes and I loved that about it. 

Being able to hunt raiders down stealthily or go in guns blazing was so fun. I also found scavenging the environment a lot of fun as well. I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I prefer TLOU over Uncharted by a mile.

1 minute ago, ratchetdude231 said:

I personally couldn't stand the gameplay in Uncharted which is why I am not a very big fan of that series as a whole, but The Last of Us did gameplay perfectly in my opinion. While Uncharted felt like a game were you go into rooms and just clear out enemies in TLOU there was a lot of strategy involved in how you take out your foes and I loved that about it. 

Being able to hunt raiders down stealthily or go in guns blazing was so fun. I also found scavenging the environment a lot of fun as well. I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I prefer TLOU over Uncharted by a mile.

I'm a fan of the Uncharted games too, but The Last of Us surpasses that series in my opinion. I love how you're forced to think carefully and plan out your actions as opposed to Uncharted with its more "run-and-gun" play-style. I especially love playing TLOU on Grounded mode. It feels like a challenge, but it's a fun one. Uncharted on Brutal on the other hand can feel like a bit of a chore. Both can be enjoyable, but yeah, The Last of Us is my favourite Naughty Dog game. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way.

• Mass Effect 2 had somewhat generic gameplay - it's still fun but if you want pure, cinematic, gameplay, go with ME3. It's just brilliant. Especially a certain point near the end on the highest difficulty.
  • Tales of Xillia (1) is quite fun. Stringing combos in the battle gameplay and the boss fights are quite hectic and good fun.
  • Diablo 3, arcade-like fun-fun.
  • MSGV: The Phantom Pain. There's something so very gratifying about calling in your helicopter and Ramboing your way into an enemy base with your weapons in tow and a sniper watching your back. Don't worry about espionage. Go nuts.
  • Alien: Isolation. Play it in the dark and number-two yourself like I did (not literally). Gameplay twists your mind and is more of a psychological horror. Good fun all the way through though.
  • Dragonball Xenoverse. The first is a slog for RNG but if you want something based on just gameplay, go with the second just in case.
  • Like 1

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

One of the best games I've played and one that really gets your adrenaline flowing. Just doing my final S Rank run on Revengeance and last night beat Monsoon without taking damage, took me a good couple of hours but so addictive and gratifying as you get better and better, until it almost becomes second nature. The only downside can sometimes be the camera but you learn how to use it.

I'd also like to mention WipEout HD. Loved this game ever since the PS1 and this one did not disappoint. It was 6 years ago I finished it but I remember how addictive completing Zone Zeus was, the game getting faster and faster that you almost become as one with it, once you start to think about how well you're doing instead of reacting it all goes wrong. Carried on playing this even after the trophy.

Others have mentioned Bayonetta, Vanquish, The Last of Us, Catherine, Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur which I own but so far have not had chance to start. Glad to hear that you all rate these games highly.

Too many games and not enough time :(