MGO 2 On OFW

Senbon Kaguya

https://savemgo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=255

For all you MGO 2 lovers, MGO 2 will be available on OFW PS3s sometime in April.

All you will need is a USB that can hold 6 GBs worth or so, an OFW ps3 and the rest you can find out in the thread and later updates. This has made me so happy and I cannot wait to play again! Thanks meepy and one of my other friends informing me about this.

• Like 1

Wow, that's truly amazing. I wonder how did they gather the resources to make a new server.

If Konami didn't have money/interest to keep them alive, I can't believe that an online community is bringin them back.

I see that they are using the restore a backup method to introduce modified software in game data.

So, this means that any game servers can be brought back to life if you have money and really dedicated 'hackers' to modify game patches to change server's addresses that games try to connect to and redirect them to your servers.

That's brilliant.

1 hour ago, totallycrushed said:

Wondering how they got past the Konami ID bullshit

Lots of hours figuring out the protocols and requests the game asks for when trying to login. The custom server still uses the IDs to login to the game, but without the hassle of signing up it gave back on the original servers.

30 minutes ago, charlijaen said:

Wow, that's truly amazing. I wonder how did they gather the resources to make a new server.

Depending on the game, some would be easier to bring back than others. There was packet captures available when bringing the game back which, for any game makes things significantly easier to see what the game requests between the server and game more clearly. MGO2 also shared some similarities between the first Metal Gear online (MGS3 Subsistence) which was revived before MGO2. The game also doesn't use PSN whatsoever, apart from age verification when accessing the game when the server was still up.

• Like 1

please be aware that this is still kinda "hacking", even if it will run on OFW, since this works by modifying your PS3 backup data or more specifically modifying game data IN your ps3 backup data. an exploit that has been around for some time afaik and is definitely a violation of sonys ToS and thus a ban-able offense.

i definitely wouldn't recommend trying this on your main account!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dernop said:

please be aware that this is still kinda "hacking", even if it will run on OFW, since this works by modifying your PS3 backup data or more specifically modifying game data IN your ps3 backup data. an exploit that has been around for some time afaik and is definitely a violation of sonys ToS and thus a ban-able offense.

i definitely wouldn't recommend trying this on your main account!

Very unlikely you'd get banned for this. All you will be doing is backing up from your USB in order to transfer the MGO2 1.36 game data to your console, which is spoofed on version 2.00 to avoid asking you to update the game to the latest version which removed MGO from the games menu, your PS3 wont know the difference.

Don't see why anyone would bother being singed into PSN on their main account while playing anyway, there's no point. Sony doesn't even bother doing much to ban people CFW these days, or make secure ways to avoid people unbanning themselves.infinitely with generated CIDs. Chances of being banned for doing this are next to nothing.

Edited by Meepy-
  • Like 1

Man this brings back memories. I played the hell out of MGO when it came out with my friend passing the controller back and forth. Sniping the heck out of everyone mmm. 

But I probably won't do it because I've had my fill and then some, but it's really nice to hear that it would be possible again.

The nostalgia!! 

• 2 months later...