Playstation VR sold 915,000 units (not shipped, but sold)

Superbuu3

That is a huge amount. I thought it was sold out due to limited supply but seems to actually just be selling plenty and the supply is reasonable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/26/business/sony-playstation-vr-sales.html?_r=2

Guess this means it should be supported for a decent amount of time.

Edited by Superbuu3

I'm glad they didn't expect to sell 5 million like certain game companies complain about when looking at their game sales :cough:squareenix:cough:

It was modest, and they did it. 

Love mine :heart:

Edited by Dav9834

I read about this earlier. Considering how little Sony seem to be supporting the thing, it's strange to think that it's actually on track to meet their expectations. I guess they were really low. They shut down Guerrilla Cambridge after RIGS bombed and there have been no big announcements for PSVR in quite some time. I figured this was pretty much the beginning of the end for PSVR, but maybe not after all? I guess we'll see.

I believe when they release more games for the VR then it will make a lot more sales. Probably the only problem with the VR is the amount of space you need to play the games. Other then that it is something new and exciting for gamers which makes it a must buy in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, marvelboy10 said:

I believe when they release more games for the VR then it will make a lot more sales.

It's less about the games and more about an issue with the stock. Even people who want to buy a unit are having a very hard time actually getting their hands on one. It still seems to be sold out in a lot of places. Even if Sony dumped a ton of great games on the thing tomorrow, that doesn't mean shit if nobody can actually buy it.

7 minutes ago, marvelboy10 said:

Probably the only problem with the VR is the amount of space you need to play the games.

Well, that and the whole motion sickness thing. Then of course there's the amount of hassle it is to set the unit up. Those two things are already a huge barrier to entry for a lot of people.

12 minutes ago, marvelboy10 said:

Other then that it is something new and exciting for gamers which makes it a must buy in my opinion.

Eh, there was a time when the Kinect was considered "new and exciting" and look how that turned out. It's got a long way to go before I'd start calling it a "must buy". They're called privilege goggles for a reason. :P

9 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Well, that and the whole motion sickness thing. Then of course there's the amount of hassle it is to set the unit up. Those two things are already a huge barrier to entry for a lot of people.

What hassle to setup? I just put mine on and done.. 

Ya the motion sickness will change from person to person. I don't really get motion sick. But there was 1 demo that got me pretty motion sick... Forgot the name. 

13 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

It's got a long way to go before I'd start calling it a "must buy". They're called privilege goggles for a reason. :P

I agree it's not a must buy yet unless you like vr. 

Though I've never heard them called privilege goggles before... I don't like that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

Sony assuming it won't sell well is worrisome.

Sony previously stated that they weren't expecting to even make a profit on PS VR. So I'm sure they were happy that it was actually profitable on launch day. 

That being said, the future of VR gaming is still up in the air and probably will be for some time.

3 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

What hassle to setup? I just put mine on and done.. 

Well, there's all of the wires for starters. It's a mess. Also, I'd assume you wouldn't just leave it plugged in 24/7 when you're not using it. Colin and Greg from Kinda Funny have their own dedicated "VR room" just so they don't have to deal with setting when they want to play something on it.

8 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

I agree it's not a must buy yet unless you like vr. 

Though I've never heard them called privilege goggles before... I don't like that. 

I don't know if he coined the term, but that's what Jim Sterling refers to them as in this video:

He brings up a lot of good points.

Glad to see it selling well. I think VR will be a device that is supported across multiple console generations. I don't expect the support for VR to end with PS4. This is definitely a device that will be relevant now and continue to be relevant in the next generation of consoles. 

Now if only we could know how the Pro is selling.

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

Well, there's all of the wires for starters. It's a mess. Also, I'd assume you wouldn't just leave it plugged in 24/7 when you're not using it. Colin and Greg from Kinda Funny have their own dedicated "VR room" just so they don't have to deal with setting when they want to play something on it.

I don't know if he coined the term, but that's what Jim Sterling refers to them as in this video:

It's only 1 wire from the tv to couch. And ya I just leave it all plugged in. You turn it on and off with one of the buttons on the wire, so it's not constantly on, I just leave it by the tv when not in use so there's no cable across the floor at all times.

I don't think it would benefit much from a dedicated room, so it's weird they did that. Though It's not their style to have that imo, I wonder if it was the tech guy, what's his name that followed them when they left ign. 

I also don't play any games that require standing up. I actually don't know of any, but there probably is. 

I feel there's a lot of misconception revolving around the psvr. :/

Ahh ok I see, never heard it before now

2 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

I'm glad they didn't expect to sell 5 million like certain game companies complain about when looking at their game sales :cough:squareenix:cough:

It was modest, and they did it. 

Love mine :heart:

also EA canceled Dead Space because the want 5 million sales 

fucking publishers 

11 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

It's only 1 wire from the tv to couch. And ya I just leave it all plugged in. You turn it on and off with one of the buttons on the wire, so it's not constantly on, I just leave it by the tv when not in use so there's no cable across the floor at all times.

I don't think it would benefit much from a dedicated room, so it's weird they did that. Though It's not their style to have that imo, I wonder if it was the tech guy, what's his name that followed them when they left ign. 

I also don't play any games that require standing up. I actually don't know of any, but there probably is. 

I feel there's a lot of misconception revolving around the psvr. :/

Ahh ok I see, never heard it before now

I know it's not necessary but I find RE7 to be a more immersive experience if I play while standing.  I'm fortunate enough to have a little nook where my couch is so I have a small wall on my left should and I keep the back of my legs pressed against the couch.  It keeps me feeling secure while also making the game a little more immersive, as I said.  

Also, for those wondering about games.  Farpoint now has a release date:  05/16/17.  That is the NA launch as far as I know.  It also launches with the Aim controller.  I just hope it has smooth turning as well as the degree turning.  I don't get sick at all playing any of these games so I make all that stuff as smooth as I can.

Link for Farpoint info:  https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/farpoint-ps4/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ratchetdude231 said:

Glad to see it selling well. I think VR will be a device that is supported across multiple console generations. I don't expect the support for VR to end with PS4. This is definitely a device that will be relevant now and continue to be relevant in the next generation of consoles. 

Now if only we could know how the Pro is selling.

I think Sony will put out another VR unit once ps5 releases. But if they do, more stuff needed for VR needs to be included in the initial console package, like the camera at the very least. 

The reason game makers can't/won't support VR is the install base is miniscule compared to the console itself. If VR was more a part of the initial console package, it could do much better. I just can't see how it's be affordable. 

49 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I know it's not necessary but I find RE7 to be a more immersive experience if I play while standing.  I'm fortunate enough to have a little nook where my couch is so I have a small wall on my left should and I keep the back of my legs pressed against the couch.  It keeps me feeling secure while also making the game a little more immersive, as I said.  

I'll keep this in mind when I get re7!!! 

I want to play it so bad and especially show Capcom we want more horror than action in Resident Evil(it's in the damn name! :facepalm: ) by voting with my wallet. 

But I have such a backlog including psvr games I can't financially justify yet :(

1 minute ago, yowzagabowza said:

I think Sony will put out another VR unit once ps5 releases. But if they do, more stuff needed for VR needs to be included in the initial console package, like the camera at the very least. 

The reason game makers can't/won't support VR is the install base is miniscule compared to the console itself. If VR was more a part of the initial console package, it could do much better. I just can't see how it's be affordable. 

Actually the camera sold extremely well without vr was really set. These numbers are old from 2015, but I remember the adoption rate was damn high considering there was "practically" no games that used it. 

I'm sure it's much higher now. 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ps4-camera-sales-near-1m-with-a-15-adoption-rate

• Like 1

Just now, Dav9834 said:

I'll keep this in mind when I get re7!!! 

I want to play it so bad and especially show Capcom we want more horror than action in Resident Evil(it's in the damn name! :facepalm: ) by voting with my wallet. 

But I have such a backlog including psvr games I can't financially justify yet :(

It is, simply put, amazing.  I've been playing videogames for a long time and this thing blew my mind.  I am in the game.  It's awesome.  It's scary as all hell, but it's awesome.  I can't wait for you to get a chance to play it.  I wish everyone could try it.  I'm actually playing it in small chunks just so I don't finish it too fast.  If you have a VR then you must get this game.  It's the killer app.  

Also, I think moving forward Capcom is going to go with the more traditional survival horror based on the success of RE7.  At least I too hope so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

It is, simply put, amazing.  I've been playing videogames for a long time and this thing blew my mind.  I am in the game.  It's awesome.  It's scary as all hell, but it's awesome.  I can't wait for you to get a chance to play it.  I wish everyone could try it.  I'm actually playing it in small chunks just so I don't finish it too fast.  If you have a VR then you must get this game.  It's the killer app.  

Also, I think moving forward Capcom is going to go with the more traditional survival horror based on the success of RE7.  At least I too hope so.

I may have to buy it immediately now, damn just when I decided I wasn't going to buy any new games for a while orz

If they back peddle on the horror I'm going to be upset. They finally listened, I want them to continue

^ _ ^

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 1

Its a great figure but

SuperData Research is a New York based research firm that has been creating detailed reports on the immersive industry for months. Its most recent study centers around likely sales figures for the major VR headsets. The organization found that, by the end of 2016, the Oculus Rift is projected to sell 355,088 units; the HTC Vive will sell 420,108 units; Google Daydream will sell 450,083 units; and the PS VR will sell 2,602,307 units.

1 minute ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

Its a great figure but

SuperData Research is a New York based research firm that has been creating detailed reports on the immersive industry for months. Its most recent study centers around likely sales figures for the major VR headsets. The organization found that, by the end of 2016, the Oculus Rift is projected to sell 355,088 units; the HTC Vive will sell 420,108 units; Google Daydream will sell 450,083 units; and the PS VR will sell 2,602,307 units.

Did they also project Hillary to win :P

Besides it was an internal goal in sony to sell 1 million in the first 6 months. I'm sure they'd want more, but they hit the mark essentially.