Is This Game's Platinum Really That Hard?

I actually looked at the guide for the first time (I did this Platinum blind) and I noticed that it's 60 whole hours and a 6/10 difficulty...which is absolutely bonkers. First of all I'm sure we're all aware of how amazing a game TLOU is, meaning playing this game extensively is no chore, but I seriously did not feel this Platinum being difficult when I went for it. Survivor is straightforward, along with collectibles and such. From what I've seen it seems as though the Multiplayer is where there are problems. Personally I enjoyed the MP a lot, I played it till I was level 84, but it looks like everyone hates it and it takes forever getting through those 12 weeks from what I've observed. How was TLOU Platinum for you? Hard, easy, or normal? If so what bothered you about it if anything?

Honestly, I loved the single player part of the game.  I have beat the original single player on Survivor, and the remastered version on Grounded.  Enjoyed every challenge the game threw at me.  I just could not get into the multiplayer.  Its not that it is bad, its more that style of multiplayer just isn't for me.  In all honesty, I find it much more difficult to lose to another human than I do to run up against a brick wall AI.  I can work on improving to beat the AI, as they don't get any better.  I feel that any improvements I make playing Multiplayer are overshadowed because everyone else is improving right along with me.  I just lose interest very quickly.

I put off the multiplayer for about a year because i don't like multiplayer trophies and these are like 40 hours. But once i started doing it i got hooked. Got the Remastered plat first and the bought the game on ps3 and did it all over again, now i have both plats. Amazing game, can't wait for part II

Edited by linkdevivo
  • Like 2

I found it to be easy and really enjoyed the MP as it was something new and unique. It does not take long at all to get to the 12 weeks. The only thing that bothered me is at the start I watched and played the opening sequence like 20 times as it is seriously the best opening to a game I have ever played lol

• Like 1

The platinum is incredibly easy actually. 

Hard difficulty isn't actually hard, grounded is easy compared to the Uncharted's hardest difficulties. 

The mp is a bit of a grind, but that's about it. 

I think it has a 6/10 because it's beloved by the masses, therefore a lot of casuals play it and this might be like platinum #7 for them lol.

In reality it's like a 5/10 at most, pretty bang average in terms of difficulty.  

• Like 2

I found it moderately difficult. Doing the campaign on the hardest difficulty was what posed the biggest problem for me, but that was easily enough solved with a quick refer to YouTube for the best routes through the stealth sections. I had zero problems with the multiplayer, I actually think it's the best multiplayer I've ever played. Normally I sick at pvp but was quite decent at this due to the slower pace. 

• Like 2

Played and plat'd this long ago on the PS3. I was worried about the difficulty, but after having completed the game on Normal, I didn't have too many issues with Survivor. Granted, I took advantage of the glitch to go straight to Survivor+, but still. I probably didn't die more than 10 times. I thought it was a decent challenge, though. I had to be very cautious and no listening mode did make things tense, but playing in this way is probably why I didn't die very much. It was definitely a very fun experience, I think a 5/10 is about right as far as the difficulty goes.

• Like 3

The hardest part of it was finding motivation to suffer through the boring campaign and bad multiplayer for so long.

The actual game itself was pretty easy. MP has exploits for skipping most of the days (thank god), single player has plenty of checkpoints so it ends up being simple trial and error most of the time (or you can follow a video guide).

Oh but there was one part that really annoyed me

Spoiler

There's a night-time section when you're with Henry where you have to get through a gate. You and Henry start next to 2 guys. You're supposed to stealth kill one while Henry does the other at the same time.

More often than not, Henry was broken and didn't do as he was supposed to, so the second guy noticed me and killed me while I was busy choking the first guy.

The AI in this was garbage.

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that regardless of how people rate difficult platinums, they are subjective because someone else may disagree. 

Wolfenstein: The New Order is often given a 3 or 4 out of 10 for platinum difficulty. I give it around a 5 because I struggled in some parts on Uber. Also, I suck at first person shooters, so a challenging game that most people rate a 7 or 8 is a 9 or 10 for me. 

I haven't played through The Last of Us, but I can probably agree with the 5 or 6 out of 10 rating.

Also we need to realize that since we're a trophy hunting community, along with Playstationtrophies.org, there are going to be very skilled players, so what we rate as difficult will likely be extreme or next to impossible for the casual and average player.

Super Meat Boy has one of the most respected platinums out there. The game is famous among gamers, but across multiple platforms it is on (Steam, Xbox, PlayStation consoles), a good 99 percent of all players can never hope to beat the game. It requires extreme skills and patience. But people have made it through. 

We should be thankful we can get a game like The Last of Us completely finished, because most people probably can't do it and are not trophy hunters. 

I'm done rambling for now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, turpinator1986 said:

I found it moderately difficult. Doing the campaign on the hardest difficulty was what posed the biggest problem for me, but that was easily enough solved with a quick refer to YouTube for the best routes through the stealth sections. I had zero problems with the multiplayer, I actually think it's the best multiplayer I've ever played. Normally I sick at pvp but was quite decent at this due to the slower pace. 

Best Multiplayer you've ever played? Well there's something you don't see everyday.

6 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

Honestly, I loved the single player part of the game.  I have beat the original single player on Survivor, and the remastered version on Grounded.  Enjoyed every challenge the game threw at me.  I just could not get into the multiplayer.  Its not that it is bad, its more that style of multiplayer just isn't for me.  In all honesty, I find it much more difficult to lose to another human than I do to run up against a brick wall AI.  I can work on improving to beat the AI, as they don't get any better.  I feel that any improvements I make playing Multiplayer are overshadowed because everyone else is improving right along with me.  I just lose interest very quickly.

Yes I too love the SP, and that's understandable. There are those that don't enjoy the competition to MP and you seem to be one of them, cool.

6 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

I put off the multiplayer for about a year because i don't like multiplayer trophies and these are like 40 hours. But once i started doing it i got hooked. Got the Remastered plat first and the bought the game on ps3 and did it all over again, now i have both plats. Amazing game, can't wait for part II

Haha yeah I never thought this Multiplayer would have me playing for so long.

6 hours ago, REDSHIRT64 said:

I found it to be easy and really enjoyed the MP as it was something new and unique. It does not take long at all to get to the 12 weeks. The only thing that bothered me is at the start I watched and played the opening sequence like 20 times as it is seriously the best opening to a game I have ever played lol

Indeed the MP is something you don't see everyday, although if they actually put some effort into it it could've been even more phenomenal than it already is.

6 hours ago, kuuhaku said:

I'm confused. Are you saying it's less than slightly above average difficulty? 6/10 is slightly above average.

No I disagree, most games are a 4. I rarely ever see difficulties above 5, especially for Naughty Dog games.

6 hours ago, totallycrushed said:

I think 6/10 difficulty rating is pretty on point if you look 5/10 as average. It's not too hard if you're into it but casually it's something else. I couldn't get into the MP at all and I just don't like ND's higher difficulty sets at all.

What's wrong with their difficulty sets?

5 hours ago, madbuk said:

The hardest part of it was finding motivation to suffer through the boring campaign and bad multiplayer for so long.

The actual game itself was pretty easy. MP has exploits for skipping most of the days (thank god), single player has plenty of checkpoints so it ends up being simple trial and error most of the time (or you can follow a video guide).

Oh but there was one part that really annoyed me

Hide contents

There's a night-time section when you're with Henry where you have to get through a gate. You and Henry start next to 2 guys. You're supposed to stealth kill one while Henry does the other at the same time.

More often than not, Henry was broken and didn't do as he was supposed to, so the second guy noticed me and killed me while I was busy choking the first guy.

The AI in this was garbage.

I'm sorry, but did you say the campaign is BORING? I think you may have a few screws loose sir.

5 hours ago, TheYuriG said:

Since when 6 means hard? It's average

It isn't. Most Platinums don't cross 5 in difficulty when you look at it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

No I disagree, most games are a 4. I rarely ever see difficulties above 5, especially for Naughty Dog games.

5/10 is 50%. 50% are harder and 50% are easier. 5/10 is average.

If you use another system where the x in x/10 really means 10^x, I'd agree that games are rarely over 5 then.

2 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

If you use another system where the x in x/10 really means 10^x, I'd agree that games are rarely over 5 then.

What I mean to say is most games are below 5 in difficulty. Obviously 5 is the numerical mean of 10 but in this context, 5 is an above average difficulty for a game. I know it's a little weird trying to put this into words...

2 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

What I mean to say is most games are below 5 in difficulty. Obviously 5 is the numerical mean of 10 but in this context, 5 is an above average difficulty for a game. I know it's a little weird trying to put this into words...

I'm working on the Platinium right now actually, got all the trophies except the Firefly one! It's not that hard though, the only thing that bothers me about the game is the MP trophies even though it's pretty great! They take much more time than the single-player ones do! I'd give it 5/10 :wave: 

• Like 1

I played the game through about 5 times and didn't have it in me to play a 6th on Grounded, but as far as the platinum is concerned, I don't think it's too challenging. You just have to be a tiny bit strategic in how you tackle the MP and practice a bit with Survivor. I found Crushing on Uncharted way more difficult to beat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Best Multiplayer you've ever played? Well there's something you don't see everyday.

I have really slow reflexes so the slower pace of this suits me a lot better than the frantic play of online on pretty much every other game ever made lol. I got the trophies for this no problem at all and doing both journeys I found really enjoyable. I didn't have any problems at all coming up against the really high level people in this game either. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with the online on part 2. 

• Like 1

I think 6/10 is a fair score. I mean by definition its slightly above average which makes sense. For me completing a game on its hardest difficulty setting in most cases warrants at least 5. I'd say the ability to fail and have to restart MP would be worth +1 to the plat difficulty. I'd disagree with anything higher though. The SP campaign isn't too hard and even then there are exploits to make it easier. The multiplayer doesn't require you to top any leaderboards either

5 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

It isn't. Most Platinums don't cross 5 in difficulty when you look at it.

Don't use your personal example as a general rule, you play easy games and that's why you consider this hard because it's slightly above average. Game is what a casual player might need to take a look in a guide for, but actual scarred trophy hunters won't have trouble with more than a spot or two

• Like 3

I find the difficulty to be just below average. I'd give it a 4/10.

The real difficulty for me is to get me to play this game. I have mentioned it sometimes now, I loved the story back on PS3, liked the Multiplayer, but gave up really fast on the trophies..

Then I replayed it when it releaed on PS4 but stopped halfway through.

And now I've replayed the whole thing yet again - started the Survivor+ Run - abandoned the whole thing again. 

It's not that it's hard or stressful or anything - It is just a giant fucking, slow walking borefest.

The story and the characters are nice but if you just played through the damn thing you don't want to hear every word again. 90% of the game feels like a huge unskippable Cutscene. In fucking addition to the actual skippable Cutscenes. Like god damnit, let me fucking walk faster then a Granny with broken limbs.

It's like hearing a joke the fourth time (Or like watching the Simpsons nowadays). It's. just. not. funny. anymore. 

In addition to that, you actually literally hear some jokes a fourth time.

HA....Ha.....hA......

Ha.

6 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

I'm sorry, but did you say the campaign is BORING? I think you may have a few screws loose sir.

I mean, I'm not the one that goes around calling things gay as if that's supposed to be a bad thing, nor do I go around accusing games of giving me cancer.

TLoU is simply bad and dull all around. You could see everything that happens in the generic cliche plot coming from a mile away. The gameplay is broken and bad, the AI doesn't work how the lore says they're supposed to, and the DLC shenanigans made me dislike the game even more. Expiring season passes before all the content is released, and outright lying about that content, is NOT okay. Naughty Dog are the only company who would get away with this bullshit because, hey, they're Naughty Dog, they can do whatever they fucking want and fans will just sit there and take it (and then try and defend it even though it's not in their best interest to do so).

In regards to the plot, some major spoilers, but you really shouldn't be surprised by them even if you haven't played the game yet

Spoiler

Everything about this game was touted as a journey with Ellie and Joel. From the front cover, to the trailers, to all the marketing statements. Because of this, and the fact it's an incredibly generic zombie apocalypse plot, you knew that as soon as they introduced new characters, like Henry, Tess, Sarah etc. that they would find a way to kill them off. The only thing in the plot I didn't see coming is Joel's brother(?) leaving before he had a chance to be killed, and the ending (which really should've given the player a choice, but no, Joel's choice is forced upon the player).

Because of this predictability, none of the deaths held any weight. I just sat there during Sarah's death like "huh, so this is when she dies." The same was true with Tess and Henry. There was no emotional impact.

Now, a bad plot usually wouldn't be a problem. Most games have a bad plot. However, it's a huge focus in TLoU, with a cutscene every couple of minutes, so the flaws really cannot be ignored. Uncharted has the same problem of having such a large focus on a terrible plot.

The platinum difficulty is way too overrated for this game. Sure, I'll admit that I had a few troubles completing the game on Grounded+ difficulty, but it wasn't that bad. Takes a long time, but it's really simple and straightforward. And yes, I know that I haven't obtained the plat on my account yet, but I did obtain it twice (PS3/PS4) on my old account. :P

You only have to play through it twice if you utilize the exploit, and the Factions mode will probably take up most of your time. I simply just love that multiplayer, and I'm enjoying it as well to this day. The story is amazing, and I wouldn't mind playing through it a few more times even though I've probably completed it 7-8 times since 2013. xD

16 minutes ago, madbuk said:

TLoU is simply bad and dull all around. You could see everything that happens in the generic cliche plot coming from a mile away. The gameplay is broken and bad, the AI doesn't work how the lore says they're supposed to, and the DLC shenanigans made me dislike the game even more.

What the hell?

Edited by gameoncomrade
  • Like 2