Why I Love to Hate For Honor

Trugo314

First off, I don't like paying $60 USD for something like this. You get two modes really, a short story mode that's more or less one long tutorial, and multiplayer. It's a little lacking in my opinion. But if you go even deeper, say by not liking gear stats, then you're down to playing two of the five game modes in multiplayer, leaving you with very little content over all. But since I want to get my money's worth, I play all the game modes. Then I get destroyed by a Peacekeeper who has legendary gear, has insane stamina recovery, and can basically cut me to pieces in about 7 seconds. At this point, you can't just, "get good." An enemy straight up has better gear than you, and is instantly better than you. There are also times where I swear I've parried an attack but the damage goes straight through. It also doesn't help that Ubisoft went with the brilliant idea to use peer to peer matchmaking, essentially making 90% of matches laggy and unplayable. So as I mentioned earlier, if you hate gear stats you have two options: 1v1 or 2v2. Here is where it's supposed to be all about raw skill, but then that good 'ol p2p connection kicks in, and the Raider you were fighting just kind of disappears, then he reappears behind you for an easy  heavy attack. So the remaining 10% of matches that are playable and actually have even teams are an incredible blast to play. There are times when even if I lose, I'm ok with it because I know it was my fault, and not because of lag or a raw power advantage. But those moments come rarely as if I try to parry I just heavy attack or when I try to guardbreak it just doesn't work.

I've come to the conclusion that every character is overpowered when played by certain people. Like any fighting game with combos, somebody who hasn't turned the game off since day one and knows a 12 second unbreakable chain is probably going to destroy you. I like to think I'm decent playing a Kensei or Shugoki, but then some Prestige 5 Lawbringer comes around, pokes me with his stick, carries me around the Earth a couple times, then dumps me off some cliff. It's an extremely annoying game at it's worst, and an extremely fun game at it's best. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, angelgrievous said:

What does this even mean?

Ubisoft are derps. Their games are either buggy as fuck .. or their online is just plain broken and they don't learn. They had issues with p2p in Siege and STILL used it in a game which is based around split second actions. They're just stupid.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2017 at 8:48 PM, Trugo314 said:

First off, I don't like paying $60 USD for something like this. You get two modes really, a short story mode that's more or less one long tutorial, and multiplayer. It's a little lacking in my opinion. But if you go even deeper, say by not liking gear stats, then you're down to playing two of the five game modes in multiplayer, leaving you with very little content over all. But since I want to get my money's worth, I play all the game modes. Then I get destroyed by a Peacekeeper who has legendary gear, has insane stamina recovery, and can basically cut me to pieces in about 7 seconds. At this point, you can't just, "get good." An enemy straight up has better gear than you, and is instantly better than you. There are also times where I swear I've parried an attack but the damage goes straight through. It also doesn't help that Ubisoft went with the brilliant idea to use peer to peer matchmaking, essentially making 90% of matches laggy and unplayable. So as I mentioned earlier, if you hate gear stats you have two options: 1v1 or 2v2. Here is where it's supposed to be all about raw skill, but then that good 'ol p2p connection kicks in, and the Raider you were fighting just kind of disappears, then he reappears behind you for an easy  heavy attack. So the remaining 10% of matches that are playable and actually have even teams are an incredible blast to play. There are times when even if I lose, I'm ok with it because I know it was my fault, and not because of lag or a raw power advantage. But those moments come rarely as if I try to parry I just heavy attack or when I try to guardbreak it just doesn't work.

I've come to the conclusion that every character is overpowered when played by certain people. Like any fighting game with combos, somebody who hasn't turned the game off since day one and knows a 12 second unbreakable chain is probably going to destroy you. I like to think I'm decent playing a Kensei or Shugoki, but then some Prestige 5 Lawbringer comes around, pokes me with his stick, carries me around the Earth a couple times, then dumps me off some cliff. It's an extremely annoying game at it's worst, and an extremely fun game at it's best. 

I played the Beta for a few hours and came up with the same conclusion. It's a very one-dimensional game. Sorry you spent $60 to find that out.  

16 minutes ago, Cobbylicious said:

Ubisoft are derps. Their games are either buggy as fuck .. or their online is just plain broken and they don't learn. They had issues with p2p in Siege and STILL used it in a game which is based around split second actions. They're just stupid.

I'll bite. I've platinumed over a dozen Ubisoft games and have found their games to pretty dependable. Yeah, Unity's release was a complete shitstorm but at least they fixed it. As for their online, you can still play multiplayer in AC Brotherhood, a game that's nearly seven years old.

Of course, are their games perfect? Heck no! I'm still waiting for them to patch the Crew trophies. :hmm:

But I trust Ubi's product over other developers. 

11 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

I'll bite. I've platinumed over a dozen Ubisoft games and have found their games to pretty dependable. Yeah, Unity's release was a complete shitstorm but at least they fixed it. As for their online, you can still play multiplayer in AC Brotherhood, a game that's nearly seven years old.

Of course, are their games perfect? Heck no! I'm still waiting for them to patch the Crew trophies. :hmm:

But I trust Ubi's product over other developers. 

Honestly, I've played 5 full games (For Honor, Zombi, AC Syndicate, AC Freedom Cry and Lords Of The Fallen) .. For Honor's online is ridiculous, no one in the right mind would pick p2p after having previous when the game requires split second actions. The other 4 ... all of them crashed or had a game breaking bug of some form, Lord Of The Fallen couldn't even wait 10 minutes without crashing lol. 

Both AC games were just filled to the brim of bugs, I didn't bother with Lords Of The Shit after it failing to hold it up for more than 10 minutes and Zombi was a fun game, let down by the gamebreaking bug.

Maybe I just have bad luck with their games but 4 of the 5 AAA titles I've played from them in the PS3/PS4 from them have broken and the 5th has the worse online connectivity out of any game I've played online. Even EA's servers are better xD

I feel ya on this I want to like the game but it's bull first off everyone uses guard break spams then sometimes you die because the guard doesn't always work I've stopped playing it completely because of the unfair fights the Valkyrie is bull sens the update als people do as her is spam light attacks the Peacekeeper ain't so bad and the nobushes bleed damage is redicules sorry for my spelling by the way the and yes I do know how to parry and block and counter but the thing that makes me dislike this game is that the only way you can get a fair fight is in 1v1s and that's pretty sad if you ask me whelp that's all I'm going to say about Not so honorable for honor :/

On 7 March 2017 at 3:48 AM, Trugo314 said:

Like any fighting game with combos, somebody who hasn't turned the game off since day one and knows a 12 second unbreakable chain is probably going to destroy you.

"Boo hoo why is the better player winning."

The real problem with the game actually lies in the fact the fact that for a game built around 1v1 fighting, it fails to deliver any meaningful depth that would allow any creativity from the player. On top of that you've got the blandest presentation of all time and the killer cast of several dudes in armor, all completely devoid of character.

• Like 1

I saw video on YouTube months ago on the beta. If you would have seen any of the vids i did, you'd have known the gameplay was single dimensioned. To be completely honest, I think Chivalry's gameplay looks much more interesting. I'm not sure how For Honor is getting more love than Chivalry did. People truely are racoons: hypnotized by the shiny shit.

3 minutes ago, Phoenixgaming1 said:

what do you expect it's a ubisoft game there only good game was farcry 3 and thats it

Far Cry 3 is overhyped as shit my guy. Highlighting that game rather than Beyond Good & Evil, the Rayman games, R6 Siege or South Park Stick of Truth makes me question the amount of thought you put into that post.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a few months now and my opinion has changed. I now hate the game. Pretty much every match has that one Peacekeeper or Lawbringer with gear level 108, the Orochi with their stamina regen all the way up, and a Valkyrie, just to kick you while you're down with her infinite combo of, light attack - guardbreak - leg sweep - heavy - guardbreak - leg sweep - and so on. This of course is all thanks to the absolutely wonderful matchmaking system, which never pits people of equal skill together. Every match I connect to, the "Player Skill" setting always changes to extended or all skill levels. 

• Like 1

This game has some serious issues, but a lot of potential to be a fun and balnced game. The problems I see are the following:

- The extended I frames in the Orochi side dash/swing attack

- The Nobushi poke/bleed trap in a corner with the un-parryable 2 kick move

- The (sometimes) unstaggerable guard frames in Shugouki attacks are a bit rediculous (plus the grab is infuriating, but there is actually nothing wrong with that move, it is just good)

- The Raider is not so bad, but a high damage / high armor build with the constant unblockable spam attack is a bit much at times (plus getting throw and carried forever is annoying, but it is balanced to an extent)

- The Warlord I would say is balanced, but his jumping over head and head butt attacks are way too OP and spammable (and most Warlords spam that move)

- The Berserker has some never ending frame locks that majority of the classes can not do much to stop it are a bit much (and his one oddly hard to cancel guard break move)

- The Valkyrie is probably the 2nd most OP class in the game with her never ending sheild bash sweep attack combo that leaves you completely disabled

- The Peacekeeper's grab stabs and side quick attacks are WAY too abusable

- The Warden's never ending 1 attack guard break strings are a little OP (and his running side swing locks on and lunges him with a strong lighting fast attack from like 20 or 30 feet away)

- The Kinsei is actually pretty balanced

- The Lawbringer is pretty balanced, his stats are just off the charts and the mover where he pins you on the end of his halberd and pushes you forever is broken as hell.

- The Conqueror is the most OP and broken character in the game. That class is way to strong and tanky, has his never ending shield bash attack combos, and his guard cancels all combo strings almost serving as its own parries. There is a whole lot more to go on about the Conqueror, so I dnt feel like going into it (I do not main the Conqueror, but I know how all this crap works because I do use the Conqueror when I want to troll online)

To put it simple, patch and fix all this crap I listed and seriously change the Conqueror's data an insane amount, and the game should be pretty well and balanced.

But it would be nice if this game gave you more options of creativity.

Despite all of these facts, I do enjoy For Honor, but the unbalanced parts can be quite frustrating. Considering the Kinsei is the most balanced of the 12 classes, he is the one I like to main and I consider to be the most fun class out of all of them.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:01 PM, Humongous Chungus said:

Honestly, I've played 5 full games (For Honor, Zombi, AC Syndicate, AC Freedom Cry and Lords Of The Fallen) .. For Honor's online is ridiculous, no one in the right mind would pick p2p after having previous when the game requires split second actions. The other 4 ... all of them crashed or had a game breaking bug of some form, Lord Of The Fallen couldn't even wait 10 minutes without crashing lol. 

Both AC games were just filled to the brim of bugs, I didn't bother with Lords Of The Shit after it failing to hold it up for more than 10 minutes and Zombi was a fun game, let down by the gamebreaking bug.

Maybe I just have bad luck with their games but 4 of the 5 AAA titles I've played from them in the PS3/PS4 from them have broken and the 5th has the worse online connectivity out of any game I've played online. Even EA's servers are better xD

Wow, am sorry for your game breaking bad luck friend, I have never had those issues.

7 hours ago, JOEYGGDXDREAPER7 said:

This game has some serious issues, but a lot of potential to be a fun and balnced game. The problems I see are the following:

- The (sometimes) unstaggerable guard frames in Shugouki attacks are a bit rediculous (plus the grab is infuriating, but there is actually nothing wrong with that move, it is just good)

- The Raider is not so bad, but a high damage / high armor build with the constant unblockable spam attack is a bit much at times (plus getting throw and carried forever is annoying, but it is balanced to an extent)

- The Warlord I would say is balanced, but his jumping over head and head butt attacks are way too OP and spammable (and most Warlords spam that move)

- The Berserker has some never ending frame locks that majority of the classes can not do much to stop it are a bit much (and his one oddly hard to cancel guard break move)

- The Valkyrie is probably the 2nd most OP class in the game with her never ending sheild bash sweep attack combo that leaves you completely disabled

- The Warden's never ending 1 attack guard break strings are a little OP (and his running side swing locks on and lunges him with a strong lighting fast attack from like 20 or 30 feet away)

- The Lawbringer is pretty balanced, his stats are just off the charts and the mover where he pins you on the end of his halberd and pushes you forever is broken as hell.

- The Conqueror is the most OP and broken character in the game. That class is way to strong and tanky, has his never ending shield bash attack combos, and his guard cancels all combo strings almost serving as its own parries. There is a whole lot more to go on about the Conqueror, so I dnt feel like going into it (I do not main the Conqueror, but I know how all this crap works because I do use the Conqueror when I want to troll online)

To put it simple, patch and fix all this crap I listed and seriously change the Conqueror's data an insane amount, and the game should be pretty well and balanced.

Despite all of these facts, I do enjoy For Honor, but the unbalanced parts can be quite frustrating. Considering the Kinsei is the most balanced of the 12 classes, he is the one I like to main and I consider to be the most fun class out of all of them.

Wow, am sorry for your game breaking bad luck friend, I have never had those issues.

Eh it happens, I do agree the game has balancing issues though, can't vbelieve they boosted Orochi and Nubushi LOL xD They were the ones that needed nerfing lol.

I th

On 4/9/2017 at 6:38 AM, JOEYGGDXDREAPER7 said:

Honestly I think Shugoki needs a buff. He has no good openers, and his two hit combo is always parried or blocked if the first hit somehow managed to land. All of his moves take so long to hit, and if you don't have that attack all the way up, you do pitiful damage unless you charge an attack. You can't dodge grabs because of how slow he moves, meaning you can't do anything but mash square. And if you fight a Peacekeeper, you will always lose. I ran a test with a friend, and on console at least, you can't change your guard stance quickly enough to stop her light combo. I had him tell me the combo he was going to do, let him hit me once, then tried to block the rest of the combo. Couldn't do it. 

Well, at this point, I am more or less done with the PVP in this game. I love this game a lot (I really do). But the game does not need balancing done on all the classes to really make it the best game that it can be (many classes have OP exploitable BS, but my Kinsei can manage just fine in 1v4 scenarios as well as 1v1 and everything in between thank goodness). But I am done with the PVP in this game because For Honor has hands down one of the worst and most toxic online communities I have ever had the displeasure of being a part of. I honestly think the taste I would get from licking my own ass would be better than the taste the online community has left in my mouth. They all just spam cheap BS, run away if they are losing, and send god knows how many rage messages when the match is over. Oh, I 1v2 your Valkyrie and Conqueror Team in Brawl with my Kinsei and I am the cheap cancerous player. Wow, I know babies that are more mature and have more balls and skill then the losers that play PVP in this game. It is terrible that such an Amazing game has gotten such a bad rep from poor trophy programming and an even shittier online community. RIP For Honor, was fun when it wasn't terrible. I did enjoy the Play of Story tho! I hope the community gets better one day!

• 1 month later...

This is how I see talk between developers at the For Honor dev team. 

-Hey how's that DLC coming? 

-Well it's not balanced yet so maybe in a few weeks we'll be ready to launch. 

-Screw it drop it now. 

-But you do know that every other move Centurion has is either an unblockable or stun. 

-I don't care release it. We need to give people OP characters to make it seem like they didn't waste their money. Then after a week we'll drop a 20GB patch that won't really fix anything. 

-But Centurion has a very long combo that can almost take out half of Shugoki's health. 

-Release it. And while you're at it, make Shinobi dodge around like a huge bitch so he never gets hit. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Dang, I was really looking forward to this. If I could afford it, I would have bought the more expensive options. If the trophies weren't broken I would probably push it out. Guess I will write off the 60 dollar loss. So sad games have gone up in price and down in quality. Old school never had problems with it, you bought a physical copy that could not be updated so therefore the game usually worked all the way through.

Sad to hear no single player too, or a poor one. Why Star Wars Battlefront fizzled, online is nice and needed nowadays but single player has to exist. Videos I saw had decent play value it looked, everything looked fair and legit and so epic. May stop buying games. Spending so much and not getting 60 dollars worth, started becoming a trophy hunter, started getting games I normally wouldn't and my wallet is feeling it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just had to share this story on this thread, since it kind of sums up the MP matches.

When I first played the games multiplayer, I decide to play an 1v1 duel with another player and tried to get the trophy Duelist. What happen is that I though he was going to beat me easily since he had alot most experience than me, as I've head the game has quite a learning gap. So I kind of accidently resourced to a cheap tactic of winnign, by throwing him off a ledges.

I've ending up throwing him three times, winning the duel.

I got the trophy, but I felt so bad afterwards because I didn't expected to win my first match so easily as it proves that this game is so brocken. To top it off, the other player send one chat message; "really!" and I was done for that day.

For Honor, more like For Dishonor.

Edited by Pershing24