Marvelboy10's Weekend Trivia Challenge

marvelboy10

Single "largest" organism is a stand of quaking aspen trees in Utah named Pando, covering about 106 acres of territory. There's thousands of individual stems that become trees, but they all share the same root system and are clones of each other, thereby making them a single organism.

Firewatch obliquely references Pando when you walk through the aspen grove in Yellowstone. Pando is the heaviest single organism, and also technically one of the oldest, existing for about 80,000 years.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

Single "largest" organism is a stand of quaking aspen trees in Utah named Pando, covering about 106 acres of territory. There's thousands of individual stems that become trees, but they all share the same root system and are clones of each other, thereby making them a single organism.

Firewatch obliquely references Pando when you walk through the aspen grove in Yellowstone. Pando is the heaviest single organism, and also technically one of the oldest, existing for about 80,000 years.

Imteresting to know that, but unfortunately that is not the answer I'm looking for. I'm looking for the name of another tree, which individuals reach sizes that vary from 70 - 85 m (230-280 ft). 

One individual of that species has been name colonel Sherman, if I recall correctly.

Just now, Deceptrox said:

Imteresting to know that, but unfortunately that is not the answer I'm looking for. I'm looking for the name of another tree, which individuals reach sizes that vary from 70 - 85 m (230-280 ft). 

One individual of that species has been name colonel Sherman, if I recall correctly.

Giant sequoia tree, the example is General Sherman, and it's found in Sequoia National Park. In California.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

Giant sequoia tree, the example is General Sherman, and it's found in Sequoia National Park. In California.

Correct. It was not colonel but another military title though.

Edited by Deceptrox

Just now, Deceptrox said:

Correct. It was a military title.

The question is confusingly worded, BTW. By "largest", did you mean by length, height, weight, volume? Because different things fit those different criteria. The giant sequoia is the largest by volume, but not by height, which is the Coast Redwood tree. Something to think about for later.

1 minute ago, damon8r351 said:

The question is confusingly worded, BTW. By "largest", did you mean by length, height, weight, volume? Because different things fit those different criteria. The giant sequoia is the largest by volume, but not by height, which is the Coast Redwood tree. Something to think about for later.

I meant in size. As far as I know the giant sequoia is the largest organism in the world. I'll check info regarding the coast redwood tree to see if I were wrong. 

Feel free to answer other questions if you think you know the answers.

1 minute ago, damon8r351 said:

5. What very important nutrient for every plant do carnivorous plants get from their victims?

Nitrogen. Most other plants get nitrogen from the soil.

Correct! I'll give you two reputation points from answering two answers correctly when they reset.

8. Which game follows? (Hint: It’s an arithmetic sequence)

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Assassin’s Creed II, God of War, Sound Shapes, Red Dead Redemption, ???

Killzone: Mercenary.

#1: Uncharted; #4: Assassin's Creed 2; #9: God of War; #16: Sound Shapes; #25: Red Dead Redemption, #36: Killzone: Mercenary

1-4= 3; 9-4= 5; 16-9= 7; 25-16= 9; 36-25= 11

3, 5, 7, 9: The next logical number in this sequence is 11, derived from 36-25. Platinum number 36 is Killzone: Mercenary.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

8. Which game follows? (Hint: It’s an arithmetic sequence)

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Assassin’s Creed II, God of War, Sound Shapes, Red Dead Redemption, ???

Killzone: Mercenary.

#1: Uncharted; #4: Assassin's Creed 2; #9: God of War; #16: Sound Shapes; #25: Red Dead Redemption, #36: Killzone: Mercenary

1-4= 3; 9-4= 5; 16-9= 7; 25-16= 9; 36-25= 11

3, 5, 7, 9: The next logical number in this sequence is 11, derived from 36-25. Platinum number 36 is Killzone: Mercenary.

Correct!

The sequence was 1^2; 2^2; 3^2; 4^2; 5^2; and 6^2. You got the right game, though. Well done!!!

22 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

Thanks for taking my searching skills into account for that trivia, pal ;) I'm sorry that I missed it, I've been really ill lately. In fact I'm still recovering after a doctor giving me the wrong medication :(

Anyways, I just wanted to say hello guys, and also welcome to all those new players in the trivia!

Marvel, you'll do great in your exams :) best luck for you ;)

• Like 2

@marvelboy10, good luck on your exams.

18 minutes ago, Gray-Fox-44 said:

Thanks for taking my searching skills into account for that trivia, pal ;) I'm sorry that I missed it, I've been really ill lately. In fact I'm still recovering after a doctor giving me the wrong medication :(

Anyways, I just wanted to say hello guys, and also welcome to all those new players in the trivia!

Marvel, you'll do great in your exams :) best luck for you ;)

There's one question left. Do you think you can get the right answer? :)

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 1