4.50 Update : Patch Notes & Thoughts

Taylor

Since the Update thread is a mess and the OP hasn't been updated in a long time, I made this so anyone can just click and know about the changes without having to look for it in that other messy update thread.

This is a pretty big and interesting update, don't hesitate to share your opinions about it ! Here are the full release notes along with my opinion :

Release Notes:

Main features in version 4.50 update

• You can now use a USB storage device to install applications, or move applications from your PS4’s system storage. The following USB storage devices can be used. Select(Settings) > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], select the connected USB storage device, and then format it for use as extended storage.* External hard disk drive
  1. USB 3.0 or later
  2. 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity

That's probably the best thing in this update. We finally get external HDD support.

• The quick menu is now more user friendly. Creating, joining, and other party features are even easier to access.

As someone who uses parties all the time, this is GREAT.

• (Notifications) has been redesigned. All notifications now appear in a single list.

Worst change in the update. The Notifications screen is now a complete mess.

• When using Remote Play on a Windows® PC, Mac, Xperia™ Smartphone, or Xperia™ Tablet, you can now use your device’s microphone for voice chat in games or in parties.

I don't use the app e non my pho(as I can't download it on my Xperia M2 idk why thanks Sony) but on PC, and that's a great addition to the app.

• You can now use screenshots to customize the background of your home screen and function screen. Select(Settings) > [Themes] > [Select Theme] > [Custom].

Yes ! Finally ! Customization is key IMO, I can finally put e-dubble (RIP :( ) or Ghost Town as my background :D !.

• You can now post screenshots directly to activities, such as those shown in [What’s New]. Press the SHARE button, select [Screenshot], and then select [Activities] as the upload destination.Also, you can now tag games and fellow players.

Tagging players is actually good, as players do not use What's New enough IMO, while it's a great social tool.

• You can now post animated GIFs to activities and social applications.

GIF support ? Let the memes in kids

• Your status is now visible as(Mobile) when you sign in to an application such as(PlayStation App), even when you are away from your PS4 system. This means you are available to communicate with Friends.

THAT is great. People can finally know if I'm playing or just talking through my phone.

• You can now make a party public or private even after the party has been created. Select(Party) > [Party Settings] > [Party Privacy].

As I often make parties from friend's profiles, and that it makes it private for some reason, that's good to be able to save time and change it instead of making a new party.

• PlayStation VR now supports Blu-ray 3D™ content.

Anyone with the PS VR that could share their opinion on that ? I don't have it.

Other features in version 4.50

• The PS4 system you use to sign in to PlayStation Network for the first time is now automatically activated as your primary PS4 system.

That's actually not that useful, as me and my BFF are gamesharing our different profiles. 

• As a parent or guardian, you can now easily create sub accounts for your children when creating your master account.

I'm not a parent and I don't like the idea of sub-accounts, but I guess that's a plus. 

• You can now upload or download saved data right from the home screen. Press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Upload/Download Saved Data].

I don't use this feature but that's a good thing if you play a lot of solo games.

• You now have the option to share screenshots on PlayStation Network. When sharing, you can also adjust privacy settings.

I was looking forward to this feature being added, I'm glad it's finally here :D 

• You can now launch(SHAREfactory) right from(Capture Gallery). Press the OPTIONS button while viewing(Capture Gallery), and then select [Edit in SHAREfactory].

Another minor but useful feature for people using SHAREfactory.

• You can now change the color of your profile screen to match the cover image. On your profile screen, select(Options) > [Change Cover Image] > [Change Background Color].

YESSS. Finally ! Another thing we can customize :D 

• When reporting inappropriate content, you can now preview your report before sending.

Why not.

• The design of(PS4 Remote Play) for Xperia™ has been updated.

I'll check it out later on my PC.

• When you receive a party invitation, you can now respond from(Messages) or(PS Messages) with a quick reply.

That's nice to be able to quick reply instead of opening the whole messages menu.

• Your profile screen cover image on your PS4 system is now displayed in(PS Messages).

Why not. I'm down for anything related to customization.

• Cinematic mode image quality on PlayStation VR has been improved.

Again, can anyone with the PS VR test that out and share if it looks a lot better or if it's barely noticable ? 

Source : My own PS4 & http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/03/09/ps4-update-4-50-now-prepare-external-hdds

Edited by furryTay
Added reason to make this thread instead of commenting on the main Update thread.
  • Like 1

Just now, GalrenStormbow said:

There's actually a pinned firmware topic where the discussion goes.

I know, but the OP hasn't been updated in ages and you need to go looking for the only person posting the patch notes to actually know what changed.

I made this so it is easier than go and look for it in this messy thread, as well as to share my thought change per change.