How much longer is the Xbox 360's life?

Dreakon139

If I were interested in getting an Xbox 360, how long would you say it's life is now? While there hasn't actually been a date placed on Microsoft's successor the the 360, there have definitely been rumors circulating about the next-next generation.

Put simply, which would you say is a more accurate statement at the moment?

"Never been a better time to get an Xbox 360!"

"Save that money, the next generation is right around the corner."

I don't think we'll see a new Xbox for about 3, maybe 4 years if I'm honest. They seem to be really pushing Kinect with the 360 so there's no reason for them be releasing the next generation console in say 2 years or anything like that. If it were me, I'd ask you, are the exclusives good enough for you? Because that's about the only reason to get one.

Given how quickly the original Xbox died, I'm not sure.

The Xbox wasn't such a failure but support for it went dead immediately upon release of the 360, so with the next generation drawing near I'd say that it's best to wait for the Xbox 3.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A: why are we talking about Xbox's on a PS3 trophy site? Anyway, I do not think there is a need for any new systems (obviously the Xbox is included since that's the topic) until 2016. The PS3 and Xbox360 are continually hitting there stride and show no signs of stopping. After all the PS3 just sold 6.5 million units in the holiday season, and the 360 had even better sales (including the Kinect).

BTW Since we are talking about the 360 (a.k.a. the CrapBox360)....PS3 is better....let the flame wars begin!

I wouldn't worry about the next gen. machines, your Xbox will most likely RRoD (red ring of death... just in case) long before they release anything new... trust me, I've been through 3 of them in four years now, the first two were repaired for free but I'm beyond the 1 year (it might be different now) warranty with the one I currently own that just died and I have no desire to replace it, especially since it's probably just gonna die again. Last time I was in my local Gamestop there was a person returning an Xbox and the clerk said they had a 70% failure rate, the new slims are far better from what I hear but 70% for any model is absolutely inexcusable. Funny tidbit , the customer still declared he was an "Xbox guy" and will "never touch a PS3"... to each their own I guess.

If your going to switch over I need you to promise one thing, don't leave this site man! We need someone to keep up the videogame caption game :D

Well, I started this thread but you can't be referring to me... I only posted like twice in that thread and no one ever votes on my captions. :(

A: why are we talking about Xbox's on a PS3 trophy site?

This is the 'Other Platforms' section, it's crazy up in here.

Well, I started this thread but you can't be referring to me... I only posted like twice in that thread and no one ever votes on my captions. :(

This is the 'Other Platforms' section, it's crazy up in here.

Yeah you are not kidding :)......BTW I saw other platforms, but I thought other platforms BUT the S--tbox360! :D

You know what, in all honesty, the lifespan of the system completely depends on you. Yeah, eventually there will be no more "new" games available in stores like Wal-Mart, but how long the system remains active depends on you. There is no way that you'll be able to catch up on all the good games b4 the system goes defunct, so the lifespan is going to be expanded beyond that date.

• 3 months later...

When I think of console lifecycles, I think of two things: 1. How the companies have reacted to their old consoles becoming obsolete in the past, and 2. What their future strategy is for building profits and becoming the console leader for the next generation. Therefore, for the Xbox 360 specifically I think Microsoft will make essentially a set-top box that focuses on movies, TV shows, music, and some gaming. I feel that Xbox exclusives will be even more rare than they have been this year, and MS will essentially pay other companies for content, games, etc. They are very successful right now doing what they're doing: good for them and their success. However, we as gamers must keep in mind that our money is ours to spend, and each dollar we spend on a console/game is a vote for a company. Vote wisely!

• Like 2