Anyone ever get banned from PSN?

opikal

So I woke up this morning, booted up my PS4 and it was signed out. So I try to sign back in and get this code, WS-37368-7 saying I'm banned for violating the terms of service. Last night I had a problem with PayPal, I was trying to fund my wallet and it wouldn't use my balance, wanted to use my card. I hit the button maybe 5 times trying to make it work before giving up and just buying a psn card with PayPal on another site. Is that really a violation? Jeez. I own like 600 or more games on psn I hope this isn't permanent.

Yes, there are plenty of people who has been banned on PSN. I haven't.

If you think it has to do with PayPal, then contact Sony about it.

The message does however tell you to check your e-mail for more info. Have you done that?

WS-37368-7    Error Code:

This PSN account has been banned

This PlayStation Network account has been banned from accessing PSN services for violating our Terms of Service and User Agreement. Please check the e-mail account that's associated with the account for further information.

I have issues sometimes where it charges me twice in that situation but never been banned for it. Never reported it either cause it's only ever been for a couple quid and couldn't be bothered with the hassle of arguing with them about it. Incidentally, my only experience of getting in trouble with Sony was when they gave me a final warning for telling someone to f**k off who was sending me 10+ Abusive messages every single day. Yeah, great work Sony...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Yes, there are plenty of people who has been banned on PSN. I haven't.

If you think it has to do with PayPal, then contact Sony about it.

The message does however tell you to check your e-mail for more info. Have you done that?

No email as of yet. I will live chat them when their business hours start soon. Man reading their TOS, seems stupid to even buy anything digital, as it can all be taken away at any moment.

20 minutes ago, opikal said:

So I woke up this morning, booted up my PS4 and it was signed out. So I try to sign back in and get this code, WS-37368-7 saying I'm banned for violating the terms of service. Last night I had a problem with PayPal, I was trying to fund my wallet and it wouldn't use my balance, wanted to use my card. I hit the button maybe 5 times trying to make it work before giving up and just buying a psn card with PayPal on another site. Is that really a violation? Jeez. I own like 600 or more games on psn I hope this isn't permanent.

Like others said, contact Sony. When I was banned it was the first thing I did, they tell you what kind of ban was issued. 

10 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Doubt that's why you got banned, they could ban you for retracting payment but I don't think that's what happened since it's paypal and i doubt you asked for a refund. Did you play online recently? 

Last time I played online was the division, only thing I can think of there was when I went into the dark zone for the first time, some kid tried to kill me for picking up loot or something I have no idea. I killed him twice before leaving he just kept coming back. That was the 12th of last month.

4 minutes ago, opikal said:

Last time I played online was the division, only thing I can think of there was when I went into the dark zone for the first time, some kid tried to kill me for picking up loot or something I have no idea. I killed him twice before leaving he just kept coming back. That was the 12th of last month.

Weird. Not even some messages have been sent lately either? Usually they give a temp ban before these kinds of things

3 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Weird. Not even some messages have been sent lately either? Usually they give a temp ban before these kinds of things

I keep getting some kinda scammy msgs about psn cards in my notifications these past few months for some reason. Other than that I haven't event talked to anyone.

4 minutes ago, opikal said:

I keep getting some kinda scammy msgs about psn cards in my notifications these past few months for some reason. Other than that I haven't event talked to anyone.

I have gotten so many of those messages in the past few moths too.  Big party chats with upwards to 60 people and only one person talking about free psn cards

Just now, jasondm300 said:

I have gotten so many of those messages in the past few moths too.  Big party chats with upwards to 60 people and only one person talking about free psn cards

And I'm the one being banned, while those jerks are still annoying everyone heh

45 minutes ago, opikal said:

No email as of yet. I will live chat them when their business hours start soon. Man reading their TOS, seems stupid to even buy anything digital, as it can all be taken away at any moment.

Check your spam folder. Also, I can't believe you're up to 600 some games and just now noticed how much there is to lose buying digital. I always wonder if every person needs to go through a scare to realize what they're agreeing to in the digital age.

Anyway, if you were signed out on your console I'm gonna wager someone got a hold of your account and did something to get banned. Do you have two factor authentication turned on? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Check your spam folder. Also, I can't believe you're up to 600 some games and just now noticed how much there is to lose buying digital. I always wonder if every person needs to go through a scare to realize what they're agreeing to in the digital age.

Anyway, if you were signed out on your console I'm gonna wager someone got a hold of your account and did something to get banned. Do you have two factor authentication turned on? 

No I don't have two step. I think it's all because of this payment thing, looks like they refunded each time I tried to add $10, even though my balance doesn't show it, the refunds are in my PayPal timeline. I'm guessing they think I owe them that money. Also the digital age, yea I was warned by my paranoid friend about digital content heh. I just bought a year of plus as well last week.

1 hour ago, opikal said:

It was likely due to your repeated attempts to make a paypal purchase.

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

Doubt that's why you got banned, they could ban you for retracting payment but I don't think that's what happened since it's paypal and i doubt you asked for a refund. Did you play online recently? 

Actually they can, it happened to a real life friend in december, he tried funding his account through paypal, when paypal was down, around 10 times, and sony banned his account for attempted fraud. Once he contacted their live chat, they unbanned his account in 2 days.

OP you're likely fine as soon as you contact customer support

• Like 1

Update from live chat -

Lois: Okay I was able to locate your account and it looks like what has been done is a hold was placed on the account to avoid any unauthorized or fraudulent activity on the account. I will be submitting your account to have the hold lifted and your account active again. This can take up to 24-48 business hours. You will receive an email informing you that the account is active along with a password reset.

Me: Ahh ok thanks, it wasn't fraudulent I was just drunk

Lois: Everything looks great on your account. Once the hold is removed in the next 24-48 hours you will have access to your account again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, opikal said:

Lois: Okay I was able to locate your account and it looks like what has been done is a hold was placed on the account to avoid any unauthorized or fraudulent activity on the account. I will be submitting your account to have the hold lifted and your account active again. This can take up to 24-48 business hours. You will receive an email informing you that the account is active along with a password reset.

Me: Ahh ok thanks, it wasn't fraudulent I was just drunk

Lois: Everything looks great on your account. Once the hold is removed in the next 24-48 hours you will have access to your account again.

xDxDxDxD

"I was just drunk"!... Haaaa.

Thanks for making me squirt Coke Zero out my nose. 

___

I got an account banned once. Guy was spamming me with messages saying he'd noticed me on this forum and would I like to buy a level 100 account... Reported his ass and Sony was pleased to let me know what they did to him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, opikal said:

This is a chargeback ban.. I've had it before due to PayPal. All you need to do is buy a PSN top up card that covers the value that you owe.. call PlayStation and give them the code.. they will apply it to your account to cover the debt.. the ban will be lifted within a few days...

There will be no detremental effect on your account. So it won't go against you as like a warning or anything..

It happens a lot with PayPal. When it happened to me it was because PlayStation themselves didn't take the payment properly

At least Sony are friendly and willing to help about bans...

I uploaded a video to YouTube showing how I was buying games on my windows phone. Then a week later they had been deleted from the store and had become unusable. I stated that I had contacted Microsoft regarding a refund for these apps and they had refused...

within 24 hours of uploading the video, my Xbox live account was permanently banned for slander.. I tried calling Microsoft. They refused to talk to me and then basically said they won't remove the ban.. this was back in 2015... despite trying to fight it for months they won't do anything.. bunch of vindictive asshats

3 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I think a lot of people realize the risk, but take it because it's pretty minimal. Never had anyone lose there content from a big company like Sony "just because."

Have you had a big scare like that?

1 hour ago, GizMo_The_Great said:

I uploaded a video to YouTube showing how I was buying games on my windows phone. Then a week later they had been deleted from the store and had become unusable. I stated that I had contacted Microsoft regarding a refund for these apps and they had refused...

within 24 hours of uploading the video, my Xbox live account was permanently banned for slander.. I tried calling Microsoft. They refused to talk to me and then basically said they won't remove the ban.. this was back in 2015... despite trying to fight it for months they won't do anything.. bunch of vindictive asshats

D: What wonderful people. Good to know they have someone who spends his time scouring the internet looking for accounts to ban!

21 minutes ago, Orenn16 said:

I think a lot of people realize the risk, but take it because it's pretty minimal. Never had anyone lose there content from a big company like Sony "just because."

Have you had a big scare like that?

Nope because 99% of my games are physical. I've lived through too many digital goods companies falling off the face of the earth and revoking access to content with them. *cough* PlaysForSure *cough*

I don't think people, in general, have assessed the risk in any way, shape or form until a scenario like this happens. Which wasn't for Sonys lulz, but rather a completely innocent incident.