4.50 External hard drive issue

FERZNEXTDOOR

So, i was stoked to get a new external hard drive to use for the new 4.50 update, so i bought one for sale. The shipping took about 2 weeks, so i was finally happy when it finally came today. When i connected the 4tb external hard drive, it did not show up on usb devices, even though i tried formating it to fat32 and exFat. Im also sure it matched the criteria of it being a 3.0 usb.

http://cdon.no/elektronikk/maxell-tank-4tb-ekstern-harddisk-svart-p37665270?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Maxell+Tank+4TB+Ekstern+harddisk+(svart)&utm_content=37665270&utm_campaign=prisjakt_no_PC+-+USB-HDD+3%2C5

This was the one i bought. By the details, is this compatible for the PS4? If so does anyone have an idea of how i can fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, KingFerzad said:

The hard drive doesn't show up, so i can't really format it through that way

I know it won't in the storage section at first but what about Settings > Devices > USB Storage Devices? That's where I had to go set it up at first. I know you say it won't show up but you're not saying where it doesn't show up so that's why I ask about this particular location in the PS4 menu.

Edit: You would think you'd go to the storage area to set it up instead of having to go to a separate area but that's how they designed it for some reason.

Looking at the hard drive you purchased I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It obviously works on your computer so at least we know it's not defective.

Edited by GalrenStormbow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GalrenStormbow said:

I know it won't in the storage section at first but what about Settings > Devices > USB Storage Devices? That's where I had to go set it up at first. I know you say it won't show up but you're not saying where it doesn't show up so that's why I ask about this particular location in the PS4 menu.

Yeah, i meant the USB storage devices, sorry if i wasn't specific. It just shows up that there is no usb devices connected

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingFerzad said:

Yeah, i meant the USB storage devices, sorry if i wasn't specific. It just shows up that there is no usb devices connected

It sounds like it should have recognized it but try double checking the link ERGOPROXY-DECAY posted just to make sure. Probably a dumb question but did you turn on the external? It looks like there's a power button on it. If yes then maybe try a different cable from the drive to the PS4. It shouldn't matter but it's something to try. Also, are you plugging in the rear USB port or the front? It could also just be that the ports on the PS4 don't provide enough power for the external to work. I know on PCs not all USB ports provide the same amount of power and sometimes external drives won't work in certain USB ports because of it.

Edited by GalrenStormbow
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

I can't even get to the first step, since the drive isnt recognized

4 minutes ago, GalrenStormbow said:

It sounds like it should have recognized it but try double checking the link ERGOPROXY-DECAY posted just to make sure. Probably a dumb question but did you turn on the external? It sounds like there's a power button on it. If yes then maybe try a different cable from the drive to the PS4. It shouldn't matter but it's something to try. Also, are you plugging in the rear USB port or the front? It could also just be that the ports on the PS4 don't provide enough power for the external to work. I know on PCs not all USB ports provide the same amount of power and sometimes external drives won't work in certain USB ports because of it.

The power button is on. When it comes to the USB ports, there are only two in the front. Ive also heard that the rear usb port might help, but ive heard its only on PS4 pros, cuz i only got two in the front. Also the usb i got with the external harddrive, has a weird SS sign on it im not sure if thats the fault. 

2 minutes ago, KingFerzad said:

Do you have the usb cable plugged all the way in? I couldn't ever get my ps4 to recognize my external drive unless it was just barely plugged in enough, try pulling the cable out about 1/4 of the way and see if it shows up in the USB devices

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Wow, after i thought i had researched the whole internet about failing external hdd, im surprised how you even found this. Thanks mate, i will probably keep myself updated on that forum until somebody has an answer.

14 minutes ago, KingFerzad said:

The power button is on. When it comes to the USB ports, there are only two in the front. Ive also heard that the rear usb port might help, but ive heard its only on PS4 pros, cuz i only got two in the front. Also the usb i got with the external harddrive, has a weird SS sign on it im not sure if thats the fault. 

The SS stands for SuperSpeed, means it's USB 3.1 and has a transfer rate double that of 3.0. That won't have any negative effect on it though as it'll work just fine with standard USB 3.0 or any older versions like 2.0, etc. Ah yeah that's right, I couldn't remember what ports the regular PS4 has.

Given the above link provided, and all the people having problems with it, I'd say either the hard drive doesn't work with it the PS4 or the PS4's USB ports just don't provide enough power for it to work. If it's not enough power then you might be able to get it working with a Y adapter where the single end would plug into the external and the 2 other ends would plug into the USB ports on the PS4. Using an adapter like this doesn't always work though and of course it would take up both of your USB ports.

Edited by GalrenStormbow
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KingFerzad said:

Wow, after i thought i had researched the whole internet about failing external hdd, im surprised how you even found this. Thanks mate, i will probably keep myself updated on that forum until somebody has an answer.

Well PS4 support for externals are new, probably why never really had anything about it. I think the issue is SONY hasn't added every Externals to their firmware to accept it? Brain farting atm but you know when you plug a new device into your computer and it installs some sort of thing? Well could be that reason with PS4. You'd think the beta would had fixed all that. It seems other Maxwells are having issues too.

2 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Well PS4 support for externals are new, probably why never really had anything about it. I think the issue is SONY hasn't added every Externals to their firmware to accept it? Brain farting atm but you know when you plug a new device into your computer and it installs some sort of thing? Well could be that reason with PS4. You'd think the beta would had fixed all that. It seems other Maxwells are having issues too.

Sounds logical. Hopefully they add a new patch or something for that, or i think im better off with delivering the hdd back, and buying a new one, although many of them are expensive and i bought the cheapest one for that size

7 minutes ago, GalrenStormbow said:

The SS stands for SuperSpeed, means it's USB 3.1 and has a transfer rate double that of 3.0. That won't have any negative effect on it though as it'll work just fine with standard USB 3.0 or any older versions like 2.0, etc. Ah yeah that's right, I couldn't remember what ports the regular PS4 has.

Given the above link provided, and all the people having problems with it, I'd say either the hard drive doesn't work with it the PS4 or the PS4's USB ports just don't provide enough power for it to work. If it's not enough power then you might be able to get it working with a Y adapter where the single end would plug into the external and the 2 other ends would plug into the USB ports on the PS4. Using an adapter like this doesn't always work though and of course it would take up both of your USB ports.

Probably. Either that or ps4 hasn't added support to all the externals, like ERGOPROXY-DECAY says.

11 minutes ago, KingFerzad said:

i bought the cheapest one for that size

999kr? is that like 110$ US

Btw is there already software on the drive? say 1GB worth when you check on PC?

I personally just bought the seagate 5TB for 123$ on amazon yesterday. It also rated good for PS4. Though I do not know if they have that were you live.

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-hard-drive-for-ps4/

It's the 4th one down.

edit: fix link....

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

I have used a Seagate 4TB External Hardrive (via a databank) for over a year and had no issues. After the update it performed a database rebuild which left me worried I was going to lose/corrupt some data but everything is still working fine. 

Also have a Seagate 2TB in another PS4 and no issues so would definitely recommend the brand

Edited by cjshaitan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

999kr? is that like 110$ US

Btw is their already software on the drive? say 1GB worth when you check on PC?

I personally just bought the seagate 5TB for 123$ on amazon yesterday. It also rated good for PS4. Though I do not know if they have that were you live.

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-external-hard-drive-extended-storage-set-up/

Yeah, its about 110 dollars.And the software is already on the drive. Ill check if the seagate 5tb is in Norway, because if it is i might buy it. Does it work good?

Just now, cjshaitan said:

I have used a Seagate 4TB External Hardrive (via a databank) for over a year and had no issues. After the update its performed a database rebuild which left me worried I was lose/corrupt some data but everything is still working fine. 

Also have a Seagate 2TB in another PS4 and no issues so would definitely recommend the brand

Seagate it is then! Definitely not cheap, but it should work in contrast to the maxwell. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KingFerzad said:

Yeah, its about 110 dollars.And the software is already on the drive. Ill check if the seagate 5tb is in Norway, because if it is i might buy it. Does it work good?

It's the best one I been hearing around. And its cheap considering its a 5TB!! Some will argue its too much, you may be buying space you may never really used. I mean 5TB, jeebus! that's a lot. but its roughly 24.60$ US a TB. :facepalm: 

I have not personally used it yet, wont have it till early next week unfortunately but I know a few who is using it atm and its good. Remember to get the newer model design though if so, it has a cool texture of triangles on its faceplate.

edit: Looks like this

xFHRFLR.jpeg

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

3 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

It's the best one I been hearing around. And its cheap considering its a 5TB!! Some will argue its too much, you may be buying space you may never really used. I mean 5TB, jeebus! that's a lot. but its roughly 24.60$ US a TB. :facepalm: 

I have not personally used it yet, wont have it till early next week unfortunately but I know a few who is using it atm and its good. Remember to get the newer model design though if so, it has a cool texture of triangles on its faceplate.

Well shit, here where i live the 5TB seagate costs about 277 dollars. If im going to buy it, it will definitely be from amazon lol. It looks like the offer of 122 dollars for the hard drive still is there. Hopefully the shipping won't be expensive :)

2 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

Does the hard drive have multiple partitions on it? On earlier firmwares my PS4 wouldn't recognize it if there was more than one partition.

Im not sure exactly what partitions are, and the explanations on google seem advanced. How can i find out how many partitions my hdd has?

4 minutes ago, KingFerzad said:

Hopefully the shipping won't be expensive :)

Shipping is free if above 35$ from amazon at least that is how I always know it for me, But then im from US -_-. I do not know other countries, so sorry, haha.

4 minutes ago, KingFerzad said:

Im not sure exactly what partitions are, and the explanations on google seem advanced. How can i find out how many partitions my hdd has?

The easiest way to tell would be if you see two new lettered drives (E :, F :, etc.) on your PC when you plug it in to the PC. If there's an unlettered partition then you'll need to do a little more to find out. This page has some easy to follow instructions for how to do that.

4 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

The easiest way to tell would be if you see two new lettered drives (E :, F :, etc.) on your PC when you plug it in to the PC. If there's an unlettered partition then you'll need to do a little more to find out. This page has some easy to follow instructions for how to do that.

Only 1 lettered drives shows up, so thats probably not the case. Thanks anyways mate

6 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Shipping is free if above 35$ from amazon at least that is how I always know it for me, But then im from US -_-. I do not know other countries, so sorry, haha.

Lucky americans, hopefully its free for me to :D

Either the drive is defective or it's one of those drives that gets it's power source through the system it's connected to rather than through an external power source. If it doesn't have an external power source than the issue probably has something to do with your PS4 not supplying the external drive with enough juice to work.

33 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

edit: Looks like this

xFHRFLR.jpeg

For the record this is the drive I own and it works. This drive requires an external power source (So it comes with it's own power cord to that you have to plug into a electricity outlet) in order to work.

I also own a 1 TB external drive that is powered by the device it's connected to and it's working perfectly on my little brother's PS4 as well. I imagine a 4 or 5 TB drive takes up a lot more juice to work than a 1 TB drive though.