Danganronpa VR will be free - PS+

skateak

The weird world of Danganronpa might not seem like it’s ideally suited to PlayStation VR (PSVR), but we’ll find out if it’s a good fit next week.

Cyber Danganronpa the Class Trial VR is coming to Sony’s headset next week, according to Dualshockers. The news was reportedly announced during a Spike Chunsoft press event at GDC 2017 this week. And that apparently means a western release; the game was already released in Japan and Asia and hits North America on March 7th and Europe on March 10th.

Not only that, but the game will be free for PS Plus members.

That makes Class Trial the first VR-only to be handed out on the subscription service, which offers members free games every month. Sony previously said that it was looking into free PSVR games on its service, but we’ve only seen Hyper Void, a game with optional VR support, come to the headset thus far. Hopefully this is a sign that the company is ready to offer monthly games now.

The free release is described by its publisher as a “tech demo”, so we wouldn’t expect too much from it. It sees you stand trail for murder with your other classmates, a premise that will be familiar to anyone that’s played the main games in the series in the text-based adventure genre. You’ll use “truth bullets” to find the real story by shooting through “suspicious statements”. It sounds a little crazy but, then again, the series as a whole is known for its wild characters, in-depth stories and general weirdness. It seems like this will fit that bill.

If it’s a demo, then it’s likely a short experience that will give you just a taste of what it would be like to live in the game’s world. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with that, we’d just like to see a full game based on the franchise.

And, yes, the series’ now somewhat iconic mascot, Monokuma, will feature. If you’re a fan of the franchise, then, you probably won’t to miss out on this one.

Source

Edited by skateak
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

So is this Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc with VR support or a completely new game?

It's just a tech demo, not it's own game or the first game with VR support. I remember seeing it a little while ago, and if it's the same thing, it's just a VR classroom trial with Asahina, Hagakure, Kirigiri, and Togami, iirc, and it's kinda over the top. I guess you're taking the role of Naegi and trying to get through the trial, that's all.

4 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

So is this Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc with VR support or a completely new game?

Cyber Danganronpa the Class Trial VR is coming to Sony’s headset next week, according to Dualshockers. The news was reportedly announced during a Spike Chunsoft press event at GDC 2017 this week. And that apparently means a western release; the game was already released in Japan and Asia and hits North America on March 7th and Europe on March 10th.

4 minutes ago, skateak said:

Posting a part of the same article from the OP did help to clear things up. :facepalm: 

6 minutes ago, TheFinalEmblem said:

It's just a tech demo, not it's own game or the first game with VR support. I remember seeing it a little while ago, and if it's the same thing, it's just a VR classroom trial with Asahina, Hagakure, Kirigiri, and Togami, iirc, and it's kinda over the top. I guess you're taking the role of Naegi and trying to get through the trial, that's all.

Thanks, now that was some useful info.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, xZoneHunter said:

Glad we finally get this. It's only 15 minutes long, but it seems like a fun experience. I'd be down for a full VR Danganronpa title though :D

Reveal hidden contents

I would love a vr danganronpa

It probably would work pretty well too. Mmm one day! 

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Posting a part of the same article from the OP did help to clear things up. :facepalm: 

Thanks, now that was some useful info.

Well right after that part it does say it is a tech demo. The info to the exact thing you asked is in the OP. Not sure you even read the whole thing.

Edited by skateak

4 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Yeah I read it, hence my question.

And that is what I didn't understand because the answer to the question was in the same post you read.

Edited by skateak

7 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Cyber Danganronpa Class Trial VR

Don't you think it would be called THH if it was D1 in VR? :P

I'm pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect western Sony would follow the Japanese branch and release it free for plus members.

First benefit for Plus since... 

since...

since...

Imagine it would be an "openworld 3D thingy"-game... 

You turn around and suddenly Monokuma, who stands way too close, is smiling at you...

Or that brainfucked serialkiller girl with the splitted personality. (No, not the hot pink one. The other one, with the scissors and the glasses)...

(Damn I can't remember any name... I really should start game2 somewhen...)...

...I nepped in my pantsu! D: 

Ahahahaha xD 

21 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

Glad we finally get this. It's only 15 minutes long, but it seems like a fun experience. I'd be down for a full VR Danganronpa title though :D

Hide contents

This actually looks pretty awesome. Would love to see a full release from it. However it will sadly only be tech demo i guess

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

Hope we can put it in our library, in case I do decide to get the PSVR set in the future. So along with the free playlink game there could potentially be eight games each month or will the VR game replace one of the Vita or PS3 titles? Or maybe one PS4 and one VR game?

If it's just a tech demo then I doubt it will replace one of the other titles. They'd be crazy to drop a PS4 spot for it as that's where the most of their PS+ money comes from now anyway.

And yeah you can just buy games on PSN that are VR required without having VR itself.