Anyone else having problem on permadeath?

OJ9999vr

First of all the planet you spawn on is a pain, hostile creatures, to high/low temperature, acid rain or radioactivity. Then you spawn regularly 15min away from the ship, 5min if you are really lucky.

At this point I've spawned on a planet with high temperature, but away from the ship. You can't walk much more than 1min before finding a cave to hide in. So I got to the ship, then noticed you need a lot of resources (more than i can remember ). Just finding Heridium and Zinc is a pain with limited time, so i quickly made a USB backup save and started writing this post.

Update: Finally found all needed materials, but after a death i where reset to the start of the planet. Might have failed to save at the ship or you can only save at savepoints.

Update 2: Made it of the planet and into a trading station/space station, i had 2 enemy encounters on the way. But i figured out saves after leaving the ship works (somehow did something wrong), and compared to last time i played takeoff uses 92% fuel (actually 100%) compared to 25% before

Update 3: Managed to warp 2 times, one planet i were lucky enough to get no harsh wether conditions. But only lots of sentinel bots, which mostly were nowhere to be seen, so i stacked up on lots of plutonium and tarium9 (didn't remember the name). I've created 3 warp drives soon to be used, but nowhere near to upgrade warp distance. Don't make the same mistake, stay away from useless upgrades, focus on warp distance upgrades to shorten the time.

Update 4: Managed to find a blackhole, Zinc is rarely found and the same with Heridium. I set up a base on a cold moon, mainly to collect resources if the excocraft works as imagined. The distance to the center is now 178024.5 Light-years

Update 5: Didn't make a lot of progress toward the center maybe 200-500 Light-years. I finished the exocraft, which didn't have much use in this case. But I managed to find a new ship (most spaces were broken), which i traded in (had to pay 50.000 though). So now i'm able to carry more items, which is really helpful.

Update 6: Managed to upgrade my warp drive, so now i can warp up to 300 at a time, I also started focusing on path of atlas (got 8 stones), and getting better relationship with aliens, for hopefully a better warpdrive, saw a 400 at the beginning, which probably would have given me 500 or 700 if they stack. Distance is pretty much dead on 175000 Light-years.

Update 7: Starting to make some good progress, i finished the atlas path. And finally began upgrading my exosuit, alien relationship has increased (Gek is at 3rd highest) and my current distance is 168584.3 Light-years away from the center.

Update 8: Apparently i've warped a total of 66 times, Gek status is close to max. And i've strated to land near "call ship points" so i don't have to use any plutonium to take off. For now I'm not using any warp upgrades, because i take blackhole routes frequently. But if I can find the last 2 warp upgrades (400 and 800), I'll most likely stop using the black holes (It warps you around 1000-1500 Light-years each time). Fully upgraded and with bonuses you'll be able to warp atleast 1500 Light-years at a time. Current distance 155593.4 Light-years away.

Update 9: Barely made any progress, mainly because of a bad spawn after a blackhole (Almost no stars the path i was going). Upgraded my ship once again. And i found a really useful trick. Save before entering a blackhole, check the "map" if any blackholes are close by. If not reload the save and you'll appear at a different point. Current distance 151005.6 Light-years away.

Update 10: Not any huge differences, except i forgot to backup the save, so the entire time i've been playing today i could have risked loosing all progress since yesterday (all good now though). Also i've been starting to use a new strategy. Distance is now 137656.9 Light-years away.

Update 11: At this point in the game it's possible to keep going all the way to the center without landing on the planets anymore. I got 2,69m units, but it takes time to wait for traders and it also depends on if they got the item or if it's overpriced. Current distance 111479.1 Light-years away.

Update 12: Gek status is now maxed out and i've started buying all plutonium i come over (sounds so wrong), but i've hade some really good progress.

Current distance is now 74462.5 Light-years.

Update 13: Not much to say. Distance to the center is now 34617.1 Light-years.

Update 14: I'm literally one warp away from reaching the center, but i'm trying to get the reunion trophy first.

Final update: Had a pretty gamebreaking glitch, so to be on the safeside, i immediately went to the center. (Didn't want to start from scratch)

Only "Reunion" left, but the game doesn't update in realtime, so there might be more bases the currently viewable.

Edited by OJ9999vr

I started permadeath yesterday. I'm still on the first planet and I'm still on the way to my broken spaceship (spawned 20min away), but I already got all materials to repair the ship. Luckily my starting planet has many many caves so I'm slowly making my way. As for now I gotta say, while permadeath mode sure is annoying, it's not as bad as I had imagined. I'm afraid of space pirates though...

50 minutes ago, ShadowStefan said:

I started permadeath yesterday. I'm still on the first planet and I'm still on the way to my broken spaceship (spawned 20min away), but I already got all materials to repair the ship. Luckily my starting planet has many many caves so I'm slowly making my way. As for now I gotta say, while permadeath mode sure is annoying, it's not as bad as I had imagined. I'm afraid of space pirates though...

Space pirates isn't too bad, there are usually 1-2 spawning at a time. But as long as you're not looking for materials in space, then you should be good. Make sure to have backups though.

Also if you are lucky enough, from time to time space pirates are attacking freighters, so you'll basically be left alone to do anything you want.

Edited by OJ9999vr

You can do what you want if you want to avoid fighting altogether. If you want to join in, attacking either faction will raise some angry eyebrows - the freighter will call out for Sentinel starships. I found out the hard way and boom, back to square one and no zinc absolutely anywhere.

I managed to reach my ship and now I have to find the plans for the hyperdrive. Landed on the next planet where the beacon is, and I'm out of Thamium9 again, so I can't fly to the faculty with my ship, yay... :(

How do you guys tackle this mode in general? Just do the minimum and try to get to the center, or do you go out of your way to upgrade your ship and exo-suit? Do you build a base?

19 minutes ago, ShadowStefan said:

I managed to reach my ship and now I have to find the plans for the hyperdrive. Landed on the next planet where the beacon is, and I'm out of Thamium9 again, so I can't fly to the faculty with my ship, yay... :(

How do you guys tackle this mode in general? Just do the minimum and try to get to the center, or do you go out of your way to upgrade your ship and exo-suit? Do you build a base?

Might be plutonium you're missing to take off? But the game gets easier, once you've visited a few planets and collected some resorces.

Upgrading your ship is probably most useful, but upgrade all you can if you don't have to spend alot of money.

As for the base it's only useful if you can find good resorces, otherwise only for the "reunion" trophy, as you can find your coordinates and compare with others.

Took me 3hours to leave starting planet .  I had to hide in caves because extrem temperature at night. Was hard but fair... than i was going in space and boom dead because 3 pirats spawn and destroyed me.   TBH i like survival fair challenge ... but that pirat attack was absolutly BS. No way to avoid it ..... no options ... game just decided i should be dead. Im little bit salty because if you cant do against this rng deaths than it it less a challenge and more unfair crap.

Maybe i try another run someday ... but i dont know .

44 minutes ago, Xionx said:

Took me 3hours to leave starting planet .  I had to hide in caves because extrem temperature at night. Was hard but fair... than i was going in space and boom dead because 3 pirats spawn and destroyed me.   TBH i like survival fair challenge ... but that pirat attack was absolutly BS. No way to avoid it ..... no options ... game just decided i should be dead. Im little bit salty because if you cant do against this rng deaths than it it less a challenge and more unfair crap.

Maybe i try another run someday ... but i dont know .

No backups...wow. A helpful tip if you're against it, if you're near dieing pause the game, go to options and reload last save.

Has anyone made it to the center on permadeath yet and do we know if Survival will unlock alongside the Permadeath trophy?

I'm kinda looking forward to the challenge, but I'm not gonna start until I know for sure that I can achieve both in 1 run.

Just now, soniq said:

Has anyone made it to the center on permadeath yet and do we know if Survival will unlock alongside the Permadeath trophy?

I'm kinda looking forward to the challenge, but I'm not gonna start until I know for sure that I can achieve both in 1 run.

Nobody has it on Playstation yet, but this one guy on Steam modded his way to the center on permadeath mode. He unlocked the survival and permadeath achievements at the exact same time, so it looks like they unlock together. Which makes sense, since permadeath mode is just survival with no respawning.

I hope so, at least. I don't think I can do this once, let alone twice

12 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

Which makes sense, since permadeath mode is just survival with no respawning.

You would think so, but sometimes these things just don't make much sense and difficulties don't stack.

This sounds promising though. :)

I think this will be one playthrough over many months, where I make like 1 or 2 jumps each week. I don't think I can play this game for multiple hours per session anymore without getting burned out too quickly.

8 hours ago, OJ9999vr said:

No backups...wow. A helpful tip if you're against it, if you're near dieing pause the game, go to options and reload last save.

TBH i was not thinking about save scumming at this moment. I tried to survive the pirat attack.  So uploading , dieing and downloading save works? Because it would make risk flieing to space so much smaller.

57 minutes ago, Xionx said:

TBH i was not thinking about save scumming at this moment. I tried to survive the pirat attack.  So uploading , dieing and downloading save works? Because it would make risk flieing to space so much smaller.

Personally i'm using a USB, but i'm sure you can use cloud save, my account doesn't have PS+ so i can't confirm it

On 3/10/2017 at 9:40 PM, OJ9999vr said:

First of all the planet you spawn on is a pain, hostile creatures, to high/low temperature, acid rain or radioactivity. Then you spawn regularly 15min away from the ship, 5min if you are really lucky.

At this point I've spawned on a planet with high temperature, but away from the ship. You can't walk much more than 1min before finding a cave to hide in. So I got to the ship, then noticed you need a lot of resources (more than i can remember ). Just finding Heridium and Zinc is a pain with limited time, so i quickly made a USB backup save and started writing this post.

Update: Finally found all needed materials, but after a death i where reset to the start of the planet. Might have failed to save at the ship or you can only save at savepoints.

Update 2: Made it of the planet and into a trading station/space station, i had 2 enemy encounters on the way. But i figured out saves after leaving the ship works (somehow did something wrong), and compared to last time i played takeoff uses 92% fuel (actually 100%) compared to 25% before

Update 3: Managed to warp 2 times, one planet i were lucky enough to get no harsh wether conditions. But only lots of sentinel bots, which mostly were nowhere to be seen, so i stacked up on lots of plutonium and tarium9 (didn't remember the name). I've created 3 warp drives soon to be used, but nowhere near to upgrade warp distance. Don't make the same mistake, stay away from useless upgrades, focus on warp distance upgrades to shorten the time.

Update 4: Managed to find a blackhole, Zinc is rarely found and the same with Heridium. I set up a base on a cold moon, mainly to collect resources if the excocraft works as imagined. The distance to the center is now 178024.5 Light-years

Update 5: Didn't make a lot of progress toward the center maybe 200-500 Light-years. I finished the exocraft, which didn't have much use in this case. But I managed to find a new ship (most spaces were broken), which i traded in (had to pay 50.000 though). So now i'm able to carry more items, which is really helpful.

Update 6: Managed to upgrade my warp drive, so now i can warp up to 300 at a time, I also started focusing on path of atlas (got 8 stones), and getting better relationship with aliens, for hopefully a better warpdrive, saw a 400 at the beginning, which probably would have given me 500 or 700 if they stack. Distance is pretty much dead on 175000 Light-years.

Update 7: Starting to make some good progress, i finished the atlas path. And finally began upgrading my exosuit, alien relationship has increased (Gek is at 3rd highest) and my current distance is 168584.3 Light-years away from the center.

This actually sounds like a good AAR, imo. Keep on going!

And you missed that one opportunity to call it „Captain's log” instead of „Update” :giggle:

29 minutes ago, cryothan said:

Deleted...

First post and edited to this with "regret" as the edit explanation. Somehow I'm very curious what the original post was.

On topic: not going to bother with permadeath (or the game in general again) unless the sandworms, crashed freighters et cetera appear.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

First post and edited to this with "regret" as the edit explanation. Somehow I'm very curious what the original post was.

On topic: not going to bother with permadeath (or the game in general again) unless the sandworms, crashed freighters et cetera appear.

I thinkt it has something to do with that he got the permadeath trophy

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zettlock said:

This actually sounds like a good AAR, imo. Keep on going!

And you missed that one opportunity to call it „Captain's log” instead of „Update” :giggle:

Oh. Well didn't think of that, it wasn't my initial thought posting a log. "Day 36: water's running low, my space craft hasn't got enough fuel to make it out of here. I think someone is chewing on me while i'm sleeping, but i'm not sure. Either way this is going i'm not staying here for long". Think i'll just keep it simple for now. ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryKE said:

Fly back into the planet's atmosphere and return to space once you're at a safer distance.

Yeah, it works. But when you are in the middle of nowhere, you pretty much got 2 choices. 1. Fight or 2. Reload last save, i'm pretty sure you're not able to flee if that happened. I've also noticed something useful, in my spaceship in the lower left corner there is a screen with a circle. Once the outer circle runs out, pirates will start the scan and soon attack.