Zero Escape Canon

dmsleight

So I just ordered Zero Time Dilemma on sale ($18.36).  My question is, does game order matter?  I finished ZLR a while back and it didn't seem like I missed 999.  Actually, I didn't even know ZLR was a sequel (they referenced another event, but I didn't feel lost).  So since I messed up the canon already, will I miss out playing 999 last?  It will likely be a good while before I get 999, and I would like to jump into ZTD.  Any thoughts?

Edited by dmsleight
Wrote ZE for ZLR

I was wondering the same thing. I'll join to see if anyone can answer. Btw Zero Escape: The Nonary games is coming and it includes the 2 first games in case you didn't know. I will end up buying Virtue's last reward and the nonary games one since the trophies for both games have been put together.

(I will get shot for this opinion)

Playing VLR without playing 999 didn't bother me so until around the end. (If you didn't know the 'main mechanic' of the story then you will learn it in 999 and/or in VLR)

However I do not recommend playing ZTD unless you played atleast one of the 2 earlier games.

Obviously the best thing to do is to play the game in order!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bumperklever said:

(I will get shot for this opinion)

Playing VLR without playing 999 didn't bother me so until around the end. (If you didn't know the 'main mechanic' of the story then you will learn it in 999 and/or in VLR)

However I do not recommend playing ZTD unless you played atleast one of the 2 earlier games.

Obviously the best thing to do is to play the game in order!

(ducks and covers for impending shots)

• Like 1

I only played 999 to the first ending (been meaning to go back, but will probably wait until the Vita version comes out) and I wasn't to lost on the final story and connections to VLR.  However, as stated before, ZTD felt like it had a much greater connection to VLR.  I highly recommend playing VLR before ZTD, it also doesn't hurt the VLR is one of the best games I have played on the Vita

Zero Escape, here I come.

Normally, I would say that 999 is a worthy play, but if you already finished VLR (I suppose that's ZLR), playing ZTD immediately after it is actually advisable.

However, now, we are month (exactly) away from Zero Escape: Nonary Games. Therefore, now, I change my statement and say wait for that and play them 'in order'.

Q: Wut, what do you mean by 'in order', why the use of apostrophe?

A: Very easy. Order in Zero Escape is something so complicated that you cannot say what is sequel of what apart from 999 being the first one (technically xD)

Q: He?

A: Again, easy answer. Zero Time Dilemma is an interquel. It's neither sequel nor prequel of VLR. In terms of timeline, ZTD features fragments (pun intended) from pre-999, post-999, and leads to what happened in VLR. :D Dwelling deeply into this would be revealing too much. I can't do that =D

Ignoring game timeline, ideal outcome is playing Nonary Games and then ZTD.

You should wait a month, get ~300 trophies and make ZTD your 4000th trophy :awesome: 

On 27.02.2017 at 3:45 PM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Zero Escape, here I come.

Normally, I would say that 999 is a worthy play, but if you already finished VLR (I suppose that's ZLR), playing ZTD immediately after it is actually advisable.

However, now, we are month (exactly) away from Zero Escape: Nonary Games. Therefore, now, I change my statement and say wait for that and play them 'in order'.

Q: Wut, what do you mean by 'in order', why the use of apostrophe?

A: Very easy. Order in Zero Escape is something so complicated that you cannot say what is sequel of what apart from 999 being the first one (technically xD)

Q: He?

A: Again, easy answer. Zero Time Dilemma is an interquel. It's neither sequel nor prequel of VLR. In terms of timeline, ZTD features fragments (pun intended) from pre-999, post-999, and leads to what happened in VLR. :D Dwelling deeply into this would be revealing too much. I can't do that =D

Ignoring game timeline, ideal outcome is playing Nonary Games and then ZTD.

You should wait a month, get ~300 trophies and make ZTD your 4000th trophy :awesome: 

Good to know, I would like to play ZTD soon and 999 if they release it separately from VLR. I dont really want to plat VLR all over again just to play 999 and those 2 games share one trophy list.

Edited by Saionji

6 minutes ago, Saionji said:

Good to know

Good to know, I would like to play ZTD soon and 999 if they release it separately from VLR. I dont really want to plat VLR all over again just to play 999 and those 2 games share one trophy list.

You could play the DS version of 999 if you wanted. (and it can be free if you choose :ninja:)

• Like 1

Some good advice, thanks everyone!  As an owner of ZTD, I would appreciate 999 to be sold separately.  Although, its likely to be the same price? $40?  Wait and see I guess.  I don't know that I will be able to hold out until 999.  That seems likely to be played last.  I would have to absorb myself in my backlog and (try to) forget about it.  or maybe go the a fore mentioned ds route and just pick it up later  :ninja:

For a person who played ZTD first, here me out.

Playing it out of order, when I didn't even know I was doing so kinda sucked because I feel like I didn't get to fully experience the game. ZTD has characters from both 999 & VLR. You said you played VLR so you'll grasp that aspect of it, but when it comes to 999 you may not. For me the game felt like the characters were just thrown in there till I did research and found out I was wrong. Also if I remember correctly some characters make references to others from previous games.

I believe Sigma occasionally brought up Luna?

Idk I just feel like you may not experience the full thing. I started playing VLR, but stopped because I'm waiting for the Nonary games.. and hopefully I'm willing to play VLR twice lol.

Edited by DuckSwimmer