Having recently reviewed Shallie Plus and Sophie, Firis is definitely a big surprise. Its open-world approach enhances its naturally addictive gameplay while it also makes the game world slightly less endearing. A couple of downsides are that it features repetitive caves and plenty of NPC clones (creepy!) However, the new approach to the series is undeniably great and a step in the right direction. So, here's hoping they iron out some of the wrinkles before the 3rd Mysterious game arrives.

8.5 out of 10 [Read my full Atelier Firis review for more of my thoughts]

Have you played Firis yet? What do you think of it so far?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AJ Maciejewski said:

However, if you don't take the exam within a year of starting then you have to start all over again.

That should have been a bad ending trophy. I'm kinda missing that aspect of older Atelier lists =D

10 hours ago, AJ Maciejewski said:

Don't think so because the game goes on forever after you pass the alchemy exam.

Even with unlimited time, you can have missable trophies like in Soph =D

On 3/10/2017 at 5:48 AM, ElEyeman said:

I Got so tempted to buy this one though, can't lie.

Sophie first, though :P

I'm a bit concerned about open-world. I've never been a fan of open-worlds but the fact they returned time limit at least for the main game is awesome.

Something about the review itself.

I must admit, although stories in previous Atelier games can be considered insignificant for the most part

Come on, you can't mean that seriously. Ignoring Alchemy itself, stories are the most important part of Atelier games. :/

you'll meet loads of familiar characters such as Oskar (who is now much skinnier), Escha, Logy, Fritz, and Pamela

Loli Escha :awesome: 

Uncovering the huge maps while unlocking campfire points (which you can then warp to)

Does this take time like moving between locations in previous Ateliers?

My only other complaint is that Atelier Sophie granted you freedom to accomplish tasks at your own pace while Firis has a strict time limit for her quest to become an alchemist. 

THIS
IS
THE 
BEST
THING!

Atelier = time limit

Without time limits, it's not Atelier. I felt incredibly weird playing Soph =D

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Come on, you can't mean that seriously. Ignoring Alchemy itself, stories are the most important part of Atelier games. :/

Oh, I didn't mean it like that. :o

I meant like most other stories are about things like keeping your atelier open, etc. That can be considered insignificant compared to Firis' journey to prove herself and finally leave her dusty old village.

I understand that many fans prefer the time limit but I find that they get in the way especially in Firis where you may have to start the whole game all over again. I guess it all depends on your personal preference. :)

As for your question about if warping takes time, I'm not entirely sure. If it does then it's insignificant enough to not notice.

On 11/3/2017 at 4:56 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Sophie first, though :P

I'm a bit concerned about open-world. I've never been a fan of open-worlds but the fact they returned time limit at least for the main game is awesome.

Something about the review itself.

Yeah, definitely! :)

On 3/10/2017 at 5:33 PM, AJ Maciejewski said:

Don't think so because the game goes on forever after you pass the alchemy exam. However, if you don't take the exam within a year of starting then you have to start all over again.

Less missable trophies is a bonus for me. I'd rather enjoy the story first without having to worry about getting trophies that if I don't get require me to start the story from the beginning. I've only played Atelier Escha & Logy and I screwed up on that so that's on an indefinite hold. 

I am really enjoying this game but the open world and time limit combo is throwing me a little I am now lost in some forest and the days keep dropping rapidly... I am going to consider this run a wash but the game is still super fun and I would recommend it!!

• Like 1