Playstation VR sold 915,000 units (not shipped, but sold)

Superbuu3

• 9 months later...

Well, apparently Sony shipped almost half a million units in Q3, which is almost half of the total number of VR units* shipped in Q3.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/11/psvr_dominating_as_virtual_reality_sector_passes_major_milestone

Meaning PSVR is not only still in demand (wouldn't ship these numbers otherwise), it's becoming the biggest player in the VR market. Should be good for attracting more developers.

Edited by Cubone
*PSVR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and smaller parties. Not included are budget VR sets as Samsung Gear VR or Google Daydream VR.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Well, apparently Sony shipped almost half a million units in Q3, which is almost half of the total number of VR units shipped in Q3.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/11/psvr_dominating_as_virtual_reality_sector_passes_major_milestone

Meaning PSVR is not only still in demand (wouldn't ship these numbers otherwise), it's becoming the biggest player in the VR market. Should be good for attracting more developers.

I think you meant sold or shipped in all 3 quarters of 2017.

Otherwise it's just doesn't make sense.  

Edit: Nvm im an idiot and was thinking about only the psvr vr units ><

But I believe it, I love my psvr, just wished it had Netflix vr room like the gear vr. 

Edited by Dav9834
I stupid

As much as I am interested in PSVR, I can't bring myself to spend the $500 on something that will most likely give me motion sickness. I already get it with some FPS games and can't platinum AC:Revelations because of the first person bullshit dlc so how bad would VR be..

9 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

I think you meant sold or shipped in all 3 quarters of 2017.

Otherwise it's just doesn't make sense. 

But I believe it, I love my psvr, just wished it had Netflix vr room like the gear vr. 

I meant shipped in just Q3, which is what the article says.

"Sony took the lead, shipping more than 490,000 PlayStation VR (PS VR) sets in Q3."

Just Q3, not all of 2017, at least that's what it says. How does it not make sense? Do you think it's too high a number, or is there something I'm missing here?

Edit: I think I get it. The "almost half of the total number of VR units shipped in Q3" is not about just PSVR but also about Vive, Rift and such. Sorry for not being clear.

... There is Netflix VR?

9 minutes ago, sh4d0wzcs said:

As much as I am interested in PSVR, I can't bring myself to spend the $500 on something that will most likely give me motion sickness. I already get it with some FPS games and can't platinum AC:Revelations because of the first person bullshit dlc so how bad would VR be..

If you already get motion sickness with 2D games then yeah it's probably not for you. You could wait for more "sit still" games like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, but I'd advise you to try out a set somewhere first.

Also, you could wait on a sale. I initially bought VR day one but returned it because of a manufacturing error. Thought I'd wait on a V2 or a price cut. Got it now in a Black Friday sale for €159, including shipping. Don't know how that translates to your currency but the regular price here is €400 so it was 60% off.

... Which, by the way, also makes a nice new number for units sold. The store (internet shop of a big Dutch toy store chain) was completely sold out after half a day, so lots of new gamers who want to buy games.

Edited by Cubone
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sh4d0wzcs said:

Ew ya if fps do that, then vr would be a bad idea, even at the $350 price points this past week.

I've had a ton of people use mine, and there was 1 that couldn't do it. 

Surprisingly it wasn't my father who gets sea sick lol

So maybe you could handle it, just not everything. You probably would do fine with watching videos or games that have zero walking or fast movements. :(

21 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I meant shipped in just Q3, which is what the article says.

"Sony took the lead, shipping more than 490,000 PlayStation VR (PS VR) sets in Q3."

Just Q3, not all of 2017, at least that's what it says. How does it not make sense? Do you think it's too high a number, or is there something I'm missing here?

Edit: I think I get it. The "almost half of the total number of VR units shipped in Q3" is not about just PSVR but also about Vive, Rift and such. Sorry for not being clear.

... There is Netflix VR?

Nope I'm an idiot, sorry! I wasn't thinking ><

But ya that's what I was confused about, but it was still clear when you said all vr units. I just was thinking all psvr units ><. 

Ya there is a Netflix vr app for gear vr. Before I got the psvr(thanks to the gear vr impressing me more than I expected(though I had low expectations of the gear vr)) I would use the gear vr for Netflix. It was awesome. Makes it just a little better by being in this huge cabin with this huge screen with the lights from the video bouncing off the wall. Just like hulu vr. 

No idea why it's not on the psvr. 

I get that sony wants it to be a gaming first, but Netflix isn't a stretch to add, especially sense it technically already exists. :/

23 minutes ago, Cubone said:

If you already get motion sickness with 2D games then yeah it's probably not for you. You could wait for more "sit still" games like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, but I'd advise you to try out a set somewhere first.

Also, you could wait on a sale. I initially bought VR day one but returned it because of a manufacturing error. Thought I'd wait on a V2 or a price cut. Got it now in a Black Friday sale for €159, including shipping. Don't know how that translates to your currency but the regular price here is €400 so it was 60% off.

That's what I was thinking,there's no point in getting a PSVR just for "stand still games..

The RRP here in Australia is about $550, the Black Friday sales dropped them down to about $280 but even then I thought it would be a waste.

Give me a Gundam VR game and I'll force myself to get used to it.

8 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Ew ya if fps do that, then vr would be a bad idea, even at the $350 price points this past week.

I've had a ton of people use mine, and there was 1 that couldn't do it. 

Surprisingly it wasn't my father who gets sea sick lol

So maybe you could handle it, just not everything. You probably would do fine with watching videos or games that have zero walking or fast movements. :(

That's exactly it, its to way too  fast movements that do it, especially the games where its in closed areas that gets me, maybe I'm just not used to them.

Just now, sh4d0wzcs said:

That's what I was thinking,there's no point in getting a PSVR just for "stand still games..

The RRP here in Australia is about $550, the Black Friday sales dropped them down to about $280 but even then I thought it would be a waste.

That's exactly it, its to way too  fast movements that do it, especially the games where its in closed areas that gets me, maybe I'm just not used to them.

There are some games I have a hard time playing, so it's not just you. Dead again? I think that's the name of it. I was having some issues with nausea, especially sense I was having issues with my ability to figure out the puzzles lol

But I think my favorite/I keep going back to vr experience is still Kismet(eagle flight close second for fun factor). It really really really shows what games could not only look like (so so so damn gorgeous), but also how new games could be made. 

@Cubone I recommend it even if it's just something you open once a month. Or especially to show others what the psvr really is capable of. It's the best looking anything on psvr as far as I'm aware. 

1 hour ago, sh4d0wzcs said:

Missed out on the sales dude, I got mine for 330 odd a week or two back at Big W with the camera, headset, Skyrim VR and PS VR Worlds. Dumped Skyrim for 60 on Gummie and now it's 270 for the headset, camera, and a game. 

But yeah, if you get motion sickness, it probs ain't for you.

1 hour ago, sh4d0wzcs said:

If it helps, I got motion sick when I first used VR (very nausea, bad headache, didn't go away for about an hour) but after 5 or 6 thirty minute sessions it decreased to now where I don't have any issues, so you could possibly get use to it enough to where there's no issues. (Games even say you should work yourself up to longer game sessions) most games even have options that limit motion sickness

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

No idea why it's not on the psvr. 

I get that sony wants it to be a gaming first, but Netflix isn't a stretch to add, especially sense it technically already exists. :/

Here's hoping it will come soon then, and it's not some kind of exclusivity deal.

3D Blu-ray was added later as well.

6 hours ago, sh4d0wzcs said:

Actually there are a fair few "sit still" VR games apready which I enjoy. Puzzlers where you sit still and look around or at something - Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes (local multiplayer) for instance. I want to try I Expect You To Die, an escape room type game. Playroom VR has some very fun local multiplayer games with slow moving VR.

There's also VR movie shorts.

Of course, it all depends on what the point of VR would be to you. I think VR is cool just to look around in, but of course sitting in a jet fighter is cooler.

6 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

There are some games I have a hard time playing, so it's not just you. Dead again? I think that's the name of it. I was having some issues with nausea, especially sense I was having issues with my ability to figure out the puzzles lol

But I think my favorite/I keep going back to vr experience is still Kismet(eagle flight close second for fun factor). It really really really shows what games could not only look like (so so so damn gorgeous), but also how new games could be made. 

@Cubone I recommend it even if it's just something you open once a month. Or especially to show others what the psvr really is capable of. It's the best looking anything on psvr as far as I'm aware. 

5 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

If it helps, I got motion sick when I first used VR (very nausea, bad headache, didn't go away for about an hour) but after 5 or 6 thirty minute sessions it decreased to now where I don't have any issues, so you could possibly get use to it enough to where there's no issues. (Games even say you should work yourself up to longer game sessions) most games even have options that limit motion sickness

I got a bit sick at first too, mostly with the Driveclub VR demo but also with first person stuff where you move in bursts/parts instead of just by walking and turning.

@Dav9834 I think Kismet is not really a game for me. I'd personally use Batman or something in Playroom to show people VR. 

47 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Here's hoping it will come soon then, and it's not some kind of exclusivity deal.

3D Blu-ray was added later as well.

Actually there are a fair few "sit still" VR games apready which I enjoy. Puzzlers where you sit still and look around or at something - Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes (local multiplayer) for instance. I want to try I Expect You To Die, an escape room type game. Playroom VR has some very fun local multiplayer games with slow moving VR.

There's also VR movie shorts.

Of course, it all depends on what the point of VR would be to you. I think VR is cool just to look around in, but of course sitting in a jet fighter is cooler.

I got a bit sick at first too, mostly with the Driveclub VR demo but also with first person stuff where you move in bursts/parts instead of just by walking and turning.

@Dav9834 I think Kismet is not really a game for me. I'd personally use Batman or something in Playroom to show people VR. 

It's just so pretty!! ><

21 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Does anyone know if there other apps available on PSVR. Have they developed like museum tours, views on Mars or any apps like that? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

I know there's quite a few, I'll look at them later tonight if I can. 

They're not all standalone though. There's only a few standalone. 

But there's a handful of apps that have a lot of experiences/videos.

I would love museum tours! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Does anyone know if there other apps available on PSVR. Have they developed like museum tours, views on Mars or any apps like that? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

16 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

It's just so pretty!! ><

There's Mars three times (one game, one interactive experience, and another interactive experience (one from NASA) coming up), Apollo 11, Everest, Chernobyl, a David Attenborough or two... And that's off the top of my head.

Side note: Ark Park has a planned release of December 2017, it's supposed to be somewhere in between a videogame and a dinosaur museum tour. It's a spinoff of the survival game Ark: Survival Evolved.

Edited by Cubone
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

It's just so pretty!! ><

I would love a VR Louvre experience!

14 minutes ago, Cubone said:

There's Mars three times (one game, one interactive experience, and another interactive experience (one from NASA) coming up), Apollo 11, Everest, Chernobyl, a David Attenborough or two... And that's off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info!

49 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Side note: Ark Park has a planned release of December 2017, it's supposed to be somewhere in between a videogame and a dinosaur museum tour. It's a spinoff of the survival game Ark: Survival Evolved.

Ooo ark park sounds awesome! 

10 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Missed out on the sales dude, I got mine for 330 odd a week or two back at Big W with the camera, headset, Skyrim VR and PS VR Worlds. Dumped Skyrim for 60 on Gummie and now it's 270 for the headset, camera, and a game. 

But yeah, if you get motion sickness, it probs ain't for you.

It was tempting but like I said, knowing my luck I'd just get sick and not use it a all. If I ever feel like fuck it why not, I know there will be another good sale eventually, just now there is'nt a great deal of games that interest me on the VR right now.

9 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

I was thinking the same thing that if I play it long enough I'll eventually get used to it.